HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Arbitration hearing dates for Gunnarson and Fraser have been set

Old
07-16-2013, 04:48 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Would like to keep everyone but with the D how it is, one of liles, franson, Gunnar or Fraser are out.

Phaneuf-?????
Gardiner-?????
?????-?????

That's 4 spots for:
Liles
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Franson
Rielly
Granberg
Holzer
Brennan
Blacker

I'd like to see:

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Fraser-Franson
Liles(no point in having his salary sit in the pressbox when we've got many you g guys ready for some ice time)
Granberg
Blacker
Holzer
Brennan

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
People call him replaceable.

Find me another guy with his nastiness, toughness, and willingness to block shots and stick up for his team-mates? It's not that easy boys. This guy plays a simple but effective game and does so in limited minutes. I feel like we're talking very small number difference right now.
I think it absolutely is that easy. We found him in the minors, if pro scouting tried hard enough they'd find another. These kind of guys come out of the woodwork every year.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Obviously if they liked what the Team was offering they wouldn't go to arbitration, not sure that needed to be pointed out.
I pointed it out because you seemed to be under the impression Gunnarsson will about to become paid as a bottom pairing defender in Toronto.

Gunnarsson has however been paired with Phaneuf on the top pairing and is going to arbitration to get a raise on his previous deal. His +21 minutes a night TOI/g places him 2nd among Leaf regulars in icetime.

The plan has never been to use Gunnarsson as a bottom pairing defender, so not sure where you got that impression he was.

07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it absolutely is that easy. We found him in the minors, if pro scouting tried hard enough they'd find another. These kind of guys come out of the woodwork every year.
I don't think it's that easy at all. Fraser is the perfect bottom pairing defenseman. Clears the net with ease, blocks shots like no tomorrow and can (and will) go toe to toe with the best of them. Fraser seems like the type who would do anything for his teammates and he's great to have on the back end protecting our goalies

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:23 PM
desperateblue

I dont think we can sign all these guys and keep phanuef
So considering i dont think dion will command the trade package nonis wants id sign we sign franson or gunnar but not both. One of them had to be traded. So does liles even if we only get picks back.

I would like to see

Phanuef Gardiner
Reilly Franson/gunnar
Fraser Whoever has a good camp.

desperateblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
officialmark7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Would like to keep everyone but with the D how it is, one of liles, franson, Gunnar or Fraser are out.

Phaneuf-?????
Gardiner-?????
?????-?????

That's 4 spots for:
Liles
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Franson
Rielly
Granberg
Holzer
Brennan
Blacker

I'd like to see:

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Fraser-Franson
Liles(no point in having his salary sit in the pressbox when we've got many you g guys ready for some ice time)
Granberg
Blacker
Holzer
Brennan
I see no way Rielly on the 1st D Pairing could go wrong. I can't believe I didn't think of this.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
savaged

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
I don't think it's that easy at all. Fraser is the perfect bottom pairing defenseman. Clears the net with ease, blocks shots like no tomorrow and can (and will) go toe to toe with the best of them. Fraser seems like the type who would do anything for his teammates and he's great to have on the back end protecting our goalies
Agree 100%. He brought so much last season and it was his first, half, NHL season. To think he can't improve in the areas he is weak and not sign him would be very short sighted.

savaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
theTTC

Quote:
Fraser shouldn't be locked up to anything. He looks like a random, replaceable minor leaguer.
Must vehemently disagree. Watch any Leaf game this guy has played in. He really does add to the good chemistry. When he is on the ice, his mates know he's got their back and will drop the gloves before they have to. He's also nuts: will always sacrifice himself to block a shot or stop an attacker. And he is humble, not a loud mouth. Definitely value added.

theTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Machinae

Gunnarsson is a 3-4 d-man in this league and is the 2nd best d-man on the team as of right now.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Gunnarsson is a 3-4 d-man in this league and is the 2nd best d-man on the team as of right now.
Gardiner and Franson are better than he is

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:16 PM
teddygmr

we had heard that Gunnarsson was playing through a hip injury that would probably need surgery. Has anyone heard IF it was done and what the timetable is for recovery?

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:23 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Gunnarsson has proven for a few years now to be at the very least a #3, and capable of being a #2 in a pinch. Don't think he'd be interest in playing #5 mins, let alone #5 pay.
Bad hips!

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:35 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Quote:
Fraser shouldn't be locked up to anything. He looks like a random, replaceable minor leaguer.
Boom. Well said. The only thing people notice with Fraser is his plus-minus which is massively overrated and even at that, its a meaningless stat. if you watch a lot of plays, Fraser does nothing for the goal but gets a + for being on the ice. He is an AHL D man/#7 in the NHL. If hes asking for anything more than a mil, he should be let go. Although I'm not sure how that would unfold. Regardless, he can EASILY be replaced.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:36 PM
leaffansince1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post

Phaneuf-?????
Gardiner-?????
?????-?????

That's 4 spots for:
Liles
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Franson
Rielly
Granberg
Holzer
Brennan
Blacker

I'd like to see:

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Fraser-Franson
Granberg
Blacker
Holzer
Brennan
It may be hard buy leave Rielly alone. Maybe have a look at Granberg. In no particular order:

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Franson
Liles
Granberg/Blacker/Holzer/Brennan/Rielly (for a couple of games only)

leaffansince1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Gardiner and Franson are better than he is
Franson is the most glorified #6 that has ever played for the Leafs, and Gardiner has to prove it this year. Not enough sample last season to decide he's head and shoulders the better D-man than Gunnar yet.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
K19*

Love the Fraser!

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

franson didnt file for it, which is interesting, I hope we sign him for like a 4 year 3aav type deal, id like to see him here for a bit

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:46 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Second pairing on the defensive side. I think he needs go get more physical considering that his offensive game is poor. He is a Hjaalmarsson-class defenceman, but he isn't at his levels. Chicago can retain peripheral pieces to maintain chemistry, because they won two cups in half a decade. We shouldn't be desperately retaining anyone, but our core players.
He showed he can be pretty physical in the playoffs. I don't know why you think he's poor offensively though...he's got a good first pass and he put up 15 even strength points this year, 2nd most on the team behind only Franson who had 16, and with the exception of Yandle and Letang who had 25 and 20 respectively, the highest number other defensemen were able to achieve was 18. He had very little PP time yet still put up those numbers.

Hjalmarsson isn't that much better, if at all really. Him and Gunnarsson faced the same level of competition during the season and Gunnarsson had a higher CORSI relative despite the fact that Hjalmarsson plays for the best puck possession team in the league while Gunnarsson played for one of the worst. Hjalmarsson has a better GA/60 on, but Chicago was far and away the best team and allowed the least amount of goals due to the fact that the teams they faced could hardly get control of the puck against them. Gunnarsson's GF/60 on is also better.

Quote:
I'm hesitant to toss around the term "great" with Gunnarsson...
"Great" may be pushing it but he's certainly a solid d-man on the 2nd pairing. If you think Hjalmarsson is good then you should think Gunnarsson is good too cause they're almost the same.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:51 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
People call him replaceable.

Find me another guy with his nastiness, toughness, and willingness to block shots and stick up for his team-mates? It's not that easy boys. This guy plays a simple but effective game and does so in limited minutes. I feel like we're talking very small number difference right now.
This, How quick people forget.... In Florida when someone on the Panthers was giving Kadri the business....who comes steam rolling in? for a 6th or 7th Dman he's not the worst and has heart imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5pennRs_A

4:09 mark

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO5 View Post
This, How quick people forget.... In Florida when someone on the Panthers was giving Kadri the business....who comes steam rolling in? for a 6th or 7th Dman he's not the worst and has heart imo.

Am I the only guy who remembers the x-ray of his skull that went around? He gets punched in the head for a living and there was a hole in his forehead. Maybe he should retire before he winds up in a wheelchair? I wish no ill on him but I wouldn't want him gooning it up for my team.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:

We got Clarkson who can do this now, if Fraser is only getting acknowledged for his willingness to drop the gloves (which he probably won't be able to do, ever again), he isn't something special.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTTC View Post
Must vehemently disagree. Watch any Leaf game this guy has played in. He really does add to the good chemistry. When he is on the ice, his mates know he's got their back and will drop the gloves before they have to. He's also nuts: will always sacrifice himself to block a shot or stop an attacker. And he is humble, not a loud mouth. Definitely value added.
He has his uses, but I disagree so much with the good chemistry thing. He deserves credit for being a good teammate who will stand up for a guy, but let's face it, when you have his toolset, you better be that good guy.

Secondly, I think his presence on the back end actually can be a problem. A guy like him succeeds best when he keeps things simple, but often because of his footspeed and limited type of plays he can make, he's really vulnerable once the cycle gets going. We get hemmed in the zone a lot when he's out there. As far as his shotblocking, he also doesn't seem to be of the classic lay down Markov variety.

He's okay, but I wouldn't go so far as to give him job security.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:

He's always the first man in protecting Reimer. I remember that video too, what a beast Fraser is.

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I'm having trouble figuring out what Fraser's agent thinks he can get in arbitration. Fraser should just be happy to get a guaranteed one way deal.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:53 PM
seanlinden

Letting Gunnarsson reach arbitration would be a huge mistake for Nonis. A 1 year deal takes him to unrestricted free agency, and this is a guy who we should be locking up 3-5 years right now. His versatility makes him the kind of player that can always help your team, and currently, he plays a very substantial role with our team. I don't see that changing with our current group.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote