Notices

Flames Fanatic's Prospect Camp 2013 Final Summary

Old
07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

vCash: 1127
Flames Fanatic's Prospect Camp 2013 Final Summary

Alrighty boys and girls, this is it. Before I get started, please remember, this is merely my opinion, you’re welcome to disagree, ask questions, etc, but remember, its just a training camp, so don’t read too heavily into what I’m going to say, because lord knows I probably will myself. This list will be alphabetical.

#91 – Noel Acciari – C

I honestly didn’t notice him more than once or twice, and then he got injured falling awkwardly during a drill. So really, not a whole lot to say about him.

#94 Kenny Agostino – LW

Kenny was very much so a guy that really shined in scrimmages or during the drills that imitated plays that involved chasing the puck. Another guy who never stops moving, he also is gifted with a nice offensive skill set in both regards to his shot and to his ability to dance around with the puck. During the other drills however, I failed to notice him really at all. That being said, I can definitely see the skill and the drive to potentially be a bottom six player some day.

#92 Bill Arnold – C

One of my quieter favorites of the camp. This guy is built like a tank, and he plays like one, running roughshod over his opponents, all the while remaining a rock defensively. He also has some very solid hands when he chooses to use them. I specifically remember one deking move on a goalie that just made my jaw drop when I realized it was him. I think he could have been a darkhorse for making the team this year. I think he’s got the potential to be a Rich Peverly-esque player, where you can throw him into pretty much any sort of situation, whether it be the PK, Even Strength, or even potentially the powerplay. A very intriguing prospect for me.

#47 Sven Bartschi – LW

Now before I get into Bartschi much, I just want to bring up a point that Rob Kerr made that I agreed with when a fan asked if they should be worried about Bartschi’s performance in the camp. At 20, and getting really really close to being an NHL regular, it’s kinda hard to give it your all constantly in a camp like this, so don’t read too heavily into it. That being said, when Sven turned it on, there is not doubt that he was by far the best player in the camp. Watching him doing the skating drills was a real treat. Not only did he have the best edge control by a country mile, he has some of the smoothest strides and strongest legs out there. Offensively, we all know what he can bring to the table, so I won’t go into too much depth. All that being said, I cannot wait to see what kind of season he can pull together this year.

#40 Reto Berra – G

For me Berra was one of the nicer surprises in camp. He’s a big fellow, plays quite well positionally and holds his rebounds well. He even had several acrobatic scramble saves that looked quite pretty. He is definitely still acclimatizing to a North American ice sheet, as I did notice him losing his posts once or twice, but realistically that should be expected. One of my favorite goalies of the week, and that’s saying something, as I liked them all to varying degrees minus Hoffman. I definitely see him fighting for a spot come training camp, even if he doesn’t end up getting it. Berra has looked like a very shrewd pickup by Feaster and co.

#1 Laurent Brossoit – G

Laurent I didn’t get to see as much of as I wanted. He was a part of Group B with Ortio, and with only two of them, they didn’t really have to rotate as much. I did like what I saw however, as his quick glove and solid rebound control made me very impressed. It’s going to be an interesting goaltending battle for playing time this year.

#75 Austin Carroll – RW

Another invite, who at times stood out in some good ways for me. A big winger with size, and a pretty decent shot. His speed is probably above average for a guy his size. He never consistently managed to grab my attention though, and I did notice him get victimized more than once on a lot of the drills. I don’t think he’s going to get much more looks from the organization unless he manages to really wow at the prospect tourney. I could be wrong, but most people I spoke with didn’t seem to notice him that much either.

#67 Ryan Culkin – D

A guy who at times wasn’t very visible burst onto my radar when he absolutely demolished Horak with one hit when he entered the zone. After that I tried to keep an eye on him. He moves the puck quite well, as advertised, but I was quite impressed with his defensive games at times. He seemed to fair really well at times on the defensive drills. For a later round pick, I’m pretty pleased with his potential upside.

#95 Matt DeBlouw – C

Matt is another one of those guys that I really barely noticed at all. Every once and a while he’d show up during a drill or scrimmage and I’d be pleasantly surprised, but those moments seemed to be far and few between. I really don’t have much to say about him as a result
#45 David Eddy – RW

David was one of the guys that really caught his stride about halfway through the camp and finished incredibly strong. I don’t think I caught note of him more than once or twice during the first couple days, but by the end of today (Tuesday) he was making pretty plays left right and center. Some of the goals had me wowing. I know I’m not the only guy who he impressed as well.

#65 Turner Elson – LW

Well, he’s a gritty player that’s for sure. He managed to score some nice goals, and be involved in some nice plays. I’m not convinced of any upside beyond that though.

#79 Michael Ferland – LW

Oh Michael. What can I say about you? I really enjoyed watching Ferland play in this camp. He gave it his all constantly, and his wrist shot is still laser strong. He likes to cut to the net, and never, ever, ever, ever backs away from the physical stuff. A very emotional guy at times, because I heard him screaming the F bomb probably more than the rest of the guys and the coaching staff combined when he would mess something up. I honestly don’t know if his offense will ever translate to a higher level than junior, but I like to believe that with his skill set he’s at least got some solid potential to be a bottom six energy/fighter player.

#53 Johnny Gaudreau – LW

What can I say about the guy who has been in the spotlight for the entire camp? This guy is an absolute filthy beast offensively, and moves around the ice like a waterbug on the surface of the water, moving quickly and often faster than can be caught. He victimized a ton of guys playing D or goalies, and had way too many highlight reel goals to count, and countless other attempts that either didn’t work or were stopped. It’s really hard to believe he won’t have an NHL future some day even with his stature. Physically he definitely has bulked up a bit, and today HockeyMind9 and myself managed to figure he’s probably between 5’8” and 5’9”. I can’t wait to see him turn pro, because as long as he can bulk up properly for his size, I don’t see any way shape or form he can’t become a top six forward.

#82 Jon Gilles – G

Gilles is absolutely huge. No other word for it. He plays incredibly well, and I can understand the excitement behind him a lot more. He wasn’t perfect, no goalie was, but man oh man can we start getting excited about this kid. It just felt like he was never out of position, and his glove was lightning fast. I’m really excited to see if he can repeat last years success, and what he can do as the hopeful starting goalie of the WJC for the Americans.

#83 John Gilmour – D

I’m not sure if there was another player that went about doing his job as quietly as Gilmour did. I really had to look to find him at times. Not a whole lot to his game besides being solid defensively. We’ll see how he develops in the future.

#62 Coda Gordan – RW

I didn’t get to see as much of Gordan as I would have liked. Whether or not that’s because he just didn’t stand out enough or something else, I don’t know. He’s not the biggest player on the ice, and to be honest, in regular clothes he almost looked a little smaller if I’m remembering correctly (which I wouldn’t put money on), so some bulking up may not hurt. He’s got a shot, and he’s a decent passer, but I don’t think I recall him ever leading or making the play happen. Bit of a long shot, but not entirely surprising for such a late round pick.

#60 Markus Granlund – C

To be honest, I barely noticed him up until the first scrimmage. However, that first game seemed to flip a switch on him that apparently hadn’t been on before. He’s got NHL level creativity and his shot is probably the hardest and most accurate in the entire camp. I’ve said it before, but I believe any future success in the NHL will likely be on the wing, as he’s not the most physically ready guy. He needs to bulk up and get some North American experience, but I do expect to see him in the NHL someday.

#58 Ben Hanowski – RW

Hanowski is without a doubt in my mind one of our most NHL ready prospects. The weight he dropped significantly has increased his speed, but his awareness on the ice seems a lot better as well, not as scrambled and chasing the puck. He actually looked pretty good offensively, but I’m unsure how well that will translate, as that isn’t the biggest part of his game. He’s going to drive guys nets on the forecheck and grinding along the boards. I was really impressed with his devotion, as he is an older guy, but he was constantly talking with both his teammates and his coaches, trying to squeeze as much as he could out of this camp. One of the more vocal leaders, and I really hope to see him succeed at the NHL level sooner or later. Similar to Ferland in a lot of ways, the line of Ferland-Knight-Hanowski during the 3-on-3 halfcourt drills was incredibly difficult to beat physically. I see upside of at least a third line winger who can chip in from time to time, but also be responsible defensively. He very well could play a 4th line role as is right now in my opinion.

#97 Tim Harrison – RW

For a guy that nobody knew when his name was called, he’s gonna have a lot more fans after this camp. A very physical, non-stop motor kind of guy, his highlight of the camp was the Monday scrimmage, where even the people who didn’t know who he was or lacked an info sheet couldn’t stop talking about how impressive #97 was. I don’t know if he’ll ever be able to be an offensive threat, but he reminds me of Prust in a lot of ways, ways that coaches love. A very down to earth guy, and I really hope he has some success down the road. I made a point of getting his autograph and letting him know how awesome I thought he looked. A fair few media personalities that I spoke with had high regard for him as well.

#70 Brody Hoffman – G

The only invite goalie at the camp, and not to be rude to Brody, who gave it his all, but it showed at times. He had some decent days, but more than once he would completely lose his composure and had difficulties stopping even some basic shots. He was playing a little over his head at times, but that didn’t stop him from making some really solid saves at times. I don’t think he has any future with the organization beyond maybe the prospect tournament as a third stringer.

#21 Roman Horak – C

Now is a good time to remember what I said about Bartschi and not constantly having the drive to show your all during this camp for some of the older guys who have a little more NHL experience. At times Horak was completely invisible. But when he played like I know he can, he was easily amongst the best in the camp. It’s funny how his wrist shot is probably his greatest asset when we trade for him we were cheering because we had picked up Howse’s playmaker during his 50 goal season. I question whether or not having him at center long term will be best for him, as he seems a better shooter, which is a role that seems to do better along the wings. Time will tell I suppose.

#64 Ryan Howse - RW

Man, I remember religiously checking up how he was doing on HockeyDB every once and a while, because for a time, he was our most exciting goal scoring prospect. After a rough season last year, he did look noticeably better than when I’ve seen him in the past. That being said, I wouldn’t put money on him becoming an NHL player. His shot is his call to fame, and I rarely noticed it this camp. His skating was probably his most improved asset, and in regular clothing, you could definitely see he was in better shape. Long term it would not surprise me to see him let go after his contract is up. I hate to speak poorly about any guy, but if he can’t crack it offensively in Abbotsford early on, a move to the ECHL probably isn’t out of the cards.

#77 Mark Jankowski – C

A lot has been said about Jankowski in general, and how he’s grown physically, so I’ll not tarry to long on that. Offensively and defensively he’s grown leaps and bounds. I’m particularly excited to see how he does in college this year. He is better about being involved physically, and you can tell just by watching him how he reads the game incredibly well. His wrist shot is one of those guys that I think was probably top five in the camp. Very very pleased with him. I can finally see the potential in him.

#86 Josh Jooris – C

Right of the bat, he became my favorite invite from day one. He’s got a lot of attributes that make me like him. A lot of tenacity, battles for the puck, great skater, and a really good accurate shot. I’m hoping he at least gets offered an AHL deal, as he was easily the most consistent and biggest standout for me. I’m not sure if he has NHL upside in any role bigger than a Jesse Winchester utility style forward who is good at a lot of things, but none good enough to stick (if even that much), but I’d like to take a chance on him.

#73 Keegan Kanzig – D

Another guy who has had a lot written and talked about him since the camp started. I fell in love with him as a prospect from very nearly the beginning as soon as I saw how well he can skate, contrary to the initial reports. The very first set of drills were skating drills, and once he got comfortable doing them, he fit in just as well as everyone else. In fact, I’d even say very few of the other defensemen skated better than him. Physically, he’s a beast at his size which has been documented numerous times, but his defensive play was stellar, and he even made an effort to try and show that he has a bit of an offensive game too by joining in the rush during some of the drills and scrimmages. When he was feeling confident, there wasn’t much he couldn’t do. The only really big thing I see him needing to work on is passing, which is average at best. However, his work ethic is apparently how he’s improved his skating to the level it is, and I’m supremely excited to see how he develops in the future.

#52 Morgan Klimchuk – LW

A lot of guys say they didn’t consistently notice Klimchuk at this camp. I disagree whole heartedly. While offensively he showed some beautiful moves sometimes that would surely capture the attention, he consistently chased down the pucks, has a great shot, understands the game defensively and plays quite well physically. His speed was above average as well, and he used it incredibly well for a guy his age. Probably not the best comparison, but I see a lot of Glencross in his game. I’m really excited to see what he can bring in the future.

#10 Corban Knight – C

Corban is easily NHL ready in my opinion. Not the tallest of guys, he has a huge physical build for his size, and he uses it to his full advantage. One of the top three hardest wrist shots in the camp in my opinion, probably only second to Granlund based purely on what I saw at the camp. He takes faceoffs well, plays well along the boards, and he just never stops moving. I’m very excited to see what he can do at an NHL level this season. If he doesn’t make the team, I don’t see any way he’s not the first callup.

#61 Brett Kulak – D

Another one of those guys who didn’t stand out as much, but as I’ve said a couple times defensemen have a harder time standing out in this style of situation. Today was the only day that I would say he’s actually wowed me, but I’ve definitely noticed some improvements from past viewings on him, and I think he could still have some potential to continue growing in the future. Worthy of keeping an eye on for sure.

#98 Leonard Curtis – D

He may very well be my least noticed guy in the entire camp. I can’t even recall seeing him off of the top of my head.

#73 Trey Lewis – D

For those of us that watched the scrimmage on Saturday via the stream, Kerr had a lot of good things to say about Lewis. Myself, not as much. Definitely a character guy, who gave it his all throughout the entire camp, but at times was the victim to some of the higher skill guys at the camp. He’s not a bad defenseman, but I just don’t think he has the skills or the potential to grow into much more than he is at the moment.

#68 James Martin – D

Probably the most frustrating guy for me to watch. During the skating and shooting drills, he was a guy that consistently stood out for me. A great skater, who seemed to have some great hands. Then any time he got out there and had to actually play in a game or in a game like setting, he looked completely lost. Either over eager and jumping out of position or too slow to catch up on the play, he was easily the most victimized defenseman in the entire camp that I watched a lot of. There is little doubt in my mind that once his contract is up he’s gone.

#23 Sean Monahan – C

The first thing I have to say about Sean is his composure. This kid is a real gem of a personality. He’s been absolutely awesome with both the fans in media. He probably got close if not more attention than Sven, and he bore it all with a grin and laugh. The kids absolutely loved him, and he probably had more pictures taken with him than any other two players combined. He made a sincere effort every single day to make sure everyone who wanted to see him got that chance. I don’t want to put the weight on his shoulders, but it reminded me a lot of how Iginla presented himself to the public. A very exciting thing to see.

In terms of his actual skills, Sean lives up to the hype as well. A fantastic shooter and passer, anybody that he was paired with instantly became a better player. Defensively he was probably amongst the top five best forwards in the camp, if not the best. I couldn’t have been more impressed with this young man. While I’m not entirely sold that it’s the best idea for him to be rushed into the NHL, I don’t doubt that he could succeed in some fashion if he did make it. He seems intent to do exactly that, and I’m looking forward to continuing to watch him try.

#63 Drew MacKenzie – D

Unfortunately not a whole lot to write here. He didn’t ever really grab my attention in any good ways. A decent defenseman sure, but amongst the lower echelons of the guys who were in the camp for sure.

#96 Dan O’Donoghue – C

An invite whom never stood out for me either. A decent shot and a huge frame, but I don’t think there is much of interest there at this point and time.

#37 Joni Ortio

Probably one of the biggest surprises for me, but Ortio was probably one of the best goalies in the camp. He has easily the best reactionary saves of any of the goalies there, and he faced a lot of high quality shooters in his grouping. I’m super excited to see how his second time around in North America goes, because I think skills wise he’s got NHL upside, I really do.

#74 Padakin Pavlo – RW

Another invite player, Pavlo impressed at times, but rarely with any form of consistency. An above average skater with a solid shot, he also did quite well physically. I can’t say he grabbed my attention enough that I think we’ll see a lot of him in the future however.

#93 Linden Penner – RW

This one is going to be something of a decisive review for some, especially those that only watched the Saturday game. Saturday was the ONLY time I noticed Penner for longer than two seconds the entire weekend. I honestly can’t bring more than one or two foggy memories of him to mind beyond that game. I didn’t see a whole lot to his game that intrigued me.

#57 Emile Poirier – RW

Emile was probably the guy in camp that left me wanting more from him constantly. He’s got a great skill set, as we all know with crazy speed when he chooses to use it (which he didn’t really seem to during the camp), a solid shot, and a real gritty pest side to him. He showed flashes of absolute brilliance, but they were streaky at times. He definitely played his best hockey during the scrimmages and during drills that emphasized game like situations, as in 3 on 2’s or 2 on 2, that sort of thing, so I’m curious if he was just bored or slightly apathetic about some of the drills. Again, its just a camp so I don’t want to read into it too heavily, but I was left underwhelmed a bit.

#49 John Ramage – D

I really like Ramage’s game. Simple, elegant and he does it exceptionally well. Desite his one or two goals, including one in a scrimmage, I don’t think there is a whole lot of offense to his game. Defense is his bread and butter, and he does it really really well. That being said, I’m curious to see where his future is NHL wise. We have a need for a pure defensive D, but can he be more than a bottom pairing guy in the aspect is something that remains to be seen. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does in his first season of Pro.

#84 Eric Roy – D

I like that we picked him up in the 5th round, I really do. But I’m beginning to understand at least slightly why he did fall. While he did catch my attention for doing something really nice things every once in a while, I could go whole hours without seeing him. Mind you, defensemen in this sort of camp were much harder to appreciate, but offensively the skill is there. We’ll see long term if he can put it together.

#59 Max Reinhart – C

Didn’t get to see a lot of him, as he only started skating on Sunday. I won’t go too into depth here, as a lot of us have seen him play and know what to expect. Offensively he looked a little better compared to many of his peers than I remember him being in the NHL, purely in terms of hand and accuracy of his shots. He was pretty frustrated at times, so I’m wondering if he was still suffering from some sort of nagging injury.

#50 Patrick Sieloff – D

One of my favorite guys on the ice. He doesn’t have an off switch. He’s a dick, he knows it, he excels at it. He moves decently well, despite what one idiot kept ranting about, but his game is purely in his defensive abilities and his unsurprisingly excellence in getting under somebody’s skin. He was hitting, slashing, hooking, punching without regard the entire camp. I really hope he makes the NHL someday, because combine those skills with his hitting ones, and he’s going to be a very entertaining guy to watch.

#90 Bryce Van Brabrant – LW

A curious winger who at times I could go without noticing for whole days, but then in the scrimmages or a few drills would continuously impress him. Mondays scrimmage in particular he really impressed when he was paired with some high skill guys. A solid shooter who seems to know where to go when following the play. Despite not always noticing him, I would not be upset to see him get offered an AHL deal.

#56 Tyler Wotherspoon – D

Probably my favorite defenseman at the camp. He just skates so well, use his positioning and his stick so incredibly well that guys just can’t beat him defensively. He’s also bulked up a ton, he looks huge on the ice in comparison to his peers, very broad shoulders. His passing is really solid as well. I think he’ll be a solid transition defenseman with excellent defense if he ever makes the NHL. Very excited to see how his first year of Pro goes.

I think realistically, our forward prospect pool is looking really good. I wouldn’t be opposed to a few more top end centers, but otherwise the cupboards look stocked. Defensively we have a few solid pieces, and a few projects, so all we really need are a few high end ones. Goaltending blew me away with our depth. The competition for ice time at all levels of the organization are going to be fantastic.

Well, I think that’s all she wrote. Remember, these are just my impressions, I’m not saying X player will do Y, just my summarized thoughts on these guys after watching them for 7 days. I really hope you guys have enjoyed my thoughts on the camp, and I look forward to do this again next year. If nothing else it’s a great way to get autographs, as I got pretty much every Flames property prospect except for Agostino, Ramage and Gilmour’s autographs

Last edited by Flames Fanatic: 07-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:36 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Haven't read it all but Sven is 20 not 22.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Haven't read it all but Sven is 20 not 22.
Sorry that quote was originally in Horak's bit, and I failed to fix that after I moved it since the quote was about Sven and he came first alphabetically, but since Roman was in group A he got written up first. I'll fix it.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
First round bust

vCash: 500
Bill Arnold is declared for another season in college so he can't make the team or be called up until the ncaa season is done for his team, and sven is 20 not 22.

Last edited by Noori: 07-16-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: don't quote entire op plz
First round bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by First round bust View Post
Bill Arnold is declared for another season in college so he can't make the team or be called up until the ncaa season is done for his team, and sven is 20 not 22.
My apologies. I always forget that Arnold has another year simply because he was drafted the same year as Ramage, and in my mind if Ramage is done, Arnold should be. I'll fix it.

I suspect some people would appreciate it if you didn't quote my whole OP though, as it is a tad long lol.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:53 PM
First round bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
My apologies. I always forget that Arnold has another year simply because he was drafted the same year as Ramage, and in my mind if Ramage is done, Arnold should be. I'll fix it.

I suspect some people would appreciate it if you didn't quote my whole OP though, as it is a tad long lol.
Yeah I actually hadn't read it all before I responded, very good read all around for sure.

First round bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:55 PM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the write up guys! Appreciate the reads.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Wabbit

Thanks for all the hard work throughout this camp FF!!!! I really liked the above assessment of the prospect camp, and while i can only comment based on my attendance at the saturday scrimmage, i have to disagree with you (and others) on one player: Trey Lewis. Prior to camp, i had heard some good things about him from fans out east and thus, i made sure i watched him and i was very impressed. While he has room to grow offensively, he wasn't beat by anyone-fast, strong on the puck,elusive, made some good passes, and never backed down. I know he is 20 and probably won't make it but i like him nonetheless. Anyway, thanks again!

Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Thanks FF, this was great. Exactly what any fan would want to read and know about their team.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Dat analysis. Will read it thoroughly when I'm home but thanks as always for doing this.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Thanks for all the hard work throughout this camp FF!!!! I really liked the above assessment of the prospect camp, and while i can only comment based on my attendance at the saturday scrimmage, i have to disagree with you (and others) on one player: Trey Lewis. Prior to camp, i had heard some good things about him from fans out east and thus, i made sure i watched him and i was very impressed. While he has room to grow offensively, he wasn't beat by anyone-fast, strong on the puck,elusive, made some good passes, and never backed down. I know he is 20 and probably won't make it but i like him nonetheless. Anyway, thanks again!
Lewis was a very controversial guy for me. At times, his work ethic and determination allowed him to rise above for a little bit, but then a Granlund or a Bartschi would come along and make him look foolish, or he'd over extend himself. It was constant ebbs and flows with him in terms of impression. I really want to like him as both a person and a player, but I just don't know if I see the upside.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Holy **** you should start a blog

MC Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Holy **** you should start a blog
Thank you. I really wanted to start a career into sports journalism back in the day, so that means a lot to me. The actual academic level of journalism and I parted ways after just a year of it in university though.

Maybe I'll consider doing it once the season starts up. There might be a slight lack of material to write about for the next few months

Old
07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Fantastic read. You should consider a blog or something. Maybe writing for HF even.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:05 PM
MarkGio

You did a solid job FF, through and through. I especially appreciate your insight while contrasting the scrimmages with the drills. Im really looking forward to hear more during the prospect tourney, especially where there's improvement, where there's regression, and where they stack up against guys not on their team

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You did a solid job FF, through and through. I especially appreciate your insight while contrasting the scrimmages with the drills. Im really looking forward to hear more during the prospect tourney, especially where there's improvement, where there's regression, and where they stack up against guys not on their team
Prospect tourney is in Penticton I think, and sadly I don't think I'll be able to book it off

Hopefully they'll stream the games.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Prospect tourney is in Penticton I think, and sadly I don't think I'll be able to book it off

Hopefully they'll stream the games.
They didn't have' em last year because of the lock out, but they were streamed the year before I'm certain. Flames TV if I recall. Or Flames Sportsnet maybe. I know I watched some anyways and I sure wasn't in Penticton

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
They didn't have' em last year because of the lock out, but they were streamed the year before I'm certain. Flames TV if I recall. Or Flames Sportsnet maybe. I know I watched some anyways and I sure wasn't in Penticton
Thanks man. I need some form of hockey to tide me over until training camp

Old
07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Very well done, FF. I agree with many of your thoughts - didn't get down for as much of the camp as I would've liked but you nailed it on pretty much all acounts from what I did see.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
TychoFan

vCash: 215
Quote:
Thank you. I really wanted to start a career into sports journalism back in the day, so that means a lot to me. The actual academic level of journalism and I parted ways after just a year of it in university though.

Maybe I'll consider doing it once the season starts up. There might be a slight lack of material to write about for the next few months
Who needs a degree? You have all the skills needed, just look at how badly written some NHL.com articles are. >.> It was a very nice read, I am trying to find everything I can about the Flames prospects and this really helped.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Very well done, FF. I agree with many of your thoughts - didn't get down for as much of the camp as I would've liked but you nailed it on pretty much all acounts from what I did see.
I still can't believe my schedule fell the way it did that I managed to make it out for all days but Saturday. I understand why most people can't though.

Glad to see our HF writer is getting to see some of the prospects live though. Maybe next time send me a PM and we can chat in person if you go to another event like this (ie training camp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoFan View Post
Who needs a degree? You have all the skills needed, just look at how badly written some NHL.com articles are. >.> It was a very nice read, I am trying to find everything I can about the Flames prospects and this really helped.
Thanks Tycho. Even if I don't have the degree, I'm starting to chase some sort of career in hockey. Whether that's writing or something else remains to be seen.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:44 PM
jhoops89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Great analysis!! You're not a scout are you?

jhoops89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 218
Bang up job FF, really appreciated. I've enjoyed reading your analysis and thoughts on our prospects. Makes me feel almost like I'm there (stupid work).

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
#73 Keegan Kanzig D

Another guy who has had a lot written and talked about him since the camp started. I fell in love with him as a prospect from very nearly the beginning as soon as I saw how well he can skate, contrary to the initial reports. The very first set of drills were skating drills, and once he got comfortable doing them, he fit in just as well as everyone else. In fact, Id even say very few of the other defensemen skated better than him. Physically, hes a beast at his size which has been documented numerous times, but his defensive play was stellar, and he even made an effort to try and show that he has a bit of an offensive game too by joining in the rush during some of the drills and scrimmages. When he was feeling confident, there wasnt much he couldnt do. The only really big thing I see him needing to work on is passing, which is average at best. However, his work ethic is apparently how hes improved his skating to the level it is, and Im supremely excited to see how he develops in the future.
I couldn't get to Calgary to see the camp but from the scrimmages he looked more offensive than I ever saw him on the Royals. If he turns the corner offensively from this point forward this pick will be a huge steal as he has the frame and work ethic to become a dominating force. If finds his offensive game he could be a potential top 4 defenseman, if he can't I still think he can be a physical force that will be huge on the pk.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
Great analysis!! You're not a scout are you?
I wish. Watch hockey for a living? Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Bang up job FF, really appreciated. I've enjoyed reading your analysis and thoughts on our prospects. Makes me feel almost like I'm there (stupid work).
My pleasure guys. I know I wasn't the only one there all week, I managed to recognize a few others that had been there that I don't think work in the organization/media outside of HockeyMind9, but without knowing how much you guys would enjoy it, I wouldn't have the motivation to do it.

Unless I became a pro scout and sign a confidentiality agreement to help keep a teams draft list quiet. Then you guys are on you're own

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I couldn't get to Calgary to see the camp but from the scrimmages he looked more offensive than I ever saw him on the Royals. If he turns the corner offensively from this point forward this pick will be a huge steal as he has the frame and work ethic to become a dominating force. If finds his offensive game he could be a potential top 4 defenseman, if he can't I still think he can be a physical force that will be huge on the pk.
Kanzig just blows my mind at how good he was for a guy freshly drafted and was anticipated to go in the later hundreds. I love his attitude, and his skating is something he's obviously worked on. Even if his offensive side never shows up consistently, I can easily see his ceiling potential wise being of a Hall Gill in his prime but much more fleet of foot. And I don't usually like to compare prospects to current players, as I find its unfair to the prospects themselves, but with certain guys its hard not to.