HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Yeah, we're talking about millions of dollars. Tell your wife to go to the spa and get on the ****ing phone for a couple hours.

This honeymoon nonsense reeks of ********. I think teams are just put off by a guy they perceive as a malcontent. He'll end up on some team that throws together mercenaries like Carolina or Phoenix or something.
Wow, you guys are way too harsh with this! The frenzy ended and signings are usually days and days apart. The guy is doing the responsible thing and sending a clear message to his NEW wife that she is number 1. Geez, it's okay to be bitter, jaded and fickle but keep it to your personality and don't try to pass it on to other people. He's not going to LOSE millions of dollars by not picking up the phone for a week or two. In fact, many free agents hold out and end up making more. Get a grip!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Gagner is asking for $5.5m in arbitration. He is scheduled to become a ufa next summer.Edmonton would like to sign him to a multi yr extension.

I am hoping he losses in arbitration. We are not even through the first summer, since the lockout and we are back to facepalm salaries.
Yeah, that is nuts. It's like giving Comeau a huge raise after he put up a 24 goal season (finally). Gagner has not shown to have turned any corner yet. He needs another season to erase the fluke factor.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Wow, you guys are way too harsh with this! The frenzy ended and signings are usually days and days apart. The guy is doing the responsible thing and sending a clear message to his NEW wife that she is number 1. Geez, it's okay to be bitter, jaded and fickle but keep it to your personality and don't try to pass it on to other people. He's not going to LOSE millions of dollars by not picking up the phone for a week or two. In fact, many free agents hold out and end up making more. Get a grip!
Aint that the truth?!?! It seems like since I started reading these boards I have been saying the same thing over and over to myself on a a somewhat daily basis, it's an old gem from Bill Hicks : "Beliefs are neat. Cherish them, but don't share them like they're the truth".

Words to live by. And now thanks to the Hockeys future message boards I get to daily reminders.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Wow, you guys are way too harsh with this! The frenzy ended and signings are usually days and days apart.
That's fine. I just think the honeymoon thing is a load. You're telling me that teams are calling with contracts in hand and he's saying, "Hey, wait a few weeks! I'm on vacation." That's ludicrous. IMO, teams are put off in the same way teams were put off by Semin last year.

Quote:
The guy is doing the responsible thing and sending a clear message to his NEW wife that she is number 1.
That's cute.

Quote:
Geez, it's okay to be bitter, jaded and fickle but keep it to your personality and don't try to pass it on to other people.
How about I'll do what I want. Thanks.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:25 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Yeah, we're talking about millions of dollars. Tell your wife to go to the spa and get on the ****ing phone for a couple hours.

This honeymoon nonsense reeks of ********. I think teams are just put off by a guy they perceive as a malcontent. He'll end up on some team that throws together mercenaries like Carolina or Phoenix or something.
Peter Regin, the anti-Grabovski:

"In the article, Regin is quoted discussing how he long had the Isles in his sights, so the decision when free agency opened was a quick one that he made while in a taxi cab on the way back from the golf course."

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...nders-contract

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Jester9881

Bailey - Tavares - PMB/Strome
Moulson - Nelson - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

Drop the puck already

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:12 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Bailey - Tavares - PMB/Strome
Moulson - Nelson - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

Drop the puck already
I can not see Nelson jumping right to second line center. He'll have to earn that. If he has a good camp, he'll either be our 3rd line center or play wing on the 2nd line.

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

That's 4 solid lines that can all put the puck in the net. Would not be surprised to see each 4th liner score 30 points each.

IF Strome blows away the coaches at camp, I see him making the team over Nelson. It's going to be an intense camp, both Strome and Nelson will be fighting tooth and nail to make the NHL. And lets not forget Regin, who may keep both Nelson and Strome out of the NHL if he impresses.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:20 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I can not see Nelson jumping right to second line center. He'll have to earn that. If he has a good camp, he'll either be our 3rd line center or play wing on the 2nd line.

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

That's 4 solid lines that can all put the puck in the net. Would not be surprised to see each 4th liner score 30 points each.

IF Strome blows away the coaches at camp, I see him making the team over Nelson. It's going to be an intense camp, both Strome and Nelson will be fighting tooth and nail to make the NHL. And lets not forget Regin, who may keep both Nelson and Strome out of the NHL if he impresses.
I think it could be a mistake to get hung up on labels like "2nd" or "3rd" center. An argument could be made that Neilsen would be a better fit with Grabner and Clutterbuck or McDonald than Nelson. It seems unimportant which line we label 2nd or 3rd particularly because it seems safe to assume that Neilsen, as the most defensively responsible forward on the team, will get major minutes regardless.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:22 PM
leaponover

Quote:

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I think Regin might be this years Aucoin. I think because of Regin, Strome or Nelson are going to have to be absolute studs in camp with no doubts on the table if they are going to make the jump. I also agree there is very little chance that Nelson comes in as the #2 center. That's laughable to me.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:27 PM
leaponover

Quote:
That's fine. I just think the honeymoon thing is a load. You're telling me that teams are calling with contracts in hand and he's saying, "Hey, wait a few weeks! I'm on vacation." That's ludicrous. IMO, teams are put off in the same way teams were put off by Semin last year.

That's cute.

How about I'll do what I want. Thanks.
Yeah, i'm telling you that teams are calling his agent and the agent is saying that he's on his honeymoon for a week or two and when he comes back i'll run the offers by him. Is that really SO HARD for you to believe? Do you schedule job interviews while you are out of town on vacation? ESPECIALLY since he's the type of player that teams may want to interview with before signing. So what is the difference between "I'll get back to you after my honeymoon" or "i'm interested" and scheduling an interview when he gets back from his honeymoon. Either way the team has to wait....

Old
07-21-2013, 11:53 PM
duster19

Quote:

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I think you are right. It is definitely a battle between Nelson and regin, but some of it will come down how the d shapes out in camp.

I wouldn't rule Garth wanting to play Nelson and strome together in bp for a bit.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Yeah, i'm telling you that teams are calling his agent and the agent is saying that he's on his honeymoon for a week or two and when he comes back i'll run the offers by him.
Ok, so apparently you have some information that I wasn't aware of since you know he's gotten offers. Sorry. I just thought that maybe a guy that got bought out and called the respected coach a ****ing idiot on the way out may have GMs wary of that kind of nonsense.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
I think Regin might be this years Aucoin. I think because of Regin, Strome or Nelson are going to have to be absolute studs in camp with no doubts on the table if they are going to make the jump. I also agree there is very little chance that Nelson comes in as the #2 center. That's laughable to me.
Yeah, I think the signings of Regin and PMB all but ensure that both Nelson and Strome at least start the season in Bridgeport. They'll get their opportunities in the NHL at some point this year though.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Yeah, I think the signings of Regin and PMB all but ensure that both Nelson and Strome at least start the season in Bridgeport. They'll get their opportunities in the NHL at some point this year though.
If thats what Garth ends up doing I wouldnt be surprised and it probably wouldnt hurt either nelson or strome....but as a fan, i would be extremely disappointed especially if either strome or nelson have a great camp and proves they can contribute this year.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

If you give the old adage "Don't fix what isn't broken" any weight in the matter, one has to think that the Nielsen-Okposo pairing is pretty much fixed going into the season.

Normally we'd say this about Moulson-Tavares as well, but after seeing them split up in the POs, one would have to think that the team is looking to transition JT to a few new wingers.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Hipietro

Jagr to the Devils

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I see the middle 6 as interchangble, either one can be a 2nd or 3rd line.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Jagr heading to New Jersey.. I really wanted him on the team and felt he would of been a great player for JT to work with, even if he is in his 40's. A player like Jagr would of been a huge addition in that locker room for the team overall.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:43 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Jagr heading to New Jersey.. I really wanted him on the team and felt he would of been a great player for JT to work with, even if he is in his 40's. A player like Jagr would of been a huge addition in that locker room for the team overall.

He's very Nabakov-like as far as his locker room presence, so I agree with ya there. AND, he actually was playing quite well for Dallas this year, I believe he was their leading scorer when traded. He just had some bad luck with Boston, hitting several posts during the playoffs. Still had 10 assists during the playoffs. It would have been fun seeing him on JT's line.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Devils are by far the slowest team now in the NHL.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:50 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
don't forget, Moulson is a UFA after this year. Clifford is a 22 year old RFA. we would still have Bailey and Grabner as our skilled LW's. and yes, we also have Clutterbuck and McDonald, but we also are very soft up the middle. JT (he is very tough, but we don't want him banging too much), Neilson (marshmallow), Cizikas (he brings it, but doesn't have the size), and Regin.

what's wrong with some grit on every line? come playoff time, we will be wishing we had more guys like Clifford...
You need to score in the playoffs too.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Yep. We're fine I think with grit. Have to remember you need a fair balance all around between skill, speed and grit. Throw in two way forwards as well and we have it all up front IMO.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I wasn't for or against him playing here. Maybe he would have been a nice addition but honestly i'm betting he never even gave us a thought as a team he would consider.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
duster19

Quote:
You need goaltending in the playoffs....we're not going anywhere with nabby

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:18 PM
rikker

Quote:
yes. but i believe that it is a popular thought, that a 'defensive' game is easier to master (not that you can actually master a skilled game...). given our budget, it is obvious that we should not be expecting a lot of skill to be on our roster.

if we replace Moulson with a guy that scores 25 goals (not unreasonable expectation of Bailey, when playing with JT), and Moulson's replacement, in this case Clifford, can help to reduce goals against by 15, are we not better? not to mention that guys like Clifford help our smaller, skilled guys, play 'bigger'.

rikker is online now   Reply With Quote