HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Bailey was at Dunkin Donuts when this pic was taken.
He was busy putting away the chains

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Okposo has always been huge. He gets bigger and bigger every year.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunomics View Post
he was busy putting away the chains
lmao hahahahahahahahaha

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Strome18

I assume Bails had a standin photobomb the picture.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Okposo has always been huge. He gets bigger and bigger every year.
That's what she said.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
That's awesome because I think if Okposo can get stronger on his skates (not knocked off the puck and better balance) he will really be able to turn the corner in all other facets of his game. I think his stick handling is solid. He could work on more accuracy with his shots, but just getting them on net is all I ask for. The goals will come if he can hit the net. He's already good and make runs and taking the body, he just normally can't stay on his feet. I think the sports psychologist has done wonders for him and just like everyone else I hope he has a breakout year. Can you imagine having a solution for JT's wings just a couple months away? Gets me goosebumps!! I think all of us dream of an elite wing for JT and what can be accomplished with that!!!
I think Okposo should come into the season with great confidence. He was like a bull in a china shop the last part of the season, and finally showed he's willing to play mean by winning his only fight ever. I think we may see more of that this season. He always had the talent, but he always tried to play with finesse, and kinda played like a wuss. Hopefully we never see THAT Okposo ever again. I hope his new style opens up room for himself and his linemates.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:16 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
JT still looks like a baby in that picture.

That being said, when guys are together off the ice and training like this you build camaraderie. Glad to see Okposo getting there getting stronger!
Cizikas is the smallest of the bunch but he plays fearless out there and definitely doesn't get knocked around. Tavares and Okposo's "thickness" help immensely with the style of game they play, especially JT's ability to hold off defenders, protect the puck and make a play.

The way Strome plays, I don't think additional mass will help him, it may hurt him. His game is quickness and quick puck decisions/passes, agility and elusiveness. Gotta stay lean, maybe strengthen his legs and core.

deHaan on the other hand, needs a robocop outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
You think JT looks like a kid still? How about this?

Thanks to Brandon DeFazio for selling out Johnny. Haha.
not the first time, or the last, the internet has shown me something that I wish I could un-see.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
You think JT looks like a kid still? How about this?

Thanks to Brandon DeFazio for selling out Johnny. Haha.
Same amount of facial hair!!! Lol, I hope no one took offense to what I was saying
just saying he has this babyface to him.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
PROMputt
Family,God,Islanders

Quote:
Saw this on Lighthouse and I thought the rest of you crazies would like to see it too. Is Kyle Okposo now a member of the Dungeon crew? Hmmmm.

Strome needs to put on some serious weight if he is going to survive an NHL season...

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Strome needs to put on some serious weight if he is going to survive an NHL season...
Jonathan Huberdeau is listed at 177 on the panthers website and strome is listed as 188 on the Isles website. How much more weight does strome need? Huberdeau played 48 games last year in the NHL with 11 less pounds on his body. Strome played in juniors and a handful of games in the AHL this year. He is doing alright in my opinion.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
I remember when Rick DiPietro showed up at training camp after the last lockout looking like he belonged in the WWE!

I'm almost pretty sure the front office told him to lose some muscle before the season started.

Anyway, I've seen other NHL players that are as big as Okposo and they have no issues with their game play whatsoever.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Jester9881

KO has always had a strong upper body.... it's his lower body strength and endurance that has been holding him back.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:49 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
That's what she said.
Bazing.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Saw this on Lighthouse and I thought the rest of you crazies would like to see it too. Is Kyle Okposo now a member of the Dungeon crew? Hmmmm.

I bet they are all wearing the same size shirt. Also, when your color choice puts a parking cone to shame, you probably went a little to far.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
He looks fine to me. There are plenty of guys smaller than Strome in the league.

I'm sure he'll continue to gain mass as he gets older.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
He looks fine to me. There are plenty of guys smaller than Strome in the league.

Yeah, and he looks on par with Cizikas in that pic. Casey had no issues last season.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
gadiamon72

Strategy question....

I've noticed that many of you want to put Strome at wing to start out and are not comfortable with him as a young center on the top two lines. How have teams dealt with that in the past. It seems to me that if a player is drafted and being groomed in juniors and/or the minors to become a center on one of the top lines, then it wouldn't make sense to bury him on the fourth line or start him at a different position, like RW.

My opinion, Ryan Strome should be consisdered our second line center of the future and weather he starts there this year, or has another year of grooming in the minors (which I think is best), he should become the second line center from the start. Unless, of course, he doesn't prove himself in the AHL.

Lines once Strome get inserted:

Bailey--Tavares--Okposo
Bouchard--Strome--Cutterbuck
Grabner--Nielsen--Nelson (Trying to find a spot for Nelson)
MacDonald--Zeke--Martin

The top 3 RWs seem to be interchangable until the right combinations are found.

gadiamon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Where's Moulson?

Old
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
gadiamon72

I'm not a Moulsen fan (despite the stats) and I am assuming he will be either dealt or lost to free agency by the time Strome is the second line center. I see a vastly different line-up then we have now once Strome is ready.

Although MM's scoring stats are very good, he is almost as much of a defensive liability, which is very important.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiamon72 View Post
I've noticed that many of you want to put Strome at wing to start out and are not comfortable with him as a young center on the top two lines. How have teams dealt with that in the past. It seems to me that if a player is drafted and being groomed in juniors and/or the minors to become a center on one of the top lines, then it wouldn't make sense to bury him on the fourth line or start him at a different position, like RW.
Strome is not an 'ordinary' prospect. I'm not saying he's going to come in and tear things up, but one thing that is NOT going to bother him is a switch from center to wing. Strome's top attribute is his intelligence. The center/wing switch is a trifle, especially if he's playing with JT. All he has to do is work on point coverage, and it's not like he didn't play on the PK in junior.

I honestly don't see why people worry about players like Tavares or Strome playing in various positions. Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen swap responsibilities in the middle of shifts depending upon where they end up, sometimes. Okposo was a natural center, too. As are many of these guys. No big deal.

From the various personnel moves the Islanders have made, I think that this versatility is something that they prefer. Bouchard can play either wing, and center in a pinch.

Last, I don't care how you number the lines, but Nielsen is going to be tied for top ES icetime among centers on the team (with JT, obv), because he'll be matched up against the top ES competition. If the Islanders want to play Strome at center on the line that is 3rd in ES icetime, and y'all want to "call" that a 2nd line, that's fine with me.

What there's absolutely no chance of is that Strome comes in and takes over Nielsen's role. It's not going to happen.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Quote:
I'm not a Moulsen fan (despite the stats) and I am assuming he will be either dealt or lost to free agency by the time Strome is the second line center. I see a vastly different line-up then we have now once Strome is ready.

Although MM's scoring stats are very good, he is almost as much of a defensive liability, which is very important.
But then why slot PMB into the projected line-up? They're not going to deal Moulson. At best (worst?), he walks after the season as an UFA. Bouchard is pretty much a one year stop-gap, so you have to figure that he'll be gone after the season as well.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
gadiamon72

Thanks, DAN-o16! You convinced me to come on board with putting Strome at JT's wing.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:54 AM
gadiamon72

Strummergas,

I see your point. Based on yours and Dan-o's responses, here is my new look with Strom at wing.

Bailey--JT--Strome
Moulson--Neilsen--Okposo
Grabner--Nelson/Bouchard--Clutterbuck
Mac--Zeke--Martin

Should be very interesting how the line combo's end up.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Thanks, DAN-o16! You convinced me to come on board with putting Strome at JT's wing.
Well, I'm not even on board with that, because I don't know that Strome is ready. He may need more time to adjust his game to pro-speed. However, IF he's ready, I don't think anything like a switch to wing would hold him back.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post

yup. being small is a challenge, not a death knell. cases in point. Eric Lindros (and many other 'big' guys), have had their noggins smushed. many small guys (Hickey, Huberdeau) have survived reasonably well. it is not just an issue of size. it is mostly awareness/hockey sense, and ability to react quickly.

in the case of Strome, or anyone for that matter, i believe that the management is very good at seeing their game, and know what to expect. not always, but for the most part...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote