HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Breakout year for Zubrus?

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 05:06 AM
Lidstrom

vCash: 500
Breakout year for Zubrus?

How many people think so?
I was ready to take him last year, but the holdout stopped me since barely anyone has a good year after a holdout.

This year could be his year though, he has played well in the preseason. Will he play with Jagr? Is Jagr happy about that? I hear Jagr likes playing with Lang and Miller.

If he doesn't play with Jagr, will he play with Nylander and Bondra on the left?

What is his ceiling this year? And what are the reasonable numbers?

I'm guessing, the ceiling is 70, with high 50's or low 60's being reasonable.

Old
09-27-2003, 05:12 AM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidstrom
How many people think so?
I was ready to take him last year, but the holdout stopped me since barely anyone has a good year after a holdout.

This year could be his year though, he has played well in the preseason. Will he play with Jagr? Is Jagr happy about that? I hear Jagr likes playing with Lang and Miller.

If he doesn't play with Jagr, will he play with Nylander and Bondra on the left?

What is his ceiling this year? And what are the reasonable numbers?

I'm guessing, the ceiling is 70, with high 50's or low 60's being reasonable.
He's one of the few ex-habs that I still like. This guy will put it together this year I think. In fact, He never played like he could, but he was still a good player who keep getting better and better the last few seasons. He has what it takes to become the solid 2-way forward Washington needs.

Old
09-27-2003, 05:17 AM
Evilo

We've been waiting for his beakout year for so many years...
I sincerely hope he can finally put it all together...
He's got all the tools.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:42 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
The Caps are praying that he breaks out. Maybe he'll be like Jokinen and finally do it. I hope so.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Zubrus has enormous potential--he's huge, extremely fast, agile, amazing passer and stickhandler. The only thing that's been holding him back is a lost scoring instinct. He seems to have found it. While he won't do it just yet, Zubrus has 70-80 point potential. I see him getting 50-60 this year, which would still be a huge breakout for him.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Mizral

Zubrus will start slow.. get traded.. and then break out!

Old
09-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Looger

zubrus, huselius, hrdina - all look occasionally brilliant and go on runs once in a while but never quite 'break out'

worth the risk in a pool in my opinion however, if the price is low. jokinen, st. louis, kozlov all broke out last year, why not those guys?

Old
09-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Patty Roy

Isn't every year supposed to be Zubrus' breakout year?

The kid has all the tools to be a good one, i just don't think its going to happen...

Old
09-27-2003, 08:49 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

If getting much ice time on a line centered by Jaromir Jagr doesn't help Zubrus having what we call a breakout year, I don't think anything could. Perhaps people are expecting a little too much about him, and maybe 15 goals, 25 assists really is his offensive ceiling.

With that being said, he has all the tools to be more than a 40pt guy. Let's see if he can put all these tools together to make something happen, though. He had plenty of time, but you never know, as some big guys take much longer progressing.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
Isn't every year supposed to be Zubrus' breakout year?

The kid has all the tools to be a good one, i just don't think its going to happen...

maybe so......but there are some good points brought up in the below article.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2003Sep26.html

This is just the second time in Zubrus's career that he has played for the same coach to start consecutive seasons

Coming into the league at such a young age you would think stability would be an important factor in his development.....so one would HAVE to think that the fact he has played for 7 coaches in his 7 seasons had not helped at all

Old
09-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
His breakout year has been on hold for some time now.....now that THN, etc are finally giving up on him, I say he may finally break out....

Old
09-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
I predict about 55-60 points if he stays healthy this season.

Even if he never reaches his full offensive potential, he can still be a valuable asset to any team in so many ways.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looger
zubrus, huselius, hrdina - all look occasionally brilliant and go on runs once in a while but never quite 'break out'

worth the risk in a pool in my opinion however, if the price is low. jokinen, st. louis, kozlov all broke out last year, why not those guys?
There's a big difference between Huselius and Zubrus. Zubrus has gotten the ice time while Huselius never has. I also don't think their potential is anywhere near each other. I think Zubrus has 55-60 point potential, while I think Huselius could score 35-40 given ice time on the right team.
And no, I don't think Zubrus will break out this season.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Looger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
There's a big difference between Huselius and Zubrus. Zubrus has gotten the ice time while Huselius never has. I also don't think their potential is anywhere near each other. I think Zubrus has 55-60 point potential, while I think Huselius could score 35-40 given ice time on the right team.
And no, I don't think Zubrus will break out this season.
it's not like keenan watched huselius for two weeks in training camp and then decided his ice-time for the season, it's a gradual process of effort-versus-reward.

personally i think there's aboot 50 players with 100-point potential in this league if given the right chances, etc. but until they actually DO it, we can only guess. potential is another way to say that they suck now.

i didn't mean to suggest these guys were exact copies or something, merely both players that have frustrating flashes of more production than they exhibit over a whole season.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:01 AM
GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
There's a big difference between Huselius and Zubrus. Zubrus has gotten the ice time while Huselius never has.
Time On Ice

2002-03:
Huselius 17.32
Zubrus 16.31

2001-02
Huselius 16.9
Zubrus 18.8

Old
09-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I've given up on Zubrus
Last time I checked, his breakout year was supposed to be right after he got traded for Mark Recchi to the Habs...

Closed Thread