HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI/Buffalo (Vanek)

Old
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
rileymac79

vCash: 778
Not a chance.

rileymac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
seabass45

vCash: 500
And yes, if the Isles trade a top prospect, it's more likely to be for someone who is under team control for at least two years. I would have loved to be in on the Loui Eriksson trade but the upside of Seguin probably beats anything that the Isles could offer (if they offered anything, of course).

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I want to make sure I understand this:

#1. Okposo is 25. Not exactly a young winger.
#2. The isles struggle to score goals....yet they wouldn't be interested in one of the best pure goal scorers in the NHL.

And for the record, 1st line winger rentals do indeed bring back bluechip prospects (Which the sabres aren't asking for, they are asking for, in this case, a top 6 winger and a 1st). And that's just at the deadline, not for a full year rental like Vanek would be.
you don't understand it

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:06 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:

#2. The isles struggle to score goals....yet they wouldn't be interested in one of the best pure goal scorers in the NHL.

And for the record, 1st line winger rentals do indeed bring back bluechip prospects (Which the sabres aren't asking for, they are asking for, in this case, a top 6 winger and a 1st). And that's just at the deadline, not for a full year rental like Vanek would be.
#1. 25 is old?.
#2. The Islanders were 7th in the league in goals per game. Scoring goals is not a problem they need or are willing to overpay for.

Please provide evidence of first line rentals' return being so high.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Lets look at your points 1 by 1....

1) When did 25 become old?
2) The Isles were 8th in the NHL in goalscoring last year. How do they struggle to score goals?
3) Who was the last true blue-chip prospect to be moved for a pending UFA? Maybe Silfverberg would fit that criteria, and he was traded for a player under contract for 2 years. Otherwise, name a consensus top-10 NHL prospect that has been traded in recent years.

The flip side...when was the last time a player like Vanek was moved..in terms of wingers...he is top 5 easily.

If they wait till the deadline many more teams could afford him and the bidding war would start. He is a difference maker type of player for a cup run.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The flip side...when was the last time a player like Vanek was moved..in terms of wingers...he is top 5 easily.

If they wait till the deadline many more teams could afford him and the bidding war would start. He is a difference maker type of player for a cup run.
He is, and that is likely what will happen.

Isles and Buffalo are simply not a good fit here. I'm not sure why the BUF fans here seem to want to keep trying to convince the NYI fans otherwise. I'm sure Garth is not opposed to upgrading at wing, but it's not going to be a 1-year rental for a core player or our top prospect.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
kasper11

Quote:

Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik, Nash

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Okposo is a cig smoker. He's probably the last guy I want on my team, especially at the expense of our best player.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
luki here

Quote:

seriously...some sabres fans have way too high expectations on returns for their trades. The pominville trade was a great trade for buffalo. NYI would never have paid that kings ransom.

We traded away nino niederreiter for cal clutterbuck and a third rounder, that's realism for you.

I personally think vanek would be a perfect fit in long island. Tavares and vanek would be a killer combination, especially on the pp. However i think this will never happen due to the salary structure created by snow.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Okposo is a cig smoker. He's probably the last guy I want on my team, especially at the expense of our best player.
source?

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Why do Buffalo fans keep pushing Miller and Vanek on us? We're not trading our top assets for rentals. Nino was the only one we'd trade and he's gone already. You won't get Strome for anyone on your roster, get over it.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
#1. 25 isn't young Only in the HF world is a guy old at 25. Vanek is a old geezer at 29 then.

#2. Isles scored the 8th most goals in the league last season. You think that is struggling?
7th most goals

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
A quality prospect (or two) and a 1st is exactly what Vanek will bring back, either this OS or at the deadline.
Maybe at the deadline, depending on how his season is going at that stage.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:

And for the record, 1st line winger? rentals do indeed bring back bluechip prospects (Which the sabres aren't asking for, they are asking for, in this case, a top 6 fwinger and a 1st). And that's just at the deadline, not for a full year rental like Vanek would be.
Someone needs to tell Snow that 25 yr olds, Grabner and Okposo, are ready to file their retirement papers.

A few nyi posters, have pointed out that the isles did not struggle to score goals.

Also, isles are not looking to acquire Vanek, so I doubt they are concerned with deadline rental prices.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Sabres fan here to apologize for the ridiculousness of some of our fan bases trade proposals.

Vanek will return a 1st round pick and probably a secondary asset or 2.... no elite prospects (Strome), or young core NHL player (Okposo).

I'm not going to tell Isles fans what they need...

But I think Vanek (% retained) for 1st and Ullstrom is a fair deal

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Not a Snow move at all. Not worth it for what it would cost the Isles.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik, Nash
Buffalo would have been smart to try trade Vanek before the UFA period, as it stands now Kovalchuck and Hossa are blueprints for how a trade will pan out for Buffalo(a first, a bottom 6 roster player and a couple decent(but not great) prospects)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:24 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Sabres fan here to apologize for the ridiculousness of some of our fan bases trade proposals.

Vanek will return a 1st round pick and probably a secondary asset or 2.... no elite prospects (Strome), or young core NHL player (Okposo).

But I think Vanek (% retained) for 1st and Ullstrom is a fair deal
Ullstrom is playing over in the KHL next season. The Isles do hold his rights in the event he comes back to NA, but he's not the one teams would want in the 2nd tier range. Sundstrom or Kabanov are definitely better options.

In any event, the Isles under Snow have no history after the Smyth trade when they've shipped off assets for a high end player like Vanek. The salary retention of one year has no meaning to the Isles because they are probably more concerned with the contract demands that Vanek would probably want in his next contract. For a team with a strict payroll, I don't see the financial fit with Vanek and the Isles.

The Isles have depth in their system and are probably going to continue to promote from within rather than going out and trading assets for players.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Thanks! I think most reasonable NYI fans agree that our goaltending is much more likely to hold us back than our goal scoring.

Snow seems to agree, but it seems that Nino's entry level contract (and its cap hit) really hindered us from acquiring Bernier or Schneider. There may well be reason to discuss a Miller rental if things go well with our skaters.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Djp

Explan to me why Snow moves Niederreiter for cluster$&@) and a 3rd.....

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
StrongIslanders90

thanks but no thanks from NYI....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Why do Buffalo fans keep pushing Miller and Vanek on us? We're not trading our top assets for rentals. Nino was the only one we'd trade and he's gone already. You won't get Strome for anyone on your roster, get over it.
I agree that the OP's asking price is too hefty
I agree that Vanek is a great fit on the Isle
I agree NYI's likely cant afford Vanek
I agree the NYIs dont "need" Vanek as much as a goaltender n maybe a dman however I also find the Islanders with Vanek capable of going deep into the playoffs and competing for the cup. The Isles without Vanek strike me as a 1st round and out type of team.
I agree Sabres fans in this thread have gotten a bit ridiculous
I strongly Disagree with the quote above that says theres no Sabres on their roster that could land Strome-thats homerism at its finest and rivals some of the Buffalo homerism in this thread.

I dont see a deal to be had here.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Explan to me why Snow moves Niederreiter for cluster$&@) and a 3rd.....
Snow tried moving Nino for Schneider. There are plenty of arguments among nyi fans about the Nino/CC trade.

CC was signed to a 4 yr/$11m extension.

Is Vanek signing an extension that fits into the isles tight budget?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
7th most goals
Splitting goals here, but it's the eight most...Pitt, Chi, Mon, Was, Tb, Tor and Ana all had more than us.

SaintTavares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Replace Okposo with Strome and we have a deal. Buffalo can eat 50% of Vaneks salary too.
Seriously? For 1 year of Vanek?