HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Clifford on the block

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2013, 01:34 AM
  #1
Flamesfan102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
Kyle Clifford on the block

Quote:
Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 37m
League source tells TFP Kings Kyle Clifford will be shipped out of LA but Habs are NOT in mix in prospective deal "No chance to MTL"
If I am the Oilers or Flames, I would jump at this in no time. Exactly the type of player either Alberta team needs. Oilers need it more so but being a Flames fan, hopefully Feaster can snag him.

Flamesfan102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
  #2
N o o d l e s
Registered User
 
N o o d l e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
Montreal is stupid. He's exactly the type of player they need. But by all means, keep adding George Parroses, I guess.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:43 AM
  #3
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,933
vCash: 50
I'd love him in Vancouver. Probably in the minority here but I'd ship fellow RFA Chris Tanev for Clifford.

__________________


"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 AM
  #4
jeffl97
Registered User
 
jeffl97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
We took Penner, give us Clifford too ! Also think he'd be a great fit in Philly

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 AM
  #5
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
I'd love him in Vancouver. Probably in the minority here but I'd ship fellow RFA Chris Tanev for Clifford.
Are you kidding?!? And replace Tanev with who? I'm sorry but I would lose all hope in Gillis if he trades Tanev.

keslerburrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 AM
  #6
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Perfect fit for EDM. Young player with toughness that can not only fit in with their youth movement, but also fill a huge need of theirs

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:02 AM
  #7
Paper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
I'd love to have him on the Flames, but not at a cost they are probably asking for. The Flames already have an abundance of wingers and while his game is a bit different, he's not an upgrade on Glencross or Jones for sure while Galiardi already could have a spot on the fourth line depending on who all makes the team. I'd obviously rather have Clifford over say Jackman, but the Flames can't afford to overspend (divisional rival now...) on what could be a fourth liner. Unless they are getting him for close to a fourth round pick like they got Galiardi (and from the sounds of Oiler fans who are willing to offer much more it's unlikely), I'd pass. Unless maybe Sutter wants some of his draft picks back....we still got Nemisz

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:06 AM
  #8
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,920
vCash: 500
Replacing Clifford with Carcillo makes very little sense to me, but whatever.

Wasn't Clifford basically supposed to be their Simmonds replacement according to some of their fans? He just doesn't have the offensive talent.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:10 AM
  #9
Paper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Replacing Clifford with Carcillo makes very little sense to me, but whatever.

Wasn't Clifford basically supposed to be their Simmonds replacement according to some of their fans? He just doesn't have the offensive talent.
I don't know what Clifford contracts demands are, but Carcillo at 825K is probably going to end up being cheaper. For a team closing in on the cap, they might feel it's worth it to downgrade but save some cap space.

But I agree, not enough offensive talent to move assets for from the Flames perspective. They probably don't need depth for a long run this spring

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:10 AM
  #10
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Are you kidding?!? And replace Tanev with who? I'm sorry but I would lose all hope in Gillis if he trades Tanev.
Corrado. I firmly believe Corrado is ready to take the next step to the NHL. Like I said I'm likely in the minority I like Clifford a lot and feel Tanev is overrated by Canucks fans.

33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:13 AM
  #11
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Would love him in Tampa, could really need his physical style and I bet he would get at least 30 points per season in Tampa, just perfect 3rd liner, especially if we are able to ship Malone out of town.

Would you guys have interest in Ondrej Palat (NHL ready, great defensive play, at least 3rd liner, but not that physical) and maybe a later pick?

Ah stop, before I offer something, is he good in his own end as well? Or is he just a physical 3rd liner?

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:18 AM
  #12
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,345
vCash: 500
Why on earth would you acquire Carcillo and then ship Clifford out? Clifford is twice the player Carcillo is at this point. Pre injuries Carcillo was better but not these days.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:32 AM
  #13
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island
 
Oh Snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Why on earth would you acquire Carcillo and then ship Clifford out? Clifford is twice the player Carcillo is at this point. Pre injuries Carcillo was better but not these days.
Stop assuming Carcillo is going to be any more than the role Brad Richardson had for this team (Press-box/filler). Clifford became expendable because we have kids in the AHL looking to make an impact that fill the same role he does. Andy Andreoff for example is having a stellar rookie camp right now and people are already penciling him into our opening night roster. I would love to keep Clifford, but if his asking price is too high, our hands are kind of tied with the cap.

As of now, this is how I see our roster going without Clifford.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Frattin - Richards - Carter
King - Stoll - Toffoli
Andreoff - Lewis - Nolan

ex: Fraser/Carcillo

Now depending on what Clifford's return will be if we do trade him, that lineup might change a bit.

Oh Snap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:40 AM
  #14
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,789
vCash: 500
This really saddens me, as I have such a tremendous respect for Clifford. Best of luck wherever he goes, though.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:41 AM
  #15
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
Montreal is stupid. He's exactly the type of player they need. But by all means, keep adding George Parroses, I guess.
Maybe Montreal doesnt have anything LA wants in which Montreal is willing to part with. Of course, why use logic like this. Its easier to call people stupid then realize deals take into both teams wants and valuations of players.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:44 AM
  #16
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Corrado. I firmly believe Corrado is ready to take the next step to the NHL. Like I said I'm likely in the minority I like Clifford a lot and feel Tanev is overrated by Canucks fans.
Okay so that leaves us Edler, Garrison, Juice, Hamhuis, Corrado and... Weber? That is down right awful and knowing the injuries this time manages to pile up during the season on the back end.. Makes 0 sense.

Tanev has been the one constant stud on or defense the last couple years, AND he is young, durable and still has potential upside. Same can be said about Clifford BUT we need Tanev around 100x times more than Clifford.

keslerburrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:49 AM
  #17
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Snap View Post
Stop assuming Carcillo is going to be any more than the role Brad Richardson had for this team (Press-box/filler). Clifford became expendable because we have kids in the AHL looking to make an impact that fill the same role he does. Andy Andreoff for example is having a stellar rookie camp right now and people are already penciling him into our opening night roster. I would love to keep Clifford, but if his asking price is too high, our hands are kind of tied with the cap.

As of now, this is how I see our roster going without Clifford.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Frattin - Richards - Carter
King - Stoll - Toffoli
Andreoff - Lewis - Nolan

ex: Fraser/Carcillo

Now depending on what Clifford's return will be if we do trade him, that lineup might change a bit.
If that's the case then all well and good but if Carcillo was acquired to fill the same role I think it's a bad call. You know more about the Kings than me though so I'll take your word for it that Carcillo is just there for depth purposes.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  #18
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 14,002
vCash: 500
Clifford's play just hasn't taken the next step so many of us Kings fans had hoped, he started the year off well but by the end of the year he was playing poorly and not providing much in the physical/intimidation department. He had no business being in the NHL and expected to fight as a 19 year old, the concussions seem to have really gotten the better of him. He is at this point, a 4th line forward on a team loaded with 4th line forwards, add to the fact that he is an unsigned RFA who probably still has some trade value and it's obvious why he is moving on.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:57 AM
  #19
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Okay so that leaves us Edler, Garrison, Juice, Hamhuis, Corrado and... Weber? That is down right awful and knowing the injuries this time manages to pile up during the season on the back end.. Makes 0 sense.

Tanev has been the one constant stud on or defense the last couple years, AND he is young, durable and still has potential upside. Same can be said about Clifford BUT we need Tanev around 100x times more than Clifford.
We have the cap space to obtain a bottom paring D-Man or two. I'm high on Clifford and believe he has the same upside as Kassian, while I believe Tanev although good is vastly overrated by the fan base. I'd like to see Tanev play non sheltered minutes before anointing him a "defensive stud"

33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:57 AM
  #20
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Are you kidding?!? And replace Tanev with who? I'm sorry but I would lose all hope in Gillis if he trades Tanev.
You still have faith in Gillis? wow

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:03 AM
  #21
dresi
Registered User
 
dresi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Would you guys have interest in Ondrej Palat (NHL ready, great defensive play, at least 3rd liner, but not that physical) and maybe a later pick?
I would do it

dresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:03 AM
  #22
33
HFBoards Sponsor
 
33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
You still have faith in Gillis? wow
Much, much more than I ever had in Nonis.

33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:06 AM
  #23
laforest
Bound to be soon.
 
laforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
To Philly? I dont know maybe something around Read, Meszaros or Coburn?

laforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:08 AM
  #24
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Much, much more than I ever had in Nonis.
I just thought after the Luongo saga Canuck fans were turning on Gillis, not to mention hiring Torts

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:10 AM
  #25
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Okay so that leaves us Edler, Garrison, Juice, Hamhuis, Corrado and... Weber? That is down right awful and knowing the injuries this time manages to pile up during the season on the back end.. Makes 0 sense.

Tanev has been the one constant stud on or defense the last couple years, AND he is young, durable and still has potential upside. Same can be said about Clifford BUT we need Tanev around 100x times more than Clifford.
Tanev is our one consistent stud? stud? not because of his offence or physical play or 17 minutes per game I'm guessing.

He's been capable, NHL ready but hasn't been anything close to a stud. His 2 goals and 10 points in 102 NHL games isn't stud like.

He's been a good third pairing d-man, nothing more.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.