HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Clifford on the block

Old
07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
KingCanadain1976

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
To be fair there's a tad bit of difference between a franchise cornerstone like Doughty and a solid role player like Clifford.
Not saying there isnt All i was pointing out was Deans view on offersheets

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
the amateur scouting staff of the Oilers just read your post and simultaneously submitted their resignations. If your 1st rounders are the only thing you care about, hell, Pierre McGuire can tell you who to draft in the 1st round, you don't need scouts.

Oh wait, the Oilers like all NHL teams spend millions of dollars scouting in Europe, Canada & the US and their scouts haven't resigned their jobs? Then I guess the assumption can be made that the Oilers DO actually care about more than their 1st rounder.

Hell you just had a draft where you made 10 draft picks, including trading down to acquire more from LAK. Doesn't look like a franchise that doesn't like picking in the draft to me. In fact 3 of EDMs last 4 drafts they made 9 or more picks.

I highly doubt EDM wants to lose their 3rd rnd pick having already traded away #2 & #4 for a 3rd or 4th line player.

Wouldn't matter, I can't imagine DL wouldn't match a 3rd round pick compensation contract. Kings have other players they can move and Cliffy is worth more to the Kings than any other NHL club.
If the Oiler scouts didn't resign after reading that post can we just fire them instead? Either way works for me.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
the amateur scouting staff of the Oilers just read your post and simultaneously submitted their resignations. If your 1st rounders are the only thing you care about, hell, Pierre McGuire can tell you who to draft in the 1st round, you don't need scouts.

Oh wait, the Oilers like all NHL teams spend millions of dollars scouting in Europe, Canada & the US and their scouts haven't resigned their jobs? Then I guess the assumption can be made that the Oilers DO actually care about more than their 1st rounder.

Hell you just had a draft where you made 10 draft picks, including trading down to acquire more from LAK. Doesn't look like a franchise that doesn't like picking in the draft to me. In fact 3 of EDMs last 4 drafts they made 9 or more picks.

I highly doubt EDM wants to lose their 3rd rnd pick having already traded away #2 & #4 for a 3rd or 4th line player.

Wouldn't matter, I can't imagine DL wouldn't match a 3rd round pick compensation contract. Kings have other players they can move and Cliffy is worth more to the Kings than any other NHL club.
We have some solid prospects but not as many as we should given the sheer number of picks that we've made since the '10 draft. That said we had a different mandate from Tambellini for our scouts than we do from MacT. Tambo wanted size and MacT wants skill. So besides our 1st round picks we don't have much pure skill from the '10-'12 drafts. Whereas this year we added a fair bit of skill. I full believe that by trading down we tried one last time to stock the cupboards while we go hunting for players that can help us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Not saying there isnt All i was pointing out was Deans view on offersheets
No worries, I can see why a GM would be pissed with an OS especially when it's one of your elite players.

07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If the Oiler scouts didn't resign after reading that post can we just fire them instead? Either way works for me.
Good point, but they do like to make picks at the draft. To think otherwise is nonsense. They're not close enough to a cup to be trading picks to plug holes.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Asher

Quote:
Good point, but they do like to make picks at the draft. To think otherwise is nonsense. They're not close enough to a cup to be trading picks to plug holes.
That true, but there's a little more going on than you may be aware. They have the dubious distinction of having the longest current streak of years missing the playoffs (7). They've also sold every ticket to every game during that span, while charging one of the highest ticket prices in the league. After years and years of this crap, the fans have grown restless, a sentiment I would say MacT tried to turn to his advantage during his first conference, calling himself "an impatient man" who was going to make "bold" moves in an effort to improve the team quickly. Trading a draft pick for an established player would not be nearly as controversial a decision as you might think, especially with the fans. And it would certainly fit in with what MacT promised when he took the job.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
First off I said Oiler fans don't care about the picks other than 1sts. The Oilers have selected 37 players in the drafts from 2010-2013. Passing up on a 3rd in 2014 for a real NHLer would be a no brainer.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Trading a pick to plug a hole with a young bottom 6 guy in order to get some playoff experience would be more than worth it.

I'd rather the kids get a taste of the playoffs soon so they know what to expect when it comes around again.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Yeah the Oilers like draft picks, but you know who doesn't care about picks? The Leafs.

Ask and you shall receive!

Spazmatic Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:33 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Bob Stauffer said he'd be "shocked" if LA traded Clifford to the Oilers. He thinks this is a ploy to get Clifford to accept less on a deal with the threat of being moved out of LA.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
First off I said Oiler fans don't care about the picks other than 1sts. The Oilers have selected 37 players in the drafts from 2010-2013. Passing up on a 3rd in 2014 for a real NHLer would be a no brainer.
again...I'd agree but you dont have your 2nd or 4th picks...youd be picking in the 1st and 5th rounds. that's what cup contenders are willing to do. And by the way, youd have to hope to sign KFC to a 3rd round compensation pick contract. he'd have to agree to that. if he wants more, you wouldnt want him and you couldnt have him with no 2nd round pick to give up. youre gunna have to trade for him if you want him..

Old
07-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Bob Stauffer said he'd be "shocked" if LA traded Clifford to the Oilers. He thinks this is a ploy to get Clifford to accept less on a deal with the threat of being moved out of LA.
The Kings don't have the cap space even if he took a discount, not to mention he has no where to play where he isn't being wasted or has his development hindered.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
again...I'd agree but you dont have your 2nd or 4th picks...youd be picking in the 1st and 5th rounds. that's what cup contenders are willing to do. And by the way, youd have to hope to sign KFC to a 3rd round compensation pick contract. he'd have to agree to that. if he wants more, you wouldnt want him and you couldnt have him with no 2nd round pick to give up. youre gunna have to trade for him if you want him..

Old
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
It's also what teams that have selected 37 players in the last 4 drafts do.

Don't worry though, I don't think MacT will be sending out an offersheet. Offering the 3rd+ in a deal, I could see. But I think the Kings would prefer to keep Clifford and ditch other guys instead.

I think this Clifford talk is much ado about nothing.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:58 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Best news I've read today for sure. I really don't want to see him go.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:04 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The Kings don't have the cap space even if he took a discount, not to mention he has no where to play where he isn't being wasted or has his development hindered.
I think he could handle 3 lw spot easy. I think hes alot better offensively then king.

frattin kopitar william
brown richards carter
clifford stoll toffolli
Carcillo / king fraser/Lewis lewis /nolan

Old
07-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
I think he could handle 3 lw spot easy. I think hes alot better offensively then king.

frattin kopitar william
brown richards carter
clifford stoll toffolli
Still there's the cap space problem. I love Clifford, but I'd rather keep Lewis and Nolan. I'd still trade King and Fraser before Clifford.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:13 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
Still there's the cap space problem. I love Clifford, but I'd rather keep Lewis and Nolan. I'd still trade King and Fraser before Clifford.
Not really 9 defenseman to me screams trade or at trying to get some to the ahl. This would open open the space we need. Amartinez for a 2nd and ellerby to the ahl. It would open up 1.9 million i think. Althou im not opposed to tradeing nolan or fraser hell both would give up more picks in the draft for sure.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:20 PM
CDJ*

Krug or Bartkowski for Clifford.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Trolfoli

Quote:
When re-building it's not good to get rid of all your picks... having said that if you can get a player like Clifford for a 3rd round pick you do that every time... the chances of getting someone on Cliffords level in the 3rd round is going to require some luck... or you could take the sure thing..

Keeping Clifford would be nice, I just don't see how he doesn't get an offer somewhere between 1.5-2M With Lewis getting a bump and trying to leave a small buffer with the cap it's going to be difficult to come up with the cash.

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

frattin kopitar william
brown richards carter
clifford stoll toffolli
Yeah, but nobody is going to let him play there. He has no where to effectively play from Sutter's perspective, even if he could technically handle it.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Don't worry Fraser doesn't do ****. He's all bark and no bite now. Some Kings fans disagree but I think he's useless.
This is exactly how I saw him in Edmonton. He runs his mouth all over the ice but is useless when it comes to the physical play and fighting. It's actually embarrassing.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Yeah, but nobody is going to let him play there. He has no where to effectively play from Sutter's perspective, even if he could technically handle it.
I disagree i think hes shown he can be efffective there. Sutter just needs to get over his bromance with king and realize king isnt a 3rd line player and clifford is a better option. I still sorta hope carcillo will fail his physical and kyle signs cheap.

Old
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
dillyboy93

Some random twitter chatter of a rumoured deal between LA and Edmonton of Clifford for Pitlick+Moroz

dillyboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
Some random twitter chatter of a rumoured deal between LA and Edmonton of Clifford for Pitlick+Moroz
I hope it was a drunk guy and not a legit source

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
I disagree i think hes shown he can be efffective there. Sutter just needs to get over his bromance with king and realize king isnt a 3rd line player and clifford is a better option. I still sorta hope carcillo will fail his physical and kyle signs cheap.
Well, that's what I am saying. I am taking Sutter's will into consideration. If Clifford remains in LA, the asset will be wasted, because Sutter will not play him where he needs to be played. If I were the coach, I'd trade King and play Clifford, but we aren't going to trade King, therefore we have to part with Clifford.