HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bloomberg News: Tim Leiweke Charts Leafs Victory Parade Route

Old
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's funny how the detractors claim he did so much wrong but then their go to travesty is made up.
Hahaha...I love how you claim that it was "Made up" when in fact you have no more or less knowledge if the speculation is true or not. Like your statement has any more merit than that of the original...all you Burke fanbois need to stop your crying already..the guy is history....thankfully. Time to file Brian Burke with JFJ under GMs who were abject failures.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
VoicexOfxReason
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Really....me talking ****. You should at least try to live up to your screen name....or change it to a more appropriate name......
Why would i change it? All i did was point out how utterly incorrect you are. almost like a voice of reason would.

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

I seriously think the cup needs to be paraded through winnipeg.... I hate that fanbase, a guy actually told me today that dustin the jumbo jet buff is worth more then franson and a 1st

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The new Exec seems to be focusing his priorities on planning a parade, while the past Exec was focusing his on planning on attending a parade.

Since there is no "I" in "Team", and only one parade is Leaf related, it appears our current Exec seems to have his priorities set towards the team, and above his own personal ones.

Can't really fault Leiweke, only hope he achieves his goals of desired success, and he gets his Leafs parade after all, as that is in Leaf Nation's best interest also.

07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
pucky

Are they the only franchise in the entire League to plan parades before actually winning anything?

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

When Leiweke first took over MLSE I thought he was just another guy in a suit but I can see he's given Dave Nonis the green light to do whatever it takes to fix team deficiencies and he expects a championship and he expects it soon. I like his attitude and he's raised expectations to where they should be. Get the job done.

He speaks nothing but the truth, his own man and boy that is refreshing!

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:11 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Why would i change it? All i did was point out how utterly incorrect you are. almost like a voice of reason would.
Really.....I will be the true voice of reason here and not post further as I was utterly in correct...ha ha.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
Yeah, but something tells me that this guy is different. He seems to actually know what he is doing.

He's no Richard Peddie.
In terms of his actual job, his resume is almost carbon copy of Peddie. If you want to give him credit for LA's Cup win, you have to also give him credit for the fact in their previous 15 seasons with him they won but 1 playoff round. Leaf Nation has the attention span of an ADD riddled 2 year old after scoffing a 24 of Pepsi. Doubt most will wait 15 years. So far everything he and Nonis have said is pretty much verbatim Brian Burke.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:54 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's funny how the detractors claim he did so much wrong but then their go to travesty is made up.

Gotta love the asinine nature of that line of logic, n'est-ce pas?

"Did you hear Johnny kissed Janey and then Julie? Tee hee hee. I know, I know.....we have no proof and it goes counter to everything he's ever done but you have no more proof it ISN'T true so it MUST be fair game."

Oy ve.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
hockeywiz542

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...ute_kelly.html

Quote:
On Saturday mornings, Tim Leiweke has a routine.

He gets up early, as he does every morning. He goes to the gym at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel and climbs the stairs to nowhere for an hour. He’s been living in the Ritz since his arrival in May.

His wife, Bernadette, has remained in Los Angeles, helping plan daughter Francesca’s wedding in mid-August. She’s marrying journeyman Troy Bodie, who was signed a week ago by the Maple Leafs. Once married, toute la famille will move north.

But for now, Leiweke is alone. Working out is a focus. The 56-year-old has lost 40 pounds since January.

He takes in his laundry. He picks up the dry cleaning. Putters around for a bit. Around 10:30, he sets out.
Quote:
On the possibility of winning a Stanley Cup: “I gotta convince everyone around here. Think about it. Dream about it. Get tears in your eyes just imagining what it would do to this city.”

Leiweke has set off in the direction of success, and he’s leaving laggards behind. It was on one of these long solo marches that he mapped the championship parade route.

When he first drops it into conversation, I think he’s speaking metaphorically. Then unprompted, he brings it up again.

“You mean, you have the actual route?”

“Right.”

I press him for the details. He tries to drift off into another topic, but keeps being dragged back. He wants it to start somewhere uptown. He mentions Varsity Stadium non-specifically. He points out that the waterfront is nice in June, and might be a logical ending point. His real worry is spacing.

“If Chicago had one million people, Toronto will have two.”

I’m sitting there thinking, ‘Does this guy know how this is going to play?’ I ask him if he can be more specific.

“That I won’t say,” Leiweke says. “That’s for my mind.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...405654%2Cd.cGE

I like that fact that he's willing to change the culture to winning is refreshing. What bothers me is that his comment about taking down the old photos from back in 1962 etc. I just think that you cannot erase the past. New players wearing a Leaf jersey should understand that they are part of the future but should never forget the past and how privileged they are to wear the jersey.

Leave the pictures up. Give the players and fans something to be proud of. You don't throw away history.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
I disagree with his statement of getting rid of the photos from 1962. They should stay as a shrine to the greats that wore the Maple Leaf then.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
VoicexOfxReason
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Really.....I will be the true voice of reason here and not post further as I was utterly in correct...ha ha.
Right. Make silly statements and then try and herpderp your way out of it. Sorry that doesnt fly here in reality, but if you want to believe falsities, then hey who am i to stop you i guess.

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Yosho
Logic

Pretty convenient that Nonis signed Leiweke's future son-in-law. Must be a nice family to marry into.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

I have the parade planned out every time the Leafs win two games in a row….

I do like the attitude, for the most part, but leave the pictures up.

I think Leiweke has a great attitude and this could work. Winning starts at the top, and this guy obviously gives a damn about how his team performs.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:03 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
In terms of his actual job, his resume is almost carbon copy of Peddie. If you want to give him credit for LA's Cup win, you have to also give him credit for the fact in their previous 15 seasons with him they won but 1 playoff round. Leaf Nation has the attention span of an ADD riddled 2 year old after scoffing a 24 of Pepsi. Doubt most will wait 15 years. So far everything he and Nonis have said is pretty much verbatim Brian Burke.
Nicely said.

MLSE boss Tim Leiweke begins era by burning bridges to Maple Leafs past
Toronto Star, Wednesday, July 17, 2013
http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...te_kelly.html?
"Leiweke is like a cult leader. And he's got some kool-aid for all of you. Gives me the creeps."

Some of the comments are gold.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:02 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Pretty convenient that Nonis signed Leiweke's future son-in-law. Must be a nice family to marry into.
Yeah. Kinda raised an eyebrow when I read that as well.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:18 PM
mrsauve

The Star : MLSE boss Tim Leiweke begins era by burning bridges to Maple Leafs past

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...478099%2Cd.aWM

zigo man iss

mrsauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:39 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

this franchise is still one giant cluster****

Lou-wiki is cut from the same cloth as Burke was. And the same people who hated Burke for his bold statements are eating this **** up.

IF BUrke had planned a parade route he would have been crucified.

Someone said the franchise stopped trading away our 1st round picks, but we just finished trading our 2nd and 4th in the deepest draft in years for a guy who MIGHT be our 3rd line Center.

So we gave up 3 picks and filled the spot Colborne should be vying for in Sept.

NOTHING has changed.

I've got my fingers crossed, but, I'm not jumping on Timmy's bandwagon just yet.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:36 AM
hockeywiz542

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...isky-business/

Quote:
“If we don’t take a run at (championships) in my tenure here we have failed with the Maple Leafs, we have failed with the Raptors, we have failed with Toronto FC. Winning is our priority,” he told Bloomberg, echoing comments he made when he was hired by MLSE after he left the Anschutz Entertainment Group. “Winning is what we think about every day. My priority on behalf of the owners is to build a culture and accountability now that demands winning first. The rest of it … net profit and value of the company will take care of itself if we win.”

There is no clear evidence that making those kinds of statements leads to those kinds of results. The biggest challenge MLSE faces is that all three of its teams play in leagues where spending on players is tightly controlled.

This is a big problem for a company with a lot of money and grand ambitions. What made George Steinbrenner perhaps the ultimate owner in all of sports was that he had no limits on what he would spend to reach his goals. Being a Yankees fan meant you could sleep at night knowing that every dollar you spent to support your passion would trickle down to the field in the form of the highest payroll in all of sports.

So being massively ambitious and demanding when an NBA or NHL or MLS owner has its limitations — money can’t be the shortcut to reach all those goals.

You got the sense in the latter stages of the previous regime at MLSE that they’d almost become resigned to the idea that winning titles in leagues where parity is a mandate was somewhat of a crapshoot.

Sensibly it became about positioning themselves for success rather than finding some way to be ultimately successful. It wasn’t complacency exactly, but it was a first-cousin. It was the difference between accepting fate and forging a path, fate be damned.

Leiweke is fond of the latter approach, clearly.

“The money is there,” he said. “What we don’t have is a culture of accountability.”

Old
07-18-2013, 12:45 AM
wulfio*

that brodie guy is a smart man.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:22 AM
NastyNinoSays

snake oil salesman

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNinoSays View Post
snake oil salesman
Championships in LA.

07-18-2013, 02:16 AM
Blue n White Blood

Nice interview about Leiweke from the guy who wrote the star's feature on him

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=20717 &id=13

Blue n White Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:41 AM
hockeywiz542

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...S1W5v3cyeVhw.2

Quote:
This is the way Tim Leiweke rationalizes banishing photographs of Toronto’s championship-rich hockey history from the vicinity of the home dressing room at the Air Canada Centre.

“Getting rid of the pictures in the hallway leading to the locker room is not disrespectful to ’62, ’63, ’64,” Leiweke told the Star’s Cathal Kelly this week. “But for our players, I don’t want any more excuses for them or us. This has to be about a new tradition.”

So this is the new reality of Leiweke’s reign as CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. No matter that long-suffering fans of the blue and white wallow in the emotional angst of a circa-1967 Stanley Cup drought. Leiweke, for his part, is acting as though the history of the franchise began the moment he took over his gig on June 30.

At least, that’s the impression you can get glimpsing Leiweke’s take on Toronto’s infamous Game 7 collapse in Boston in the first-round of the playoffs.

“I think (the Leafs) need a few ass-kickings, and that’s one that will stay with them for a long time,” Leiweke told Bloomberg News this week. “I think it will pay huge dividends in the long term no matter how painful it was.”

So let’s get this straight. The Leafs, who’ve been getting their heinies handed to them steadily since the 1960s, need “a few ass-kickings.” Giving up a three-goal lead in the dying minutes of Game 7 was, in the new CEO’s mind, “the best thing that could have happened.” If he’d arrived in the moments after Vince Carter capped his college graduation day by clanking the jumper that could have sent the Raptors to the Eastern Conference final in 2001, one assumes he would have heralded that brick as the perfect disappointment to inspire the next decade of dominance.

It’s laughable stuff for alert Toronto sports fans, who probably thought they’d experienced the living pinnacle in human hubris and ego when they lived through four years of Brian Burke. A little more than two weeks’ worth of Leiweke suggests that, in the cultivation of executive arrogance, the new guy in town is intent on scaling new heights.