HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Is the CFL a minor league?

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 03:03 AM
MrSZ56

vCash: 500
OT: Is the CFL a minor league?

As a long time reader of this site I have noticed a disturbing number of threads where people rip the CFL and call it a minor league product. They compare the league to the AHL and act as if winning the Grey Cup means nothing more than winning the Calder Cup. How is the CFL comparable to the AHL? The CFL kills the AHL in TV viewership, in media coverage, and in talent level. The talent level in the AHL is well below not only the KHL but even some other European Leagues like the NLA, the Swedish League, and the Finnish League. Simply put, the CFL gets all the best football players outside the NFL, while the AHL is at best the 5th ranked hockey league in the world.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:09 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
CFL is more like KHL, except they cant attract as many talents.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:19 AM
MrSZ56

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
CFL is more like KHL, except they cant attract as many talents.
I totally agree with that analogy but it seems many on this site do not. The sad part is the most vocal CFL bashers are "Canadians" primarily hailing from the Greater Toronto Area.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:35 AM
idiroft

American football is basically a north american game. You don't have real competitive leagues outside of NA. So the 1st tier talent goes to NFL and the 2nd tier talent goes to CFL. End of story.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:53 AM
Bure All Day

The fact we (CFL) have different rules and game-style changes it a bit I think.

CFL is a pretty big step down from the NHL though, I wouldn't want to imagine a Ti-cats vs NFL team matchup...

Old
07-16-2013, 04:07 AM
MrSZ56

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiroft View Post
American football is basically a north american game. You don't have real competitive leagues outside of NA. So the 1st tier talent goes to NFL and the 2nd tier talent goes to CFL. End of story.
I agree, but the AHL is in hockey's fourth tier while the CFL is football's second tier.

1. NHL
2. KHL
3. European Leagues (NLA, Sweden League, Finish League, etc.)
4. AHL

Old
07-16-2013, 06:39 AM
wunderpanda
don't get shutout

Not sure if you can really say CFL is a step down talent wise across the board, sure some positions its true, but CFL needs different types of players. Larger field, fewer downs, kickers actually make a difference, agility is rewarded more, where the NFL is more brute force and larger, clunkier bodies.

The KHL analogy fits very well, just because the KHL players don't play meathead hockey doesn't mean they aren't just as talented as NHL players.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:55 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

I like the CFL. Obviously it's not as good as the NFL but it's still a solid sports league. I have it with MLS as the 5th best major sports league in North America.

07-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Bad News Bears
All goalies be trash

vCash: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSZ56 View Post
I agree, but the AHL is in hockey's fourth tier while the CFL is football's second tier.

1. NHL
2. KHL
3. European Leagues (NLA, Sweden League, Finish League, etc.)
4. AHL
You're not wrong, but hockey is an international sport, so the intake for the NHL and AHL isn't only from it's own country, but from many around the world. The NFL and CFL are only taking players from 2 countries, making it a more limited intake.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:31 AM
TorontoSports

The CFL is a waste of time. Every time the league takes a step forward it ends up taking two steps back. The professional sports landscape in North America has outgrown leagues like the CFL by a wide margin.

It's basically TSN run welfare league.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Not sure if you can really say CFL is a step down talent wise across the board, sure some positions its true, but CFL needs different types of players. Larger field, fewer downs, kickers actually make a difference, agility is rewarded more, where the NFL is more brute force and larger, clunkier bodies.

The KHL analogy fits very well, just because the KHL players don't play meathead hockey doesn't mean they aren't just as talented as NHL players.

Pretty sure you can.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:43 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I can't agree that the AHL is really behind the SM-Liiga or FEL, but it helps the OPs case so of course that's where he has them.

There's a reason that European products stay in those leagues after being drafted before reaching the AHL...

Old
07-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
The CFL is a waste of time. Every time the league takes a step forward it ends up taking two steps back. The professional sports landscape in North America has outgrown leagues like the CFL by a wide margin.

Pfff. I do not watch the CFL at all, (I'm more of a Canadian College Football and NFL fan) but what is wrong with smaller leagues?

There's nothing wrong with smaller, independant leagues that aren't the feeders for bigger leagues. It allows more cities to enjoy sports!

Old
07-16-2013, 08:57 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

AHL always struck me as the AAA of the hockey world. Basically the best of the talent that couldn't make the parent league. I'd agree the CFL doesnt' exactly fit due to different skillsets needed. The 350lb groundpounders don't work well in this league for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSZ56 View Post
I totally agree with that analogy but it seems many on this site do not. The sad part is the most vocal CFL bashers are "Canadians" primarily hailing from the Greater Toronto Area.
Quote:

Well that example showed up quickly.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

One of the few leagues actually expanding.

3 brand spanking new stadiums will be going up or have gone up in a 5 year span (Investor's Group Stadium 2013, Tim Horton's Stadium 2014, Unnamed Saskatchewan Stadium 2017). 2 Stadiums also getting huge renovations done in that span (BC Place 2012, Frank Claire Stadium 2014).

That's 5 of 9 teams getting completely revamped homes. Are there 18 new NHL rinks being built? Not saying that that is the be all to end all, but when team's have the money for new or completely refurbished home it is hard to say they are struggling.

CFL is 3rd highest in North America and 7th in the WORLD in terms of average attendance.

The CFL is in the best position it has been since 80's.

How exactly is the league going backwards?

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 07-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:

Annnnnd the wannabe Toronto Americans have arrived.

The CFL is a fantastic product/league. There's something appealing about watching pro sports where you're not being smashed over the head by incessant commercialization, or the fact that the athletes you are watching literally make more money in an hour than you do in a year.

CFL is top class; the athletes are dedicated to the game and happy to be playing; the stadiums and fanbases are solid (and getting better every year); the league is expanding rapidly, both from a marketing and a physical standpoint. What's not to love?

Not to mention, the rule changes for the CFL make it a far more exciting and entertaining game than the NFL version.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

Exactly. The best of the best are in the NFL, nobody doubts that (eg Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc for NHL).

To me a guy like Milt Stegall or Charles Roberts (to use some BB examples that fit well) are like a Sergei Mozyakin. Could never fit the prototype for the big league, much too small and played to different of a game. However became game changers at the lower level that played the style of game that allowed them to excel. If the NFL had used CFL rules those guys would have been stars. Not superstars, but quality players. Remember that most CFL players were NCAA Div 1 superstars (except the odd one here and there, same as NFL though who we find backups in college being key NFL players).

Obviously Tom Brady comes to CFL he will more than dominate. But to say the CFL is made up of guys who couldn't crack it in NFL (ala AHL) is not at all true, as it isn't with KHL since it is two different games that are played, A LOT more different than even KHL to NHL.

I love how most of the hate comes from Canadians who want to feel superior for watching "the best" and most Americans agree that although different the Canadian game is an exciting brand of football to watch.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiroft View Post
That's not entirely correct. While in the general sense, for the last number of years if a player could be a starter in either the NFL or CFL he would choose the NFL. However, the games are different and require different skill sets. A player who is successful at the NFL level may be very mediocre playing in the CFL. Its not simply a matter of all the top players in the NFL would be the top players in the CFL.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Chip Chipperson

Just for my own curiosity, is there any actually viable places for expansion after Ottawa? I am pumped for the CFL to be back here. It would be nice to see the league be able to get to an even 10 teams.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:23 AM
LouisOlivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Just for my own curiosity, is there any actually viable places for expansion after Ottawa? I am pumped for the CFL to be back here. It would be nice to see the league be able to get to an even 10 teams.
Quebec City... but for now we'are too focus on the NHL dream.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Obviously QC, we get more then 15 thousand people to every single Rouge et Or college Football game, and have the ''Stade Telus'' that could be made a little bigger. We were even said to be a possible landing spot for Hamilton if they relocated.

But whatever, the CFL will most likely ignore us like every single sports league in existance (other then Can-Am baseball and the CHL) and go to...like Moncton.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
There was actually a team almost going to play out of Nova Scotia in the 80's called the Atlantic Schooners. It never came to fruition but there is always rumblings of trying to expand out into the maritimes. Into Halifax or Moncton etc.. So that's a possibility down the road as well as possibly Quebec City.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I love how most of the hate comes from Canadians who want to feel superior for watching "the best" and most Americans agree that although different the Canadian game is an exciting brand of football to watch.
Hear hear. Funny how Canadians seem to hate the things that hail from this country, and view American product as better with few exceptions. Maybe it's an Ontario thing? Mostly noticed it when living in this province.

Quote:
Well this is jsut my own personal opinion, but I'd state that Quebec City is almost a given (strong football programs at Laval, good support of teams in the area), and Halifax (Nova Scotia CIS teams get good fan support, albeit less then Eastern Quebec). Always felt London, ONtario would be a good place for a team as well with the size of the city and surrounding SW Ontario to draw on. After that it starts dropping quickly. A team in New Brunswick akin to Saskatchewan coudl work, although with the economy the way it is it might be dicey?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Would be awesome, but unfortunately there is nothing imminent.

Quebec City would be a great place for a team, football is booming in Quebec (province) but there's seems to be little to no talk of a stadium there or any serious interest. Right now PEPS Stade Exterieur seats 12,500, although can be expanded to 19,500. Little small. Laval currently plays there. All it would take is one motivated owner though, and I think CFL would be great there.

There's been talk of an "atlantic" team based out of Moncton due to "Touchdown Atlantic" but Moncton Stadium seats only 10,000 expandable to 20,000 and Touchdown Atlantic was not the rousing success people had hoped for.

Biggest current stadium in Halifax is Huskies Stadium, it seats only 4000.

No stadiums or serious interest it seems from Southern Ontario. Southern Ontario is perhaps the one place in Canada (outside Newfoundland) that Canadian football is not as strong as it should be. Hamilton is playing out of Guelph which has been temporarily expanded to 13000 for this season, but apparently reception has not been great.

Only other real possibility I have heard is Buffalo, but that would be dependant on a move of the Bills. Not sure if going south of the border is the right move right now.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Chip Chipperson

Well, hopefully they can get it to at least 10. TSN is doing a solid job of pumping up interest. Maybe even 12 given enough time. QC, East Coast team, Mystery location. Would be great for the league.

Closed Thread