Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2013-2014 | Part I

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Brown is basically a younger glorified Chris Kunitz - $5.75M certainly isn't awful but in 8 years he's not going to be anywhere near the same player as he is now.

I think Getzlaf is more than worth the $2.5M difference in cap hit - with one guy you get a PPG player who hits, fights and is good defensively, with the other you get a 50 point player who hits, turtles, dives and is also good defensively.

Old
07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
So what proven top-6 forward did you want us to sign?
Did i said i wanted one?
Well, that would be great, obviously, but you are misunderstanding me post by post.

About top 6 forward, we need a center. From the remaining options, there is Grabo, but like i said yesterday, he probably wants long term deal which is not in our interests, however, i`d think twice about giving him 3 year deal IF he wants it.

What our teeam needs the most right now is a good defenseman, who can play top pair minutes.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
The Devils just hired Mike Foligno as their new assistant coach, any information for us?

Old
07-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
The Devils just hired Mike Foligno as their new assistant coach, any information for us?
He was in charge of our PP in 2010-11 - the year we had career bests from Perry & Visnovsky and when Teemu scored ~80 points at 40 years old. The PP was 3rd in the league that year IIRC.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
DigitalSea
#50in15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
He'll do wonders for your PP. Great pickup overall.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
What's wrong with that? Our wingers are just fine with or without Selanne.

Perry
Selanne
Silfverberg
Palmieri
Etem
Penner
Cogliano
Winnik
Beleskey

You just named one proven top 6 winger that is signed. One.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
You just named one proven top 6 winger that is signed. One.
Yeah. Some people don't find that worrisome.

Unrelatedly, is Brunner still unsigned?

Old
07-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Yeah. Some people don't find that worrisome.

Unrelatedly, is Brunner still unsigned?
26 points in 44 games, plus was clutch in the playoffs as we saw first hand and only 27 years old. I know he talied off a little at the end of the regular season, but its baffling why no one signed him. Demands too high?

Old
07-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

I'm watching some of Ottawa's games to try and get a better sense of Silfverberg. I have to say it again: I just don't understand what Alfredsson was thinking. The Senators were a really good looking team, especially once Karlsson returned.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:36 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I'm watching some of Ottawa's games to try and get a better sense of Silfverberg. I have to say it again: I just don't understand what Alfredsson was thinking. The Senators were a really good looking team, especially once Karlsson returned.
I was listening to Marek vs. Wyshynski's podcast from July 8th and the argument made for Alfie was that he was a player who always "played under market value" and help them make payroll was offended by the Sens organization when he decided to ask for market value and they said no. After he started looking around and close to signing with the Wings, the Sens basically offer a blank check. First they say no, no money available and 2 days later the money is there.

I'm not really pro either side but Marek and Wyshynski make great arguments for both sides. Check it out if you haven't. Free on iTunes.

This podcast also discusses the Bobby Ryan trade and say why Anaheim won the trade. So another reason to check it out.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
If Spezza can even play 70 games, they'll be a better team than Detroit

Old
07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
I was listening to Marek vs. Wyshynski's podcast from July 8th and the argument made for Alfie was that he was a player who always "played under market value" and help them make payroll was offended by the Sens organization when he decided to ask for market value and they said no. After he started looking around and close to signing with the Wings, the Sens basically offer a blank check. First they say no, no money available and 2 days later the money is there.

I'm not really pro either side but Marek and Wyshynski make great arguments for both sides. Check it out if you haven't. Free on iTunes.

This podcast also discusses the Bobby Ryan trade and say why Anaheim won the trade. So another reason to check it out.
Thanks. I love podcasts but do not have any hockey ones.

Old
07-20-2013, 04:29 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Pretty good podcast, they had one where they talked bout the Perry re-signing at length (and they had the feeling he would walk). Pretty good insight and funny. Check that one out for Ducks talk the rest are pretty good NHL talk.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Unagi

I was on vacation for the first half of July, what happened between Grabovski and the Leafs after the buyout that now suddenly his character is in question?

Old
07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I was on vacation for the first half of July, what happened between Grabovski and the Leafs after the buyout that now suddenly his character is in question?
Some TSN guy did an interview with him after, and he went on a rant about Carlyle. So now he's "a problem".

Old
07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Paul4587

Toronto makes me lol. The leafs make the playoffs almost entirely with a Brian Burke roster and Nonis gets a 5 year contract out of it. Before the 5 year contract he signs Clarkson to what will be the worst contract in the NHL in a couple of years and is going to be forced to get rid of Franson (who fits a real need) because of it.

So to sum things up - he makes the playoffs with another guys roster, then proceeds to downgrade the part of the roster that needs most improving (the defense) and signs a 1 time 40 point player to a 7 year deal @ over 5 per year. He also has Phaneuf and Kessel to re-sign before years end. I will give him credit for Bernier - that was a good move.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Eddie Shack

The thing I don't get with TOR giving Nonis that contract is that he has been a Burke disciple since their days in VAN. If they didn't like the direction Burke was going, why would they fire him and sign his right hand man of the last 10 years or so?

Old
07-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
The thing I don't get with TOR giving Nonis that contract is that he has been a Burke disciple since their days in VAN. If they didn't like the direction Burke was going, why would they fire him and sign his right hand man of the last 10 years or so?
The directipn of Burke wasnt the issue. They had a problem with the way he presented himself. Burke isnt a corporate guy. He is a little loose and swears a lot. Suits dont want that.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
The directipn of Burke wasnt the issue. They had a problem with the way he presented himself. Burke isnt a corporate guy. He is a little loose and swears a lot. Suits dont want that.
LoL. You really believe that? Everybody in sports swears a lot. Even guys in suits, just ask BfB. They were pretty cryptic on reasons why he was fired but I'm certain it isn't because he swears. And I'm pretty sure the Leafs not making the playoffs in his time there had plenty to do with it.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
LoL. You really believe that? Everybody in sports swears a lot. Even guys in suits, just ask BfB. They were pretty cryptic on reasons why he was fired but I'm certain it isn't because he swears. And I'm pretty sure the Leafs not making the playoffs in his time there had plenty to do with it.
Of course everyone swears. But Burke does so in interviews.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:11 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I am of a similar opinion. I think it was a personality issue between Burke and the owners. Maple Leaf ownership seems to meddle. Burke is an opinionated guy and probably doesn't appreciate it.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I am of a similar opinion. I think it was a personality issue between Burke and the owners. Maple Leaf ownership seems to meddle. Burke is an opinionated guy and probably doesn't appreciate it.
From everything I could tell, it's because ownership simply didn't like him. That's why they fired him before the season even started, where anywhere else he's allowed to play it out and then probably gets extended because of how well they did, and kept a guy like Bryan Colangelo, who's been a huge bust for the Raptors, around. One guy they liked, another they didn't.

Old
07-28-2013, 03:28 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I like how a lot of Leafs fans are down playing how good Franson is now that he might get traded.

I thought he would be the #1 dman on the Ducks a couple of months ago?

Old
07-28-2013, 10:29 AM
rollingdux

I know it won't happen.....but just for lolz, imagine if Garbo and Franson ended up on the Ducks...... and they just get to watch Ryan play for the Sens.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
I think it's the best one out there. Hockey Central At Noon is also a good one, but it can be a little East Coast Bias-y.

Closed Thread