HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Which of Galchenyuk, Subban, or Price will have the best career?

Old
07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Which of Galchenyuk, Subban, or Price will have the best career?

This thread is pure speculation resulting from summer boredom, and I don't expect a single one of you to come to this thread in 25 years to see who was right and who was wrong.

Out of Galchenyuk, Subban, or Price, which do you expect to have the best career? To have the best shot at cracking the top-100 or even top-50 list of all time great NHL players one day?

I'm going to say Subban has the best odds. His progression since his draft has been incredible. I still remember watching the 2007 draft on TV, and he walked up to Habs management and said "you guys made the right choice drafting me" (they did). He then told the media that "PK" stands for "penalty killer". As soon as the following training camp or maybe the one after, he said that his goal was to be a top-6 defensemen that year in the NHL (!!!). He proceeded to have a +47 season in the OHL, a +46 season in the AHL, to come into the 2010 playoffs and help us forget about Markov all the way to the conference finals, to be our no. 2 dman in his rookie season (only a hair behind Hamrlik), our no. 1 dman in his sophmore season, and our Norris dman in his third season.

I think Subban is more likely to win additional Norris trophies than Price is to win Vezinas or Galchenyuk is to win Art Ross trophies, but we'll see. I hope they're all great, I have nothing against Price and Galchenyuk (!!!), but if I pick one, I pick Subban.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Callahan27

Its pretty hard to pick...after leading us to a 10 year cup streak, I think all of them deserve to have their careers looked upon favorably. And yes, I am a time traveler. Check this thread in 25 years

Callahan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:14 AM
All-Star

Considering Subban has already demonstrated hall-of-fame potential, and the other two still haven't, I'd say he's the safe bet...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:16 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

When I watch price...and he's at his best.....I see an incredible goaltender...truly capable of being one of the best in the business.

When I look at galchenyuk I see hands that are going to develop into highlight reel goals for years to come....a defensive effort that may rival toews and bergeron...and a will that is going to lead him to the promise land.

When I watch subban...i see bobby orr.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Considering Subban has already demonstrated hall-of-fame potential
Don't yell that outloud, other forums could hear us.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Hindsight would be excellent, so Callahan27 if you want to travel 25 years into the future and let me know if we're right, that would be great!

Nevertheless, it is incredibly hard to predict Galchenyuk's future. Will he suffer a career-ending injury...will he suffer so many injuries that his production falters and comes to an end. With Price and Subban, I feel like Subban will have the better career. He has that edge, that real passion and determination to better himself not only as a player, but as a person as well. Those kind of ideals are sometimes hard to find in hockey players (and sorry for the stereotype, but especially Russian-born players). I think it would be more likely with us winning a SC with Subban and with another goalie than I think with Price and a different #1 D. The intangibles that Subban has i think outweigh the intangibles that Price has. That's just my opinion though.

Meanwhile, do I think all 3 have a shot of cracking Top 100 all-time? Definitely, but it mostly depends on how many cups they bring home to Montreal and how many trophies they win along the way...

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

I hope all 3 have Hall worthy careers...my money's on Subban, if I gotta choose...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
When I watch price...and he's at his best.....I see an incredible goaltender...truly capable of being one of the best in the business.

When I look at galchenyuk I see hands that are going to develop into highlight reel goals for years to come....a defensive effort that may rival toews and bergeron...and a will that is going to lead him to the promise land.

When I watch subban...i see bobby orr.
It is hard to argue with the potential of these 3 but Bobby Orr is going way overboard. I don't think the younger crowd on here have a grasp on how great Orr was. I don't see Subban winning scoring titles by 21 points in a season (120) where he is the only player in the league to break 100 points. It really is the same as comparing Tavares to Gretzky or Lemieux.....not even close and that isn't taking anything away from Tavares.

Even Lidstrom with all of his Norris trophies isn't in the same league as Orr.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:29 AM
PricePkPatch

Any speculation are going to be very unfair to Galchenyuk, I say. He hasn't even come close to his potential.

Can we answer this question in 5 years?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Dharvey33

Not Price for sure i think he will finish in vancouver sooner or later maybe 3 years from now and will be a good but not elite goalie. He doesn't seem to have fire in eyes and don't seem to care when he gets scored on. Not a Price hater he has all the tools but lack the mental strenght to achieve greatness.
Now prove me wrong Price.

Other 2 hard to say Edge Subban right now

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
It is hard to argue with the potential of these 3 but Bobby Orr is going way overboard. I don't think the younger crowd on here have a grasp on how great Orr was. I don't see Subban winning scoring titles by 21 points in a season (120) where he is the only player in the league to break 100 points. It really is the same as comparing Tavares to Gretzky or Lemieux.....not even close and that isn't taking anything away from Tavares.

I think it's less about Orr being such a game breaker and more about standard players and game systems being so superior than at the time.

Today, it would be easier to neutralize an Orr-like player than it was at the time.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:33 AM
sharks9

In order my guess would be:

Galchenyuk
Subban
Price

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I think it's less about Orr being such a game breaker and more about standard players and game systems being so superior than at the time.

Today, it would be easier to neutralize an Orr-like player than it was at the time.
There is an element of truth to that although that logic is far more applicable to Doug Harvey who wasn't big or fast but shattered the traditional mold of a d-man.

Orr was the complete package as his skating was off the charts and he was also very cerebral which by P.K.'s own admission, probably isn't his strong point....fortunately his instincts are very good. Let's not forget that Orr, despite not being a large man was a vicious fighter when he was provoked. Orr simply dominated the game in every aspect and was the hands down consensus as the best player in the game, not just best d-man.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
In order my guess would be:

Galchenyuk
Subban
Price
As of today I don't see any logic that wouldn't place P.K. as first on this list......he has already won a Norris. Galchenyuk is still an infant and Price has been wildly inconsistent

Old
07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
pcamp

I see Galchenyuk having the better career since he has the best mix of work ethic and maturity between the three of them. They will all have great careers though(maybe Price less, i love him but he has to get his **** together)

pcamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
There is an element of truth to that although that logic is far more applicable to Doug Harvey who wasn't big or fast but shattered the traditional mold of a d-man.

Orr was the complete package as his skating was off the charts and he was also very cerebral which by P.K.'s own admission, probably isn't his strong point....fortunately his instincts are very good. Let's not forget that Orr, despite not being a large man was a vicious fighter when he was provoked. Orr simply dominated the game in every aspect and was the hands down consensus as the best player in the game, not just best d-man.
I am not saying Orr wasn't a gamebreaker in his own right. I am just saying a big part of his utter dominance in his time is because the game hadn't evolved to a point where we knew how to deal with them with systematic tactics.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:55 AM
NotProkofievian

As of right now, I have to go with Subban. He's the only one with hardware currently, and I think there's more hardware in his future, especially if we win the cup in the next 10 years.

I am however very interested to see how Price responds to Waite next season, and how Galchenyuk progresses.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:58 AM
sharks9

Quote:
As of today I don't see any logic that wouldn't place P.K. as first on this list......he has already won a Norris. Galchenyuk is still an infant and Price has been wildly inconsistent
I just think Galchenyuk has the highest potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban have the better career though.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:04 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

PK has quite the head start, but still think Price will end up with more impactfull career. Probably just wishful thinking by major "price fanboy" ;D

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Dagistitsyn

Subban for sure. I can see Galchenyuk becoming a good first line center, but I feel like Subban will be an elite player for a long time. Price is so overrated it's just annoying.

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Subban for me

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Darz

Quote:

With the way hockey players train and are coached today the difference between the top NHL players the average NHL players and the bottom tier NHL players has lessen to the point that you will never see another player dominate in the way an Orr or a Gretzky did.

So with that you will never be able to compare any player to Orr, so....

07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I am not saying Orr wasn't a gamebreaker in his own right. I am just saying a big part of his utter dominance in his time is because the game hadn't evolved to a point where we knew how to deal with them with systematic tactics.
Karlsson certainly enjoyed a lot of success as did Mike Green when he was allowed to play without a care for defence. Neither one of these guys could hold Orr's jock strap.

Larry Robinson was given a ton of freedom but never came close to Orr's dominance.

Like I said, I do agree with you that teams weren't as prepared for Orr as they would be today but the end result IMO would be diminished but similar to his previous production. Let's also not forget how many times Orr had to go up against Scotty Bowman and the Habs who iced some of the greatest teams ever to play the game. Bowman is the greatest innovator ever to be involved with the game and he surely had a plan for Orr.

The players that would be greatly affected by the changes in the game are the ones who were poor skaters such as forwards like Maruk, Stoughton and even Ciccarelli.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
PK has quite the head start, but still think Price will end up with more impactfull career. Probably just wishful thinking by major "price fanboy" ;D
Don't talk like that. Want it or not, a "good" goalie is going to have a bigger impact than a "great" defenseman. He's a nevralgic point for any team.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
PricePkPatch

My personal hope is to see PK's 76 being retired when he will leave the game. I hope he will be remembered in our team's history as one of the Great Habs.