Looking to move to Alberta

Old
07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Savoie16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Isn't that how everyone lives here?

MarkGio is probably on the money, most of my friends coming out of trade school made around $20 an hour, some of them not full time though, or on contract/as needed basis.
thats what im looking at right now ~22$/hour range but it looks like im going to need to take some courses (Fall Protection, 1st Aid, H2S, TDG and WHMIS) i already have WHMIS but need the others

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie16 View Post
thats what im looking at right now ~22$/hour range but it looks like im going to need to take some courses (Fall Protection, 1st Aid, H2S, TDG and WHMIS) i already have WHMIS but need the others
I think thats pretty realistic.

Do you know where you will be taking those courses? SAIT Polytechnic seems like the obvious location to me as a Calgarian.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
I think thats pretty realistic.

Do you know where you will be taking those courses? SAIT Polytechnic seems like the obvious location to me as a Calgarian.
ill be taking them here in New-Brunswick since they are pretty much required for any job and ill be applying for jobs from my home and if i get a job figure things out then but i want to get as much info as i can right now so i dont fall victim to going in over my head

Old
07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
That shouldn't be an issue. You might want to consider aerial work platform, forklift, and overhead crane, depending where you're looking.

Try indeed, wowjobs, kijiji, and the canadian job bank to feel the market out first.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
ill be taking them here in New-Brunswick since they are pretty much required for any job and ill be applying for jobs from my home and if i get a job figure things out then but i want to get as much info as i can right now so i dont fall victim to going in over my head
I would feel the market out before taking any courses. Any respectable employer should provide WHMIS and TDG, as they're (suppose to be) employer-specific courses.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Isn't that how everyone lives here?

MarkGio is probably on the money, most of my friends coming out of trade school made around $20 an hour, some of them not full time though, or on contract/as needed basis.
You'd be surprised how silly people can be. Often its not how much you make, its how much you spend. I have a friend who makes 100K/year and doesn't have a single investment other than his mortgage with his wife, who also makes about 100K/year. Vacations to foreign countries, eating out, contracting out home renovations, brand new vehicles, designer clothes, designer furniture, etc. all add up significantly.

Meanwhile, I knew somebody who was saving up a down payment during their undergrad because they lived off bean wraps and salads living with some roommates in the rougher areas of town.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would feel the market out before taking any courses. Any respectable employer should provide WHMIS and TDG, as they're (suppose to be) employer-specific courses.
im going to get first aid for sure though every job seems to ask for that one

Old
07-16-2013, 02:48 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
im going to get first aid for sure though every job seems to ask for that one
First aid is one of the few provincially regulated and approved workplace training courses in Alberta. I would recommend taking it at a national institute, such as St. John's or Red Cross. Don't take it at "Joe's First Response" because it might not be recognized here.

Personally, I would just lie on my resume about a two-day course you can take at any time, even after you get the interview

Old
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
First aid is one of the few provincially regulated and approved workplace training courses in Alberta. I would recommend taking it at a national institute, such as St. John's or Red Cross. Don't take it at "Joe's First Response" because it might not be recognized here.

Personally, I would just lie on my resume about a two-day course you can take at any time, even after you get the interview
right now im asking my teacher where i could get theses courses done at that they will be valid anywhere

Old
07-16-2013, 02:54 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Edmonton and Calgary have equal job opportunities and both can be expensive to live in. The common theme in Alberta is that Calgary is a white collar city whereas Edmonton is blue collar. I would say Edmonton is a little cheaper in housing costs. Calgary has better public transit.

Other places to consider would be Grande Prairie, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Red Deer, or maybe Wainwright or Whitecourt.

Stay away from Ft. Mac. The housing costs are unreal.

Two great places to find work ,but at the same time are two places that are awful to live in.

Both communities are full of arrogant and ignorant people.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 07-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.
oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
oilersfan11

Communities to check out if you're going to work in Red Deer or Grande Prairie:

Lacombe
Blackfalds
Innisfail
Penhold
Wembley
Clairmont
Sexsmith

Old
07-16-2013, 03:52 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Just go work on the rigs. I know you are looking at trades, but a buddy of mine does wellsite geology, he makes 100K+ a year and just bought his first house, plans to have it paid off in 5 years. Drives an M3.

Of course you wont have friends or family, but easy to live debt free after a few years as long as you stay out of the drugs.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
MarkGio

I would recommend Edmonton given your trade. Between Nisku, Acheson and Ft. Sask, the Edmonton greater area has a lot of industrial work and is considered a closer hub for Ft. Mac and GP.

Although I hear there's a big project between Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. A huge transmission line or something. That might be something to look into.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
BVicious

Look for jobs with: Amec, Kiewit Energy, PCL, Ledcor, CBI, etc. construction companies thr are building OilSands Plants. I have been working on Kearl for 4 years and should have job security on this project till the end of 2018.

Your best bet getting started here is a job up north (Fort Mac) that flies you to and from Calgary.

Lets face it guys, I've lived in a lot of places, even in Alberta, and Calgary is easily the best city to live in when comparing quality of life and career opportunity.

Although it is expensive, usually yor salary offsets that. An when to do shift work up north you basically bank all the money you make. Most are dry camp jobs, so no booze but its ok. You spend zero dollars for 2-3 weeks at a time. Great way to build a foundation in Calgary, move up your corporate ladder, and eventually get a cozy job in an office.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
Places like Airdre are becoming popular for people who are starting work in Calgary.
As stated above Calgary's a bit tough to live in without something lined up.

Edmonton is just ugly and depressing in my (very limited) experience

Hope you find something!
i can verify this... i lived there for 11years and have to say terrible... but its a good place to start off in alberta... i still would never live there again

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Look for jobs with: Amec, Kiewit Energy, PCL, Ledcor, CBI, etc. construction companies thr are building OilSands Plants. I have been working on Kearl for 4 years and should have job security on this project till the end of 2018.

Your best bet getting started here is a job up north (Fort Mac) that flies you to and from Calgary.

Lets face it guys, I've lived in a lot of places, even in Alberta, and Calgary is easily the best city to live in when comparing quality of life and career opportunity.

Although it is expensive, usually yor salary offsets that. An when to do shift work up north you basically bank all the money you make. Most are dry camp jobs, so no booze but its ok. You spend zero dollars for 2-3 weeks at a time. Great way to build a foundation in Calgary, move up your corporate ladder, and eventually get a cozy job in an office.

My 2 cents. Good luck.
not an issue i worked 2 jobs and went to college one of those jobs being Airport Security so i never had a chance to drink so i rarely drink

Old
07-16-2013, 05:36 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Just go work on the rigs. I know you are looking at trades, but a buddy of mine does wellsite geology, he makes 100K+ a year and just bought his first house, plans to have it paid off in 5 years. Drives an M3.

Of course you wont have friends or family, but easy to live debt free after a few years as long as you stay out of the drugs.
Good opportunity but depending on where you go up there the drugs are rampant.

I have had some friends go and quit after a few weeks because of the environment. I have had other friends go and come back with serious drug issues after working in the camps for 6 months to a year. As well as other friends who made a ton of cash and had a good experience. Just be careful if you choose this route.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:40 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
I live in Lloydminster and I don't reccomend it lol. Money flows like a ****in river here but good luck finding a place to live, let alone an affordable one. But, I guess if your looking for fast cash and don't mind living in a stinky place that's full of rig pigs, Lloyd's your spot.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I live in Lloydminster and I don't reccomend it lol. Money flows like a ****in river here but good luck finding a place to live, let alone an affordable one. But, I guess if your looking for fast cash and don't mind living in a stinky place that's full of rig pigs, Lloyd's your spot.

So that's why Statistics Canada reports Lloydminster, as being one of the worst areas to live in,in terms of Crime.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 07-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old
07-16-2013, 08:30 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Calgary is a fantastic place to live (regret moving a few years back), and there are fly in/fly out jobs to northern alberta (although harder to find, especially straight from calgary). I work up between Lac la Biche and Fort Mac and we get chartered buses to take us to and from site from Nisku (industrial park 10 min south of Edmonton), so your best bet is to drive up to Nisku and go from there.

The job i'm at currently is about to finish up, but the opportunities and the amount of work available is endless. As a second year Electrician making 38 bucks an hour isn't bad by any means. And if you're serious and want to pursue work up north, fire me a PM I can send you a list of very reputable and great electrical companies (and instrumentation)

Quote:
And for courses, alot of companies will put you through them, but if you want take them before you go on your job search and have the government pay them for you.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Calgary is a fantastic place to live (regret moving a few years back), and there are fly in/fly out jobs to northern alberta (although harder to find, especially straight from calgary). I work up between Lac la Biche and Fort Mac and we get chartered buses to take us to and from site from Nisku (industrial park 10 min south of Edmonton), so your best bet is to drive up to Nisku and go from there.

The job i'm at currently is about to finish up, but the opportunities and the amount of work available is endless. As a second year Electrician making 38 bucks an hour isn't bad by any means. And if you're serious and want to pursue work up north, fire me a PM I can send you a list of very reputable and great electrical companies (and instrumentation)

And for courses, alot of companies will put you through them, but if you want take them before you go on your job search and have the government pay them for you.
between everything you guys have been telling me on this board and what my buddy who moved to alberta has told me it may be more realistic then what i thought most of my fears have been resolved from the information you guys have given me

Old
07-16-2013, 08:51 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post

Got to ask Nogger, is there a shortage of electricians? In a particular industry, or is the same old issue that outfits can't get guys to commit to the patch lifestyle and isolation?

$38 for a second year is far more than what I expected, so I'm curious if I'm out of touch with the market or what?

Old
07-16-2013, 08:59 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Panorama has condos starting at 175.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:01 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Panorama has condos starting at 175.
???

Do you get commission for this?

Old
07-16-2013, 09:06 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I read you have your instrumentation and electrical. I am planning on going to school for the instrumentation in the fall.
A company you should look up is Pyramid Corporation. More specifically their Lloydminster location as they are currently looking for employees. It's on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border and is a nice small city. I live about a half hour from there. I have heard they pay very well.
Here is their job posting.
http://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=75...de4e&from=serp
Hope this helps you if you're interested

EDIT: I seen another post that Lloyd is a terrible place. He lives there and would know more than I but based on what I have seen and heard from others it is not a bad place at all.

Also other companies you should look into is Tarpon Energy, Guest Controls, Cenovus Energy, maybe even Husky. They are big around where I live and are always looking for Instrument Technicians and Electricians

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote