HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Are you over Game 7 yet?

Old
07-18-2013, 01:42 AM
pucci2001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
To quote Loops,

"That hockey game will haunt me until the day I die..."
Yep.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
I was over it the next day for the most part. I'm expecting the Leafs to learn from this terrible experience and play with a huge chip on their shoulders next season.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:38 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
The way Kadri's face lit up on that 4th goal, and the look of distraught Gards + Reimer had after the OT goal are like cemented in my brain.

That being said, I haven't thought about the game since the playoffs have been over. It's a clean slate once October comes around, and I hope they take that experience and learn from it for this upcoming season.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:57 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
The way some of the posts here read, it seems there are some very grief stricken people and I thought to myself 'What can I compare this to?'

So I recalled visiting my brother-in-law who did 3 tours in Afghanistan, watched 2 of his buddies run over an IED in the vehicle in front of him and explode. He was the first one to be at their side providing first aid but sadly he was unable to save them. That was his first tour and he's been back there twice more. I recall how quiet and reclusive he's become since those tours have ended and how my sister and their 2 children do everything they can to try and help him have a normal life, and it dawns on me....

Some of you people need to grow the hell up and see that there are much bigger issues in the world than a damn hockey game. GET OVER IT!!!

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
mashedpotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Some of you people need to grow the hell up and see that there are much bigger issues in the world than a damn hockey game. GET OVER IT!!!
Anyone disputing this? No one's suggesting that hockey is bigger than world issues.

What you need to understand and somehow I doubt you will but I enjoy watching you struggle with this is - this isn't the world issues forum - in case you've forgotten where you've logged into, it's a hockey forum.

Get off your horse and let people talk about relavent hockey related issues in a hockey forum?

mashedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:30 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
The way some of the posts here read, it seems there are some very grief stricken people and I thought to myself 'What can I compare this to?'

So I recalled visiting my brother-in-law who did 3 tours in Afghanistan, watched 2 of his buddies run over an IED in the vehicle in front of him and explode. He was the first one to be at their side providing first aid but sadly he was unable to save them. That was his first tour and he's been back there twice more. I recall how quiet and reclusive he's become since those tours have ended and how my sister and their 2 children do everything they can to try and help him have a normal life, and it dawns on me....

A sad story, my condolences. But, this is completely irrelevant.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

i'm just going to put this out there.. we cant be comparing real life situations to sports, this is just like the whole beaten to death "hero" argument, as most of us know that sports athletes are not the real hero's out there, this is a whole different level that should not be compared..on a sports level this like lupul will haunt me forever, just like my first road game i ever did still haunts me, i remember my dad counting from 5-4-3-2-1 and then having the habs score on the leafs to win the game in the last second at the MTL forum, same kind of **** it will be in your head forever, but thats only from a sports perspective

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
looks like a butt hurt bruins fan
What did the Bruins losing to the Blackhawks have to do with the Leafs? Seeing that happen and being happy about it doesn't factor in to being a Leafs fan, it factors in to hating the Bruins. It didn't ease the pain for me when the Flyers lost to the Blackhawks the year of the 3-0 collapse, it eased the pain when the Bruins swept the Flyers the next year and won the Cup. The Leafs have to redeem themselves for this, not have someone else fight their battles for them.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
What did the Bruins losing to the Blackhawks have to do with the Leafs?
I think it shows that it can happen to anyone, even very experienced recent cup winning teams like the Bruins.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Cor
GOAT Poster

vCash: 50
THERE WAS NO GAME 7 WE LOST IN GAME 6 BY A SCORE OF 3-1 Okay!

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I think it shows that it can happen to anyone, even very experienced recent cup winning teams like the Bruins.
More importantly....it shows that the better team usually wins...similar to the Leafs/Bruins...in the Cup Final..the best team won. And losing that in game 6 to a more formidable team..not even close to the Leafs colllapse..couple that with a recent SC victory and the real possibility of returning the Final next year for Boston....its truly a pathetic stance for Leaf fans...

I don't understand it myself...but I guess when you are a loser...you look to find solace in other peoples misfortunes instead of focusing on what you can do to become a winner. The Bruins losing in the fashion they did to the Hawks really doesn't do anything for the Leafs collapse as a team. It only makes the odd immature fan happy because of their disdain for Boston.

Look at it this way..if some young gun came and took your job for less money thereby forcing you out of your home to become an alcoholic homeless drug addict..would it benefit you to know that the guy who replaced you got fired down the road as you scrape through the garbage looking for your next meal?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:

You have to realize, sports in general are a way out for people. When the stresses of life get high, often time people fall back on sports. And that is the cool thing about it. When I watched the Leafs in the playoffs, nothing else mattered when the game was on. It was me, and the Leafs. Going head to head with the Bruins in our first trip back to the playoffs in 9 years. Going down 3-1 in the series. Fighting back to make it 3-3. Having a 4-2 lead with 2 minutes left. 4-3 lead with 50 seconds left. To OT we go.

There were no car payments, rent payments, work the next day. There were no family troubles, sickness and recent deaths. It was me, and the Leafs.

Like Billy Beane once said, "it's hard not to be romantic about baseball" and it's the same thing with every sport. You know, I don't say "The Leafs signed Clarkson!" I said "We signed Clarkson. Like i'm apart of the organization. And I know many others do.

You telling people to grow up, is just plain wrong. The majority of the fans in Sports are grown up.

These sports are just 3 hours on a Tuesday Night, that they can escape reality, escape everything, and just be a fan of their favorite sports team.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Kibago

based on last night's ESPYs, no, apparently I'm not.
and neither is Joffrey Lupul.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Mr Scarface*

These memories always stay with me and with us. Never forget. It'll also make people enjoy even more in the future as we remember this one. Of course I'm not over of those Sundin Thomas Tucker Domi games against ottawa, islanders and hurricanes ether. That's why I enjoy the success even more in the future and hurray for everything. It's great.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The Velvet Hammer

"We can move on, but we must NEVER forget this."

This is a perfect type of collapse for a young team, hopefully their character and heart/fight went up 50 times, so they always fight hard and dont let this happen again.

at the end of the day, i didnt even think (beginging of the season) that we would make the playoffs. Then i thought it was gonna be a short series and we fought back and fought to 7 games...

really there were some negatives, but i feel that, that playoff had so much they learned from, being down in a series, blowing a lead, playing your game you win, be smart.. IMO that series provided A LOT of personal and professional growth from our players...

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:20 AM
fahad203

Steve Smith once scored on his own net to loose a series. Poor guy was crying in the penalty box and bench.

Apparently that was the turning point for the Oilers, who went to dominate the 80s.

It happens. It will happen again. Move on.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedpotato View Post
Anyone disputing this? No one's suggesting that hockey is bigger than world issues.

What you need to understand and somehow I doubt you will but I enjoy watching you struggle with this is - this isn't the world issues forum - in case you've forgotten where you've logged into, it's a hockey forum.

Get off your horse and let people talk about relavent hockey related issues in a hockey forum?
I like my position up here on my horse. I think I'll stay thanks

There's nothing relevant about harping on a game that is well over and done when there's a new season to get ready for. I prefer to look ahead, not dwell on the past but hey keep on reliving it. Maybe one of these times it will change for you.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Had a rough couple days, one of the DJs on the radio told all the listeners to "Hug A Leafs Fan" the day after it happened.

So had to bore through a bunch of ribbing...

After about a week though, I thought about how Boston had their epic collapse against Philadelphia (up 3-0 in series, up 3-0 in 1st period of game 7, lost 4-3) only to go on to win the Cup the following season... And I felt better.

Then Bolland scored that 3rd period goal in game 6 of the final, and I just felt cleansed.

Then we acquired Bolland and I thought... [expletive] Yeah!

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:27 AM
The Velvet Hammer

Quote:
I like my position up here on my horse. I think I'll stay thanks

There's nothing relevant about harping on a game that is well over and done when there's a new season to get ready for. I prefer to look ahead, not dwell on the past but hey keep on reliving it. Maybe one of these times it will change for you.
theres nothing relevant about comparing hockey to war....

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:31 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Hammer View Post
theres nothing relevant about comparing hockey to war....

Really? I hear references to war all the time in hockey "battle in the trenches", "I'd got to war with that player anyday", "It's like a war out there on the ice". Even Don Cherry makes special references to the soldiers and sailors both past and present during coaches corner. Somebody ought to tell him to stop that.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:
Really? I hear references to war all the time in hockey "battle in the trenches", "I'd got to war with that player anyday", "It's like a war out there on the ice". Even Don Cherry makes special references to the soldiers and sailors both past and present during coaches corner. Somebody ought to tell him to stop that.
Those are turns of phrases

People aren't ACTUALLY comparing hockey to war Can't believe that had to be said

Old
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
StuckOutHere

I listened to the game on the radio. To this day, I still haven't seen video of the end of this game. Can't do it.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Those are turns of phrases

People aren't ACTUALLY comparing hockey to war Can't believe that had to be said
Well it kind of diminishes or demeans the sacrifices made by those who actually go to war..I ask you this....and I might get slapped for this but I am only trying to make a point here...

If the Defending cup champs beat up the Florida Panthers in a regular season matchup by a score of 12-0...is it okay for the announcer to say that it was the worst slaughter since the Rwanda genocide?

Or would that be out of bounds?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Well it kind of diminishes or demeans the sacrifices made by those who actually go to war..I ask you this....and I might get slapped for this but I am only trying to make a point here...

If the Defending cup champs beat up the Florida Panthers in a regular season matchup by a score of 12-0...is it okay for the announcer to say that it was the worst slaughter since the Rwanda genocide?

Or would that be out of bounds?
What do you think?

If you honestly think anyone thinks that hockey is like "a war in the trenches" because of a reference.... man.

Also, saying "i would go to war with that guy" is totally different then comparing something to a ****ing genocide.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
CellarDweller0

I did UNTIL you had make this stupid post and remind me of it again.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote