HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I wasn't for or against him playing here. Maybe he would have been a nice addition but honestly i'm betting he never even gave us a thought as a team he would consider.
I'd think differently. He's going to a punch-less Devils team to be their big point producer, the replacement for them losing Kovy. I think Jagr still feels he has a lot to prove, and a lot of hockey to play... and most likely wanted a important role for whomever he played for. At this stage of his life, where normally he'd be some team's 2nd line winger.. he is going into NJ as their top winger. I'd bet he would have played for any team that could give him the money and role he wanted, including the Islanders.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I can not see Nelson jumping right to second line center. He'll have to earn that. If he has a good camp, he'll either be our 3rd line center or play wing on the 2nd line.

I see the lines as

Moulson-Tavares-PMB
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

That's 4 solid lines that can all put the puck in the net. Would not be surprised to see each 4th liner score 30 points each.

IF Strome blows away the coaches at camp, I see him making the team over Nelson. It's going to be an intense camp, both Strome and Nelson will be fighting tooth and nail to make the NHL. And lets not forget Regin, who may keep both Nelson and Strome out of the NHL if he impresses.
I prefer Bailey playing with Tavares over Moulson. I thought Bailey and JT complemented each other nicely last year. I honestly think Moulson hinders JT's game to a degree and forces JT to carry too much of the load.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:49 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I prefer Bailey playing with Tavares over Moulson. I thought Bailey and JT complemented each other nicely last year. I honestly think Moulson hinders JT's game to a degree and forces JT to carry too much of the load.
its an interesting central question: would JT benefit from having a puck carrier on his line?

generally on these boards the accepted answer is: yes, he would! However i can't help but think that it could be possible that he benefits more from having the puck on his tape than a 2nd elite threat on his line.

I followed Thomas Vanek's career quite a while. After Briere left Buffalo i waited for him to find a compatible centre. But Derek Roy just never fit well with his playing style, largely because both needed the puck on their tape to be productive hockey players. Perhaps it has been conductive to JT's success to date that he was always the go-to-guy on his line?

What do i know

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
its an interesting central question: would JT benefit from having a puck carrier on his line?

generally on these boards the accepted answer is: yes, he would! However i can't help but think that it could be possible that he benefits more from having the puck on his tape than a 2nd elite threat on his line.

I followed Thomas Vanek's career quite a while. After Briere left Buffalo i waited for him to find a compatible centre. But Derek Roy just never fit well with his playing style, largely because both needed the puck on their tape to be productive hockey players. Perhaps it has been conductive to JT's success to date that he was always the go-to-guy on his line?

What do i know
There may be something to what you say, but I don't think that most people are looking for another puck mover on JT's line to carry the puck instead of him the majority of the time so much as another option that defenses need to be aware of.

It is too easy right now to key on JT. Either he carries it in or the puck is dumped in. Bouchard could be a good fit here...he isn't a star, but is solid with the puck on his stick and teams will have to respect that. Likewise it will give JT another option.

The other thing people want is someone who can win a battle in the corner so that the line can keep the puck in longer thereby creating more opportunities for JT. Unfortunately Bouchard will not help in that area.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post

What do i know
No offense to Thomas Vanek, but if he has his one way of playing offensively, Tavares has three. The best quality about JT is that he's as good (offensively) without the puck as he is with it.

What JT needs is somebody to help tip the ice. I don't think it matters how that is achieved. When JT spends time in the offensive zone, he'll score.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:52 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
There may be something to what you say, but I don't think that most people are looking for another puck mover on JT's line to carry the puck instead of him the majority of the time so much as another option that defenses need to be aware of.

It is too easy right now to key on JT. Either he carries it in or the puck is dumped in. Bouchard could be a good fit here...he isn't a star, but is solid with the puck on his stick and teams will have to respect that. Likewise it will give JT another option.

The other thing people want is someone who can win a battle in the corner so that the line can keep the puck in longer thereby creating more opportunities for JT. Unfortunately Bouchard will not help in that area.
i totally understand what you are saying, i generally agree on all points and have since before pap left. I only mentioned my point (will JT benefit from having a second elite puck carrier on his line?) because there was talk of moulson being moved this season. moulson never demands the puck, hardly demands anything at all. He stands at the ready to execute his, albeit limited, game. I will definetly keep an eye out as to how JT's game changes when moulson is removed from it, i could imagine JT suffering when another player (lets say Vanek for consistencies sake) plays with him. Especially is that other player isnt as willing to share the puck as moulson is.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
DeanCrandall

http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013

Sums it all up, lowest payroll in the NHL. No expectations to over achieve.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013

Sums it all up, lowest payroll in the NHL. No expectations to over achieve.
Interesting. I see that the greater spreadsheet lists payroll at $44 million but when you click on the Isles, and do the math on the forwards, defense, and tenders you get $47 million. Add Donovan and Nelson and subtract Cizikas and Finley and you get maybe $49 million roughly. Still the lowest in the league, by at least $5 million, but better.

Inform the Masses - If you are out there, this might be a great place to pick up further discussion about this very subject.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:46 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

That's exactly it. They need a physical presence on that top line. Against big, physical damn, JTs line establishes nothing

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Interesting. I see that the greater spreadsheet lists payroll at $44 million but when you click on the Isles, and do the math on the forwards, defense, and tenders you get $47 million. Add Donovan and Nelson and subtract Cizikas and Finley and you get maybe $49 million roughly. Still the lowest in the league, by at least $5 million, but better.

Inform the Masses - If you are out there, this might be a great place to pick up further discussion about this very subject.
Not sure what there's left to say. The Islanders will have the lowest payroll in the NHL in real dollars spent. Payroll will be between 45-47 Million on any given night. They are now receiving NHL welfare, so Wangs hockey budget for all intents and purposes has remained roughly the same (40ish Million). I don't see anything new.

Again, this is not saying I wanted them to commit too much $$$ and too many years to marginal free agents. Simply stating that the magic accounting and low payroll is alive and well for the Wangster.

I still think it is set up well though, and the payroll SHOULD remain low for the time being (unless Quality players are willing to come in for 3 years or less). As essentially all roster players become Unrestricted free agents within the next three years which is right around when this group can start being serious cup contenders if everything goes well. Exceptions are (Hamonic (7), Tavares (5), Bailey (5), Clutterbuck (4)).

Retention of further core players over the next 3 years are a necessity, payroll increases are a given in such cases. Payroll flexibility over this time is VITAL. Will this happen? Is this the reason for the low payroll at this point? A guy can hope.

So you see, I'm not whining or complaining, per say. Just not disillusioned by magic math with visions of improved business philosophy with increased investment in the team via dollars.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Jester9881

I don't care how much is spent on the team.... just win. They have improved every year of the rebuild, the budget hasn't stifled that yet. If it ever does, then I will have a gripe.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:57 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Saw this on Lighthouse and I thought the rest of you crazies would like to see it too. Is Kyle Okposo now a member of the Dungeon crew? Hmmmm.

Quote:
@RichardATC: @NYIslanders – @bookerT2116 @zeeker11 @strome18 @91Tavares at end of a tough day @theATCcanada 10IN! 10OUT! http://t.co/ggeqxqqXtH

Last edited by PWJunior: 07-23-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added pic
PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Saw this on Lighthouse and I thought the rest of you crazies would like to see it too. Is Kyle Okposo now a member of the Dungeon crew? Hmmmm.
Cool pic. Good to see. 'Cal' Ciizeeki (my best Butch Goring impression) repping with his Isles gear, gotta love it. Okposo looks JACKED. Starting to think last years second half breakout might be VERY legitimate. Strome needs to paint over the sign in the back ground and change the EAT CLEAN to EAT A LOT.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:17 PM
LeapOnOver
Lemieux who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Cool pic. Good to see. 'Cal' Ciizeeki (my best Butch Goring impression) repping with his Isles gear, gotta love it. Okposo looks JACKED. Starting to think last years second half breakout might be VERY legitimate. Strome needs to paint over the sign in the back ground and change the EAT CLEAN to EAT A LOT.
I almost think that Okposo pic is airbrushed lol...doesn't look like his head belongs on that body. Anyway, dang yeah he's putting some girth on. 2013-14 could be something special from him folks!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
scott99

Quote:
Tavares looks ripped, but in a wiry way if that makes sense. He looks bigger than Strome and Cizikas. But doesn't look as big as Okposo, who looks like he's really hitting the weights.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I almost think that Okposo pic is airbrushed lol...doesn't look like his head belongs on that body. Anyway, dang yeah he's putting some girth on. 2013-14 could be something special from him folks!
Okposo does look pretty jacked up, he certainly looks like he could be that bull in a china shop that was advertised when we drafted him. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The biggest thing for me is that he's training in Mississauga with JT and the other crew guys. I always assumed that he trained back in Minnesota with Parise and those guys. We don't know if he's just visiting and getting in a workout or if it's a regular thing, but it's quite interesting nonetheless. The sports psychiatrist, a strong playoff performance, and now training in Canada with the golden boy... Kyle wants it and I hope he breaks out big time next season and earns a spot on Team USA along the way.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Okposo does look pretty jacked up, he certainly looks like he could be that bull in a china shop that was advertised when we drafted him. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The biggest thing for me is that he's training in Mississauga with JT and the other crew guys. I always assumed that he trained back in Minnesota with Parise and those guys. We don't know if he's just visiting and getting in a workout or if it's a regular thing, but it's quite interesting nonetheless. The sports psychiatrist, a strong playoff performance, and now training in Canada with the golden boy... Kyle wants it and I hope he breaks out big time next season and earns a spot on Team USA along the way.
Okposo does train (skating) back home in Minnesota with Parise and others. I know his skating coach Troy Stevens. He's one of the best in the world, Parise himself, said he's the best skater he has ever seen. Troy was in NY last week coaching my son and a bunch of other youth players. Great guy, I highly recommend him to anyone. Pretty sure Troy will be working with Kyle this summer at some point.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:47 PM
LeapOnOver
Lemieux who?

Quote:
Okposo does train (skating) back home in Minnesota with Parise and others. I know his skating coach Troy Stevens. He's one of the best in the world, Parise himself, said he's the best skater he has ever seen. Troy was in NY last week coaching my son and a bunch of other youth players. Great guy, I highly recommend him to anyone. Pretty sure Troy will be working with Kyle this summer at some point.
That's awesome because I think if Okposo can get stronger on his skates (not knocked off the puck and better balance) he will really be able to turn the corner in all other facets of his game. I think his stick handling is solid. He could work on more accuracy with his shots, but just getting them on net is all I ask for. The goals will come if he can hit the net. He's already good and make runs and taking the body, he just normally can't stay on his feet. I think the sports psychologist has done wonders for him and just like everyone else I hope he has a breakout year. Can you imagine having a solution for JT's wings just a couple months away? Gets me goosebumps!! I think all of us dream of an elite wing for JT and what can be accomplished with that!!!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
duster19

Quote:

Questionable shirt Johnny!!!

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
LAIslanderFan

[/QUOTE]

After finishing a black and white cookie, I went in and showed this picture to my wife. Her response,
"you should go up and join them".

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:09 AM
SI90

Quote:

This is the best thing us isles fans could ask for Okposo leaving his minn crew to train with Johnny !!

Now get Bailey and Hammer in there!!!

SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
After finishing a black and white cookie, I went in and showed this picture to my wife. Her response,
"you should go up and join them".[/QUOTE]

"Eat Dirty, Don't Train"

Your post really made me laugh. Black and white cookies rule.

Too bad for Matt Niskanen that he didn't see this picture before starting in with KO in the playoffs.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:03 AM
IslandersFan17

JT still looks like a baby in that picture.

That being said, when guys are together off the ice and training like this you build camaraderie. Glad to see Okposo getting there getting stronger!

IslandersFan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

Bailey was at Dunkin Donuts when this pic was taken.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
JT still looks like a baby in that picture.

That being said, when guys are together off the ice and training like this you build camaraderie. Glad to see Okposo getting there getting stronger!
You think JT looks like a kid still? How about this?

Thanks to Brandon DeFazio for selling out Johnny. Haha.

Quote:
DeFabio24 Brandon DeFazio 2 Jul
If only @91Tavares was still this cool eh @MMoulson @strome18 @J_Kurtzy @zeeker11 @DOMO2688 ! pic.twitter.com/3fSYfRemPq