HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Part III: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1461713

Carry on!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:53 PM
duster19

vCash: 500
@crew. I don't think strome is a big physical center. Nelson might be...the question is he a top 6 guy. I think he could be, he's a nice player. Might take some time to figure that out. Heck, I'm ok with all of them being top 6 guys, not everyone has to play center and not everyone has to be in the top 6. Is it a bad thing to have talent on your bottom 6? Besides we are going to have openings in the top 6 soon...Bouchard is a stop gap. Bailey might be a 1 yr, moulson is a tough decision this year.

If the price is right it really doesn't hurt. Makes us better right away. Adding talent is a good thing...we need to, as long as price is right.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:50 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
@crew. I don't think strome is a big physical center. Nelson might be...the question is he a top 6 guy. I think he could be, he's a nice player. Might take some time to figure that out. Heck, I'm ok with all of them being top 6 guys, not everyone has to play center and not everyone has to be in the top 6. Is it a bad thing to have talent on your bottom 6? Besides we are going to have openings in the top 6 soon...Bouchard is a stop gap. Bailey might be a 1 yr, moulson is a tough decision this year.

If the price is right it really doesn't hurt. Makes us better right away. Adding talent is a good thing...we need to, as long as price is right.
But what is that price?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
But what is that price?
The million dollar question. Personally I think Edm has eyes for reinhart. Obviously I think reinhart for gagner is to much. I do really like Darnell nurse...maybe something can be worked out there. Dealing Edm definitely makes Edm thin at c. Maybe Bouchard going back the other way? Tough answer. Would be interesting to know if Garth and macT had a conversation and what was discussed

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Just something to chew on. Usually after the draft and the big moves are over the Isles send the message that they are more or less done with additions. I don't recall hearing that this off season.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Just something to chew on. Usually after the draft and the big moves are over the Isles send the message that they are more or less done with additions. I don't recall hearing that this off season.
Exactly, this. I found it odd that we haven't heard Art Staples usual: "Isles are done with moves for now... unless something comes up unexpected... what you see is what you will see in camp... blah blah blah.

I wasn't sure if they were still looking to make moves... or if the Isles just figured I should know better by now.

Last edited by Chairman Wang: 07-15-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
But what is that price?
I don't expect Strome to be a big,physical center. I am hoping 6'4 Nelson fills that role.

Snow did reportedly have interest in big Vinny LeCavalair (sp), but not at the term and salary Philly gave him.

If Snow does not even kick the tires in $5m-$6m Ryan/Seguin, I have a tough time seeing him in the mix for less talented Gagner, who's going to get $4.5m-$5m for giving up a few ufa yrs.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
With Poulin coming off a disappointing season and Nilson his mystery illness, I am hoping the isles backup spot , has to be earned by a strong training camp.

If Poulin/Nelson falter, I hope Snow pursues a Hiller/Halak trade.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:21 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't expect Strome to be a big,physical center. I am hoping 6'4 Nelson fills that role.

Snow did reportedly have interest in big Vinny LeCavalair (sp), but not at the term and salary Philly gave him.

If Snow does not even kick the tires in $5m-$6m Ryan/Seguin, I have a tough time seeing him in the mix for less talented Gagner, who's going to get $4.5m-$5m for giving up a few ufa yrs.
I didn't know the isles were in on vinny. Where did you come across that?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Macch

Quote:

I dont think they were "in" on Vinny; more of Snow doing his "due diligence"

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
There is July 2nd tweet from Staple, where he said the Isles inquired, but did not like the salary or term.

VL got 5 yrs at $4.5m per. Staple did not mention what Snow offered.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
There is July 2nd tweet from Staple, where he said the Isles inquired, but did not like the salary or term.

I remember reading that as well, and frankly, it was the right move to steer clear of Vinny, even though I think he's still a very good hockey player. I really doubt it went any further than just an inquiry, I don't think they even got close to an offer.

As much as I'd like Snow (and Wang) to open the wallet and spend at least to the midway point of the cap, the UFA market is just bad business, for the top tier, anyway.

Leafs fans are all gaga over Clarkson. The front page of the Toronto Sun ran a "Wendel Clarkson" full page, front page the next day. Clarkson isn't much better than Clutterbuck/McDonald - yes, he'll score more goals but he's nowhere close what Wendel was when he was a Leaf! The Leafs had Gary Roberts at the end of his career as well, and he was a shell of his former self, but still a very solid player. And Vinny's in that same ball-park - but he'd be the second highest paid player after Tavares? Same for Clarkson? Crazy.

Quote:
I think Isles FANS like the idea of Gagner, who JT knew from his earlier years and who might be "available" - but I think everythiing depends on the price.

Ryan was dealt for the equivalent of Strome, Nelson, #1 pick (not suggesting this would have got the deal done but it's roughly the equivalent offer in terms of assets). Pretty steep price for a team that's "rebuilding"? (If we're still calling it that)

On Seguin, I just don't like the guy and I think he's very overrated. I'm glad they didn't make a pitch for him. Chiarelli's a smart GM. If this was just about Twitter and being a dumbass, they would have worked through it.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:

I wanted the isles to offer more money per year and less term to see if vinny would bite. Oh well...

Old
07-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Leafs fans are all gaga over Clarkson. The front page of the Toronto Sun ran a "Wendel Clarkson" full page, front page the next day. Clarkson isn't much better than Clutterbuck/McDonald - yes, he'll score more goals but he's nowhere close what Wendel was when he was a Leaf! The Leafs had Gary Roberts at the end of his career as well, and he was a shell of his former self, but still a very solid player. And Vinny's in that same ball-park - but he'd be the second highest paid player after Tavares? Same for Clarkson? Crazy.
It is utter insanity. And I can't wait until he ends up getting something like 12-16-28 this season and people up there are wondering "What da *$&%?"

Maybe the astute fans in Leafville already are.

What I found even more, well, ironic is that new management went about ridding itself of the higher priced Burke guys (Liles, Komisarek, Grabovski) just to turn around and dish out a very similar, very risky contract of the same ilk.

Baffling IMHO.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:07 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Islanders have signed Josh Bailey to a 5 year deal.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
With Poulin coming off a disappointing season and Nilson his mystery illness, I am hoping the isles backup spot , has to be earned by a strong training camp.

If Poulin/Nelson falter, I hope Snow pursues a Hiller/Halak trade.
As much as I'd want Hiller I think that's too rash a move at this time.

Bring in Jose Theodore on a tryout if he isn't signed. I feel he would be perfect in the backup role and if Nabby goes down he can be a workhorse if needed.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:43 PM
BennyBST

How about signing some depth players for Bridgeport, can use a defenseman (Brett Carson, Colton Teubert) and 2 forwards (Colton Gillies, Ryan Russell, Nick Palmieri). Bridgeport need some veterans that can mesh in with our prospects as well as guys who have some NHL experience to step in on a callup.

Thoughts?

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:03 PM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
How about signing some depth players for Bridgeport, can use a defenseman (Brett Carson, Colton Teubert) and 2 forwards (Colton Gillies, Ryan Russell, Nick Palmieri). Bridgeport need some veterans that can mesh in with our prospects as well as guys who have some NHL experience to step in on a callup.

Thoughts?
I am sure at some point Snow will sign 3-4 guys on two-way contracts for depth and to help fill-out Bridgeport Sound Tigers roster.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy

Capellini: Islanders Are Building A Team To Last The Test Of Time

Great read, came off WFAN.com no less too.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...-test-of-time/

HammyNyIslesCupCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
As much as I'd want Hiller I think that's too rash a move at this time.

Bring in Jose Theodore on a tryout if he isn't signed. I feel he would be perfect in the backup role and if Nabby goes down he can be a workhorse if needed.
I'd be in favor of Theodore getting a camp invite.

If Cappy has no faith in Poulin again, he will end overworking Nabby again.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyNyIslesCupCrazy View Post
Great read, came off WFAN.com no less too.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...-test-of-time/

Don't know why the mods moved this but in any case

Awsome article and great read...

I posted it when Nino was traded that We are building a team full of bothers and ita more like a family....

I have great respect for the fact that the Isles have standards and have drawn a line in the sand and wont compromise the bigger picture....

Also we may all hate that in the past that we didn't land free agents an Wang was cheap but we have to take into account that the teams future was a big question mark and the county was not playing ball.Thats not an issue anymore..

Also every player raves about how incredible the organization treats them....

I love what we are building and cant wait too see what becomes of us the next few years and beyond...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Seeing how they just signed Bailey, it is time for an update:

The knowns:
The Cap is $64 Million.
The Floor is $44 million.
Isle's 2013-14 salary (with 2 way exclusions) to date: $46.5 Mill
This total does not include Lee, Nelson, Finley, or Donovan.

Hickey is the remaining unsigned RFA besides Ulstrom. I want to assume he is a cool $1 Mill or less, but given the overpayment on Clusterbutz and Irish Cream anything is possible.

What all this crap means:
- Some of the kids on 2 way contracts will be coming up. You can add at least another million, probably two million to the estimated salary total because of it but hard to see exactly and when they are up.
- We are no longer an "at salary floor team." We will probably clear the floor by $5 million on any given night.

The only unknown: the league revenue sharing check. I was figuring around $5 million for that as the Isles only qualify for half a payment. I know the league wants to see them add payroll to be more competitive.

I would still like to see a good goaltender brought in, but at least there is a solid sign of commitment from Wang towards the payroll.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 07-16-2013 at 01:14 AM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
NYI91

Love this quote:

Quote:
Snow is building a family, and not the equivalent of the hockey Mansons. Its core is going to be together a long time. I just don’t see how, with player progression and maturity coupled with the front office’s commitment to the course it has charted, the Islanders won’t one day be extremely good.
Has me extremely hopeful for the future

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:28 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post

Thoughts?
This is why I thought we should have resigned Aucoin. He's a good role model for those guys and can always be called up. I would rather have Aucoin step in if needed than an inexperienced player, especially in a clutch game. I guess the cards didn't fall and Aucoin has gone another route..possibly back to the Marlies.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:24 AM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
This is why I thought we should have resigned Aucoin. He's a good role model for those guys and can always be called up. I would rather have Aucoin step in if needed than an inexperienced player, especially in a clutch game. I guess the cards didn't fall and Aucoin has gone another route..possibly back to the Marlies.
he was signed by St Louis 1yr/625k

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote