HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-25-2013, 11:54 AM
gadiamon72

vCash: 500
Strome may not have much mass right now, but he is still bigger and stronger then Gretzky was. I'm NOTsaying that Strome is the next Gretzky, but it goes to show that elite skills and intelligence will get you far in this league. Strome still has time to develope his frame, but even if he doesn't get much bigger or stronger, he still could be a great player.

gadiamon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiamon72 View Post
Strome may not have much mass right now, but he is still bigger and stronger then Gretzky was. I'm NOTsaying that Strome is the next Gretzky, but it goes to show that elite skills and intelligence will get you far in this league. Strome still has time to develope his frame, but even if he doesn't get much bigger or stronger, he still could be a great player.
Islander fans are obsessed with size. This isn't the 80's. I'm sure Strome will be ok. Some take forever to get their "man strength" anyways. We can't be afraid and wait and wait until he is 25.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Islander fans are obsessed with size. This isn't the 80's. I'm sure Strome will be ok. Some take forever to get their "man strength" anyways. We can't be afraid and wait and wait until he is 25.
I don't think size/strength is the issue with Strome at this point. Rather, it's getting used to making decisions at NHL-pace as opposed to at junior pace. The question is do the Islanders want him to get more acclimated to the pro game before playing in the NHL.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't think size/strength is the issue with Strome at this point. Rather, it's getting used to making decisions at NHL-pace as opposed to at junior pace. The question is do the Islanders want him to get more acclimated to the pro game before playing in the NHL.
Oh I agree. But I don't think it will take him long for that either. So much to look forward to next year.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

*IF* Strome is NHL ready and takes a RW spot, I see Nelson getting one final year (Or at least starting the year) in the AHL. Simply no room. I could see Regin starting the 3C, and getting waived at some point and swapped with Nelson.

Our RWers at this point :
PMB
Okposo
McDonald
Clutterbuck
*Strome

That's one too many. PMB does not play center.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Brunomics

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675361

Well that sucks

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Figren over Marchand... Ouch.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
dash8fo

Now we have video of Matt Martins workout

https://vine.co/v/hAupMBa615t

Those single leg cleans look real dangerous

dash8fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:47 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Figren over Marchand... Ouch.
Neil Smith listened to Nolan and Flynn on MacDonald; why couldn't he have listened to them about Marchand too?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash8fo View Post
Those single leg cleans look real dangerous
But, the "split snatch" sounds intriguing...

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
I didn't notice this right away:

"The Islanders selected forward Robin Figren in the third round, with the 70th pick; the Bruins took Marchand with the very next pick.

The Bruins had acquired the 71st pick the morning of the draft from the Islanders in exchange for fourth- and fifth-round picks in 2006."

I researched it some more and confirmed that this is what happened:

"71 3-8 Coyotes - Islanders

Islanders Traded Oleg Kvasha, Oleg Kvasha, conditional fifth round pick (if Coyotes do not re-sign Oleg Kvasha) (2006 #130-Brett Bennett) to Coyotes for 2006 third round pick (#71-Brad Marchand) on 2006-03-09

Bruins

Bruins Traded 2006 fourth round pick (#98-James Delory), 2006 fifth round pick (#126-Shane Sims) to Islanders for 2006 third round pick (#71-Brad Marchand) on 2006-06-24

Bruins picked Brad Marchand"

So if Smith played his cards right and didn't make the 2nd deal with Boston, he could've picked Figren AND Marchand. And that would have meant Oleg Kvasha became Marchand (talk about opposites!).

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
dash8fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
wonder if boomer knows how he talks about his daughter

Old
07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I guess MattyMarts has girth.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
dash8fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I guess MattyMarts has girth.
bigger then KOs arms

Old
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

We got the 2nd best defenseman in that draft. Don't really care about not having Marchand.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
We got the 2nd best defenseman in that draft. Don't really care about not having Marchand.
That's actually kind of sad. What's worse is that Brian Strait was probably the 3rd best defenseman... what a weak draft for D-men.

It's crazy that Erik Johnson could turn into such a big disappointment and STILL be the best defenseman from that draft.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:11 PM
bioman22

Cody Franson

Report from Toronto said me may become available due to cap. Seems like a good fit to replace Striet.

bioman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
That's actually kind of sad. What's worse is that Brian Strait was probably the 3rd best defenseman... what a weak draft for D-men.

It's crazy that Erik Johnson could turn into such a big disappointment and STILL be the best defenseman from that draft.
Yeah pretty strange, but a lot of good forwards were in that draft. The Islanders have two of the top-15 forwards in that draft (Okposo and Grabner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman22 View Post
Report from Toronto said me may become available due to cap. Seems like a good fit to replace Striet.
I'm a big Franson fan, but I'd be afraid of what the Leafs would ask for him. I would only give up a 2nd and maybe Persson.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman22 View Post
he was excellent last year, average the year before. I don't think the Leafs will let him get away, they have a Liles-problem though, a player they won't be able to move (three years left, almost $11mm more)

They have Rielly (who some expect to make the team), Ranger, Gardiner all expected to play more minutes this year, Phaneuf, Gunnarsson as well - but they cannot let Franson get away. They have Stuart Percy and Jesse Blacker close

I suspect they will sign Franson though, especially with Phaneuf on his last year (Kessel as well).

He'd be a solid addition to the Islanders though. Would a deal for a guy like Mayfield or Pelech and Hickey or Strait?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Would you trade for Bogosian

So forgive me now for making a proposal when I know full well, it won't happen... Garth is one damn patient GM and he isn't going to blow anything up at this point, when we finally turned the first corner, by making the playoffs.......... But just for a bit of fun...

I've always wanted Bogosian and Evander Kane.... Neither has never seemed to fit well in Winnipeg and both were the type of player the Isles lacked... Kane was the anti-Okposo (Kane actually hits, fights and scores), Bogosian has size, a mean streak and skill of a top-5 selection to match......... But as I said, neither seems to fit well in Winnipeg...... as skilled as he is, and as important as he is to the team, Winnipeg seems determined to make Evander fit, one way or another..
Bogo on the other hand, I'm pretty sure is due for a new contract, seems to be butting heads with management, and Winnipeg seems pretty stocked at defense, even drafting a guy with a pretty similar skill set as Bogo last season in Jacob Trouba. In other words, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they traded him and got something decent in return. A fresh start for both sides...

With that said, the Isles aren't going to blow up the rebuild just to trade for Bogo, so any proposal would have to make sense for both sides...

From the Isles perspective, they are very deep in defensive prospects. One prospect that may interest Winnipeg is Adam Pelech. Adam is a hard nosed defensive prospect with offensive upside. He was a 3rd round pick in 2012. He is 6'2 215 pounds and has hockey in his blood. Both his brothers were drafted and his uncle is GM and former player Mike Gillis. Adam is highly regarded as he was invited to try out for Canada and the U-20 junior tournament his coming year. Even though Adam is known as a shut-down d-man, he did show an offensive side last year, to the tune of 40 points in 59 regular season games for the Barrie Colts.. In other words, Adam is the real deal!

I'm gonna package Pelech with a few other players/prospects. One of which make the Jets a better team now, in 2nd pairing defenseman Andrew MacDonald. Getting MacDonald softens the blow of losing Bogosian, as he is ready to play now. Andrew played alondside Travis Hamonic last year on our second pairing and posted 12 points in 48 games. The Isles also must throw in their 2nd round pick in 2014 to get it done.

So:

Islanders trade:

Andrew MacDonald (D)
Adam Pelech (D)
2nd round pick in 2014

Winnipeg trades:

Zach Bogosian

....................................... From the Islanders perspective, Andrew MacDonald is a stop-gap type of player. We wouldn't go far with him. He is too soft at 185 pounds. Adam Pelech is still a few years away, and is behind quite a few of our D prospects. Bogo has offensive upside that Pelech may never achieve, and Bogo helps speed up the process. Winnipeg needs a player outside of MacDonald that helps them get better NOW to get this deal done.... I just can't think of someone that fits as fair compensation, that is why I go the safe route and go with the 2nd round pick.

Islanders fans probably say I overpay, Winnipeg fans say I'm not even close... predictable.. lol

next year, Islanders D:

Hamonic Viznovsky

Bogosian Donovan or De Haan (training camp battle for this spot)

Strait Hickey

Carkner Finley

** Having Carkner, Finley, along with Hickey and both Donovan and De Haan allows for us to trade MacDonald in this Bogo deal without blinking an eye.

Thoughts?? I was thinking of throwing in Frans Nielsen instead of the 2nd rounder, but thought in the end, it was overpayment.

Frans Nielsen
Anders MacDonald
Adam Pelech

for

Zach Bogosian

fair or overpayment?? .... maybe at this point, the deal gets a bit bigger.. Zach Wheeler alongside JT???

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

I'd rather move Bailey than MacDonald.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Who will play with Tavares and Moulson?

Two years ago it worked well for PA Parenteau and last year seemed to work for Brad Boyes so who will be the lucky individual on the wing with Tavares and Moulson this season?

I'm assuming there must be a couple of candidates

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

PM Bouchard definitely.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Riddick

i really dont think moulson is a lock on tavares' wing.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i really dont think moulson is a lock on tavares' wing.
yeah, we might wanna replace those thirty goals with fifteen.

I say PMB will be given a shot, as will JT's buddy and protector Clutterbuck. Bailey and Okposo will get tried there, the latter BRIEFLY.

It's open, in other words....PMB has to prove he can hold the play and not just be a breakaway artist, which the line does NOT need....but it'll help. I think he can take the hits our first line will get.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote