HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Clifford on the block

Old
07-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I just thought after the Luongo saga Canuck fans were turning on Gillis, not to mention hiring Torts
Didn't like the way the goalie situation was played at all, but I understand the rational of it. Luongo's contract seemed unmovable so bringing in a player like Horvat and keeping Luongo who's essentially a wash with Schneider made some sense. Loved the Torts hiring.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose!
Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man I don't know what I'd want Edmonton to offer for him, but I'd LOVE it if Edmonton landed Clifford.

3rd rounder and a prospect would hopefully be Edmonton's offer. I don't see our main trade pieces working into L.A's plans because of how much cap space they have.

I'm surprised Clifford is up for trade. If Edmonton lands him and plunks him on the 3rd line... damn. We Oil fans will be in for a treat. Big young and phyiscal.

Can someone please get me Mac-T's phone number? I gotta talk to him about this!

How much would Clifford be after? North of 1.5M? 2ish? Man. Crossing fingers right now.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Acquiring Carcillo...and trading Clifford...

Yeah I get that Clifford has sort of stagnated and whatnot...but dude...Carcillo.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:29 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
How much would Clifford be after? North of 1.5M? 2ish? Man. Crossing fingers right now.
I think this may be the issue why he is likely gone.

Statistically, he had a decent season, but he got worse as the season went along, by the time the playoffs rolled around he was IMO the Kings least impressive player most nights.

The thing with Clifford is, he needs to be a physical and aggressive player to be able to play in the top 9, he has decent hands but is a disaster defensively and takes ridiculously stupid penalties at bad times. I thought during his rookie year he could be one of those guys that you could put with a couple of skilled players and he would be able to compliment them well, after the Kings tried that numerous times this year, having him with Carter/Richards and Kopitar I am not so sure that Clifford has it between the ears to be any more than a 4th line tough guy with above average hands (for a tough guy)

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Tanev is our one consistent stud? stud? not because of his offence or physical play or 17 minutes per game I'm guessing.

He's been capable, NHL ready but hasn't been anything close to a stud. His 2 goals and 10 points in 102 NHL games isn't stud like.

He's been a good third pairing d-man, nothing more.
Tanev is fantastic in his role, and hopefully for his price, I would not trade clifford for him even though I like clifford.

Tanev is a very reliable defender who can even slot in our top 4. So when he said consistent stud, clearly he was referring to his defensive responsibilities, in his role even though it has been bottom pairing minutes, he has done his job consistently well for someone making a small wage.

Yea he does not put up points, but when bieksa and edler are trying to rack up points and missing defensive assignments you will be the first to complain about them.

Tanev is an ideal player in the role we have him in, as long as he stays reliable in his own zone and can continue to make good passes he is exactly what we need as 5th, and possible 4th fill in defender when someone is injured. The kings have the best shutdown D in the league imo when healthy, we dont need to bolster their bottom pairing in our division next year by sending them tanev.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 07-17-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
The King wouldn't trade for a defenseman anyway when they have nine of them.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:43 AM
SLarmer28

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/2013-14-sa...ation-schedule

Jordan Nolan and Trevor Lewis of the Los Angeles Kings are scheduled for arbitration. Surprised Kyle Clifford did not file for arbitration.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
And especially not another right handed one. My post was mainly in response to the canuck fans arguing we can trade tanev in theory for someone like clifford.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I'd love to add Clifford and he could help to make our bottom 6 a little more respectable. That said we dealt our 2nd in the Perron trade so perhaps some prospects would interest LA? Guys like Musil, Gernat and Simpson on D, a guy like Anton Lander who plays C, or maybe even a guy like Toni Rajala who is small but has a lot of skill and had a very solid AHL rookie season. We'd need to add to any one of these guys in all likelihood.

07-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Would they deal one of them along with Clifford to Edmonton if the price was right?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:49 AM
Koto

what would kings fans expect for him?

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:05 AM
Face Wash

I think if a trade market opens up for Clifford with the Kings you're looking at multiple picks likely a 2nd or 3rd being one of them. Or a 2nd and a mid-level prospect.

It's a shame. Kings fans love the guy, but this cap situation makes it tough to maintain complete continuity like they had been.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:20 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
MacT would be bat**** crazy not to go after Clifford, he would be the perfect acquisition for this club. I'd be willing to overpay to get him in Oiler silks.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Maybe Montreal doesnt have anything LA wants in which Montreal is willing to part with. Of course, why use logic like this. Its easier to call people stupid then realize deals take into both teams wants and valuations of players.
Exactly!

The only reason that Montreal could be ruled out is if they were the ones pushing to make a deal but both sides couldn't come to an agreement.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I just thought after the Luongo saga Canuck fans were turning on Gillis, not to mention hiring Torts
Just the typical bandwagon rage you hear about every time anything something bad happens in Vancouver.

And quite frankly, most people are ecstatic about Torts.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:49 AM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan102 View Post
If I am the Oilers or Flames, I would jump at this in no time. Exactly the type of player either Alberta team needs. Oilers need it more so but being a Flames fan, hopefully Feaster can snag him.
Flames and oilers are now in the kings division, so I doubt that is where he will go.

archangel archangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Flames and oilers are now in the kings division, so I doubt that is where he will go.
Not true... just might cost them a little more.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Habitant le colon

Oh there a trade .... Eklund :«their will be more to come...»

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Jacko95

Offered Palat and a late rounder, but somebody mentioned Clifford is terrible defensivly, so I would not be willing to trade Palat for him.

Would you have interest in Tom Pyatt and a 4th?? Costs only 600k, great PKer, 16 points in 43games this year, great defensivly and a great locker room guy (quit, if he has to sit out), gives always 110% and plays all 3 forward positions good.

I know this sounds like the perfect bottom liner and some might question, why I even throw in a 4th rounder, but for some reason Pyatt never got any recognition for his work and has no future after his contract expires with the Lightning, as he is not though enough for the bottom line (with an as soft lineup as we have we need physicality there badly) and not good enough offensivly for our third line, as Palat, Johnson and Brown/ Panik/ Connolly/ Purcell all have superior offensive games.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:30 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Corrado. I firmly believe Corrado is ready to take the next step to the NHL. Like I said I'm likely in the minority I like Clifford a lot and feel Tanev is overrated by Canucks fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Are you kidding?!? And replace Tanev with who? I'm sorry but I would lose all hope in Gillis if he trades Tanev.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:31 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
Montreal is stupid. He's exactly the type of player they need. But by all means, keep adding George Parroses, I guess.

Montreal is stupid??

without knowing all the facts you just assume Montreal is stupid.

Maybe LA is asking far too much?
Maybe LA isnt interested in what the Habs have offered?
Maybe The Habs have plans for another player??

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
but somebody mentioned Clifford is terrible defensivly, so I would not be willing to trade Palat for him.
Kings are one of the top-3 or 4 defensive teams in the NHL for many seasons now. Kyle Clifford is the only player in Lombardi's tenure who has been rushed to the NHL and he's missed 7 regular season games in 3 years. Do you honestly believe on a top defensive team he'd be playing that much if he wasn't an effective back checker?

Whoever said he was bad defensively doesn't know what they're talking about at all. Darryl Sutter doesn't give ice time to poor defensive players. They sit or get sent out...period. In all likelihood they wouldn't even be brought up in the first place. Over 3 years, Clifford has rarely if ever been benched and is a career minus-14 which says a lot considering he's 22-years old and has never played a regular shift on a top-6 (scoring) line.

Clifford is as responsible defensively as any winger the Kings have. It's a shame if they trade him. They shouldn't.

Old
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
what would kings fans expect for him?
I think he's worth more than the #35 pick. And before anyone scream their heads off about losing a "high" draft pick, since 1997 only 3 players selected with the #35 choice have played more than 100 games in the NHL: Brad Winchester, Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Kyle Clifford. So I think its safe to say that he's better than an average #35 choice

So as far as the Kings will want? Well given the cap space remaining and the RFA that still pending contracts, I think it will be something of little to no cap space in return. So maybe a 2nd and a prospect or something like that

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
SFKingshomer

I don't buy the rumor.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Loved the Torts hiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
And quite frankly, most people are ecstatic about Torts.
Don't be.

Just wait till your defensemen start throwing the puck around the boards when there's any sort of pressure by the other team. It's the start of a lot of the problems we had.

Rangers would be interested in Clifford. We're getting a little soft. Would a 3rd and Powe do it? Actually, that's probably underpayment. Maybe a 2nd? Pyatt might need to go the other way just for salary reasons.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote