HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign Dustin Penner. 1 yr, $2 M

Old
07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Elvs

vCash: 500
This fanbase has to be the only one that's ok with plugging unproven players in their top six. The Ducks have two top six forwards, Getzlaf and Perry. The 3rd best forward on the team (Koivu) plays on the 3rd line, and the only youngster that I really trust as a top six winger at this point is Palmieri.

Silfverberg and Etem, while both talented, haven't produced like top six forwards should yet. The same goes for Bonino. With Penner, the Ducks have someone to fall back on in case the kids aren't ready. If they prove themselves, Penner can play on the 4th line. You don't sign Prospal for $4 mil to do that. I don't get the comparison between Prospal and Penner anyways, they're not similar players at all except for size. Getzlaf and Perry needs a complementary winger, not another playmaker. And only on HFboards can a player who's played 15 games and scored two NHL goals (Maroon), be better than Penner.

With that said I'm not thrilled with Penner, but if it's for $2 mil or less it's low risk. If he plays with Getzlaf and Perry his production will most certainly increase from his last couple of seasons. Even if they don't have perfect chemistry, it should still be a better line than in 06/07. As good as that line was in the playoffs, Getzlaf and Perry are twice the players now than they were back then.

Last edited by Elvs: 07-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
Yes perhaps it is a unfair comparison. I just prefer players being implemented on our top 6 have the ability to "hang" with the pace of play week in and week out, especially with our forwards in waiting. Bobby, unlike penner, eventually scores goals and gets back to play defense. With Penner your just getting the lazy, first one off the ice type guy that looks tired. So yes, I was wrong to compare the two, hopefully you aren't laughing anymore because this isn't funny.
If he plays like that we have plenty of capable replacements in our organization so he will be watching from the press box

Last edited by Ducks Nation*: 07-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM
DaDucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
If he plays like that we have plenty of cable replacements in our organization so he will be watching from the press box
Yes but we already have Staubitz being...........

Agh why waste my time

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:29 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
If he plays like that we have plenty of cable replacements in our organization so he will be watching from the press box
He'll be on another team if he plays like ****. Some team out there will trade for him for the playoffs. Again, this is super low risk. Getting rid of Penner at the trade deadline for a pick will be pretty easy I think if he doesn't work out.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
AngelDuck

Penner to Anaheim has been confirmed by the Ducks official twitter account. Done deal

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks

Quote:
Welcome back, Pens! The #NHLDucks have signed Dustin Penner to a one-year contract.

Last edited by Unholy: 07-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
07-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Paul4587

Meh. There are better players still out there if Murray wanted a winger...

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:40 PM
gradeAducksfan

So let me get this straight.....

Ducks NEED a 2nd line center. Their is a pretty good one still left out there and we sign Penner? I don't understand this! Maybe he will play pretty good with the twins.

gradeAducksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Old Man Barking

I'm also so sick of hearing how he's a playoff player. He's not.

18 games played and 5 points last season. 20 games played with a hefty 11 points in the Kings' Cup year.

And not to mention the myriad of other criticisms.

But hey, he had one good season with the Twins so OF COURSE he'll rebound to 30 goals and be a steal. His lack of effort, motivation and fitness surely won't be an issue for a 4th year in a row, right?!

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
So let me get this straight.....

Ducks NEED a 2nd line center. Their is a pretty good one still left out there and we sign Penner? I don't understand this! Maybe he will play pretty good with the twins.
Maybe they realized the centers didn't want to play for anaheim so ended up signing up penner who had chemistry with our first line

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post

18 games played and 5 points last season. 20 games played with a hefty 11 points in the Kings' Cup year.

And not to mention the myriad of other criticisms.

But hey, he had one good season with the Twins so OF COURSE he'll rebound to 30 goals and be a steal. His lack of effort, motivation and fitness surely won't be an issue for a 4th year in a row, right?!
You're freaking out over a very minor signing. If he sucks here, he will either be traded or go to the pressbox.

Old
07-16-2013, 05:47 PM
bootsgaudet

dont mind this , just because of previous chemstry with Getz and Perry however, I would have much rather taken a stab at Peter Mueller than Dusty or even brad boyes..

Quite glad this means we wont be pursuing grab

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
You're freaking out over a very minor signing. If he sucks here, he will either be traded or go to the pressbox.
A minor signing that takes up 2 million dollars on a team that never spends to the cap. I hope he proves me wrong.

He will suck here and we'll get **** back in a trade or pay him to be scratched, great.

Old
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvs View Post
This fanbase has to be the only one that's ok with plugging unproven players in their top six. The Ducks have two top six forwards, Getzlaf and Perry. The 3rd best forward on the team (Koivu) plays on the 3rd line, and the only youngster that I really trust as a top six winger at this point is Palmieri.

Silfverberg and Etem, while both talented, haven't produced like top six forwards should yet. The same goes for Bonino. With Penner, the Ducks have someone to fall back on in case the kids aren't ready. If they prove themselves, Penner can play on the 4th line. You don't sign Prospal for $4 mil to do that. I don't get the comparison between Prospal and Penner anyways, they're not similar players at all except for size. Getzlaf and Perry needs a complementary winger, not another playmaker. And only on HFboards can a player who's played 15 games and scored two NHL goals (Maroon), be better than Penner.

With that said I'm not thrilled with Penner, but if it's for $2 mil or less it's low risk. If he plays with Getzlaf and Perry his production will most certainly increase from his last couple of seasons. Even if they don't have perfect chemistry, it should still be a better line than in 06/07. As good as that line was in the playoffs, Getzlaf and Perry are twice the players now than they were back then.
Thats pretty slippery sloped. .

How could we get 6 proven forwards on this team? Deal away palms, etem, cogs, silf, noeson, bonino, etc etc for top 6 guys like prospal?

We have been dealt a hand. We have 2 guys in getz and perry, and we have a while boatful of youngsters looking for roster spots.

And frankly, trickling them in 2 a year is going to hold some kids back While 'proven' top 6 ers fill the slots.

Its not really about this year imo. Its 2014-2015. Next offseason is time to finetune for cup runs. This season, its all about finding some gems in your youth.

Thats how they won last time. Thats how you have to do it in a cap era. We need to see all the youngsters who are nhl ready, in action and developing into cheap, up and coming producers behind the big 2. Then, use the capspace next year to stab for the 8 mil dman.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:50 PM
caliamad

Don't think this is a bad transaction in isolation but I'd much rather see us spend our limited cap space on improving our 2C or top 4D.

Interesting observation, the season Penner is let go is the first season Bobby Ryan plays for the ducks. Now Bobby leaves and Penner returns.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
With Penner signing my dreams of Jagr signing in Anaheim are officially done. :/
All I want is to be able to buy a Jagr Ducks jersey strictly for nostalgia reasons.
And I think he would be great with Getz and Perry on the PP and 1st line.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:

Well, for one, points aren't everything, especially with a player that Penner's capable of being. Also, while those totals aren't high, they were good enough for 7th on the Kings in both years. This year was more than Brown, even, and the cup year he was close with Carter(13).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
A minor signing that takes up 2 million dollars on a team that never spends to the cap. I hope he proves me wrong.

He will suck here and we'll get **** back in a trade or pay him to be scratched, great.
You act like it's your money. If the Ducks want to spend to that cap this season by all means I am fine with that. A one year deal holds zero risk for the possible rewards it may bring.

I understand you don't like the deal. I would certainly agree there were better options available. But I doubt any player who has scored 30 goals before in a season would sign a 1 year deal or sign for 2 mil.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I have a Jagr caps jersey.

Trust me, it's an overrated purchase.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
DarthYenik

I always got the feeling Penner wanted to come back to the Ducks. Probably the moment he started playing for the Oilers.

I'm kind of excited. Will we see the return of the PPG line?

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Stupid move. We get rid of Ryan because of his lackadaisical play. And promptly replace him with Penner. Yes he's cheaper. But he also produces less while being just as lazy.

"It's not good enough. Major changes." Not that I believe the team actually needs major changes, but he's not keeping to his stated goal.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Hey Bob, if you were really that desperate to piss away $2M, here I am, yachtless, in landlocked Nebraska.

Anytime, buddy.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
You act like it's your money. If the Ducks want to spend to that cap this season by all means I am fine with that. A one year deal holds zero risk for the possible rewards it may bring.

I understand you don't like the deal. I would certainly agree there were better options available. But I doubt any player who has scored 30 goals before in a season would sign a 1 year deal or sign for 2 mil.
If they spent 100 million dollars on him because they had the money and no cap, fine. But we are a budget team and spending 2 million on yet another reclamation project is stupid.

We didn't need another left winger, could we use one? Sure, but to me, it wasn't a big problem. Our problem is 2nd line center and our D.

Oh well.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Actually, we don't know if we're a budget team right now.

07-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Actually, we don't know if we're a budget team right now.
Very true, and in fact, I just was sitting here thinking of that. I have to think we are though if Bob is signing Penner. Can't imagine signing Penner for 2 million then going out and picking up any other higher end players.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Thats pretty slippery sloped. .

How could we get 6 proven forwards on this team? Deal away palms, etem, cogs, silf, noeson, bonino, etc etc for top 6 guys like prospal?

We have been dealt a hand. We have 2 guys in getz and perry, and we have a while boatful of youngsters looking for roster spots.

And frankly, trickling them in 2 a year is going to hold some kids back While 'proven' top 6 ers fill the slots.

Its not really about this year imo. Its 2014-2015. Next offseason is time to finetune for cup runs. This season, its all about finding some gems in your youth.

Thats how they won last time. Thats how you have to do it in a cap era. We need to see all the youngsters who are nhl ready, in action and developing into cheap, up and coming producers behind the big 2. Then, use the capspace next year to stab for the 8 mil dman.
Nitpicking I know, but if the Ducks dealt the guys you mentioned away I imagine they could get more than a 38 year old UFA. But I understand what you are saying.

I said it in another thread, but competition for positions is a good thing. Forcing players to earn their role in the NHL is a good thing. I don't care if Maroon is on a one way deal. Earn the spot. I don't care if Etem had a great playoff series. Earn the spot.

Duck fans aren't use to having a lot of great prospects fighting for a few positions on the team. As much as we want it to be true not every prospect will make it(which you elude to). I just feel like the Ducks feel confident about guys like Bonino, Palmieri, and Vatanen making the team but they worry about Etem(being truly ready) and Holland(dominates AHL/will it translate), Maroon(see Holland). Penner is an insurance policy which essentially cost the Ducks only a roster spot this season. Nothing long term.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote