HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Is the CFL a minor league?

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I don't like the AHL or any baseball comparisons. Those are developmental leagues. How many CFL players develop into NFL players?

Old
07-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Can you clarify what that statement means? It's really not making any sense to me.
FWIW rojac dave braley, a prominent man in cfl circles owns 100 percent of 2 teams: BC and Toronto. The NHL would never allow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There's no chance an NCAA team beats a CFL team. That would be like an OHL team beating an AHL team.

Use your head -- you don't make it pro at all unless you're elite at the college level.
Or women's hockey beating an NHL team

Old
07-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I personally feel the best Aloutettes team from the Trestman era would still lose to the NFL's worst team.

If it was the CFL field, I might still think the Alouettes would be a -35 underdog.

I love the CFL too.
Doubt you get very many arguments to counter that to be honest.

However it's when people act like the 55th member of the Kansas City Chiefs is world's better than the best CFL player is where the issue comes in.

Quote:
There's no chance an NCAA team beats a CFL team. That would be like an OHL team beating an AHL team.

Use your head -- you don't make it pro at all unless you're elite at the college level.
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Okay, are people not allowed to like what they want anymore? Why do have to like the CFL if you are from Toronto or any other city? Why do like the NHL when its based in New York?
No. The problem is that the only people that DO attack the CFL are those who are out to prove a point. They like the NFL really with the sole purpose of putting down the CFL. And there are some in this thread already.

Quote:
There are lots of the AHL guys who could crack but don't because they are prospects, personal issues. As for the Bashing, no different from hockey fans and the NHL>>>KHL(used to be true, maybe not so much anymore.)
Not sure your point. CFL is not a feeder league, it is not prospects.

And yes that is part of the reason. Same way KHL fans defend there league from the uninformed who like to attack their league, CFL fans do the same.

Quote:
For some, it's not about the skill level or players. It's the fact it has 8 teams. And it is getting it's 9th in a weak market. And has no current plans for a tenth. Even the lowly MLS is planning for 24 teams at some point. And pointing out ratings is rather dubious, just like when NHL fans do it to the NBA because both the NHL and CFL are gate driven so ratings mean squat, because you have to fill out the stadium to make money.
So? MLS is across the continent, this is just Canada. Not sure how that's relevant at all? Small number of teams is one the...oddest reasons I have ever heard.

How about I point out that CFL gate is fantastic, in fact 7th in the freaking world fantastic. Oh and they have great ratings, second in Canada behind only NHL.

Quote:
Bascially the fact OP feels CFL> AHL is solely because one is Canadian and one is not, which is BS.
Yeah, not at all what he is saying. But keep trying to spin.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What sheer ignorance. How pray tell will a team composed of 90%+ of players who will never be good enough to play in the CFL, whip a CFL team up and down the field?
Organization, teamwork, and elite physical specimens at all positions.

The CFL doesn't draw marginal NFL players who can't quite make it - it draws players who aren't even good enough to have marginal NFL careers.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSZ56 View Post
I totally agree with that analogy but it seems many on this site do not. The sad part is the most vocal CFL bashers are "Canadians" primarily hailing from the Greater Toronto Area.
theyre sheep, don't blame them they've been programmed this way by the media and there NFL agenda..

Old
07-16-2013, 11:47 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

The CFL doesn't draw marginal NFL players who can't quite make it - it draws players who aren't even good enough to have marginal NFL careers.
Yeah do you know how many of thsoe eleite physical specimans go on to play in the NFL? Less than 3% of NCAA players even go on to have a marginal NFL career. Considering how many less teams are in the CFL, maybe 1% of the elite physical speciman NCAA players go on to play in the CFL.

To say that teams composed of 90% of players who will never be good enough to have mariginal NFL or CFL careers could beat a CFL team is laughable. Not sure what the hell your eleite physical speciman theory is going on about. Only the very elite of those players will ever make the CFL.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Oh agreed. CFL team's don't use coachs, all hate each and won't speak to each other, and only recruit fatso's.

What? You have to be kidding. Most players on every single NCAA, including starters, won't ever come close to a CFL roster. Only the elite few go NFL, then only a few others will even play pro anywhere.

CFL draws lots of players from NFL...who have mostly flopped horribly. Which is why they have learned to scout different players to play the different game. Every once and while a team gets in their head to bring a Akili Smith, Ricky Williams, Tim Couch, Cheo Lemon guys that was highly regarded by NFL scouting department...and it fails pretty much every time.

They target the guys who don't fit the NFL "mold". Because it's a different game.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
theyre sheep, don't blame them they've been programmed this way by the media and there NFL agenda..
Considering how little attention the annual NFL game gets in Toronto from the local populace, I'm somehow doubting that an "NFL agenda" is to blame.

I do agree that equivocating the CFL to the AHL is off-base, though. That being said, don't think that the CFL/KHL analogy fits either, as the gap between the NHL and KHL seems a lot smaller than the gap between the NFL and CFL.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Doubt you get very many arguments to counter that to be honest.

However it's when people act like the 55th member of the Kansas City Chiefs is world's better than the best CFL player is where the issue comes in.
Those people are stupid then, and not sports fans. Why does their opinion matter?

Quote:
No. The problem is that the only people that DO attack the CFL are those who are out to prove a point. They like the NFL really with the sole purpose of putting down the CFL. And there are some in this thread already.
Well I'm not one of them. Really the CFL was struggling 10 years ago, now it's at its strongest position since world war II, people out west are not saying you are not canadian enough if you don't the CFL. They complain easterners (not just Toronto, remember it's Ottawa and Montreal that have lost their teams twice) Even riders fans who had the telethon to save their team once. Since when did football become a barometer of how Canadian you are

Quote:
Not sure your point. CFL is not a feeder league, it is not prospects.

And yes that is part of the reason. Same way KHL fans defend there league from the uninformed who like to attack their league, CFL fans do the same.
The point it is the AHL is not solely a feeder and for most of its history it was not.

Quote:
So? MLS is across the continent, this is just Canada. Not sure how that's relevant at all? Small number of teams is one the...oddest reasons I have ever heard.

How about I point out that CFL gate is fantastic, in fact 7th in the freaking world fantastic. Oh and they have great ratings, second in Canada behind only NHL.
It is because a) it in creases the odds of winning the championship, and makes the playoffs easier and b) and this is the real problem with smaller leagues of any sport, they let bad teams with .500 and losing records in the playoffs. And the CFL is nto second in canada overall behind the NHL, there are many shows who double the CFL's ratings in this country like The Big Bang Theory. And as said before the CFL is gate driven so I don't see what rating prove, other then people would rather watch at home then go to the stadium

Quote:
Yeah, not at all what he is saying. But keep trying to spin.
That is what this is about, and the complaining about what Torontonians do on their spare time.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
TheJudge

vCash: 1829
Quote:
Yet most of the players on those college teams will never be good enough to play in the CFL. Weird.

Quote:

I suggest you take a look at a few CFL rosters sometime, and do some research on what those players did prior to making the league. It'll help you sound more informed next time you discuss the league with someone.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Good morning ryan
Quote:
Oh agreed. CFL team's don't use coachs, all hate each and won't speak to each other, and only recruit fatso's.

What? You have to be kidding. Most players on every single NCAA, including starters, won't ever come close to a CFL roster. Only the elite few go NFL, then only a few others will even play pro anywhere.

CFL draws lots of players from NFL...who have mostly flopped horribly. Which is why they have learned to scout different players to play the different game. Every once and while a team gets in their head to bring a Akili Smith, Ricky Williams, Tim Couch, Cheo Lemon guys that was highly regarded by NFL scouting department...and it fails pretty much every time.

They target the guys who don't fit the NFL "mold". Because it's a different game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Considering how little attention the annual NFL game gets in Toronto from the local populace, I'm somehow doubting that an "NFL agenda" is to blame.

I do agree that equivocating the CFL to the AHL is off-base, though. That being said, don't think that the CFL/KHL analogy fits either, as the gap between the NHL and KHL seems a lot smaller than the gap between the NFL and CFL.

It actually makes more sense then the CFL = AHL stuff, OP is being a drama queen which is why he brought that up.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:

Hum, feel free to correct me, but that seems completely wrong.

A lot of current cfl players went to the nfl camps, tried their best, then moved to the CFL.

But maybe I heard wrong.

Also, the idea that... Say Notre Dame would beat a CFL team is quite silly.

It'd be like the Quebec Remparts (CHL) beating Hamilton (AHL). Boys against men. Not happening.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Hum, feel free to correct me, but that seems completely wrong.

A lot of current cfl players went to the nfl camps, tried their best, then moved to the CFL.

But maybe I heard wrong.

It'd be like the Quebec Remparts (CHL) beating Hamilton (AHL). Boys against men. Not happening.
You're right. It's not about the players. CFL players are fine. Or the rules. CFL has more offense which can be exciting. It's about the politics and (faux) nationalism BS.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Those people are stupid then, and not sports fans. Why does their opinion matter?
Not every uniformed person is stupid, sometimes just uniformed. Which is misconceptions like that can be talked about. This is a discussion forum.

Quote:
Well I'm not one of them. Really the CFL was struggling 10 years ago, now it's at its strongest position since world war II, people out west are not saying you are not canadian enough if you don't the CFL. They complain easterners (not just Toronto, remember it's Ottawa and Montreal that have lost their teams twice) Even riders fans who had the telethon to save their team once. Since when did football become a barometer of how Canadian you are
Well, I've never said that, nor will I ever. You look back I never made any Toronto based comments or anything about supporting CFL = barometer of how Canadian, because that's stupid. However I did say it seems to Canadians who are out to GET the CFL that hate on it more than Americans. It's fine not being a fan, but when you are actively cheering against something to feel superior to the fans of that said something, that's just stupid. Particularly when they then go out of there way to spread misinformation.

Quote:
The point it is the AHL is not solely a feeder and for most of its history it was not.
Still not getting this at all. AHL is a feeder at this point, any thought otherwise is just not correct. Of course teams will try to put winners on the ice, and there is a couple veterans out there to help winning, since that helps development in some people's opinion. The goal of the AHL teams is to develop for NHL teams. It is not comparable to CFL, NHL-KHL is closer to the reality.

Quote:
It is because a) it in creases the odds of winning the championship, and makes the playoffs easier and b) and this is the real problem with smaller leagues of any sport, they let bad teams with .500 and losing records in the playoffs. And the CFL is nto second in canada overall behind the NHL, there are many shows who double the CFL's ratings in this country like The Big Bang Theory. And as said before the CFL is gate driven so I don't see what rating prove, other then people would rather watch at home then go to the stadium
Letting too many teams into playoffs is a valid complaint. Meh, doesn't bother me. Can see why people dislike that.

I was talking sports ratings, obviously. CFL is not too worried about Big Bang Theory beating them.

And once again you will not answer the fact that CFL is 7th in the WORLD in attendance. Ratings is a bonus, the attendance is FANTASTIC in CFL (except maybe Toronto and this year Hamilton since they are in Guelph).

Quote:
That is what this is about, and the complaining about what Torontonians do on their spare time.
It's about it not being compared to a FEEDER league, which is not even the 2nd best in the world. There was absolutely nothing to with nationality in OP.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Sportsnet 590 the biggest sports radio station in TO slams the CFL every chance they get. its been that way for a very long time. you hear it enough times you start believing it.. what can you do?

Old
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What sheer ignorance. How pray tell will a team composed of 90%+ of players who will never be good enough to play in the CFL, whip a CFL team up and down the field?
Yup, I'm ignorant. Guessing you didnt see how many Alabama players have made the NFL the past couple years?

Quote:

Thats not an apt comparison. You're comparing a league of 17-18 year old kids vs the NHL's AAA, with the 19-22 year olds in NCAA football (who's in effect the NFL's AAA) vs a league comprised of guys who would be, at best, 3rd stringers in the NFL. Not exactly going out on a limb to think a school like Alabama, who has at any given time 15-20 future starting NFL caliber players on their roster, could take out a team of guys who at best are practice squad NFLers.

Last edited by IceAce: 07-16-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
Ryan34222

Quote:
Good morning ryan

how are yah sir?

Old
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Not every uniformed person is stupid, sometimes just uniformed. Which is misconceptions like that can be talked about. This is a discussion forum.
Fair enough. I hate people who make comments about players. It's ridiculous, espcially when you have never played the game

Quote:
Well, I've never said that, nor will I ever. You look back I never made any Toronto based comments or anything about supporting CFL = barometer of how Canadian, because that's stupid. However I did say it seems to Canadians who are out to GET the CFL that hate on it more than Americans. It's fine not being a fine, but when you are actively cheering against something to feel superior to the fans of that said something, that's just stupid.
I can agree with this.

Quote:
Still not getting this at all. AHL is a feeder at this point, any thought otherwise is just not correct. Of course teams will try to put winners on the ice, and there is a couple veterans out there to help winning, since that helps development in some people's opinion. The goal of the AHL teams is to develop for NHL teams. It is not comparable to CFL, NHL-KHL is closer to the reality.
Agreed with this too. I went with it because the OP did.

Quote:
Letting too many teams into playoffs is a valid complaint. Meh, doesn't bother me. Can see why people dislike that.

I was talking sports ratings, obviously. CFL is not too worried about Big Bang Theory beating them.

And once again you will not answer the fact that CFL is 7th in the WORLD in attendance. Ratings is a bonus, the attendance is FANTASTIC in CFL (except maybe Toronto and this year Hamilton since they are in Guelph).
Well I fully admit the CFL does well, now, in attendance. Fine. I'm just saying the ratings don't matter, just like with the NHL.

Quote:
It's about it not being compared to a FEEDER league, which is not even the 2nd best in the world. There was absolutely nothing to with nationality in OP.
I guess his Toronto comment rubs me wrong.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
how are yah sir?
Well we have this debate again so I guess well, like every day. I hope Hamilton gets an NHL team soon, only thing that will make stop the Toronto NFL debate.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:

No stadiums or serious interest it seems from Southern Ontario. Southern Ontario is perhaps the one place in Canada (outside Newfoundland) that Canadian football is not as strong as it should be.
By not as strong as it should be you mean it has no fans, than yes would be correct. The CFL in Newfoundland just have around 100 fans. I've never met anyone who brings up the CFL, or where's any CFL attire. The NFL is very popular here but the CFL is mostly the butt end of jokes.

I'm not really sure why the NFL is so popular and the CFL isn't its just kind of funny how big of a difference there is between them, in the number of fans.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post

But maybe I heard wrong.
If by "a lot" you mean "most" - yes, you heard wrong. Let's look at the Lions' WR roster - Alcorn State, Laval, Harvard, NW Oklahoma, Buffalo - distinct lack of players from top flight NCAA programs.

No question a top flight NCAA roster has more talent and physicality than a CFL roster - no question at all IMO.

Quote:
You have your opinion, I have mine.

So it goes...and none of this means the CFL is somehow worthless or shouldn't be watched...

Old
07-16-2013, 12:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not every uniformed person is stupid, sometimes just uniformed.
Case in point: military doctors

Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Sportsnet 590 the biggest sports radio station in TO slams the CFL every chance they get. its been that way for a very long time. you hear it enough times you start believing it.. what can you do?
I'll take your word for it, but sounds more like an anti-football agenda versus a NFL > CFL agenda.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Well I fully admit the CFL does well, now, in attendance. Fine. I'm just saying the ratings don't matter, just like with the NHL.
Didn't think we were that far apart

I really think you are downplaying the ratings too much, TSN does provide quite a nice package for CFL. And NBC and TSN/CBC do add quite a bit of money to NHL pockets as well. It does not line the pockets like NFL or MLB, but they do quite well. Meh.

Quote:
I guess his Toronto comment rubs me wrong.
I was looking at OP, didn't realize that Toronto comment was the OP a few posts later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
By not as strong as it should be you mean it has no fans, than yes would be correct. The CFL in Newfoundland just have around 100 fans. I've never met anyone who brings up the CFL, or where's any CFL attire. The NFL is very popular here but the CFL is mostly the butt end of jokes.

I'm not really sure why the NFL is so popular and the CFL isn't its just kind of funny how big of a difference there is between them, in the number of fans.
Yeah I've worked with a bunch of Newfies or ex-Newfies out in Alberta and Saskatchewan and for some reason they have just no exposure at all to CFL. Not sure why that is. It's weird. Only place in Canada that just does not care at all. Very odd.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

Could that be because there is no team there though?

I know for myself, when there isn't a team in Ottawa I couldn't care less about the CFL and don't watch it at all, however I am a die hard Chargers fan and watch the NFL weekly. Most of my friends are the same way. That being said, when we do get a CFL team, I will be getting seasons tickets because it's relatively inexpensive and great entertainment. I'm only a CFL fan when we have a team and I'm sure there are lots of people like me.

Closed Thread