HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor Edm

Old
07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
Toronto needs a potential #1 c who has a great shot at getting there and edmonton needs a a top 15 two way physical dman. I know this wont be popular from both sides but would this trade work if it was worked out that phaneuf would extend with edmonton?

To
Toronto
RNH
smid

Edmonton
Phaneuf
Kadri
Fraser
2014 2nd

Flame away
the value is kind of close, in a realistic world the oil have to add something, but theres no way we do this, I know rnh is a great player but im not sold on him yet.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrielly View Post
again op mentioned that phaneuf would agree to an extension and also, the bolded makes no sense...

so you wouldn't do

rnh for couture + vlasic?
I wouldn't.

RNH is our #1 center. The product of some very dark times. I want to enjoy his NHL career and I want to see that success come as a member of the Oilers.

Couture and Vlasic are nice players, but I'd prefer to keep RNH.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
So was Dipietro, Patrik Stefan, Alexandre Daigle and others.

Not saying RNH will be a bust (he will be a top 6 NHLer with a long career) but draft status is overrated and overblown.
Nice cherry picking. Who was the last 1st overall pick, taken in a good top end draft class, who busted? Now find a Center taken 1st overall who busted anywhere in the last decade. How about a C taken in the top 3 even?

Still think draft status is overrated when you're picking in the top 1-3?

Seriously...if you have to break out Daigle and Stefan you're on really thin ice for your argument.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
FightingIrish17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Out of curiousity, why do people feel that RNH is better than Kadri?

Honest question...I haven't seen any evidence that RNH is a better player outsite of draft position.

Sure, RNH made the League at 18 but so would have Kadri if he was drafted by the Oilers...so what is it about the player himself that makes him better?
Beacause he has 13 more points in 3 more played games. His potential is through the roof, arguable the most on the Oilers. And just because he had a down year coming off shoulder surgery (played good defensively though) HF boards now deems him a bust or overrated even though Kadri was 1 bad year away from being traded. Anyone who has seen him play knows that he'll be an elite top 5 centre.

Last edited by FightingIrish17: 07-15-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Poor Math
FightingIrish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
Beacause he has 18 more points in 3 more played games. His potential is through the roof, arguable the most on the Oilers. And just because he had a down year coming off shoulder surgery (played good defensively though) HF boards now deem him a bust or overrated even though Kadri was 1 bad year away from being traded. Anyone who has seen him play knows that he'll be an elite top 5 centre.
13 points isn't a lot...especially considering Kadri hasn't been given top 6 minutes until recently.

I'll reserve judgement until I see both of these guys play a full season healthy in a top 6 role. To me both of these guys are high end centers...both are quite skilled playmaking centers.

Kadri has a bit more grit tho while RNH may appear to have a bit more skill. We'll see I guess.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Toastman

I was under the impression that RNH was 'untouchable' for Oilers fans.

But the again, Bruins fans said the same for Seguin

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:15 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post

Well, RNH does punch babies, but he's first overall, so we'll overlook that.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post

Have you see what he's been up to this offseason? Spending all this time at the track

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
FightingIrish17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
the value is kind of close, in a realistic world the oil have to add something, but theres no way we do this, I know rnh is a great player but im not sold on him yet.
Not sold on Kadri either. No way is this fair for Oilers.

FightingIrish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
Not sold on Kadri either. No way is this fair for Oilers.
thats fine, we dont do the deal then, if you ask me though, kadri has shown he can play to that high level, rnh has been good but not what you would expect from a number 1 by any means.... his value isnt as high as it should be right now either. We will gladly keep dion and kadri

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Brian28

[QUOTE=Rinzler;69239865]Out of curiousity, why do people feel that RNH is better than Kadri?

Honest question...I haven't seen any evidence that RNH is a better player outsite of draft position.

Sure, RNH made the League at 18 but so would have Kadri if he was drafted by the Oilers...so what is it about the player himself that makes him better?[/QUOTE

For the same reason Oiler fans felt Hall was better than Seguin? Took a couple years for the differences to really show but now it's pretty glaring and the spotlight is on Seguin to close the gap not Hall to show why the gap is there. Same will likely be the case with RNH and Kadri. Remember Kadri is 2 years older than RNH and has 3 less games and 20 less points already...it's likely the gap will grow in time as RNH develops. For example at 18 Kadri wasn't quite good enough for the NHL but RNH put up a great rookie season. This season RNH was playing injured and it really wasn't a secret to anyone who watched the games yet with only ~1/2 of his projected points he was still a plus player showing a massive growth in defensive game.

Kadri would not have made the Oilers right out of the draft. Paajarvi had to fight for a position and was bounced up and down to work on his game...same would have happened to Kadri.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Makes the Leafs worse. Pass.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Brian28

Quote:
13 points isn't a lot...especially considering Kadri hasn't been given top 6 minutes until recently.

I'll reserve judgement until I see both of these guys play a full season healthy in a top 6 role. To me both of these guys are high end centers...both are quite skilled playmaking centers.

Kadri has a bit more grit tho while RNH may appear to have a bit more skill. We'll see I guess.
Kadri's also 2 years older. Shall we compare their respective ages and point totals?

Old
07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Leafs proposals for RNH should be locked on the spot. They come up every week and the answer is still no.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Rinzler

[QUOTE=Brian28;69240671]
Quote:
Out of curiousity, why do people feel that RNH is better than Kadri?

Sure, RNH made the League at 18 but so would have Kadri if he was drafted by the Oilers...so what is it about the player himself that makes him better?[/QUOTE

For the same reason Oiler fans felt Hall was better than Seguin? Took a couple years for the differences to really show but now it's pretty glaring and the spotlight is on Seguin to close the gap not Hall to show why the gap is there. Same will likely be the case with RNH and Kadri. Remember Kadri is 2 years older than RNH and has 3 less games and 20 less points already...it's likely the gap will grow in time as RNH develops. For example at 18 Kadri wasn't quite good enough for the NHL but RNH put up a great rookie season. This season RNH was playing injured and it really wasn't a secret to anyone who watched the games yet with only ~1/2 of his projected points he was still a plus player showing a massive growth in defensive game.

Kadri would not have made the Oilers right out of the draft. Paajarvi had to fight for a position and was bounced up and down to work on his game...same would have happened to Kadri.
I don't buy into the age argument at all with RNH and Kadri. Neither player was anywhere close to being physically ready for the NHL at 18. Kadri was close to making the NHL at that age but the Leafs held him back for obvious reasons. RNH on the other hand was rushed to the League. He produced points, but I'm not convinced it was a wise move for the Oilers long term.

Both players are very similar with two teams taking a very different approach to development. In the end neither of them have separated themselves.

I have no doubt in my mind at all that Kadri would have been thrown into the NHL at 18 years old if he was drafted by the Oilers. Who knows what his production would have been if he was gifted top 6 minutes?

Both are damn good players, but RNH is no Tavares or Stamkos...I think he's underwhelming for a #1 overall.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Leafs proposals for RNH should be locked on the spot. They come up every week and the answer is still no.
Don't worry, the Leafs don't actually have any interest in RNH either.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Don't worry, the Leafs don't actually have any interest in RNH either.
Because that's why there's a multitude of RNH to Toronto trade proposal threads right?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
On the all time list of things that will never happen, the Oilers trading RNH ranks pretty high.

One day Leafs fans will come to the realization that no one is trading them a #1C.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Toydarian

RNH is getting some serious, unwarranted criticism.

He had the best rookie season production wise since Patrick Kane (better than Tavares, Stamkos, Hall, and Yakupov). He possesses elite vision and has unbelievable puck distribution skill/smarts. He struggled to produce offensively this past season in the NHL, but played injured and also played for 3 different teams (OKC, EDM, & Team Canada).

Considering the type of players drafted 1st overall and what RNH has also demonstrated in the NHL, I think it's comical how people are starting to write him off.

I also realize a lot of fans wouldn't have watched EDM or RNH the past season considering there were no East-West games.

Last edited by Toydarian: 07-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:14 PM
AuraSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You are going to get a lot of heat for that. Toronto is making themselves worse with that trade.
It's not that bad actually, Smid's a great replacement for phaneuf, and rnh>kadri
Only thing we really lose out on is the 2nd rounder, and fraser i really don't care about.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't see this happening, we aren't gonna trade away our possible future #1 center and our captain just to go younger >.<

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:56 PM
officialmark7*

Oilers fan say they don't want Phaneuf, yet he is constantly in all of their trade proposals. The closest I see to a deal being done is Phaneuf and a 1st for RNH, but we all know how Edmonton fans feel about that. I really think after this season Phaneuf will take a paycut, and perhaps play for 5.5 - 6 per on a 8 year deal in TO.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Kadri is a notch below sam gagner let alone nuge... nuge will be a top 5 center one day... also its one year of phaneuf gonna have to be a big no from edmonton.
This. Terrible deal for Edm

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Smid > Phaneuf
RNH >> Kadri
T.O's 2nd >> Fraser

Although Hall-McDavid-Yakupov looks like a decent #1 line.
Did you compare 2 TOR pieces in terms of value haha... Who cares how Fraser and the 2nd stack up they are both comin from TOR.

Not terrible, but I think there's a whole lot more risk for EDM than its worth

Dr Danglefest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:12 PM
officialmark7*

Ganger better than Kadri, Nuge a Top 5 C?

Someone must be working to long in the oil sands.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:17 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Perron for JVR!!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote