HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-bob...or-the-flyers/

It's going to be a kick in the balls and one of the main reasons that I want Holmgren out as GM. Sure he's made some good decisions here and there, but his bad ones have been atrocious. If Bob wins the Vezina it's gonna leave a pit in the stomach of most Flyers fans.

Were any of you OK with the idea of trading Bobrovsky in the first place? We saw flashes of brilliance and I really wanted him to be the goalie of the future, but obviously upper management had other ideas.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
RussianRocket10

I'd be happy if he won the Vezina.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I would blame Homer (if you can't blame Snider) more for the Bryz contract than the Bob trade. Bob apparently wanted out if not given an opportunity here so there's not much you can do there.

There's so many unknown variables with the Bob trade right now to where you can get an accurate read on it. Bob had a great season definitely Vezina worthy but it was a short season. We've seen many goalies have great seasons early in their career and fall off (Mason, Carey, Raycroft, etc.). I'm not saying Bob will do that but I kind of want to see him do it again so I can a good read on him.

We also acquired picks for Bob that turned out to be goalie Anthony Stolarz (2nd round pick) and forward Taylor Leier (4th round). If either of these guys turn out to be something (especially Stolarz) wouldn't that kind of negate this trade?

So for those reasons I wouldn't jump the gun on the Bob trade. I'm not totally against firing Homer either but not because of this trade.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Incredibly wrong, it wouldn't be like that at all.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm more angry at Snider for this move. The entire Bryzgalov contract/ordeal has his fingerprints all over it. In reality, we probably sign Bryzgalov anyway because we apparently were bidding against ourselves considering what other goalies went for in that market, but it's for a smaller price, and less term. I was for giving Bobrovsky a chance after he was jerked around in the playoffs, but circumstances were different and it's hard to blame them. Our defense was led by Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen, who were both #1 defensemen, and an emerging superstar in Claude Giroux. We were elite goaltending away from being serious cup contenders, and that window was closing fast with Pronger and Timonen's age. It didn't look like Bob could be that guy within the window, so they made a move. It didn't work.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:55 PM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post

It's going to be a kick in the balls and one of the main reasons that I want Holmgren out as GM. Sure he's made some good decisions here and there, but his bad ones have been atrocious. If Bob wins the Vezina it's gonna leave a pit in the stomach of most Flyers fans.

Were any of you OK with the idea of trading Bobrovsky in the first place? We saw flashes of brilliance and I really wanted him to be the goalie of the future, but obviously upper management had other ideas.
I thought most people simply expected it to happen. This one is on Snider as much as it is on Homer, as Bob's chances of being our goalie going forward were done as soon as we signed Bryz, the move that Snider pushed for. I don't think they had much choice in the matter. They couldn't bail on Bryz 1 year into that contract. Bob would have continued as back-up. They were always going to choose Bryz.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
You have to look at the context at the time of the trade. Bob was coming off a good regular season and an awful post-season. At that point in time, with no hindsight, I'm willing to bet a large majority of GMs would do the same thing. He could have just as easily been a flash in the pan (and still may be at this point).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
moosehead81

Bobrovsky looked like he had some talent and a future his first year 2010-11; 28 wins,13 losses in 54 games but like Richards and Carter and perhaps JVR later, Laviolette and management lost confidence in him and looked at supposedly greener grass over the hill. Even if he doesn't win the Vezina, my guess is he's going to be around a long time and play a significant role with whatever team he plays with during his career. Reminds me a bit of Nikolai Khabibulin, who came in relatively unheralded with the old Winnipeg Jets in 1994-95and ended up playing for some good teams and some not so good teams winning a Stanley Cup and 2 Olympic gold medals. Bobrovsky may do better but I'm damn sure Bryzgalov won't.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
The Couturier Effect

Bob wanted to start. He wasn't going to get that here, so we gave him what he wanted. Was is the right move? No, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm happy for him. I really don't think he would be having the same success here.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
IIRC, most people on here were glad of the return we've had for Bob.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You have to look at the context at the time of the trade. Bob was coming off a good regular season and an awful post-season. At that point in time, with no hindsight, I'm willing to bet a large majority of GMs would do the same thing. He could have just as easily been a flash in the pan (and still may be at this point).
Awful post-season was not necessarily his fault. They treated him very poorly in that run and still, for whatever reason, trusted Michael Leighton in net over Sergei.

I know the argument that he wanted to start, but we should have given him that opportunity and used the extra cap space to get a defense that could play in front of him this past season. Instead we used it on Bryz (who isn't a bad goalie), but you can't expect the numbers he had in a defensive system like Tippett's was in Phoenix. Don't think Lavy has every played a "defense first/offensive second" type of game, so you'd need to have top notch defenders for him to achieve close to the success he had with the Yotes. We just didn't have those type of defenders.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:

At risk of raking up all those old leaves, how many atrocious decisions has he made? Bobrovsky doesn't seem to have worked (Stolart might be good though) but what else? He had no say over Bryzgalov.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Bobrovsky winning the Vezina with the Blue Jackets would mean very little, as he was never going to win the Vezina with the Flyers.

It was a risky trade at the time--if Bob put it together, it was always going to look back in hindsight. But let's not pretend that that was inevitable.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Ryker

Who cares whether he wins the Vezina or not, it doesn't change ANYTHING. The season is already over for him, we've seen how well he played, so get your whining and crying over and done with, no need to repeat the entire process in a month.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
You're leaving out a huge chunk of context: His undeniable talent and potential and young age, meaning he had lots of time to put it together.

05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're leaving out a huge chunk of context: His undeniable talent and potential and young age, meaning he had lots of time to put it together.
But he also needed consistent, relatively pressure-free playing time to put it all together, which he was never going to get here.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
This is a chuckle while sipping on the beer compared to the roost-full of eggs everyone had on their face last year when the Kings won the Cup. If anything happens, it will be a culmination of a series of events, not just this one. Big Ed's not going to hang Holmgren by his toes, because this was yet another repercussion of his "this will never happen again" goaltending mandate.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
But he also needed consistent, relatively pressure-free playing time to put it all together, which he was never going to get here.
Because they signed Bryzgalov.

Edit: What I mean is, they went with someone who was clearly going to be the starter due to his cap hit, relegating Bob to inconsistent backup starts...which I wouldn't mind if he'd had some AHL time, but he didn't. If they'd gone with a vet, like Vokoun, they could have split time and had solid support for Bob.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-08-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
it'd mean i was right all along.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Not to mention his work ethic.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Awful post-season was not necessarily his fault. They treated him very poorly in that run and still, for whatever reason, trusted Michael Leighton in net over Sergei.

I know the argument that he wanted to start, but we should have given him that opportunity and used the extra cap space to get a defense that could play in front of him this past season. Instead we used it on Bryz (who isn't a bad goalie), but you can't expect the numbers he had in a defensive system like Tippett's was in Phoenix. Don't think Lavy has every played a "defense first/offensive second" type of game, so you'd need to have top notch defenders for him to achieve close to the success he had with the Yotes. We just didn't have those type of defenders.
Sure it wasn't entirely his fault, but he still played poorly. With hindsight it looks like a bad move at this point. But at the time, given the circumstances, I think most teams make the same move (signing a proven, former Vezina finalist rather than going with an unproven kid who imploded in his first post-season).

Both choices have risks. We are living the risks of getting Bryz...poor performance out of the "proven" commodity and stellar performance out of the young guy who imploded. There is also a risk in keeping Bob and not going after Bryz...Bryz plays well elsewhere, Bob fizzles and we are again looking for a franchise goalie.

Quote:
Oh for sure, but having lots of talent, and having lots of time doesn't mean anything will actually happen. With the benefit of hindsight, it looks like it was a bad move. Bob put it together and played out of his mind this year. Bryz meanwhile has **** the bed at every turn. But again, at the time, neither of those things were guarantees. In fact, I would argue that at the time it seemed much more likely that Bryz plays at an elite level and Bob doesn't.

I would also like to point out that Bob has played three seasons. One good one, one bad one, and this one (which was only half a year). I'm not taking away from what he has done, but before we start getting too crazy let's see how he does next season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Sure it wasn't entirely his fault, but he still played poorly. With hindsight it looks like a bad move at this point. But at the time, given the circumstances, I think most teams make the same move (signing a proven, former Vezina finalist rather than going with an unproven kid who imploded in his first post-season).

Both choices have risks. We are living the risks of getting Bryz...poor performance out of the "proven" commodity and stellar performance out of the young guy who imploded. There is also a risk in keeping Bob and not going after Bryz...Bryz plays well elsewhere, Bob fizzles and we are again looking for a franchise goalie.

Oh for sure, but having lots of talent, and having lots of time doesn't mean anything will actually happen. With the benefit of hindsight, it looks like it was a bad move. Bob put it together and played out of his mind this year. Bryz meanwhile has **** the bed at every turn. But again, at the time, neither of those things were guarantees. In fact, I would argue that at the time it seemed much more likely that Bryz plays at an elite level and Bob doesn't.

I would also like to point out that Bob has played three seasons. One good one, one bad one, and this one (which was only half a year). I'm not taking away from what he has done, but before we start getting too crazy let's see how he does next season.
Hindsight has little do to with it, there are plenty of people who thought going the Bryz route was incorrect at the time, because it was pretty clear Bob could be a starting goaltender. It was also clear, through simple math and knowledge of player career arcs, that for the long term Bob was a better choice than a 30 year old Bryz.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Taylor Leier will be an NHL player, I have a weird feeling

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Happy for Bob. But I could care less. Whats done is done move on. I was fine with the trade. Get back to me in four or five years to see how things shake out.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Happy for Bob. But I could care less. Whats done is done move on. I was fine with the trade. Get back to me in four or five years to see how things shake out.
No two situations are mirror images and while times and situations dictate an emphasis in that philosophy, there is precedent with Pete Peeters who won the Vezina in his first season after being traded by the Flyers. Many in the hockey world ridiculed the trade but then Brad McCrimmon turned out to be pretty good as I recall. (as an aside, I have yet to read all the posts in the thread, not sure if that has been mentioned).

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote