HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who is the modern day Keith Tkachuk(mid-late90s)

Old
07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Who is the modern day Keith Tkachuk(mid-late90s)

Mainly focusing on his latter years in Winnipeg and his whole time in Phoenix. Not his time in St. Louis

They say power forwards are harder to find in today's game. Makes it difficult to find a close comparison.

While a modern day Keith Tkachuk won't have to do all the things he did back in the 90s..... but he would still have the traits of being tough to play against, good hands in front of the net.

He retired three years ago, so it's not an outrageous comparison.

Keith Matthew Tkachuk

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Nobody unless you want to call Milan Lucic a poor man's Tkachuk.

I guess Corey Perry but Keith was the best forward on his team while Perry isnt.

The power forward has kind of died.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:47 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Nobody unless you want to call Milan Lucic a poor man's Tkachuk.

I guess Corey Perry but Keith was the best forward on his team while Perry isnt.

The power forward has kind of died.
Yeah But Perry was the best player in the league while Kieth wasn't.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Yeah But Perry was the best player in the league while Kieth wasn't.
Probably one of the weakest Hart wins ever, not to mention it was an outlier year. He hasnt even come close to that level in any other season. Crosby was the best player that year anyways.

No way Perry wins a Hart in the 90s.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Probably one of the weakest Hart wins ever, not to mention it was an outlier year. He hasnt even come close to that level in any other season. Crosby was the best player that year anyways.

No way Perry wins a Hart in the 90s.
No, but peak Tkachuk was not going to take it from Perry either. I dont think Perry is that much worse really and he still has some time to build on it.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:52 AM
saillias

Look at the invite list to the team USA Olympic camp and take your pick. Lots of guys that play the game that way.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Dany Heatley... he could have been so much more....
(both were only twice among the top-two at their position) each demonstrated more skill than heart.,..

I expected so much more of each given their clearly EVIDENT skill level, but at least Heatley had a puppy-like car accident excuse for his lack of meeting his potential...

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Noutaja

^^^What on earth is wrong with his left eye!?

Last edited by Killion: 08-02-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Bandwidth...
Noutaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Thesensation19

David Backes?

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
No, but peak Tkachuk was not going to take it from Perry either. I dont think Perry is that much worse really and he still has some time to build on it.
What? I'd take Tkachuk's 96/97 and 97/98 seasons over anything Perry has ever done.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
What? I'd take Tkachuk's 96/97 and 97/98 seasons over anything Perry has ever done.
Tkachuk probably had the better career until age 28, but i for one think Perry are better defensively at least when compared to Tkachuk back then. And lets not fool ourselves, Tkachuk was no Neely.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

re: tkachuk vs. perry, peak you'd have to go with perry imo. perry was a much better playmaker and defensive player, while putting up similar raw and adjusted goals totals. in that one year, perry also made his teammates better (getzlaf, whom he carried back from injuries; a career assist year from ryan; even arguably visnovsky) while i never thought tkachuk ever got more out of his linemates than the next guy would have.

prime, it's tkachuk, who was very consistent for a four year stretch, which perry hasn't yet touched.

as for contemporary comparisons, i don't think there's a player like him in the league today with his combination of high end scoring ability and toughness and mean streak. he was flat out dominant in front of the net for almost his entire career, and early on he was also hell on the forecheck.

but tkachuk's shortcomings have been well established by this point. his most impactful playoffs were arguably his first two, when he was most mobile, and even though the goals weren't quite there yet, to my eyes he was harder to contain. later on, as he became more one-dimensional, but also more lethal at that one dimension, he became easier to shut down or at least neutralize in the playoffs. if you had an adam foote or chelios (or even mattias ohlund), you just assigned him to tkachuk and that was the series. if you look at tkachuk's best playoffs in his prime, it was always against the teams without a big steady guy who could handle him (or a smaller maniac like chelios/konstantinov). bertuzzi was much the same when he was in vancouver.

and of course defensively prime tkachuk was a complete non-factor, if not a liability, and his playmaking ability was almost bondra-level.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noutaja View Post
What on earth is wrong with his left eye!?
In 2004 while playing for SC Bern during the Lockout he was struck in the
eye with a puck, required surgery, but the pupil was left permanently dilated.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Canadiens1958

Others

Jarome Iginla is still around from Tkachuk's contemporaries, as is Shane Doan. Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin have certain power forward attributes.

Taylor Hall has potential as he matures and fills out. Chris Stewart if he finds consistency, Dustin Brown if he does not wear out - plays bigger than he is.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 08:36 AM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Corey Perry

08-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Big Phil

You know, I liked Lucic's comparison the best. He doesn't score with the same frequency as Tkachuk but he has a lot of similarities. Shoots left, very physical player, temper, good fighter and feared fighter (actually I think Lucic is the better fighter), scores a lot of his goals through power, etc. Both big at 6'2" or 6'3" and 225lbs. Both get a lot of penalty minutes.

Lucic has had a 30 goal and 62 point campaign and he may not be at his best yet. Tkachuk had 50 twice, so Lucic needs more in that category. But I think this is the best comparison. Perry is too skinny in my mind and relies on his stickhandling rather than his brawn. I'd call him a very weak power forward but I'd certainly call Lucic a legitimate power forward.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:24 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You know, I liked Lucic's comparison the best. He doesn't score with the same frequency as Tkachuk but he has a lot of similarities. Shoots left, very physical player, temper, good fighter and feared fighter (actually I think Lucic is the better fighter), scores a lot of his goals through power, etc. Both big at 6'2" or 6'3" and 225lbs. Both get a lot of penalty minutes.

Lucic has had a 30 goal and 62 point campaign and he may not be at his best yet. Tkachuk had 50 twice, so Lucic needs more in that category. But I think this is the best comparison. Perry is too skinny in my mind and relies on his stickhandling rather than his brawn. I'd call him a very weak power forward but I'd certainly call Lucic a legitimate power forward.
i think there are a few guys who play tkachuk's game, but don't have the high end scoring ability. lucic is probably the best example. hartnell is another one, not quite as big, and definitely not a 50 goal guy, but he has that crucial bully mentality that many biggers guys like, say, chris stewart doesn't show consistently.

i think that's the thing with tkachuk, and other guys of that generation-- guys like tkachuk and k. stevens and neely and lindros were born with that mentality where they could outmuscle anyone. lucic has that rare trait. smaller guys like tocchet decided that you could play like you were 6'3/225 if you just outworked the other guy enough, and i think hartnell is like that too. but you look at these big huge, skilled but inconsistent guys like bertuzzi, johan franzen, chris stewart, where i think it isn't in their personality. at times, they can psyche themselves up -- one imagines them looking in the mirror before the game going, i'm a power forward, i'm an elite specimen, i can lick any sob in the house -- and play to their size. but it's something they have to "put on," instead of something they do naturally, so we don't see it for large stretches.

for this reason, i'm very curious to see what we have in zack kassian, whether it's a neely (unstoppable bully always), or a bertuzzi (unstoppable bully when his mind is in the right place), or a jim sandlak (reluctant bully, occasionally), or a taylor pyatt (you have to stab him with a cattle prod).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
You'd have to hold your hands over your eyes and pretend 2010/11 did not exist for that to make any sense.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Right now I'd say Perry but it could be Jamie Benn 2 or 3 years from now.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote