Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Looking to move to Alberta

Old
07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Savoie16

vCash: 50
Looking to move to Alberta

Hi guys im just making this thread to get some insight of what everything is like in Alberta. I am not having any luck finding work here in New-Brunswick for my course and im looking to move to Alberta but im just wondering how much everything is.

Like how much is a cheap apartment, where would be a good place to look for work in Alberta, how much is it to live down there ( i.e. how expensive is food difference) any information you guys could give me would be fantastic thanks in advance

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie16 View Post
Hi guys im just making this thread to get some insight of what everything is like in Alberta. I am not having any luck finding work here in New-Brunswick for my course and im looking to move to Alberta but im just wondering how much everything is.

Like how much is a cheap apartment, where would be a good place to look for work in Alberta, how much is it to live down there ( i.e. how expensive is food difference) any information you guys could give me would be fantastic thanks in advance
Everything is expensive as hell in Calgary, especially housing. However, depending on your field of work, you can make a salary that offsets that.

I wouldn't recommend moving to Calgary unless its to pursue a career.

Not sure about Edmonton/other towns.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Everything is expensive as hell in Calgary, especially housing. However, depending on your field of work, you can make a salary that offsets that.

I wouldn't recommend moving to Calgary unless its to pursue a career.

Not sure about Edmonton/other towns.
Currently i have bloc 1 instrumentation and bloc 1 electrical and i know that Calgary is an expensive place i was wondering if maybe a place like Red Deer or something like that would be any cheaper?

Old
07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Currently i have bloc 1 instrumentation and bloc 1 electrical and i know that Calgary is an expensive place i was wondering if maybe a place like Red Deer or something like that would be any cheaper?
Not familiar with these but I imagine they are trade certifications? Trades people in Calgary tend to do really well, lots of business for it here. I think you could even say we have a "shortage" of certain tradesmen.

Yes though, Red Deer would be considerably cheaper as will most smaller towns with the exception of Fort Mcmurray.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Not familiar with these but I imagine they are trade certifications? Trades people in Calgary tend to do really well, lots of business for it here. I think you could even say we have a "shortage" of certain tradesmen.

Yes though, Red Deer would be considerably cheaper as will most smaller towns with the exception of Fort Mcmurray.
yeah they are both trade the first one is Instrumentation Technician and the other is Electrician

Old
07-16-2013, 11:17 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Places like Airdre are becoming popular for people who are starting work in Calgary.
As stated above Calgary's a bit tough to live in without something lined up.

Edmonton is just ugly and depressing in my (very limited) experience

Hope you find something!

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:39 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Edmonton and Calgary have equal job opportunities and both can be expensive to live in. The common theme in Alberta is that Calgary is a white collar city whereas Edmonton is blue collar. I would say Edmonton is a little cheaper in housing costs. Calgary has better public transit.

Other places to consider would be Grande Prairie, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Red Deer, or maybe Wainwright or Whitecourt.

Stay away from Ft. Mac. The housing costs are unreal.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Edmonton and Calgary have equal job opportunities and both can be expensive to live in. The common theme in Alberta is that Calgary is a white collar city whereas Edmonton is blue collar. I would say Edmonton is a little cheaper in housing costs. Calgary has better public transit.

Other places to consider would be Grande Prairie, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Red Deer, or maybe Wainwright or Whitecourt.

Stay away from Ft. Mac. The housing costs are unreal.
right now im looking for maybe even fly in fly out if i could but its to find a damn job when your an apprentice which is a ***** and every job i look at is must be a red seal must have 5-10 years experience im getting very frustrated

Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
TychoFan

vCash: 216
I wish you the best, just make sure you don't start cheering for the Oilers or something. xD

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
right now im looking for maybe even fly in fly out if i could but its to find a damn job when your an apprentice which is a ***** and every job i look at is must be a red seal must have 5-10 years experience im getting very frustrated
I doubt you'll find a company that will fly you in and out.

But you won't have that issue here. I would say most employers are looking for a 3rd year electrician because they're just as knowledgeable as a 4th year or Journeyman, but they're not as expensive.

A few years in Alberta, I bet you can be a Red Seal in both Instrumentation and in Electrician. There's plenty of work.

First I would check out Alberta trade secrets to see if your credentials are transferable. Actually, call Alberta Industry Training and hear it first hand. And then I would check out job banks to see if there's any opportunities. If you need public transport, you should stay within the city. If you can drive, don't be afraid of places like Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, etc. in the Calgary area or Leduc (Nisku), Sherwood park, Spruce grove (Acheson), etc. in the Edmonton Area.

If there's opportunities, then check out the housing market. Kijiji is a good place to start.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Starter homes are around 350ish, 250ish if you want a townhouse in the burbs or a condo near DT.

A decent house runs in the 500's

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Starter homes are around 350ish, 250ish if you want a townhouse in the burbs or a condo near DT.

A decent house runs in the 500's
I don't think he's looking to buy a house. He's having issues finding work and is working towards his apprenticeship

Old
07-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoFan View Post
I wish you the best, just make sure you don't start cheering for the Oilers or something. xD
i would never cheer for Edmonton so dont you worry about that

Old
07-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
I doubt you'll find a company that will fly you in and out.

But you won't have that issue here. I would say most employers are looking for a 3rd year electrician because they're just as knowledgeable as a 4th year or Journeyman, but they're not as expensive.

A few years in Alberta, I bet you can be a Red Seal in both Instrumentation and in Electrician. There's plenty of work.

First I would check out Alberta trade secrets to see if your credentials are transferable. Actually, call Alberta Industry Training and hear it first hand. And then I would check out job banks to see if there's any opportunities. If you need public transport, you should stay within the city. If you can drive, don't be afraid of places like Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, etc. in the Calgary area or Leduc (Nisku), Sherwood park, Spruce grove (Acheson), etc. in the Edmonton Area.

If there's opportunities, then check out the housing market. Kijiji is a good place to start.
yeah its going to be a long process to try and find out how things will workout i need to be able to basicly have a job before i go down their then it will be look for an apartment so on so on its going to be a ***** of a process

Old
07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Savoie16

anyone know how much i should be looking for per hour to be able to survive in Alberta? because here in New-Brunswick survival can be made at 15$ an hour no problem

Old
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
anyone know how much i should be looking for per hour to be able to survive in Alberta? because here in New-Brunswick survival can be made at 15$ an hour no problem
Single or family? Are you willing to live in a low income neighborhood? Will you be dependent on public transportation?

Old
07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Totally depends on your situation. If you are single and just need a pad then you would probably be fine on $15 but it wouldn't be much fun. You just won't be able to live in the nicest areas.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Single or family? Are you willing to live in a low income neighborhood? Will you be dependent on public transportation?
single, i have my own car but could manage with public transportation also and low income is fine

Old
07-16-2013, 12:34 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
single, i have my own car but could manage with public transportation also and low income is fine
17 bucks an hour at least, for most people anyways. Mind you, I know people who have put themselves through college on less.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
17 bucks an hour at least, for most people anyways. Mind you, I know people who have put themselves through college on less.
thanks alot for the extra info my friend ill definetly be looking a bit harder now that i know i can survive with 17$ an hour. our teachers told us nothing under 28$/hour and i find that to be alot for no experience

Old
07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Savoie16

anyone have any information on Edson Area, Alberta?

Old
07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

vCash: 500
Honestly, if you want to work in Calgary, just move to Airdrie...

Working in a trade in Calgary tons of the work is in Airdrie anyways. No matter what, working a trade, you will be driving around the city depending where the work is, so just move to Airdire where the cost of living is a little less. It's only 10 mins out of Calgary.

Not to mention if you're looking to finish your apprenticeship, living in Airdire will put you pretty close to SAIT (where that kind of schooling is done).

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
Honestly, if you want to work in Calgary, just move to Airdrie...

Working in a trade in Calgary tons of the work is in Airdrie anyways. No matter what, working a trade, you will be driving around the city depending where the work is, so just move to Airdire where the cost of living is a little less. It's only 10 mins out of Calgary.

Not to mention if you're looking to finish your apprenticeship, living in Airdire will put you pretty close to SAIT (where that kind of schooling is done).
alright thanks for the tips i really appreciate the help

Old
07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
thanks alot for the extra info my friend ill definetly be looking a bit harder now that i know i can survive with 17$ an hour. our teachers told us nothing under 28$/hour and i find that to be alot for no experience
$28 bucks an hour?! Maybe if you live a lavish life eating organic turkeys in true religion jeans.

I think you should make about 20 bucks an hour trying to continue your trade.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:55 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
$28 bucks an hour?! Maybe if you live a lavish life eating organic turkeys in true religion jeans.

I think you should make about 20 bucks an hour trying to continue your trade.
Isn't that how everyone lives here?

MarkGio is probably on the money, most of my friends coming out of trade school made around $20 an hour, some of them not full time though, or on contract/as needed basis.