HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone worried about a salary cap?

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
StanleyCH25

vCash: 500
Anyone worried about a salary cap?

It's kind of funny to think that this whole time, I've been aching for a salary cap system to be put in place to help level off the playing field. I'm just wondering though, are any of you worried about some of the potential impact a salary cap might have on some teams? What if we have a nice young team that is super cheap to begin with and then as it matures, the contracts are up for renewal and we can't afford to keep some of the star players we've developed and are forced to trade them away.. How will this make you feel knowing that because of a salary cap, we might have to trade away some good young talent?

I only bring this up because I've been looking at some of the basketball forums lately and a lot of talk there involves "managing cap space" and trading players with "expiring contracts" to help get a competitive team in place for a certain year or two.

Do any of you worry about how this could affect a team like Montreal with all the hardcore fans that we have?

Old
06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
It's kind of funny to think that this whole time, I've been aching for a salary cap system to be put in place to help level off the playing field. I'm just wondering though, are any of you worried about some of the potential impact a salary cap might have on some teams? What if we have a nice young team that is super cheap to begin with and then as it matures, the contracts are up for renewal and we can't afford to keep some of the star players we've developed and are forced to trade them away.. How will this make you feel knowing that because of a salary cap, we might have to trade away some good young talent?

I only bring this up because I've been looking at some of the basketball forums lately and a lot of talk there involves "managing cap space" and trading players with "expiring contracts" to help get a competitive team in place for a certain year or two.

Do any of you worry about how this could affect a team like Montreal with all the hardcore fans that we have?

this is what i think will happen, fans will lose touch with certain teams because of those teams continual revovling door that the salary cap brings. i can guarantee you that within 3 years, the habs team will look VERY different from the current one simply because lots of players will be dealt. I find that the salary cap system will suit small market teams like edmonton because as lowe has stated, he's been working with a "virtual salary cap" aka edmontons' small budget for a few years now so GMs who have been in this mode for a season or two won't see a big difference. the biggest difference will be for the big market teams (toronto uhhum) who need to build their team up through free agents.

Old
06-20-2005, 04:24 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000
this is what i think will happen, fans will lose touch with certain teams because of those teams continual revovling door that the salary cap brings. i can guarantee you that within 3 years, the habs team will look VERY different from the current one simply because lots of players will be dealt. I find that the salary cap system will suit small market teams like edmonton because as lowe has stated, he's been working with a "virtual salary cap" aka edmontons' small budget for a few years now so GMs who have been in this mode for a season or two won't see a big difference. the biggest difference will be for the big market teams (toronto uhhum) who need to build their team up through free agents.

That's what worries me. I mean, what if you do build a decent team but then are forced to rebuild because the renewal contracts bring you over the cap? I almost hope there will be something in place that will allow teams to renew contracts for drafted players without necessarily having to worry about it bringing you over the cap. Kind of a "homegrown" player clause.

Old
06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
E = CH²

What's got me worried is this revenue sharing thing. We got lots of revenues, but the tax on the bell center kills us. If we start sharing revenues on top of that, we're dead. I hope they'll take that in consideration.

EDIT : sorry if I used the thread to start another discussion. I always do that

Old
06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Chet-Nick

If I'm not mistaken, Montreal's payroll was in the 46-48 mil range by the end of 2003-04 season. A proposed 24% rollback on existing contracts (which will obviously influence new deals) would mean a savings a little over 11 mil. Thus bringing the payroll to approximately 36 mil. Soley based on the 2003-04 roster.

Whilst these players, Juneau, Dackell, Langdon and Dowd didn't make significant money. With them gone, Quintal traded and with Kovalev and Perreault departing through unrestricted free agency. There's still more than enough room for Gainey to manoeuvre. That's assuming he wishes to target a free agent or two. Which I'm sure he'll be active with at least pursuing one.

I'm sure the likes of Perezhogin, Hossa, Plekanec and Higgins will be given every opportunity to make the Canadiens. Whoever is left standing, wears the "CH."

Closed Thread