Ducks sign Dustin Penner. 1 yr, $2 M

Old
07-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
That is such a long shot. Prospal is just way superior player (in every way), and has got actual leadership skills.
Sure. But who knows where he wants to go, what money he wants, and whether he can keep his level at 38 years of age. The leadership aspect wouldn't have been bad, but oh well. We'll see.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
If it's one year I don't think it's a bad risk to take. He certainly brings size, something our forwards in general are lacking. Certainly would have liked someone more gritty like a Morrow but his asking price might be out of the Ducks range at this point.

It does make me wish the Ducks did something with one of the goalies to shed some salary to bring in another piece. Looking at 7.4 million tied up in goalies just always bothers me. I do see the reasoning behind it. It's just another 3 or so million they could have used for another dman or a forward with a better track record.

If its two year I hate the deal.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
Its a 1 year deal if he plays like **** put him on the 4th line or don't play him it's no risk
If he plays like crap he can watch from the press box. Or some other team will take him hoping they'll get his playoff-version.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
If he plays like crap he can watch from the press box. Or some other team will take him hoping they'll get his playoff-version.
Yeah, it's not a big deal. As you said earlier, low risk with a chance of a nice reward.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Not a fan of bringing him back, BUT at 1 year 2 million it's low risk and potentially a decent reward.

Hopefully can get his ass into gear, can bring some good size to the forwards.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Pancakes, please don't suck.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
Its a 1 year deal if he plays like **** put him on the 4th line or don't play him it's no risk
You are only looking at the monetary risk. Ice time will be wasted while we decide if the lotto ticket we found in the gutter might be worth something. Sure it's better than a multi year deal but it's still a waste of time and a diversion we don't need considering how many high level prospects we have on the cusp of becoming established NHL players.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
That is such a long shot. Prospal is just way superior player (in every way), and has got actual leadership skills.
I won't argue on who is the better player as that seems pretty evident. I have read though that Prospal wanted to stay somewhere on the East coast. I know it was just a suggestion by you, but I felt it relevant.

With that said. You don't know anything about locker room leadership skills, who has them and who doesn't. "leadership" is such an overhyped term but that is another argument for another time.

I'll know Penner isn't known as the most dedicated or hardest worker. If that is what you define leadership as fine. But Penner was and is very well liked by his LA teammates and still is very good friends with Getzlaf and Perry. Which based on my limited time personally with athletes is all they really care about.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Professor John Frink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
You are only looking at the monetary risk. Ice time will be wasted while we decide if the lotto ticket we found in the gutter might be worth something. Sure it's better than a multi year deal but it's still a waste of time and a diversion we don't need considering how many high level prospects we have on the cusp of becoming established NHL players.
It depends on what you want this team to be then I guess. If the Ducks are to seemingly have an audition for an entire 2nd line I'd say the Ducks won't be a playoff team unless everything just comes together.

If you see this as a growth year that is another thing. Me I want the team to make the playoffs and personally would much rather have Penner who we at least know can contribute some at the NHL level than a young player who is just given a spot on the team. Competition amongst teammates is never a bad thing. I don't want to hand Etem or Palmieri or whomever a top 6 role just because they are a highly touted prospect. I want them to have to earn it. And as much as I wish the Ducks brought in someone else(if it is in fact true) I'm glad they brought in someone so we don't just hand players spots on the team without them earning it (DSP comes to mind).

Old
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I won't argue on who is the better player as that seems pretty evident. I have read though that Prospal wanted to stay somewhere on the East coast. I know it was just a suggestion by you, but I felt it relevant.
It was more of a display of how much I don't want Penner back, that I'd rather overpay 38 y o Prospal and tie up significantly more cap space.

Quote:
With that said. You don't know anything about locker room leadership skills, who has them and who doesn't. "leadership" is such an overhyped term but that is another argument for another time.

I'll know Penner isn't known as the most dedicated or hardest worker. If that is what you define leadership as fine. But Penner was and is very well liked by his LA teammates and still is very good friends with Getzlaf and Perry. Which based on my limited time personally with athletes is all they really care about.
It's on ice conduct, that's leadership. I don't care who is besties with whom, all I care is that Ducks succeed.

BTW Palmieri had more goals this past season than Penner in last two combined.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
It depends on what you want this team to be then I guess. If the Ducks are to seemingly have an audition for an entire 2nd line I'd say the Ducks won't be a playoff team unless everything just comes together.

If you see this as a growth year that is another thing. Me I want the team to make the playoffs and personally would much rather have Penner who we at least know can contribute some at the NHL level than a young player who is just given a spot on the team. Competition amongst teammates is never a bad thing. I don't want to hand Etem or Palmieri or whomever a top 6 role just because they are a highly touted prospect. I want them to have to earn it. And as much as I wish the Ducks brought in someone else(if it is in fact true) I'm glad they brought in someone so we don't just hand players spots on the team without them earning it (DSP comes to mind).
I agree with everything you said. I want to make the playoffs too. I just think that Penner is a proven "no help". I also don't believe in giving any young guy a job. But between Silf, Etem, Palmieri, and maybe Holland at wing too, nobody will be given the job and IMO they will collectively or individually outproduce anything Penner would do.

I'm of the opinion that everybody who says it is a good risk is really only looking at the money side of it. This is BM resorting to his former self as a dumpster diver hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. If we didn't have so many young guys capable of winning that job it would be one thing to plug in Penner and just get through the season. But if we are counting on Penner taking us into the playoffs then it appears we are not thinking that highly of all our young talent.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
muckbin15
parros16

I dont see why anybody would whine about this? if he isn't fit in the top 6, he won't play. Although penner is a guy who probably could fit on the 4th line with beleskey and give that line some pop. Its silly to call this a bad move.

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AngelDuck

Lol at Penner being a locker room cancer. You mean the guy with two cups before the age of 30? CANCER!!

This signing is decent. Low risk, high reward if he finds his 30 goal scoring touch

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Selanne
Etem - Koivu - Palmieri
Winnik - Rakell - Cogliano

Depth.

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Selanne
Etem - Koivu - Palmieri
Winnik - Rakell - Cogliano

Depth.
Cogs doesn't fit the 4 line and plus him playing with Etem sounds nuts

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 141
Why are people so eager to split up the 3rd line?

07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

If it happens then there is no room for Selanne.

Silfverberg, Etem, Palms, Holland, Maroon need ice time.

Penner-Getz-Perry
Silfv-Bonino-Palms
Etem-Koivu-Cogs
Winn-Holland-Beleskey

Healthy scratch: Maroon, Staubitz

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Not eager. But I think the bottom 6 would be more balanced if they're split up as shown in my proposed lineup.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
If it happens then there is no room for Selanne.

Silfverberg, Etem, Palms, Holland, Maroon need ice time.

Penner-Getz-Perry
Silfv-Bonino-Palms
Etem-Koivu-Cogs
Winn-Holland-Beleskey

Healthy scratch: Maroon, Staubitz
I disagree. Selanne was very good to start the season, but he had trouble keeping up with the quick schedule. You sign Selanne if he wants to return.

Keep in mind, there will be more time in-between games, and he doesn't have to play every game with our depth.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I agree with everything you said. I want to make the playoffs too. I just think that Penner is a proven "no help". I also don't believe in giving any young guy a job. But between Silf, Etem, Palmieri, and maybe Holland at wing too, nobody will be given the job and IMO they will collectively or individually outproduce anything Penner would do.

I'm of the opinion that everybody who says it is a good risk is really only looking at the money side of it. This is BM resorting to his former self as a dumpster diver hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. If we didn't have so many young guys capable of winning that job it would be one thing to plug in Penner and just get through the season. But if we are counting on Penner taking us into the playoffs then it appears we are not thinking that highly of all our young talent.
Perhaps the most irritating part. Haven't we had enough of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I have no idea either. One would think the way that 3rd line performed, it is all but certain they'll start the season together.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
rollingdux

So how legit is this?

Cancer? I think he's far from that. He may be lazy and have work ethic problems, but he's not a cancer. He seems like a pretty well liked guy.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Lol at Penner being a locker room cancer. You mean the guy with two cups before the age of 30? CANCER!!

This signing is decent. Low risk, high reward if he finds his 30 goal scoring touch
I think one thing that's a given is Penner being a likable guy and a good teammate. No doubt there. My concern is he's going to be pigeonholed into a spot where he won't succeed. If he finds the scoring touch he had for us for one season, great.

I find it hilarious that a lot of people feel he'd be fine on the fourth line. When Todd Marchant played on the fourth line just about everyone here screamed about playing someone 2 million or more for that role but it's fine with Penner. I'm still holding out hope that this is a bogus rumor.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
So how legit is this?

Cancer? I think he's far from that. He may be lazy and have work ethic problems, but he's not a cancer. He seems like a pretty well liked guy.
Producer for TSN.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Silf-Bonino-Palmieri
Cogliano-Koivu-Etem
Beleskey-Holland-Winnik
Rakell, Nosesen, Maroon, Staubitz, Karlsson, Kerdiles, Laganiere