HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Seeing how they just signed Bailey, it is time for an update:

The knowns:
The Cap is $64 Million.
The Floor is $44 million.
Isle's 2013-14 salary (with 2 way exclusions) to date: $46.5 Mill
This total does not include Lee, Nelson, Finley, or Donovan.

Hickey is the remaining unsigned RFA besides Ulstrom. I want to assume he is a cool $1 Mill or less, but given the overpayment on Clusterbutz and Irish Cream anything is possible.

What all this crap means:
- Some of the kids on 2 way contracts will be coming up. You can add at least another million, probably two million to the estimated salary total because of it but hard to see exactly and when they are up.
- We are no longer an "at salary floor team." We will probably clear the floor by $5 million on any given night.

The only unknown: the league revenue sharing check. I was figuring around $5 million for that as the Isles only qualify for half a payment. I know the league wants to see them add payroll to be more competitive.

I would still like to see a good goaltender brought in, but at least there is a solid sign of commitment from Wang towards the payroll.
I doubt Hickey gets any huge deal. I would be surprised if he got more that Strait. He really has no leverage. He may just have to sign his QO.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
seabass45

Can you imagine Garth dropping an offer sheet on one of the top RFA defensemen now that all of our core is set? I can't, but the mere thought of it happening is delicious. We're STILL set to have the lowest payroll in the league.

seabass45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:33 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I doubt Hickey gets any huge deal. I would be surprised if he got more that Strait. He really has no leverage. He may just have to sign his QO.
Snow's been busy with higher priorities to address. Hickey is last on the agenda. I'd prefer Hickey accept his QO, but a 2-year deal wouldn't be bad either. He's our new Bruno/Hillen who can fill in different spots, but is a depth d-men when it's all said and done. He's probably just another place holder until the giants start to arrive.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Didnt see it mentioned here but Dustin Penner signed a 1yr $2m deal with the Anaheim Ducks.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:28 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I was going through the list of UFAs and noticed Della Rovere unsigned. I know he had knee surgery, but man did he ever fall off the face of the earth. It almost seems like yesterday I was listening to Pierre Mcguire vomit and gush all over him during the draft. Now he is less than zero.

Would he be worth an AHL signing?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:52 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

We still need a legit backup goalie.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

In our minds maybe, but not Snow's. Can't blame him for wanting to give Nilsson and Poulin a chance. If they're hurting us that bad, we have the assets to get someone at the trade deadline.

Great avatar btw

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:45 AM
duster19

Quote:
i think so to. burned us last year hard...not a tremendous amount of guys out there, though

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
Not much out there anymore unless the Isles take a shot at Bryz or Hedberg. I'm guessing both are highly unlikely.

Poulin/Nilsson will battle for the backup job.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Not much out there anymore unless the Isles take a shot at Bryz or Hedberg. I'm guessing both are highly unlikely.

Poulin/Nilsson will battle for the backup job.
With a full 82 game season, Poulin should get a good look this year, it's his make it or break it season. Nilsson will be given a year to get back on track after the illness last season. The Isles are giving them both a chance with Nabby back for 1 year.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:31 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I think we should be fine in net. By the time we realize Poulin can't handle it(if that happens), we should be at least a quarter of the way through the season. At that point I'm sure Nilsson will be good to go. We need to take advantage of this season to see what we really have with these two guys. If it doesn't work out, we'll have a strong UFA class to fall back on next offseason.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Not saying this re: the Isles necessarily, but it is kind of interesting the Bryz hasn't signed in the KHL yet. Based on everything, including his market value, you'd think the KHL would be his better option. Unless he wants to stay in the NHL and in NA. If so, I'll bet he'd be interested in the Isles (even if they're not interested in him). Relatively low pressure environment with a chance to stick it to Philly in the same division while they're paying him buyout money.

I guess no rush from his perspective though....

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think we should be fine in net. By the time we realize Poulin can't handle it(if that happens), we should be at least a quarter of the way through the season. At that point I'm sure Nilsson will be good to go. We need to take advantage of this season to see what we really have with these two guys. If it doesn't work out, we'll have a strong UFA class to fall back on next offseason.
I predict that by December one of the most popular gifs on our board will be one with a beach ball getting by Poulin. It may or may not include a sound track.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
duster19

Quote:
I predict that by December one of the most popular gifs on our board will be one with a beach ball getting by Poulin. It may or may not include a sound track.
Hahaha

I'm terrified nab by is going to go down early and were going to get raked over the coals for a goalie or bring in a cheap fill in and watch this team flounder

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Hahaha

I'm terrified nab by is going to go down early and were going to get raked over the coals for a goalie or bring in a cheap fill in and watch this team flounder
You mean like a MacDonald/Danis combo lol....those were the days!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:33 AM
leaponover

Quote:
I was going through the list of UFAs and noticed Della Rovere unsigned. I know he had knee surgery, but man did he ever fall off the face of the earth. It almost seems like yesterday I was listening to Pierre Mcguire vomit and gush all over him during the draft. Now he is less than zero.

Would he be worth an AHL signing?
I don't know why McGuire would be so high on him. He was selected in the 7th round! Doesn't look like he's ever been anything to get excited about....

Old
07-18-2013, 01:51 AM
leaponover

So Mason Raymond is still a UFA? Has he been bad lately, the guy can fly!

Old
07-18-2013, 07:59 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Wow, how quickly this guy has fallen. Nilsson too. A year ago most people were high on both goalies.

For '13-14 to be a complete disaster, we'll need all 4 of these things to happen:

1) Nabby to either get hurt or decline drastically
2) Poulin to prove he's a mediocre/poor NHL goalie
3) Nilsson to prove he's a mediocre/poor NHL goalie
4) can't find a reliable option via trade

Maybe I'm just a glass-half-full kind of guy, but I have a hard time seeing all four of those scenarios happening. Even Poulin and Nilsson. Not too long ago both were thought to have #1 NHL upside. They are both at the age where goalies generally start breaking through at the NHL level(both are 23, and will turn 24 by the end of next season). Personally, I see big upside in Nilsson, but aside from that I wouldn't be surprised to see Poulin become a decent NHLer. At least a reasonable backup.

IMO, we'll be fine. If not, well, throw every penny and year available at Lundqvist in the offseason.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:29 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Horton out 4-6 months (shoulder surgery)

So glad we didn't sign this guy,

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/94...rgery-shoulder

07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
One would have to assume the Blue Jackets knew about this. I mean if not, bush league by Horton. However, in retrospect it is not the worst possible thing. We had players come back form shoulder surgeries.

Of course they overpaid. That is typically what oyu get when you sign "big name players." Keep in mind though, between Gaborik and Horton they Blue Jackets have two very good Right Wingers.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
One would have to assume the Blue Jackets knew about this. I mean if not, bush league by Horton. However, in retrospect it is not the worst possible thing. We had players come back form shoulder surgeries.

Of course they overpaid. That is typically what oyu get when you sign "big name players." Keep in mind though, between Gaborik and Horton they Blue Jackets have two very good Right Wingers.
True, but also streaky and fragile...

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:09 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

At the Horton's press conference the day he signed (shown on TSN/NHL Network), they said the earliest Horton would be back is December because of the surgery. So obviously, the Jackets knew.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:42 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Wow, how quickly this guy has fallen. Nilsson too. A year ago most people were high on both goalies.

For '13-14 to be a complete disaster, we'll need all 4 of these things to happen:

1) Nabby to either get hurt or decline drastically
2) Poulin to prove he's a mediocre/poor NHL goalie
3) Nilsson to prove he's a mediocre/poor NHL goalie
4) can't find a reliable option via trade

Maybe I'm just a glass-half-full kind of guy, but I have a hard time seeing all four of those scenarios happening. Even Poulin and Nilsson. Not too long ago both were thought to have #1 NHL upside. They are both at the age where goalies generally start breaking through at the NHL level(both are 23, and will turn 24 by the end of next season). Personally, I see big upside in Nilsson, but aside from that I wouldn't be surprised to see Poulin become a decent NHLer. At least a reasonable backup.

IMO, we'll be fine. If not, well, throw every penny and year available at Lundqvist in the offseason.
Nilsson is the only hope, IMO. Nabby doesn't really have far to fall, and Poulin is significantly flawed. Waiting for option 4 would probably include waiting until the trade deadline. By then the damage will have been done. Of course Nilsson has celiac or something similar, and does not seem to be in control of it yet. I don't see much to hope for here.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
we have a back up, we still need a starter

I love Nabby and am glad hes back but do we really think hes going too be great for 60+ games....IDK

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Duchene has signed an extension with the Avs... Again the JT extension is looking fantastic:

Quote:
@SWhyno: Matt Duchesne's contract is 5 years for $30M. #Avs
https://twitter.com/swhyno/status/357948813413072896

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote