HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: To Alcohol! The Cause of & Solution To All of Life's Problems

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 500
In Pittsburgh with my Dad and Mum from 2nd-7th October. Then 7th (PM) -9th in New York.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
What kinda chip you got in there...a Dorito?

Old
07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

If HFBoards had a 'like' feature, I'd like the above post.

Also one of the best Simpsons lines ever takes place in front of a Coleco...

In less fun news...my back keeps getting worse and I'm going to end up having to do something about this eventually...out-of-pocket medical expenses when you're unable to work because of a pre-existing condition...this is just glorious. In the interim the clinic gave me some real big boy painkillers this time around, so at least I have something to get me through the next couple weeks.

My return to Montana next week isn't going to be quite as I had planned. I'm pretty sure my trip to Glacier National Park is going to just involve me sitting in front of a lake while tripping balls. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but my planned hike to Iceberg Lake definitely is out of the picture.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 07-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

so Pierce left community and Troy is in a reduced role? Well, I can officially just google Alison Brie gifs instead of actually watching the show now

Old
07-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

looking for a TV show to watch. Just finished Buffy and Angel and I'm all caught up on the newer shows that I care about. I think I have it down to Battlestar Galactica or The Wire. Maybe Twin Peaks. Maybe Mad Men, but I think I'd prefer it to be something that is finished. Anyone have any input or other suggestions? I wouldn't rule out a comedy either.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Try Fringe or Luther. You can get through Luther a lot quicker, but episodes are close to an hour long.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Twin Peaks is great and when it dips in quality it doubles as a fascinatingly brilliant comedic pastiche.

Last edited by Crafton: 07-27-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 10:22 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

My roommate and I started watching Miami Vice this week. Now there's a top notch program. Action and style.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
looking for a TV show to watch. Just finished Buffy and Angel and I'm all caught up on the newer shows that I care about. I think I have it down to Battlestar Galactica or The Wire. Maybe Twin Peaks. Maybe Mad Men, but I think I'd prefer it to be something that is finished. Anyone have any input or other suggestions? I wouldn't rule out a comedy either.
The Wire takes a few episodes to really get into, but it's quite possibly the best show ever.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Did anyone mention Lost? **** the haters, it's awesome

But you can't go wrong with The Wire, either.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
My roommate and I started watching Miami Vice this week. Now there's a top notch program. Action and style.
One of the best of all time.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Adam-12. now that's a ****ing cop show.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Twin Peaks is a must...I really need to go back and finish it. I've had the opposite trouble in that I've only been watching shows still on the air.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
The Wire takes a few episodes to really get into, but it's quite possibly the best show ever.
ya I've heard its incredible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Did anyone mention Lost? **** the haters, it's awesome

But you can't go wrong with The Wire, either.
I've seen Lost. Probably the most addictive show I've watched just because every single episode is a ridiculous cliffhanger. It could have been better in a lot of ways, but I still love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Twin Peaks is a must...I really need to go back and finish it. I've had the opposite trouble in that I've only been watching shows still on the air.
Summer break from teaching has given me a lot of free time This is the first summer I've had off without a summer job since probably 9th grade. And even then, I had a paper route and soccer practice

Old
07-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
ya I've heard its incredible

I've seen Lost. Probably the most addictive show I've watched just because every single episode is a ridiculous cliffhanger. It could have been better in a lot of ways, but I still love it.

Summer break from teaching has given me a lot of free time This is the first summer I've had off without a summer job since probably 9th grade. And even then, I had a paper route and soccer practice
i absolutely loved bsg. i kept hearing about how great it was but the idea of watching a show with the word galactica in it just sounded too lame to me. but damn it was great. totally regret not watching it sooner.

i liked it more than breaking bad and sopranos, which i just finished.

the wire is the next show ill be watching when i have time.

i doubt you could go wrong with the wire vs. bsg, but if you like sci-fi i would encourage you to watch that first... if not maybe do the wire then bsg.

also if you liked buffy you obviously have to watch firefly. 12 or so episodes plus a movie, not too much of a commitment.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I've already seen Firefly and the movie at least 3 or 4 times each Eventually I need to watch Dollhouse, but I feel like a change of pace from Whedon for a bit. I'm probably going to go with Twin Peaks or BSG, and then the other of them just because they are both complete on Hulu.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i absolutely loved bsg. i kept hearing about how great it was but the idea of watching a show with the word galactica in it just sounded too lame to me. but damn it was great. totally regret not watching it sooner.

i liked it more than breaking bad and sopranos, which i just finished.

the wire is the next show ill be watching when i have time.

i doubt you could go wrong with the wire vs. bsg, but if you like sci-fi i would encourage you to watch that first... if not maybe do the wire then bsg.

also if you liked buffy you obviously have to watch firefly. 12 or so episodes plus a movie, not too much of a commitment.
I've never watched it due to the exact lame situation you mention....maybe I should start

Old
07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
I have only seen Twin Peaks and The Wire, but my vote is for Twin Peaks. Yes, The Wire is ultimately the better show and probably the best ever, but:

1. Twin Peaks is half the total length of The Wire (29 episodes + movie).
2. TP is uniquely funny, dramatic, suspenseful.
3. The Wire is pretty much no-nonsense and mostly depressing so don't expect to feel particularly good about yourself after each episode.
4. TP has a much better first and last episode. Probably the best final episode of any series.
5. After TP, you'll likely be interested in other stuff David Lynch has done which will result in watching some higher quality films he has done and possibly lead to the same with similar 'art house film' directors.
6. Applying #5 to the Wire will lead to Homicide: Life on the Streets, which leads back to #3.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
6. Applying #5 to the Wire will lead to Homicide: Life on the Streets, which leads back to #3.
funny story about the David Simon 'universe'. when i started watching Treme, i absolutely would not give the Jon Seda character the time-of-day. i still held him responsible for playing his part in ruining H:LOTS. seconded for McNulty's ex-wife in The Wire...

but Seda does a pretty good job on Treme and Callie Thorne has some USA Network show about being a sports psychologist (anyone seen it? any good?)

Old
07-28-2013, 04:01 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

As a police officer, I ****ing hate most cop shows. Southland was pretty entertaining, though, if you're into those.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

ok, I'm going to go with Twin Peaks since its a shorter series. Thanks for the input folks. I'll get to the wire and BSG another time.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
UnrealMachine

Speaking of TP/Lynch, I (re-)watched Mulholland Drive with my gf last night. It was her first Lynch film and she was more or less confused/terrified afterwards and mildly angry with me for suggesting it. She was on the internet within minutes of the conclusion looking for answers (I provided my own interpretation which is close to the consensus one). Such a great movie!

Old
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

The cheese steak is the only aspect of Philadelphiana that I care about. It had been so long since I had a truly good one. Fortunately there just so happens to be a pretty authentic place in Tucson. They even import Amoroso's rolls and Tastykakes.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
invictus

Big, what do you think of the original Solaris? It was my first Tarkovsky.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
66-29-33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlUx49SBWI

**** yeah!

Closed Thread