HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan Perrott

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 04:13 AM
joe blow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by w17glen
1st of all PONIKAROVSKY sucks what does he do? as for bealk i love him he is a true heavyweight , as for PERROTT get rid of fitzgerald, reichel or renberg and make room for this guy at least he will stand in front of the net
I definately have to disagree with you that Ponikarovsky sucks. I have been watching him every night for about three years now (as long as he has been in St. John's) and he should have been in Toronto long ago. He has a great shot, excellent hands and is a real smart hockey player. He is also strong on the puck and lays a decent hit every once in a while. His only problem is his skating is a little weak. To me he is identical to Antropov and has very SIMILAR potential. I think he deserves a chance in TO.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:40 AM
sluggo*

I think the biggest advantage to having Perrott play so well is that it makes Tucker that much more expendable. I always thought (and still do) that guys like Holden could fill his role on the team if they traded him, but after his preformance during the pre-season no one can claim that Perrott can't fill that role. If the leafs do trade Tucker for a defenseman (and they still need to, and it wouldn't susprise me if they do) then Perrott can easly fit on the Leafs 3rd line and be their agitator. The guy has shown that hes fearless, hits hard, isn't scared to drop the gloves and was able to great a couple scoring chances. And for those people who want to keep Tucker because of his age, Perrott is a year younger.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I think the biggest advantage to having Perrott play so well is that it makes Tucker that much more expendable. I always thought (and still do) that guys like Holden could fill his role on the team if they traded him, but after his preformance during the pre-season no one can claim that Perrott can't fill that role. If the leafs do trade Tucker for a defenseman (and they still need to, and it wouldn't susprise me if they do) then Perrott can easly fit on the Leafs 3rd line and be their agitator. The guy has shown that hes fearless, hits hard, isn't scared to drop the gloves and was able to great a couple scoring chances. And for those people who want to keep Tucker because of his age, Perrott is a year younger.
Perrott can fill Darcy's shoes? Not a chance.

1. Would Perrott be able to fill in on the first line as Tucker did last year?
2. If Nieuwendyk and Antropov go down, would you feel comfortable with Perrott centering the 2nd or 3rd line?
3. Would Perrott be able to take a regular shift on the PK?
4. Will Perrott ever score 59 points in a season?
5. Is Perrott a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL?
6. Does Perrott have the ability to check the top scorers in the game?

Old
09-29-2003, 08:07 AM
sluggo*

1) Perrott won't NEED to fill in on the first line, and how long did Tucker stay ont hat line? He had one or two good games and moved because he couldn't cut it there. Hes a third liner.

2) Thats Reichels job, not Tuckers. Last year when Antropov did go down it was Reichel that got moved up, not Tucker. You also can't build your team around "what if" injuriies. What Sundin and Mogilny both get hurt, do the leafs have another 70-80 pt a season superstar player? No, but that doesn't mean they need to go out and get one.

3) I doubt the Leafs would need him too, but I don't see why not.

4) Tucker isn't a 20-25 goal scored in the NHL. He normally gets somewhere between 15-20 goals, and I have no idea if Perrott could make that, but the Leafs have enough fire power up front that its not a major concern like their defense is.

5) I would say so.

See Leaf Army there are two things you fail to reconize. First the leafs defense still needs to be upgraded and second you get something for free. This "magic" trade where the Leafs only give up Renberg or Berg or Reichel for a top defense isn't going to happen. To get that top defense the leafs need to give up something of value, and Tucker has value. He can be replaced by guys like Holden and Perrott, will they do the job as well, probably not but they can do it, Tucker isn't Sundin where moving him would hurt the team to a point that they couldn't recover from it. They still need a good top defense, and Tucker is the best option they have to get one, and given Perrotts and Holdens preformance in camp, hes that much more expendable because they can fill in that 3rd line spot that he has.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
1) Perrott won't NEED to fill in on the first line, and how long did Tucker stay ont hat line? He had one or two good games and moved because he couldn't cut it there. Hes a third liner.

2) Thats Reichels job, not Tuckers. Last year when Antropov did go down it was Reichel that got moved up, not Tucker. You also can't build your team around "what if" injuriies. What Sundin and Mogilny both get hurt, do the leafs have another 70-80 pt a season superstar player? No, but that doesn't mean they need to go out and get one.

3) I doubt the Leafs would need him too, but I don't see why not.

4) Tucker isn't a 20-25 goal scored in the NHL. He normally gets somewhere between 15-20 goals, and I have no idea if Perrott could make that, but the Leafs have enough fire power up front that its not a major concern like their defense is.

5) I would say so.

See Leaf Army there are two things you fail to reconize. First the leafs defense still needs to be upgraded and second you get something for free. This "magic" trade where the Leafs only give up Renberg or Berg or Reichel for a top defense isn't going to happen.
Perrott has a couple good preseason games and now you think he's a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL???

I mean I've been impressed with Perrott too...but come on. He might be a good injury fill-in this year.

You originally stated that Perrott could easily replace Darcy Tucker, but that clearly is not the case.

As for "magic trades" you're the one who seems to think that Tucker is going to land us a #1 defenceman.

You keep bringing up these phoney Tucker for Hamrlik deals. Or Tucker for Brewer . It's not gonna happen.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:35 AM
nordique

vCash:
Perrott is a poor man's Belak.

That ain't sayin' much.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:45 AM
sluggo*

As I said TUcker isn't a 20-25 goal scorer, hes around a 10 - 15 or so goal scorer whos hit a few hights. Perrott can replace him on the 3rd line as an agitator (which is what Tucker is).

And don't blame me that the Islanders and Oiler have both wanted Tucker in return for top NHL defensemen. Again, even Bill Waters talked about both deals on Leafs Lunch today - the Islanders wanted a package where TUcker was the center piece and the Oilers wanted Tucker straight up for Niinimaa, he has a high trade value.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
As I said TUcker isn't a 20-25 goal scorer, hes around a 10 - 15 or so goal scorer whos hit a few hights. Perrott can replace him on the 3rd line as an agitator (which is what Tucker is).
I asked, "Is Perrott a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL?"

You responded, "I would say so."

Old
09-29-2003, 01:29 PM
sluggo*

But he wouldn't be replacing one, so whats the big deal.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:35 PM
McFly

Quote:
Theres more BS that i didnt include....

Give me a break!

If you think a fighter like Perrott can replace a guy like Tucker, you're nuts! The guy is obviously turning up the volume to impress Quinn and Co. to make the team. That's nice that he can fight but come on! You're really underestimating and insulting Tucker when you say he or Josh Holden can replace him! Yes Tucker has had his moments (the Sens bench, Rob Ray) that would make you dislike him, and yes he underachieved last year. Maybe he overachieved in 2001-2002, but he IS capable of consistently scoring 20+ goals and did so for three consec. seasons before last yr. Tucker also brings the over-talked-about "intangibles" such as a great gritty game, toughness, fearlessness and an attitude of hard work that rubs off on teammates. Don't forget how versitile the guy is - can play lines 1-4, checking or scoring role, LW, C and RW, PP, PK. Can Perrott do that? I doubt it. So Perrott is NOT a replacement nor should ever be considered! That's asinine. Thanks

Old
09-29-2003, 02:40 PM
sluggo*

Tucker isn't a goal scorer, hes an agatitor, and more often then not he DOESN'T scorer 20 or more goals a year. Like I have said before, its not that I want to unload Tucker, its that the leafs NEED defense help, and Tucker is their most valuable, most expendable player to trade, that means to improve the defense he will most likely have to be moved. And yes Holden can score goals and play on a 3rd line, and Perrott would be a very good agtatior replacment for Tucker. The fact that both have preformed well in the pre-season just make TUcker that much more expendable.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:50 PM
McFly

Quote:
Tucker isn't a goal scorer, hes an agatitor, and more often then not he DOESN'T scorer 20 or more goals a year. Like I have said before, its not that I want to unload Tucker, its that the leafs NEED defense help, and Tucker is their most valuable, most expendable player to trade, that means to improve the defense he will most likely have to be moved. And yes Holden can score goals and play on a 3rd line, and Perrott would be a very good agtatior replacment for Tucker. The fact that both have preformed well in the pre-season just make TUcker that much more expendable.
Oh i know that he's a valubale asset. And I think Perrott could come in and play a 4th line role and be an agitator. But I disagree that he can REPLACE Tucker and everything he brings out on the ice. Contrary to what you think I believe he is a goal scorer, but he just isn't required to play that role. He can be either a scorer or an agitator. I think that if we want a defenseman then Tucker will have to be included. As you can tell I'm a huge Tucker fan, but I realize that he will likely have to be dealt if we want to improve.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Epoch

Perrott is a checker. I wouldn't really call him an agitator. He plays with intentsity and when he throws his weight around is usually very clean. I see him as a 3rd or 4th liner.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:10 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i like this guy perrott

and i havent even seen him yet

Old
09-29-2003, 03:31 PM
sluggo*

"I see him as a 3rd or 4th liner."

Which is what Tucker is. I'm a huge Tucker fan too, but hes a checker and an agitator, not a goal scorer. At the start of last season Quinn gave him the chance to prove he was a goal scorer by putting him with Sundin and Mogilny, and unfortunatly he failed, hes not a goal scorer.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Which is what Tucker is. I'm a huge Tucker fan too, but hes a checker and an agitator, not a goal scorer. At the start of last season Quinn gave him the chance to prove he was a goal scorer by putting him with Sundin and Mogilny, and unfortunatly he failed, hes not a goal scorer.

The MAD line was broken up because they were brutal defensively,not because Tucker never produced offensively.They scored alot of goals but also happened to have alot of goals scored against.I think everyone on the line was a minus when they were together.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:26 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

they could lose him in the waiver draft eh

Old
09-29-2003, 04:35 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
they could lose him in the waiver draft eh

Yeah they were just talking about that on the radio. With all the league GM's at the game tonight and Perrott having such an amazing game, one of them may be tempted to take a chance on him.

Do we have enough room to protect him? I hope so, but dont think so.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:47 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

the gm meeting is probably to create a code of silence agreement for the waiver draft.

nobody takes nobody

Old
09-29-2003, 05:35 PM
wasting time

He had a great game. I seriously don't know what JF is going to do now. Should be interesting.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:51 PM
sluggo*

"The MAD line was broken up because they were brutal defensively,not because Tucker never produced offensively"

They did for a game or two, after that they went into a dive and didn't did score anything for like 5 games, so Tucker got bounced.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:00 PM
sluggo*

Hell, Stajan had 2 pts last night (though I didn't see the game so I don't really know how well he played - if he earned them or not) but Quinn is giving him a really good and long chance to prove he belongs, he coul dbe the guy to replace Tucker.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Hell, Stajan had 2 pts last night (though I didn't see the game so I don't really know how well he played - if he earned them or not) but Quinn is giving him a really good and long chance to prove he belongs, he coul dbe the guy to replace Tucker.
I like Stajan alot. I think this kid is going to be our hidden gem. On another note Perrott I think could easily take over Belak's roll as the teams enforcer and the comment on Perrott being a poor man's Belak is absolutly insane. Not only can perrott fight but he hits and he can play the game more then you could say about Belak. Now I am not a Belak hater but you would have to agree that on a regular basis he hurts this team more then he helps, simply with his play and stupid Penalties. I saw quite a few SJM games last year and I have to admit i think Toronto should let Belak walk and bring up Perrott as he's more then ready to step in and be given his shot.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:47 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

the kids that do well in camp get rewarded as the first callups for injuries and playoffs

Old
09-29-2003, 06:58 PM
sluggo*

p.i.f - and sometimes they get open spots on the roster, or show managment that they can make a trade because they can step up.

Closed Thread