HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Favorite defunct club

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Favorite defunct club

What is your favorite former NHL team? Moved, folded, merged whatever. If there is a team that is no more, it qualifies. What is your favorite?

I liked the California Golden Seals which later became the Cleveland Barons and merged with the Minnesota North Stars then emerged from the North Stars to become the San Jose Sharks.

The Colorado Rockies (formerly Kansas City Scouts and now New Jersey Devils) had cool uniforms

The Hartford Whalers had an ingenious logo.

The Seals are definitely my fave. Love the green, gold and white color scheme and I love an underdog.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 06-16-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
acr*

The Whalers had the best uniforms, so you gotta love them. I also liked the whole Big brothers/little brother rivalries they had with Boston and the Rangers.

Old
06-16-2005, 04:09 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
What is your favorite former NHL team? Moved, folded, merged whatever. If there is a team that is no more, it qualifies. What is your favorite?

I liked the California Golden Seals which later became the Cleveland Barons and merged with the Minnesota North Stars then emerged from the North Stars to become the San Jose Sharks.

The Colorado Rockies (formerly Kansas City Scouts and now New Jersey Devils) had cool uniforms

The Hartford Whalers had an ingenious logo.

The Seals are definitely my fave.
The Whalers or the Jets for me

Old
06-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

jets - just because in the early 90s the Canucks had some pretty good series with them, where they (the canucks) came out on top. Plus the odd Winnipeg Arena having the painting of the queen is something I will never forget.

Nordiques - some great games against the Canadiens. 1993 playoffs - the high stick in overtime where demers was rushing his team off the ice hoping that the goal would still count any they couldn't do anything if the Canadiens just all left the ice. Plus the brawls the two teams had were great.

Hartford - just because of the logo really.

Old
06-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I like the Nordiques because of all the good stories my dad told me as a kid. All the brawls with Montreal.

Old
06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
canucksfan

Jets and Nordiques

Old
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Hawker14

1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Quebec Nordiques
3) Hartford Whalers

Old
06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Malefic74

Why the NHL only limit? The WHA had great teams; the Birmingham Bulls, Cincinatti Stingers, Minnesota Fighting Saints, Indianapolis Racers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Mariners.... not to mention the Oilers, Jets and Whalers.

I think the Bulls are my fave though, or at least they seem to have more interesting stories about them. These guys were crazy; in 77-78 they racked up 2177 penalty minutes in 80 games. (By comparison the most the Broad Street Bullies managed was 1980) They had Linseman, Napier, Big M and Paul Henderson for scorers, and 4 guys with over 240 PIMS! Dave Hanson had 241 in 42 games, Frank "Seldom" Beaton had 279 in 56 games, Steve Durbano had 284 in 45 games and Gilles "Bad News" Bilodeau had 258 in 59 games. (Last season it took Sean Avery more than 70 games to rack up 261!)

They were the Charlestown Chiefs come to life... Hell, Dave Hanson went on to portray Jack Hanson in that movie. Not much of a stretch I guess...

Old
06-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Why the NHL only limit? The WHA had great teams; the Birmingham Bulls, Cincinatti Stingers, Minnesota Fighting Saints, Indianapolis Racers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Mariners.... not to mention the Oilers, Jets and Whalers.

I think the Bulls are my fave though, or at least they seem to have more interesting stories about them. These guys were crazy; in 77-78 they racked up 2177 penalty minutes in 80 games. (By comaprison the most the Broad Street Bullies managed was 1980) They had Linseman, Napier, Big M and Paul Henderson for scorers, and 4 guys with over 241 PIMS! Dave Hanson had 241 in 42 games, Frank "Seldom" Beaton had 279 in 56 games, Steve Durbano had 284 in 45 games and Gilles "Bad News" Bilodeau had 258 in 59 games.

They were the Charlestown Chiefs come to life... Hell, Dave Hanson went on to portray Jack Hanson in that movie. Not much of a stretch I guess...
Yes, I apologize. The old WHA had some great teams, uniforms and logos.

I like the Racers because that is where Gretzky began his pro career. The San Diego Mariners had a cool logo.

But, the best logo - and Mark Messier's first pro team - was the Cincinnati Stingers.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Quebec Nordiques
3) Hartford Whalers

What is the deal on your avatar? I don't remember the Jets logo looking like that.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
What is the deal on your avatar? I don't remember the Jets logo looking like that.
a possible logo for the team when the jets return to winnipeg.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
It's his version of what the new one will look like when they come back.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Yes, I apologize. The old WHA had some great teams, uniforms and logos.

I like the Racers because that is where Gretzky began his pro career. The San Diego Mariners had a cool logo.

But, the best logo - and Mark Messier's first pro team - was the Cincinnati Stingers.
And the worst would be the 74-75 vintage Calgary Cowboys logo. What a joke.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/l...a/calcow75.gif

Looks like a 4 year old drew it.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

The Miami Screaming Eagles. Signed Bernie Parent, as I recall...and then folded before they ever played a game.

One of many nomadic and erstwhile WHA franchises.

Ogopogo - my memories of the Seals: They had an absolutely anonymous fringe winger named Morris Mott in the early 70s. For some off-beat reason, a band of fans in the Rangers cheapseats (the blueseats; they were cheap then, I suppose) took to fashioning the Morris Mott Fanclub. Had banners, the works made up for the one time each season that he and his Seals came to town. That lasted about 2-3 seasons, the length of his career.

Other memory: Seals had a goalie named Bob Champeaux (pronounced "shampoo"). Guess funny names linger in a youngster's mind.

Old
06-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Colorado Rockies: team I watched as a young child. Gave the sportsworld Rock and Roll part2, Hardy Astrom, and traded top 5 picks for nothing

Hartford Whalers: I had to get a new favorite and Kevin Dineen was my favorite player (and former DU Pioneer).

Montreal Maroons: Hard to believe a team that won the cup folded.

Old
06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quebec Nordiques

I don't know why, even. I'm just attached to the logo.

Old
06-16-2005, 07:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
The Miami Screaming Eagles. Signed Bernie Parent, as I recall...and then folded before they ever played a game.

One of many nomadic and erstwhile WHA franchises.

Ogopogo - my memories of the Seals: They had an absolutely anonymous fringe winger named Morris Mott in the early 70s. For some off-beat reason, a band of fans in the Rangers cheapseats (the blueseats; they were cheap then, I suppose) took to fashioning the Morris Mott Fanclub. Had banners, the works made up for the one time each season that he and his Seals came to town. That lasted about 2-3 seasons, the length of his career.

Other memory: Seals had a goalie named Bob Champeaux (pronounced "shampoo"). Guess funny names linger in a youngster's mind.
The Miami Screaming Eagles became the Philadelphia Blazers (then the Vancouver Blazers and then the Calgary Cowboys), mainly due to arena difficulties and lack of funds. D'oh! They (the Screaming Eagles) officially existed from Nov. 1, 1971 to Apr 28, 1972.

Also, the WHA had a team in Dayton that never played; they moved to Houston and became the Aeros. The Quebec Nordiques began as the San Francisco SeaHawks for a brief period, about 3 1/2 months, when the WHA officially awarded franchises. A fourth original WHA city, Calgary, had financial woes, too, and were replaced by Cleveland -- the Crusaders.

My favorite logo was probably the Minnesota Fighting Saints in their first go-around. Here is a link:

http://www.geocities.com/braniff73/saints.html

As far as the NHL: the Seals' franchise was colorful so they are my pick.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-19-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old
06-16-2005, 09:06 PM
MB1

Has to be the Golden Seals. How could you hate a team with a uniform that rivaled the Canucks' vomit yellow "V" for the all-time ugliest sports uniform?

Old
06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1
Has to be the Golden Seals. How could you hate a team with a uniform that rivaled the Canucks' vomit yellow "V" for the all-time ugliest sports uniform?
?????

Have you seen Nashville's alternate?

Old
06-17-2005, 11:23 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
Plus the odd Winnipeg Arena having the painting of the queen is something I will never forget.
Bobby Hull once told a story about how he brought Brett to practice in the Arena when he was about 8-9 years old, and how he could hit the queen with a slapshot more often than most players on the team

Old
06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Cleveland Barons had the best jerseys ever

Old
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1
How about the white skates???????? Classic!!! Charlie Finley was a marketing genious!! The dad of a kid on my peewee team worked for them and I got a pair of the white skates after they stopped using them and the shell of Al McAdam's pants from the powder blue Sparky the Seal days. I tried to wear the pants in juniors but my coach wasn't too hip on that idea.

Old
06-17-2005, 12:22 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Easily the Whalers.

Old
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
gary69

For me, Quebec Nordiques too, I would trade all the latest 3 expansion teams for just to have them back.

Old
06-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
Bobby Hull once told a story about how he brought Brett to practice in the Arena when he was about 8-9 years old, and how he could hit the queen with a slapshot more often than most players on the team
I don't believe that actually, the reason being that Brett grew up in the same neighborhood as quite a few family members, and they all remember him being a little tubby to say the least when he was around that age. I guess the area would be around the north shore in the greater vancouver area.

Actually before they moved from Toronto they were in the same neighborhood as some greats like Kennedy. I am so envious of them for that fact alone.

Closed Thread