HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bloomberg News: Tim Leiweke Charts Leafs Victory Parade Route

Old
07-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuskokafication View Post
If they're going to take down all the pictures and historical stuff they should open a Leafs museum, seriously.

Also for the love of god don't let this American have any control over team uniforms.
A: I could understand what he's saying regarding the history. it's sort of like - yes, we all know the rich history of the team, but it's not really helping, nor benefiting the team now, if it all goes and you say "strike out on your own, be the best you can be - strive to inspire others (without having the ghosts of victors past over your shoulder), it could be a little bit less stressful.

B: I doubt they would take the pictures down and just chuck them.

C: seriously? Don't let this American have any control over the uniforms? Seriously?

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Macman

Has he also planned his route out of town if we don't make the playoffs?

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:03 AM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Man i was excited when he was first hired, but this idiot is setting himself up for a crucifixion. Another meddling corporate bigwig with his own plans on how to run the franchise, just great :

I dont want to see this gun-jumping clown anywhere near the GM's desk trying to interfere with Nonis (although he probably has already). You guys thought Burke was a loudmouth? I dare say ol' Tim's is bigger--his ego too.

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:07 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Man i was excited when he was first hired, but this idiot is setting himself up for a crucifixion. Another meddling corporate bigwig with his own plans on how to run the franchise, just great :

I dont want to see this gun-jumping clown anywhere near the GM's desk trying to interfere with Nonis (although he probably has already). You guys thought Burke was a loudmouth? I dare say ol' Tim's is bigger--his ego too.
They are very similar in that regard although Burke has the legendary hockey mind to go with it.

We're lucky as fans to have had now two Execs who aren't shy to speak.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
ugh. wait till the other fan bases get the wind of this news. all the classic lines will come out...
Nothing the Leafs say or do can change what other fans already think of about the team or the fan base. We could win the cup next season and they'd still find some way of bashing the team. I stopped caring what other fans think or say a long time ago. They never will give this team any credit.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Stats01

I don't necessarily agree with taking the pictures down of our past, but we really really need to stop on the ceremonies. Like how many times can you drag out the same guys year after year after year. We're all Leaf fans, we all get that "67 and years before were amazing and all that but enough already.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Are they talking about removing the pictures throughout the building? I really hope they don't do that.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Are they talking about removing the pictures throughout the building? I really hope they don't do that.
I'm not sure, thats the only problem I have with it. It seems kind of extreme, if Tim wants to stop living in the past glory just end the hundreds of ceremonies we have every year. The pictures can stay up but my goodness, it seems every Saturday there is some sort of pre-game ceremony honouring somebody or something. I don't mind it once and a while but Burke had it going full blast.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Nonis will probably do anything he is told and be happy he gets a contract extension for being a puppet fall guy and why not.
Too funny......he has made the team better.....got rid of bad contracts and did not trade for Lou like Burke was going to and he is a puppet.....

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:02 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm not sure, thats the only problem I have with it. It seems kind of extreme, if Tim wants to stop living in the past glory just end the hundreds of ceremonies we have every year. The pictures can stay up but my goodness, it seems every Saturday there is some sort of pre-game ceremony honouring somebody or something. I don't mind it once and a while but Burke had it going full blast.
I attend all kinds of games and haven't noticed that many ceremonies. Not a fan of Saturday games so maybe I just miss most of those ones.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Demuskokafication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
C: seriously? Don't let this American have any control over the uniforms? Seriously?
Some guy from Hollywood shows up talking about how our history is bad and he wants everything to be "new." I really wouldn't have a big problem if they did transfer some of the tradition out of the arena/game itself and into its own venue. But I also don't want the team to end up looking like this:

Demuskokafication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps the pregame ceremonies were designed to distract people from the current on ice product, in hopes of bringing pleasant reminders of better times in the past.

Losing ways makes one long for the past, while winning ways makes one long for the future.

07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
The CyNick

I don't have any problem with Tim, but this whole winning attitude stuff is pure BS.

Every exec who has led this franchise had ultimately wanted to win. at the end of the day its tough to win. you need a lot of skill and maybe even more luck. the year the Bs won the cup, they were one shot away from been eliminated in the first round. if the Habs score in OT nobody is talking about the Bruins, instead they win, and people start saying they are the model franchise for the new era. then they struggle in the playoffs the next year and people start to question them.

point is, this is a tough sport to win consistently. we can't use our financial might to make the team better, so were basically a one in thirty shot to win every year. you hopefully hire people who make sound hockey decisions, but even that, there are so many variables that come into play, its tough to be right all the time.

I find it obnoxious to say we just need to create a winning culture to get where we need to be. it takes much more than that, and no exec can do anything to ensure success. you roll the dice and hope your numbers come up.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:22 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Perhaps the pregame ceremonies were designed to distract people from the current on ice product, in hopes of bringing pleasant reminders of better times in the past.

Losing ways makes one long for the past, while winning ways makes one long for the future.
Dryden's ceremonies I found were far more frequent and longer in duration. Product was pretty good then as I recall.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Stats01

Quote:
I attend all kinds of games and haven't noticed that many ceremonies. Not a fan of Saturday games so maybe I just miss most of those ones.
You miss out on on them because usually it's Saturday's they have them. I'm obviously over-doing it a bit but the last few years with Burke at the helm it just "seems" like there was a ceremony every other Saturday. Cut down on those and the players/fans might move on a bit from the past which Tim wants, wtf does he expect to happen taking down historic pictures? That I can accept leaving up, the pre-game stuff can go.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Too funny......he has made the team better.....got rid of bad contracts and did not trade for Lou like Burke was going to and he is a puppet.....
Yeah except he was never going to trade for Lou. Every offer had come from Gillis. Please, if youre going to talk ****, at least try to be correct.

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Dryden's ceremonies I found were far more frequent and longer in duration. Product was pretty good then as I recall.
Those were over a decade ago now, so I only vaguely remember them now, as interest was more on the on ice product.

However lots of losing occurred since Dryden left, so to cover up "18 wheeler going off a cliff seasons" a feel good "remembering Mats or Dougie" ceremony for Leaf Nation went a long way to cover up the bitter disappointment of the present.

Lieweke sounds like he wants to focus attention on creating new positive memories, rather than dwelling on past glories.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:35 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Those were over a decade ago now, so I only vaguely remember them now, as interest was more on the on ice product.

However lots of losing occurred since Dryden left, so to cover up "18 wheeler going off a cliff seasons" a feel good "remembering Mats or Dougie" ceremony for Leaf Nation went a long way to cover up the bitter disappointment of the present.

Lieweke sounds like he wants to focus attention on creating new positive memories, rather than dwelling on past glories.
Are you saying neither Gilmour or Sundin deserved to have their Number Honoured?

Old
07-16-2013, 10:37 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Yeah except he was never going to trade for Lou. Every offer had come from Gillis. Please, if youre going to talk ****, at least try to be correct.
Really....me talking ****. You should at least try to live up to your screen name....or change it to a more appropriate name......

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
It's funny how the detractors claim he did so much wrong but then their go to travesty is made up.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Kessley Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuskokafication View Post
Some guy from Hollywood shows up talking about how our history is bad and he wants everything to be "new." I really wouldn't have a big problem if they did transfer some of the tradition out of the arena/game itself and into its own venue. But I also don't want the team to end up looking like this:

Burke was American and he oversaw our current jersey design, which imo is the best we have had in decades.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you saying neither Gilmour or Sundin deserved to have their Number Honoured?
Nope the opposite.. I'm saying it was the best part of Leaf seasons, as it spread a little joy on an otherwise disappointing outcome.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Haha how many times have I heard this kinda stuff before.
That was my first thought also. This is the same sort of stuff as the "Phaneuf changing the music" story from when Dion first arrived.

Let's just shut up and win.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Fogelhund

Oh Brother... plan the parade route..... The man needs to learn a little about the team history here...

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with taking the pictures down of our past, but we really really need to stop on the ceremonies. Like how many times can you drag out the same guys year after year after year. We're all Leaf fans, we all get that "67 and years before were amazing and all that but enough already.
The answer is not much longer because if they are going to celebrate winners and champions...those guys will all be dead soon.... They are getting harder and harder to find. But yeah..I agree 100%..enough with the 1967 Cup winning team for the love of god. It only emphasizes what a pathetic organization they actually are.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote