HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Amazing Race Canada - Tuesdays @ 9 PM EDT/PDT - CTV

Old
07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
The Amazing Race Canada - Tuesdays @ 9 PM EDT/PDT - CTV

Wow! The premiere of the Amazing Race Canada aired yesterday evening, and man, it was fantastic, and to be honest, just as good as the American one. How it is put together feels identical the US version, and host Jon Montgomery does a pretty good job as well, in no way did it feel awkward without Phil.

It airs at 9 PM on CTV on Monday nights.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/joanna-...b_3604543.html

Quote:
How was the premiere of The Amazing Race Canada? It was gold, Jerry. Gold.

Or rather, the highly-anticipated series is certainly off to an excellent start.

Greeted by Jon Montgomery's infectious smile, the country's nine chosen pairs kicked off their 23,000 km., 10-leg journey in Niagara Falls, Ont., at the Oakes Garden Theatre Park.

"Alright everybody, Canada is waiting for you!" said Montgomery. "Good luck, race safe, and go!"

Though the show is set in Canada, it does not look like, or resemble, what one would associate with Canadian reality production values, or a smaller-scale budget. Instead, The Amazing Race Canada presents the same impressive crisp and kinetic camerawork of its American original, while creating ample suspense and conflict between the teams, and as a result of natural delays. Plus, who knew the Niagara Butterfly Conservatory would be such a scary place for some contestants?

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 07-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:45 PM
oileral

vCash: 500
rooting for Hal Johnson and Joanne Mcleod, keep fit and have fun! Body Break!

oileral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
udonnoodles

vCash: 544
Saw it last night. Didn't realize the Body Break people were on there. Rooting for them, the father and son, and the brothers.

It'll be neat to see where they travel to, even if it's only within Canada.

udonnoodles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oileral View Post
rooting for Hal Johnson and Joanne Mcleod, keep fit and have fun! Body Break!
I laughed when she actually said that line before she jumped off the ledge

also, what a ****** way to get eliminated...

hopefully this gets good ratings so they can expand it worldwide for the next season

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I loved that one of the two teams that forgot half of their clue ended up being eliminated because of it.

Read your clues in detail, kids. Ironically, I think it was the eliminated team that was shown reading that part of the clue out loud.

07-16-2013, 03:51 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonnoodles View Post
Saw it last night. Didn't realize the Body Break people were on there. Rooting for them, the father and son, and the brothers.

It'll be neat to see where they travel to, even if it's only within Canada.
They said they'll travel 23,000 km over the course of the trip.

For reference. Vancouver to Halifax one way is just over 4,400 km (as the crow flies). They're going to be bouncing around the country quite a bit. Looks like they'll be up in the Arctic too for a leg later on.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
tacogeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I laughed when she actually said that line before she jumped off the ledge

also, what a ****** way to get eliminated...

hopefully this gets good ratings so they can expand it worldwide for the next season
that was the best part of the episode, myself and a friend broke down laughing.

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
MsMeow

Loved it! I wasn't sure what to expect but it looked exactly like regular TAR. Jon Montgomery was a good host and so far I like all the teams. Has anyone been to the fb page? My god, the whining because there are no Maritimers on the show! Do people really cheer for the team based on where they're from?

MsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Loved it! I wasn't sure what to expect but it looked exactly like regular TAR. Jon Montgomery was a good host and so far I like all the teams. Has anyone been to the fb page? My god, the whining because there are no Maritimers on the show! Do people really cheer for the team based on where they're from?
People will complain about everything and anything.

I liked the show. I mean, it isn't going to be as good as the US one because the destinations will be sub-par, but I really liked that they copied everything.

J.M. did a great job as the host.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
MsMeow

I am just so glad Ben Mulroney didn't get the job. The ratings were great, over 3 million people watched.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
danishh

was pretty good. The lack of language barrier and terrible taxi drivers will change the complexion of the game though. Hopefully we see some screwups in quebec.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
was pretty good. The lack of language barrier and terrible taxi drivers will change the complexion of the game though. Hopefully we see some screwups in quebec.
Stopping someone on the street and getting directions is so easy here. Heck, most taxi drivers have a smartphone where they can just look the place up if they don't know.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:48 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I thought that it was sneaky/smart of them to force the teams to take 2 clues at the butterfly conservatory. Anyone that watches TAR knows they always take 1 clue per team so throwing in a second one was a good twist, albeit subtle. With the lack of language issues and killer fatigue due to insane travel, hopefully they'll do more things like that.

I also liked that both teammates had to do the first task, one going underwater, the other jumping off the bridge. There was no time for slacking!

Old
07-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Transplanted Caper

Hopefully the father and son or the Body Break folks win it. I'm already indifferent or have disdain for everyone else.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:19 AM
go_leafs_go02

Another good episode tonight. Really think staying in Canada isn't hurting the show at all

Old
07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Another good episode tonight. Really think staying in Canada isn't hurting the show at all
I agree. It got better as the show went along with those tasks in Chinatown being so hard. The two guys, Jet and whoever, are really growing on me. Also, the younger of those 2 sisters really stepped up and took charge on the writing task. Best part was Hal and Joanne laughing after they caught the earlier flight. They said on twitter that it was from a different interview but it was edited in perfectly.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:09 AM
timekeep

Like someone already said, glad Mulroney isn't hosting. Great show so far.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Canada4Gold

I kinda wish they picked the contestants from all parts of the country, there's like 5 teams from ONtario.

No big deal though. Hoping they get to travel to Newfoundland, that's more important to me than a team from Newfoundland.

Sucks that this didn't air on any of my channels though, I have a very expanded package with lots of channels from all over Canada. I was looking all over for it and it was nowhere, I was shocked. It showed on TSN 3 days later, I ended up watching it online.

Would have like to participate but Exams were in the way, probably wouldn't have found anyone to race with anyway(and even if I did the chances of being picked were probably 0). I love just travelling though, and am awesome at navigation, is the perfect kind of reality show for me to participate in

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:29 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
I kinda wish they picked the contestants from all parts of the country, there's like 5 teams from ONtario.

No big deal though. Hoping they get to travel to Newfoundland, that's more important to me than a team from Newfoundland.

Sucks that this didn't air on any of my channels though, I have a very expanded package with lots of channels from all over Canada. I was looking all over for it and it was nowhere, I was shocked. It showed on TSN 3 days later, I ended up watching it online.

Would have like to participate but Exams were in the way, probably wouldn't have found anyone to race with anyway(and even if I did the chances of being picked were probably 0). I love just travelling though, and am awesome at navigation, is the perfect kind of reality show for me to participate in
You don't have CTV? It might be on at 10:30 PM NFLD time on Mondays.

It airs at 9 PM Eastern/Pacific on CTV - Monday nights.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 07-26-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
You don't have CTV? It might be on at 10:30 PM NFLD time on Mondays.

It airs at 9 PM Eastern/Pacific on CTV - Monday nights.
I have lots of ctv channels(like pretty much all of them) and it was on none of them on Monday(I was away the first Monday so don't know about then). I was really confused.

The only one I saw it on was CTV Atlantic HD at 10:30 I believe and I don't have that for some weird reason.

Maybe the guide was messed up or something. No big deal though, I tend to watch most shows after the fact anyway

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:12 AM
nameless1
Apathy is great!

I recognize all the locations of the one they did in Vancouver.

I do think they do a stereotypical depiction of the cultural aspect though.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
MsMeow

I officially want to visit the badlands after tonight's very stressful episode. The line dancing was especially tough.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:51 AM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post

As the person that schedules that television show on CTV, I can with certainty tell you that Amazing Race Canada airs at 9pm (or 9:30pm if you're in NFLD).

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I officially want to visit the badlands after tonight's very stressful episode. The line dancing was especially tough.
Anderson Cooper (the judge) was very tough on them - that's for sure.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Use the Schwartz*

hahaha Anderson Cooper. Jet and Dave are quickly becoming my 1B team behind Body Break.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote