HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM Potential Signing + Trade

Old
07-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
These kinds of quotes are just gold. All these Leafs/Oilers threads are filled with Leaf fans that have forgotten the last nine years. I can't wait till we make the playoffs so we can talk down to other teams fans and pretend we were never terrible for long stretches of time.
What matters is now bud, all teams have had terrible stretches, even the red wings sucked once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Dont bet the farm on the first part.
God I hope not for the second part. I hope Klef actually plays solid defence when he matures
Funny, being that hockey IQ is not one of Klefbom's strong suits, you shouldn't be so quick to write off Phaneuf

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
These kinds of quotes are just gold. All these Leafs/Oilers threads are filled with Leaf fans that have forgotten the last nine years. I can't wait till we make the playoffs so we can talk down to other teams fans and pretend we were never terrible for long stretches of time.
I can see the Leafs falling back out of playoff spot next year. It was a shortened season and Phaneuf for 82 games is a good reason why.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:17 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
What matters is now bud, all teams have had terrible stretches, even the red wings sucked once.

Funny, being that hockey IQ is not one of Klefbom's strong suits, you shouldn't be so quick to write off Phaneuf
So why were you talking about the Oilers past? And also Klefbom has excellent hockey IQ. Watch him play because I know you don't and probably never have. You probably don't know anything about him either.

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Both teams say no.

Phaneuf isn't the right guy for Edmonton, and Klefbom looks like he's going to be a solid dman for them. They made changes on D this year, Oilers brass will likely see how they do before making any moves.

Toronto has no need for a winger in Hemsky, and losing Phaneuf would make their D weaker than it already was. They do not have a replacement for him.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:28 AM
GatoradeG*

Nothnx.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
So why were you talking about the Oilers past? And also Klefbom has excellent hockey IQ. Watch him play because I know you don't and probably never have. You probably don't know anything about him either.

I've watched him at the world juniors, but will admit I haven't been able to watch him play in Europe. The information I know about him I've gathered from this site and other sites, and the few games I vaguely remember him playing at the Jrs.

But for the hockey IQ part, here are a couple quotes I've found from scouts/scouting sites

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/oscar_klefbom/

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Klefbom is a raw, tantalizing talent. He has great size for a rearguard, is an excellent skater, and has tremendous natural offensive instincts. This combination of size, speed, and skill had scouts salivating over him in the 2011 draft, and many in the Oilers organization are enthused about what he could potentially become. He has work to do on his positioning, his defensive play, and generally on the finer aspects of the game, and will be given every opportunity to develop those abilities
http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/7/26...op-25-under-25

Quote:
And this is what he said after the preliminary round of that tournament:

Sweden's top puck rusher is Brodin's teammate in Farjestad and is a much flashier prospect because he zooms up the ice like he's been shot from a cannon, fires the puck hard and plays a more aggressive, dynamic style. He may not be Brodin's equal defensively or even in how he processes and thinks the game, but we love the way he activates at the right time and will jump into the play....
And since we've heard him talk about his strengths, here's what Leudeke had to say about Klefbom's weaknesses just before the draft:

Undisciplined; attacking style lands him in trouble when he pinches at wrong times. Not an overly instinctive player.... Hockey sense may not be good enough for him to reach the production levels his pure talent would allow for. Rough around the edges and has to guard against taking bad penalties, but no major flaws in his game.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1026

Quote:
The Bad: Hockey sense is Klefbom's major liability as it grades as a fringe tool. He doesn't see the ice well, takes too long with decisions, displays a suspect defensive game at times and can get too overzealous with his offensive rushes and pinches. Klefbom also has a tendency to make bad decisions when being physically pressured.
Just some scouting reports before and after he was drafted.

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:46 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
I've watched him at the world juniors, but will admit I haven't been able to watch him play in Europe. The information I know about him I've gathered from this site and other sites, and the few games I vaguely remember him playing at the Jrs.

But for the hockey IQ part, here are a couple quotes I've found from scouts/scouting sites

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/oscar_klefbom/

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/7/26...op-25-under-25

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1026

Just some scouting reports before and after he was drafted.
Those are all old. It's all changed. He's now the Oilers best prospect and is on a different level than all of our other prospects. Very smart hockey player.

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:08 AM
14eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the Leafs used both compliance buyouts so they then could use the resulting cap space to add Hemsky. Seriously Oiler nation, nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants your crusty overpaid broken old soft winger. He has no value in trade, in fact with that salary he has negative trade value. You would have to give up assets just to have some team agree to take him. Yet he's always involved in every proposal for some other team's captain or key player somehow, as if the Leafs were only a Hemsky away from winning it all. Here's a proposal for ya, John Michael Liles, Stuart Percy and a 1st round pick for Taylor Hall. What, not interested? Wonder why?
Are you serious?? You do realize this trade proposal is based on the fact that Phaneuf's contract expires in a year, that means there is a potential for a trade if he doesnt sign long term, you want to lose him for nothing??? That also means that the trade value for him is much lower than his potential. This trade from all angles is more than enough for Phaneuf, you get hemsky who also like Phaneuf has an expiring contract, you get Klefbom he could potentially be a Phaneuf, and if he resigns you get a 1st!! thats more than enough for Phaneuf with a year left before free agency. On the other hand Taylor Hall is a 1st overall pick, who was top ten in scoring in the league last season, as is signed on for another 6 years with a smaller cap hit than Phaneuf. Much different in value!!!

I just feel the Oil fans don't realize that Klefbom still has to develop his game for North American style of game, and could take long time to develop, on top we have prospects such as Nurse, Marincin, Gernat that will develop in the next few years, also Musil. This is the right time for us to trade Klefbom, especially when most other teams realize that he has a high potential, that means his value is decently high, when compared to the rest of our prospects whose value is not as high.

14eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:

That's a copout excusing poor behaviour.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

way too much to give up

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:38 AM
predshabs

I would like to add the Predators into this mix and make it a three way trade.

Oilers get- Phaneuf, Rights to Spaling, Gaustad, Predators 1st round pick

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary),Kulemin

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque/Smith ( your choice)

Last edited by predshabs: 07-16-2013 at 06:46 AM.
predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I would like to add the Predators into this mix and make it a three way trade.

Oilers get- Phaneuf, Rights to Spaling, Gaustad, Predators 1st round pick

Predators get- Smid,Hemsky(at $4 million salary Oilers pay other 2 actual salary)

Maple Leafs get- Ellis/Bartley(Your choice L or R),Klefborn,Oilers 1st round pick, Bourque/Smith ( your choice)
Oilers say nope.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Oilers fans dont want Maple Leafs sloppy seconds..

On the other hand at least Petry would have someone to practice shooting the puck into his own net with.. They can even have Assistand Coach Steve Smith give them pointers ..

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:37 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Oilers fans dont want Maple Leafs sloppy seconds..

On the other hand at least Petry would have someone to practice shooting the puck into his own net with.. They can even have Assistand Coach Steve Smith give them pointers ..
No but you want our AHL teams sloppy seconds! Lol Eakins, Brown, Hamilton

sokocanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

I see no reason for the Leafs to want to add Hemsky at the expense of their number one defenseman. That said, Phanuef is not a true number one defenseman(like Smid might be on the Oilers but not a true number one), and Phanuef only seems to have a four year shelf life until the "trade" rumours start blowing and rumours of character/locker room issues. The Oilers don't need that kind of "leadership" qualities in the dressing room.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I see no reason for the Leafs to want to add Hemsky at the expense of their number one defenseman. That said, Phanuef is not a true number one defenseman(like Smid might be on the Oilers but not a true number one), and Phanuef only seems to have a four year shelf life until the "trade" rumours start blowing and rumours of character/locker room issues. The Oilers don't need that kind of "leadership" qualities in the dressing room.
Rumours of character/locker room issues? What media are you getting this from... his days in Calgary? Yeah, okay... although I believe it was more a conflict between him and a few players, if he has that horrible of a person in Clgary why is he still great friends with Iginla? Either way, I haven't seen anything that suggests he's a locker-room cancer in Toronto.

Most leaf fans aren't putting Phaneuf in proposals, if they are it's because they believe Rielly and/or Gardiner can be on our top pairing and don't think they'd mesh with Phaneuf very well (they could, or they might not... won't know for a few years).

How can people deny Phaneuf is a #1 Dman? I don't care if you think he's a good #1 or a poor #1, there should be NO WAY you can deny he's a #1 Dman. Plays the toughest (or close to) minutes in the NHL, logs a TON of TOI, was even rated #25 (#24 when you remove Lidstrom) by HFboards in 2012 before he had another great year this year, etc. etc. Even with people crapping on Phaneuf endlessly on Hfboards, they still thought he deserved to be ranked as a #1 Dman (with a few weird choices ahead of him though).

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Rumours of character/locker room issues? What media are you getting this from... his days in Calgary? Yeah, okay... although I believe it was more a conflict between him and a few players, if he has that horrible of a person in Clgary why is he still great friends with Iginla? Either way, I haven't seen anything that suggests he's a locker-room cancer in Toronto.
Rumors within Calgary regarding the events that led to his quick removal from the Flames are pretty well accepted around town. I've heard the same timeline from 3 different individuals who have close ties to the team at that time. There were locker room issues with Phaneuf during his time in Calgary, that is pretty much accepted as fact around these parts.

Suggestions that he has leadership issues in Toronto have been leveled by Bill Watters, a former assistant GM of the Leafs. He recently went on a radio station in Edmonton and laid his views of Dion out in public.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Rumors within Calgary regarding the events that led to his quick removal from the Flames are pretty well accepted around town. I've heard the same timeline from 3 different individuals who have close ties to the team at that time. There were locker room issues with Phaneuf during his time in Calgary, that is pretty much accepted as fact around these parts.

Suggestions that he has leadership issues in Toronto have been leveled by Bill Watters, a former assistant GM of the Leafs. He recently went on a radio station in Edmonton and laid his views of Dion out in public.
Watters isn't really a reputable source for this kind of stuff is he? He hasn't been the AGM since 2003 so it's not like he was here when Phaneuf was.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

You shouldn't be using Watters as a credible source.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Watters isn't really a reputable source for this kind of stuff is he? He hasn't been the AGM since 2003 so it's not like he was here when Phaneuf was.
Ah, so we should take your word for it then?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Lacaar

Some Oiler fans trade their top prospect for a 1 year rental to try to make the playoffs.

As an Oiler fan I think they're off their rocker.

Who trades their 1st round picks or top prospects for a 1 year rental to try and make the playoffs?

Don't you do that to try and win the stanley cup?

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This is hilarious. Let me guess, you're also a fan of Eklund?

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Umm what? We could use the same approach as a court of law uses, innocent until proven guilty?

Or we could go with the much more obvious route and think to ourselves that if nobody except for one person (who isn't a credible source) makes something up that nobody else agrees with/backs up than why believe it's true?

Old
07-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Some Oiler fans trade their top prospect for a 1 year rental to try to make the playoffs.

As an Oiler fan I think they're off their rocker.

Who trades their 1st round picks or top prospects for a 1 year rental to try and make the playoffs?

Don't you do that to try and win the stanley cup?
Not even debating the value of the trade, but the thread is very clearly labelled "Potential Signing + trade" which wouldn't make Phaneuf a rental...

Old
07-16-2013, 04:34 PM
District99

are you serious thats like giving up 2, 1st in the top 10 for phaneuf(LOL) plus hemsky ... wow overpayment at its finest lol

District99 is offline   Reply With Quote