Thornton on WEEI commenting on Bergeron

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 06:04 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Thornton on WEEI commenting on Bergeron

Joe was his usual upbeat, carefree, and honest self on with Dale and Neumie this week- just heard the recap this morning around 7. He had some interesting things to say about Bergeron though. Joe's voice kinda piqued up when Dale asked him what he thought of him and offered some interesting comments. Joe said he is 'really' a good player; he commented on how he sees the ice well and has a good sense of the game- he goes in (I can't remember how he put it- dark? some term) the areas guys are somewhat reluctant to. What he was saying is he has balls. What I found interesting was his tone to the question, the insertion of the word really instead of 'yah, he's a good player'. He also said he plays defense (that part I remember) and has a developed game in Joe's mind from watching him.

I still can't believe he'll be productive- as Mizral says thats a big difference than making it. Heck, me and you could make it if they picked us but we'd put up Oliwa numbers (but fare better in the fights ) across the board 0-0-00. However, in Dupes column today which was very imformative (I'm a big smorgasboard of info guy) touched on some comments from Sullivan that are as telling as you are going to get. Sullivan in paper, Lapointe to Beers. and Joe to Dale and Neumier all extolling Bergeron's 'apparent' complete game. Mr the Sun is going to shine ME still is going to wait on this one. Also-

Dupont had some outstanding stuff on Jillson- meat and potatoes quotes about his performance. GREAT. I still believe if Jillson can come in here and take Boynton like steps albeit a different type of game; Boynton gets back, and McGillis and O'Donnell are healthy this is a top 5 defense in the EAST- crazy, well, I'm counting on Boynton signed which I think will happen soon and Jillson continuing to play well. Both can happen.

As for the goaltending- Black Eye or somebody made a comment about Bruins cutting losses quickly and Potvin with two more games like the first two (Sullivan said Potvin got left out to dry and thats probably true)
could be in some trouble but the Wings game probably doesn't count as much as the Islanders game. I still don't think he's going to be gone unless a Burke or Joseph deal could be done- this seems to be playing out and we may still be to early in the story to know even if the story is speeding along and may have a knew twist within a week. At this time, to tough to tell- the big thing is the Broons may be thinking geez, next year we may have Toivonen and Raycroft here anyways. Put a decent defense infront of them- and OD, McGillis, Boynton, Gill and Jillson is a pretty good start imo- couple of 'high end' youngsters, two solid tough experienced vets, a good defensive guy in Gill- why not.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:20 AM
brianscot

Perhaps, I'm naive, but I also believe a defense containing Odonnell, Gill, Boynton, Mcgillis, and Jillson is potentially above average.

Boynton and Jillson's upsides remain the key.

The others will perform at their typical career levels (3 - 4 types) but Boynton and Jillson have the potential to be solid 2s.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:47 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Berggy

Keeping Bergeron in the lineup is good for Thornton's captaincy. He needs guys with less NHL experience than him who are smart that he can lead. Better that than trying to lead guys like Grumpel and McIllness.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:14 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Bergeron's hockey sense is the first thing you notice about him. He's always in the right place, doing the right thing, even if he doesn't necessarily succeed. Skill-wise, he needs to get his shot off faster if he's going to score goals, but he really does bring nearly every dimension to the table.

As for the defense, if you figure...

O'Donnell (who should have the 'A' this season)
McGillis
Boynton
Gill

... are all certain to make the big club, that leaves you with 2/3 (depending on the Berard outcome) spots to fill with other guys.

Rich Brennan - Stank it up last night in Manchester. In a tight race, you have to figure that knocks him pretty far down the depth chart. I mean, he was absolutely horrible. He goes to Providence as an injury replacement.

Zdenak Kutlak - The Dark Horse. Played a game almost identical to Hal Gill's. I see them sending him to Providence and using him as a first-round call up in the event that anything happens to a Gill or O'Donnell.

Jeff Jillson - He's not Kyle McLaren. Once everyone gets over this fact, you can start to see the positives in his game. Jillson has made it very clear that he takes extremely well to coaching, and has the physical assets to play whatever type of game the Bruins need. He looks the most "NHL"-ish of any of the young Bruin defensemen.

Milan Jurcina - Talk about your tough calls for management. Milan is the most potential-laden defenseman in the system right now, but his style of play will earn him the ire of the casual fan at the Fleet right now, which might not be the best thing for a young defenseman's confidence. He's got oodles of finesse for someone with such a big frame, and as soon as he starts taking the body instead of looking for the poke check, he's going to be the finest defenseman on the Bruins roster. He has all the skills to be a top-four NHL defenseman right now. The question is, do you develop his physical game in Boston or Providence (when correctly doing so will make him the BEST defenseman on your team). I don't know the answer to that question, I only hope the Bruins do.

Shaone Morrisson - He doesn't seem completely ready, but I suspect he'll be used as an insurance policy if Berard winds up elsewhere. The kid has great offensive skills if you unleash him, and the Bruins could find themselves badly in need of that come the start of the regular season.

My predicted starting lineup...

O'Donnell Gill
McGillis Jillson
Boynton Jurcina
Berard/Morrisonn

Old
09-27-2003, 08:20 AM
DKH

great post- I only hope they get Boynton done asap because that 'probably' will put a strain on the others from McGillis and O'Donnell playing to much and asking for them to step up even more which isn't fair. Ideally, to me (and I haven't seen much if any of alot of these yutes) is Jillson makes it to stay with the parent club and Jurcina goes down to Providence and gets heepings of ice time with Morrisonn in every situation imaginable. Brennan wont like it but he'd be great with these two assuming he stuck around if farmed out.

I like O'Donnell and McGillis- hey, they are what they are. It takes stars and support players to win and both are warriors imo. Boynton certainly is two and he and Jillson would give us lunatic fringe card carriers a couple of high end youngsters to flaunt in the Habs face when Komisarek and Hainsey are struggling

Old
09-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Pielsman

O'Donnell Gill
McGillis Jillson
Boynton Jurcina
Berard/Morrisonn
__________________________________________________ ________

I like your thinking, but have to split hairs a bit here.

I think both McGillis AND Jillson as a pairing may be too much offensive/ gambling types together. I'd rather see Moran somewhere in the mix, as 3 rookies making the team (Morrison, Jillson, Jurcina) is probably too much at once.

Also, I'd like to see OD with one rookie (such as Jillson) and Gill with the other (Jurcina ?) to help "steady the ship".

How about;

O'Donnell Jillson
McGillis Boynton
Gill Berard
Moran (?) Just my one cent. -Piels

Old
09-27-2003, 09:10 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielsman

O'Donnell Gill
McGillis Jillson
Boynton Jurcina
Berard/Morrisonn
__________________________________________________ ________

I like your thinking, but have to split hairs a bit here.

I think both McGillis AND Jillson as a pairing may be too much offensive/ gambling types together. I'd rather see Moran somewhere in the mix, as 3 rookies making the team (Morrison, Jillson, Jurcina) is probably too much at once.

Also, I'd like to see OD with one rookie (such as Jillson) and Gill with the other (Jurcina ?) to help "steady the ship".

How about;

O'Donnell Jillson
McGillis Boynton
Gill Berard
Moran (?) Just my one cent. -Piels
I like your pairings- nice balance; O'Donnell would be my take to play with Jillson also; Sean's not going to get to rattled and will play tough infront of the net, thinks defense first but has a tad of offense. Again, agree on McGillis and Boynton- very underrated hitters here and I'd like to know what pairing in the league can lay the body like these two. Boynton brings the edge and looks for the blue line open ice hit like no Broon defenseman in years and McGillis when on his game brings 'pretty good' offense and a physical style to the game. Heck, these two could feed off each other- like it alot.

As for the bottom pairings- agree again. I like Berard because he tries and skates like heck; any rumor of him not being a good teammate is BS also- I heard that somewhere and no it was squashed. He's a good teammate. He does need to play with someone defensive and Gill's about as good as you can find without talking the Stevens and Hatchers of the world. Good fit again, and Berard and Girard bad experiment will hopefully never be seen again- although I'm a Girard guy and would have kept Girard over Berard. Gill does a nice job imo and this to could be a decent pairing. Berard will bust his ass regardless even though his defensive skills are not close to his strong suit- effort when your that talented can get the job done especially when your partner is an old school stay-at-homer guy.

Moran will be a fine 7th guy and played well down the stretch. He's legendary as a great teammate and plays hard.

Not to bad at all- now we just need Boynton

oh, and what pairing would hit more than Boynton-McGillis? Mizarl? Michael Karlstrom???

Old
09-27-2003, 12:25 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot
Perhaps, I'm naive, but I also believe a defense containing Odonnell, Gill, Boynton, Mcgillis, and Jillson is potentially above average.

Boynton and Jillson's upsides remain the key.

The others will perform at their typical career levels (3 - 4 types) but Boynton and Jillson have the potential to be solid 2s.
My thoughts exactly.

The one thing I am curious to see is how well the Bruins defense fares with less mobility and puck carrying skill than last season. More teams will continue emphasizing their forwards rushing the defense and pressuring the puck. How effective the B's are at the first pass and transitioning up ice could play a huge role in their success. The transition will not only require the ability to handle and pass the puck from in deep, but it will rely on the Bruins ability to skate it out. Having the forwards come back isn't always the best option. The B's are missing that slick skater and quick puck mover, which could prove to be a problem. I do believe the B's have derfensemen who can headman the puck, Boynton, Jillson and McGillis can skate it out, but the element of transition speed and movement could be mostly void on the backline.

It is this reason why I will have to reserve judgment about the defense until later. For now, NJ and Ottowa have the best defenses in the East. Both have an extensive levels of balance between size, mobilty and offense. NJ has more toughness, but Ottowa has greatly improved their grit with the presence of Chara. But the B's, they are still a few steps from this level. Their offensive guys don't have the shine, and their defensive guys have some limitations which, as you said, relegate them to #3-4 status rather than anything more. Together as a group, the sum of the parts could be greater than the whole for the B's, and they are certainly on the right track and better than year's past, but I wouldn't want to overestimate their stature. The Bruins lack the anchor and overall balance in numbers needed to set the tone in their zone and ultimately prove the defense to be a fundamental strength.

The great news is that could drastically change with the emergence of Jillson, Jurcina, Jonsson, Morrisonn and Stuart over the next 2-3 years...

Old
09-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Ratty

Don't forget Andrew Alberts. He has made rapid progress in his two years under Jerry York at BC. He's big and likes to hit. Pencil him in among the likes of Jonsson and Stuart in two years.

And, he's here in town where we can watch his development in a great program.

Old
09-27-2003, 04:19 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
Don't forget Andrew Alberts. He has made rapid progress in his two years under Jerry York at BC. He's big and likes to hit. Pencil him in among the likes of Jonsson and Stuart in two years.

And, he's here in town where we can watch his development in a great program.
Without a doubt -- my oversight.

Closed Thread