Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2013-2014 | Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
The move is legit, it is no different to a fancy deke. Getting the goalie to bite and putting the puck between your legs like that changes the angle completely and makes it almost a sure goal.

If Hertl is skilled enough to pull off the move good for him. Not many could pull it off as smoothly as he did.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Exit Dose

I honestly doubt that anyone on the Rangers cares about it. I suspect that they're far more concerned with playing like **** than some slick shooting maneuver.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:45 AM
Ducks Nation*

Old
10-11-2013, 04:19 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Yeah, nothing wrong with that move. It's usually not the easiest option you have, but it's also nothing really special in terms of skill. Any goalie including myself (which is mainly elevated beer-league / about German 4th tier league) has faced that countless times from all sorts of less than-exceptional players. The thing is that at the NHL level, players are usually conditioned to make the most effective play with the best chance of scoring, and this one almost never is. You really need a peace of mind in a certain situation to realize the opportunity to utilize the move and to not worry about it being stopped, because a simple shot or backhand-move gives you better odds. I think it's not deserving of any controversy, though. Unlike the Omark-spin in the shootout vs. Tampa last year, it's just a legitimate move that serves a purpose like any other. It was a situation that was perfectly suited for him to make that move with him cutting in from the outside and Biron playing it so deep.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Nation View Post
That is a beauty. What a speed

Old
10-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Boogernaut
Castleton Snob

vCash: 50
I thought it was a dick move by Hertl. Beautiful shot though. He's allowed to be a dick of course, but you pay for what you buy.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeaoh

I think two issues that go add to the Hertl controversy are the facts that a) he plays in California and b) he did it to an Original 6 team.

Wanna bet the ****storm would have been a lot less if it were the other way around? Also I am sure it would have been convered differently if he were Canadian. Imagine Crosby had done that in his rookie season. It would be "All Hail Sid the Kid" all day long.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Boogernaut
Castleton Snob

But was there really a ****storm? I know the media jumped on it -I agree with you there- but my impression is that most players that have weighed in haven't had a problem with it.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
But was there really a ****storm? I know the media jumped on it -I agree with you there- but my impression is that most players that have weighed in haven't had a problem with it.
I felt there was quite some heat yes. And the mere fact that that goal is mentioned in any other context but "awesome" is ludicrous. I had the same issue with the Yakupov celebration a year ago. The kid was excited to tie the game and all the hockey world had to say was "oh he better watch out, they will be gunning for him now!". As if he had taken a swing at the players with his stick when skating alongside the Kings bench.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

I completely don`t understand that **** storm on Hertl. Adam Oates even said something to media.

I don`t like the Sharks but that was a sweet move. And as a bonus it was really popular in media. Even here in Latvia. Some NHL attention doesn`t hurt the game, i think.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:05 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Sometimes I just don't get the culture of American sports. No showboating, no tricks, no celebrating. It's just complete opposite of how European sports are (e.g. football/soccer).

Old
10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
So you're not a fan of Teemu then? Because by those boring ass standards, throwing your glove up in the air and mock shooting it with your stick must be in hilariously over the top poor taste. Who cares if he just scored the most goals by a rookie. Those damn disrespectful showboating rookies. Send that disrespectful schlub back to Finland.
Teemu has actually said it was disrepectful what he did and now that he looks back on it he shouldn't have done it. There is a difference to scoring 50 goals in a season and scoring a meaningless goal in a rout. New York hasn't said anything because they know they are meeting up again.

Canucks got hosed with that suspension.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:40 PM
defer

Duchene really has even another gear on top of what is already top speed. Such a powerful skater, fun to watch.

Old
10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Sometimes I just don't get the culture of American sports. No showboating, no tricks, no celebrating. It's just complete opposite of how European sports are (e.g. football/soccer).
There's a time and a place for everything. The move would have been fine in a shootout. That's just a circus event anyway. In a game where they should have invoked the mercy rule, not so much.

Old
10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
There's actually more showboating in American sports than in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
There's a time and a place for everything. The move would have been fine in a shootout. That's just a circus event anyway. In a game where they should have invoked the mercy rule, not so much.
Why should anyone have mercy?

Old
10-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post

Why should anyone have mercy?
That was just invoking an expression. Mercy, no. Respect yes. Play hard until the game's over. Try and score more goals, no problem. Everybody on both teams should play like it is a tie game. But when you showboat in a way you would not in a close game, you are disrespecting your opponent. But then that has become a major problem for all sports these days. It's also why more players are getting seriously injured. Because players no longer have any respect for one another. The concept of respect seems to be a dying trait. That's unfortunate for everybody.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Finnpin
"internet"

Filppula is having nice start in Tampa. Good two way game and brings puck handling skill to the team.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
DaDucks*

Radek Dvorak vs the la kings

Old
10-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Lmao who ever is watching NHL center Ice the philly game? My god are the commercials horrible, announcers suck, the nobodies making comments during intermission. Just laughable! It makes me almost want to watch the kings game.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That was just invoking an expression. Mercy, no. Respect yes. Play hard until the game's over. Try and score more goals, no problem. Everybody on both teams should play like it is a tie game. But when you showboat in a way you would not in a close game, you are disrespecting your opponent. But then that has become a major problem for all sports these days. It's also why more players are getting seriously injured. Because players no longer have any respect for one another. The concept of respect seems to be a dying trait. That's unfortunate for everybody.
This makes no sense. Try to score more goals, no problem? That's what he did. But because he used a certain move, it's disrespectful? That's ridiculous. This is the NHL.

It's one thing in a beer league when once in a while you play a team that clearly should be in a lower league, and youre killing them. Then its disrespectful to go dangling their entire team. This is a league of the best. You dont want him pulling that move? Dont let him.

and btw, what if he used a "regular" move but he went coast to coast dangling the entire team? still disrepectful?

Old
10-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
This makes no sense. Try to score more goals, no problem? That's what he did. But because he used a certain move, it's disrespectful? That's ridiculous. This is the NHL.

It's one thing in a beer league when once in a while you play a team that clearly should be in a lower league, and youre killing them. Then its disrespectful to go dangling their entire team. This is a league of the best. You dont want him pulling that move? Dont let him.

and btw, what if he used a "regular" move but he went coast to coast dangling the entire team? still disrepectful?
1. If you don't get, you don't get it.

2. No

Old
10-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

Bob Miller needs some alzheimer pills.

Canes on a 2 min kill in OT. there are only 3 canes on the ice.

Ron hainsey wears 65, and plays defense, and is 6'3" with long hair out the back of his helmet.
Jeff Skinner wears 53, is a winger (so he wouldn't be on the ice on a 4 on 3), and is a midget.

Miller confuses Hainsey for Skinner for the entire 2 mins.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
Bob Miller needs some alzheimer pills.

Canes on a 2 min kill in OT. there are only 3 canes on the ice.

Ron hainsey wears 65, and plays defense, and is 6'3" with long hair out the back of his helmet.
Jeff Skinner wears 53, is a winger (so he wouldn't be on the ice on a 4 on 3), and is a midget.

Miller confuses Hainsey for Skinner for the entire 2 mins.
Hey, Bob gave us Magnus, you have to cut him a little slack.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:46 PM
kducks
Duck Off

That's a hall of famer you are talking about, he is better than anyone EVAR

Old
10-11-2013, 09:47 PM
kducks
Duck Off

Tavares pulled out his own tooth. Damn Hawks beat them still.

Closed Thread