HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carolina - Winnipeg

Old
07-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Carolina - Winnipeg

Mark Stuart
Patrice Cormier

Tuomo Ruutu (1 million salary retained)

Why Carolina does this: Carolina has several speculated free agent moves lined up (Jagr, Morrow, Hainsey). Moving Ruutu helps free up cap space and acquiring Mark Stuart helps free up the possibility of making a separate trade to move another defenseman. Which then opens up room to possibly sign Hainsey. Cormier has the ceiling of a bottom 6er who is good at faceoffs and is an all effort player. He hasn't quite worked out with Winnipeg, but could provide the cheap depth Carolina may be looking for in their bottom 6. If not Cormier, Carolina could be looking at one of Winnipeg's other B-prospects.

Why Winnipeg does this: Ruutu at a 3.75 million cap hit is a lot easier to take especially with injury concerns. He gives Winnipeg the depth option they've been looking for who can slot in at several spots in the roster and provide secondary scoring, essentially replacing and improving upon the role Antropov held with the team.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

vCash: 500
With Faulk, Tlusty and Pitkanen/UFA or trade replacementís new contracts kicking in, in 2014-2015, getting Ruutuís contract off the books wouldnít be a bad idea. However, with his physicality on the forecheck as well as his willingness and ability to go to the tough areas to score goals, #15 brings a dimension that the team needs up front now and in the future. I donít think GMJR would be desperate enough to move him to the point of eating a portion of his cap hit/salary. In general, Ruutu for a minimal value expiring contract(s) is stomachable, but retaining cap hit/salary is not. To be fair, I donít think that there would be much league-wide interest in the deal that Carolina would need considering Tuomoís recent hip surgeries. I would be surprised if heís not skating in Carolina Red in October.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

Ruutu's value to the Candycanes is more than any of the free agents listed.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:35 AM
jetsfan91

I would do this deal in a heart beat. Provides good depth on the third line. I liked Cormier but I don't think he will ever become that solid third liner many projected. Stuart is just a wash at this point. A lot of young defensemen fighting for roster spots and I think Stuart is the odd man out.

jetsfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf Karlsson View Post
Ruutu's value to the Candycanes is more than any of the free agents listed.
I'm just thinking that with all the young top end talent Carolina has coming up there's not much room for Ruutu at all in the top 6 and at 4.75 mil per that's a lot for a bottom 6er. They could easily deal him and sign Morrow for cheaper and Morrow could essentially fill the exact same role Ruutu would have had.

Jets have much less top 6 talent than Carolina and can justify his salary based on the minutes they can give him.

That's my logic at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cane View Post
With Faulk, Tlusty and Pitkanen/UFA or trade replacement’s new contracts kicking in, in 2014-2015, getting Ruutu’s contract off the books wouldn’t be a bad idea. However, with his physicality on the forecheck as well as his willingness and ability to go to the tough areas to score goals, #15 brings a dimension that the team needs up front now and in the future. I don’t think GMJR would be desperate enough to move him to the point of eating a portion of his cap hit/salary. In general, Ruutu for a minimal value expiring contract(s) is stomachable, but retaining cap hit/salary is not. To be fair, I don’t think that there would be much league-wide interest in the deal that Carolina would need considering Tuomo’s recent hip surgeries. I would be surprised if he’s not skating in Carolina Red in October.
Do you think a different roster player with a non-expiring contract would be more palatable as a return then?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:54 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
For the sake of clarity Cormier will be an RFA at the end of this year, but may qualify for group 6 UFA if he doesn't get enough NHL games(55 more). Not 100% sure on that.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'm just thinking that with all the young top end talent Carolina has coming up there's not much room for Ruutu at all in the top 6 and at 4.75 mil per that's a lot for a bottom 6er. They could easily deal him and sign Morrow for cheaper and Morrow could essentially fill the exact same role Ruutu would have had.

Jets have much less top 6 talent than Carolina and can justify his salary based on the minutes they can give him.

That's my logic at least.

Do you think a different roster player with a non-expiring contract would be more palatable as a return then?
http://www.capgeek.com/jets/

Outside of Slater (not including Clitsome and Tangradi as they just re-signed), the Jets don't have another multi-year commitment with value < Tuomo or in which a Ruutu+ deal makes sense for Winnipeg. While Carolina could use a physical 4C who can kill penalties and win 50%+ of his faceoffs, it's not as big of a need as the one Ruutu fills with E. Staal, J. Staal, Lindholm, Nash and others down the middle for the Canes. While on the subject, I have to say GMKC has done a solid job in terms of cap management.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cane View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/jets/

Outside of Slater (not including Clitsome and Tangradi as they just re-signed), the Jets don't have another multi-year commitment with value < Tuomo or in which a Ruutu+ deal makes sense for Winnipeg. While Carolina could use a physical 4C who can kill penalties and win 50%+ of his faceoffs, it's not as big of a need as the one Ruutu fills with E. Staal, J. Staal, Lindholm, Nash and others down the middle for the Canes. While on the subject, I have to say GMKC has done a solid job in terms of cap management.
Makes sense. Ruutu's physicality and speed is exactly why this seemed a little too good to be true in terms of cost to the Jets.

Chevy's biggest test is in the next 3 weeks or so in what he gives our RFAs. Wheeler is one year from UFA while Little and Bogosian are two. They have a lot of leverage and if even two get the better of the negotiation we could be looking at only a couple million in cap space without even being a playoff team yet.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:26 AM
pegcity

The Jets would need someone to replace Stuart. And No we can't just sign an UFA.

pegcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:35 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'd have done this before we signed Komisarek, but we're not really in a position to add any more defensemen unless we're sending one out.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Dirty30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
The Jets would need someone to replace Stuart. And No we can't just sign an UFA.
Number 6 defencemen could be easily replaced by Postma, Redmond, Sol, Chariot, etc...No worries.

Dirty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
jeromeo87

I don't hate the deal. However, with the Canes talking to Hainsey, I don't think there is any room for Stuart, unless someone else is moved out.

Honestly though, I would rather try to put together some kind of package for big Buff. Is there anything that could be added to Ruutu and maybe Pitkanen to bring him to Carolina?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:45 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Talk to us at the deadline, we want to see how Trouba turns out before Buff becomes available.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote