HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rodney Dangerfield's Favorite Team

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Rodney Dangerfield's Favorite Team

Starting line-up of players who don't get nearly enough credit for the excellent play they provide night in and night out. I've run this thread on other forums and the responses usually lead me to watch players I might miss otherwise.

Let's have 'em!

Goal-
Olaf Kolzig, Capitals. Resilient, never quits and gets consistently shelled behind a Caps team that hasn't cared in quite a while. Never mentioned in the top tier of tenders in the league and should be.

Defense-
Mike Rathje, Sharks. Solid two way defenseman who plays shutdown defense and chips in with a little offense. Great outlet passer who is often overlooked by his flashier peers.
Wade Redden, Sens. Reminds me a lot of the way Neidermayer plays in New Jersey (minus the skating). Never out of position, doesn't panic and makes everything look so easy you can't tell if he's working hard. Maybe that's why everone forgets him.

Forwards-
Jere Lehtinen- Stars. So how can a guy who wins the Selke be in here? Because no one seems to remember he scored 31 goals! Everyone rightly lauds him for his defensive play but forgets his offense. He's a Jari Kurri clone.
Steve Sullivan- Hawks. Left for dead by the infinite wisdom of Pat Quinn, he has shown he can play. Deceptive speed and a motor that will not quit I love watching this guy. Too bad to see him you have to watch the Hawks.
John Madden- Devils. The straw that stirs the drink. Deeper teams who play the Devils can usually match up pretty well with their first two lines, but have no answer for Madden. The guy can skate, hits anything that moves, can score and will absolutely suffocate your top forward. Absolutely infuriating to watch when he's not on your team and is killing you. Then the 3 stars roll around and he's not one of them.

No Respect.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:36 PM
John Flyers Fan

I think Madden & Lehtinen both get plenty of recognition.

Rathje, Redden & Sullivan are good picks however.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:02 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Starting line-up of players who don't get nearly enough credit for the excellent play they provide night in and night out. I've run this thread on other forums and the responses usually lead me to watch players I might miss otherwise.

Let's have 'em!

Goal-
Olaf Kolzig, Capitals. Resilient, never quits and gets consistently shelled behind a Caps team that hasn't cared in quite a while. Never mentioned in the top tier of tenders in the league and should be.

Defense-
Mike Rathje, Sharks. Solid two way defenseman who plays shutdown defense and chips in with a little offense. Great outlet passer who is often overlooked by his flashier peers.
Wade Redden, Sens. Reminds me a lot of the way Neidermayer plays in New Jersey (minus the skating). Never out of position, doesn't panic and makes everything look so easy you can't tell if he's working hard. Maybe that's why everone forgets him.

Forwards-
Jere Lehtinen- Stars. So how can a guy who wins the Selke be in here? Because no one seems to remember he scored 31 goals! Everyone rightly lauds him for his defensive play but forgets his offense. He's a Jari Kurri clone.
Steve Sullivan- Hawks. Left for dead by the infinite wisdom of Pat Quinn, he has shown he can play. Deceptive speed and a motor that will not quit I love watching this guy. Too bad to see him you have to watch the Hawks.
John Madden- Devils. The straw that stirs the drink. Deeper teams who play the Devils can usually match up pretty well with their first two lines, but have no answer for Madden. The guy can skate, hits anything that moves, can score and will absolutely suffocate your top forward. Absolutely infuriating to watch when he's not on your team and is killing you. Then the 3 stars roll around and he's not one of them.

No Respect.
Uh, if I'm not mistaken, Madden has also twon a Selke Trophy and Redden was sure in the mix for Team Canada this year.

Lehtinen is a Jari Kurri clone? I don't think so. Kurri was a sniper; Lehtinen is a balanced player. He's not regarded by the *average* hockey fan as a great player, but I don't think he's lacking for respect whatsoever.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

On these boards, there is no such thing as a Dallas Star who "doesn't get any recognition"...

As for my "all-underrated" team:

Pascal Dupuis-Jan Hrdina-David Vyborny
Mattias Ohlund-Karlis Skrastins

Jussi Markkanen

Old
09-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Uh, if I'm not mistaken, Madden has also twon a Selke Trophy and Redden was sure in the mix for Team Canada this year.

Lehtinen is a Jari Kurri clone? I don't think so. Kurri was a sniper; Lehtinen is a balanced player. He's not regarded by the *average* hockey fan as a great player, but I don't think he's lacking for respect whatsoever.
Anyone can be a sniper playing with Gretzky for most of your career!

Old
09-25-2003, 05:19 PM
bgumble184

Send a message via AIM to bgumble184
Norstrom

Old
09-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Looger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
On these boards, there is no such thing as a Dallas Star who "doesn't get any recognition"...

Jussi Markkanen
mattias ohlund?

come on! i'm from bc and i have never heard so much hype aboot a player that has accomplished so little as ohlund. he was downright dreadful when the team was losing, and now he's just another d-man on a stud blueline.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Redden gets too much recognition inj Ottawa, so I don't think he's underrated.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Didn't Kolzig win a vezina.....?

Old
09-25-2003, 05:37 PM
c-carp

Dangerfield team

Goal-Tomas Vokoun-Keeps the Preds competitive
Duane Roloson-Im wish the Blues would have kept him in Hinesight.

Defense

Adrian Aucoin-Eats minutes and is very solid
Brian Rafalski-Why do the Devs stay good they find players like this guy.
Jay McKee-Very Solid Stay at home guy
Dan Boyle-Adds offense
Barett Jackman-I Know he won rookie of the year, but what suproses me is tht there was even a debate given the meager numbers Zetterberg put up considering he is a forward. People say Jackman played with MacInnis and he did but they forget that Zetterbberg plyed with Hull and Datsyuk.
Kurt Sauer-A very important and overlooked part of the Ducks Run last year.

Centers
Mike Comrie-Another Star in Edmonton that is sometimes overlooked.
Rod BrindAmour-As solid of a no2 guy as there is again he plays on a team noone knows about.
Petr Cajanek-Will be Big for the Blues this year.
P.J. Stock-The Most exciting scrapper inthe league.

Left Wings
Eric Cole-Will become a dominant Power Forward.
Simon Gagne-I like this kid I think he will bounce back
Steve Konowalchuk-Great checker and Leader
Scott Thornton-Grit and Goals

Right Wings
Glen Murray-Will get you 40 goals
Martin St.Louis-Proves that the little man can succeed ala Theo Fluery.
Scott Young-20 goals and a very solid all around player.
Georges Laraque-He can score too guys not just fight.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Malefic74

Well I few there I had forgotten. To explain a few of my picks that were questioned:

I live in Edmonton, being out West I see or hear very little about Eastern teams (except the friggin Leafs) particularly the Eastern teams out of the States. So I hadn't really heard of Madden as anything but a modern Doug Jarvis until last years playoffs. Ditto Redden.

And as for Kolzig who won the Vezina in 2000, my point was that sense then when people say name the Top 10 goalies in the league he is seldom included and should be. Ditto for Lehtinen and right wingers. Not saying they aren't respected by other players or coaches just by plenty of fans.

As evidenced by the picks in more than a few of the drafts I have been involved with so far this season. In the last 3 drafts the earliest Kolzig went among goalies was 12th.

Also totally agree with Norstrom, Konowalchuk, Aucoin and Brind'amour. See? 3 more Eastern guys I don't get to see enough. God I need Centre Ice.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:39 PM
skariya18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Dangerfield team

Goal-Tomas Vokoun-Keeps the Preds competitive
Duane Roloson-Im wish the Blues would have kept him in Hinesight.

Defense

Adrian Aucoin-Eats minutes and is very solid
Brian Rafalski-Why do the Devs stay good they find players like this guy.
Jay McKee-Very Solid Stay at home guy
Dan Boyle-Adds offense
Barett Jackman-I Know he won rookie of the year, but what suproses me is tht there was even a debate given the meager numbers Zetterberg put up considering he is a forward. People say Jackman played with MacInnis and he did but they forget that Zetterbberg plyed with Hull and Datsyuk.
Kurt Sauer-A very important and overlooked part of the Ducks Run last year.

Centers
Mike Comrie-Another Star in Edmonton that is sometimes overlooked.
Rod BrindAmour-As solid of a no2 guy as there is again he plays on a team noone knows about.
Petr Cajanek-Will be Big for the Blues this year.
P.J. Stock-The Most exciting scrapper inthe league.

Left Wings
Eric Cole-Will become a dominant Power Forward.
Simon Gagne-I like this kid I think he will bounce back
Steve Konowalchuk-Great checker and Leader
Scott Thornton-Grit and Goals

Right Wings
Glen Murray-Will get you 40 goals
Martin St.Louis-Proves that the little man can succeed ala Theo Fluery.
Scott Young-20 goals and a very solid all around player.
Georges Laraque-He can score too guys not just fight.
Excellent picks with Aucoin, Thornton, and Murray. Murray slides under most fan's radar when thinking of some of the goal scorers in the league. 79 goals in the last 2 years.

Old
09-26-2003, 08:53 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Minnesota's prospects come to mind when you Roger Dangerfield's Favorite Team...

I mean they are in a very tight spot this year with so many solid rookies coming up and only 23 spots open for veterans and rookies alike. In a few years they are going to have a very solid group of rookies coming up that'll rock!

Old
09-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
OMFG.. this is coming from a fanbase that probably overates it's players to the most laughable degree possible? Then you even add Ohlund to your underrated squad?

Okaaaaaaay..

Old
09-26-2003, 10:24 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Well I few there I had forgotten. To explain a few of my picks that were questioned:

I live in Edmonton, being out West I see or hear very little about Eastern teams (except the friggin Leafs) particularly the Eastern teams out of the States. So I hadn't really heard of Madden as anything but a modern Doug Jarvis until last years playoffs. Ditto Redden.

And as for Kolzig who won the Vezina in 2000, my point was that sense then when people say name the Top 10 goalies in the league he is seldom included and should be. Ditto for Lehtinen and right wingers. Not saying they aren't respected by other players or coaches just by plenty of fans.

As evidenced by the picks in more than a few of the drafts I have been involved with so far this season. In the last 3 drafts the earliest Kolzig went among goalies was 12th.

Also totally agree with Norstrom, Konowalchuk, Aucoin and Brind'amour. See? 3 more Eastern guys I don't get to see enough. God I need Centre Ice.
If you can get it it is the best money a hockey fan can spend.

Old
09-27-2003, 05:54 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
The only one I can think of right off the top of my head (and mind you, this is Saturday morning, when the brain is not engaged properly) is Manny Legace.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:44 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:

Jussi Markkanen
i like this one.

i've always thought Hrdina and Ohlund were WAAAAAY underrated...

Old
09-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Mizral

My list:

Marco Sturm/Todd White/Steve Konowalchuk
Phillipe Boucher/Craig Rivet

Tomas Vokoun between the pipes

I suppose there are other underrated guys, but those guys came to mind immediatly, especially Sturm whom I feel is *still* underrated, even after I hopelessly hype him up around here for months.

Closed Thread