HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brenden Morrow

Old
07-18-2013, 09:31 AM
NativeCane97

vCash: 500
Brenden Morrow

I've seen some talk about Morrow's agent in contact with Rutherford with talks continuing in the next couple days. Anyone else??

NativeCane97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:35 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Cory Lavalette had made the point about Brendan Morrow and Tim Gleason having a bit of a history, with Morrow taking Steve Ott's side and fighting Gleason during that whole mess a few years ago.

Would Morrow and Gleason be able to coexist? If not, is Gleason on the way out to make room for Morrow and Hainsey? I could get on board with that, considering Gleason should bring back a fairly decent return himself. I'm not sure the cap room would be there though, depending on what each player asks.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Joe McGrath

Didn't the Canes trade for Aaron Ward 2 months after Scott Walker broke his face?

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Yeah, but this is/was a more personal issue between Ott/Gleason that Morrow apparently sided with Ott on. Not saying they can't mend things (nor did Cory), but it's something to keep in mind.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

vCash: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Didn't the Canes trade for Aaron Ward 2 months after Scott Walker broke his face?
Yes. That didn't exactly work out too well.

NHL'ers I think are better at putting "beef" with other players aside to be teammates more so than the other 3 sports leagues but what Gleason did is one of those things that won't be forgotten.

If JR is serious about Morrow he better make sure he and Gleason don't try to start **** with one another. If that's going to be the case then either move Gleason or don't sign Morrow. Last thing this team needs is bitter blood in the locker room.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Finnish Hype Train
rip jackstrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
That was different. Ward always had good things to say about Carolina (except right after he got his face smashed in), and his issue with Walker was something that happened in the heat of the moment on the ice. That's the kind of thing you can hug out and be done with.

Ott's issue with Gleason is different - there is pure, unadulterated hatred on a personal level that will never go away. If Morrow took Ott's side, I don't think he'll want to play alongside Gleason. I know I wouldn't if I were in his shoes.

Last edited by Finnish Hype Train: 07-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Finnish Hype Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
There was never any indication that Morrow took anybody's side but his teammate's. What he did was fight Gleason because Ott was going out of his mind trying to make it happen and hurting his club. Sometimes, as a leader, to get the best out of a guy you have to motivate him on his terms. Now, I don't pretend to know what goes through these guys minds when they do such things, but don't pretend that these guys are middle school girls and forget they're professionals first and foremost. If these two still have ANY history, they'll drop the gloves in camp and be done with it. Two guys that are noted leaders in the room, and Morrow is about as revered as they come, will not be a distraction on this hockey team. I know there is a lot of forward talking in this post regarding Morrow actually signing here, which is premature, but there is nothing to suggest that these guys have even thought about this after that night they dropped the gloves. Can you honestly ask yourself that if the roles were reversed and somebody did something like this to say... Chad Larose that Gleason wouldn't have taken Morrow to church on it simply by virtue of being capable and doing the leadership thing for a friend? Of course he would have. If Gleason himself can't see that then he's the guy with the problem.

Truth be told, I would be thoroughly surprised if these guys even thought about that event on a regular basis.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

And these soap operatic themes are certainly a good sign that it's the offseason. The same thing goes for Alex Edler. Had he been traded here, Eric would have gone up to him and said something about the event and then they would have moved on because he would have done a lot to help this club. Nobody takes the side of the man most petty in these situations. It's about coming together to win hockey games, not best friendship ribbons.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Finnish Hype Train
rip jackstrap

Good point. Maybe it depends on how good of friends Morrow and Ott are off the ice. It's one thing if they just happened to be teammates at the time and haven't kept in close contact, but it's another if they see each other in the summer, have dinner when the other guy's team is in town, etc. That's something I can't speak to - I got the impression that they were pretty good friends, but I may very well be wrong.

Given the importance Rutherford places on everybody getting along and being one big happy family, he probably wouldn't be talking to Morrow if he thought it would hurt the locker room dynamic.

Finnish Hype Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Yeah, but this is/was a more personal issue between Ott/Gleason that Morrow apparently sided with Ott on. Not saying they can't mend things (nor did Cory), but it's something to keep in mind.
That's a non-issue. Of course, he took his side. He was Ott's teammate and captain. Much ado about nothing.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
There was never any indication that Morrow took anybody's side but his teammate's.
That's how I see it as well.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:16 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Perhaps, perhaps not. I just find it curious considering they've supposedly been talking to Hainsey too, and by all accounts it seems that Gleason is the most likely to move. Could be a coincidence, could be fire from smoke.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
StormCast

Morrow looked close to done to me last season. I'd be very wary unless it was a real cut rate deal. I personally don't think he's a top 6 guy any more.

Old
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

He didn't look done in Pittsburgh at all. He would be taking more of a third line role anyway, I'm sure. Score maybe 25 or 30 points and make the other guy think twice about taking a run at Skinner/Semin, etc.

Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Morrow looked close to done to me last season. I'd be very wary unless it was a real cut rate deal. I personally don't think he's a top 6 guy any more.
He was playing with three kneecaps.

halleJOKEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
He didn't look done in Pittsburgh at all. He would be taking more of a third line role anyway, I'm sure. Score maybe 25 or 30 points and make the other guy think twice about taking a run at Skinner/Semin, etc.
Having him play with Skinner and/or Lindholm certainly wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. As long as he came pretty cheap.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

If Morrow and Gleason really have problems with each other, then there wouldn't even be talk of Morrow coming to the Canes. Because a) if Morrow had a problem, he wouldn't even consider the Canes as a place to play, and b) if Gleason has a problem with Morrow, then you really think JR would trade an assistant captain instead of telling Morrow "thanks for the interest, but we've decided to go in a different direction"?

If Gleason ends up getting traded it will be to save money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
bluedevil58*

bottom six:

Dalpe-Lndholm-Dwyer
Welsh-Sutter-Nash

That isn't even 20 goals if you combine the 6 players... Kill me now please.

bluedevil58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:19 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
He sure did to me, and that was before he got hurt. Just not the same guy and eventually played his way into a 4th line role, albeit on a deep team. Regardless, if you're banking on 25-30 points his production to salary ratio will be way out of whack. Again, I'd pass.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

How in the hell are people saying he looked done? I mean, is this real life? He scored 0.57 points per game last year and his career average is 0.64 ..... in what universe is that inconsistent with his career numbers? His PPG actually increased from his 11-12 season. He would be a 20-20 here all day long from the third line with select time on the PP as a net front guy. I don't think anybody here is advocating more than a year or two. He'd be an ideal stop gap until a few of our guys are ready to take bigger roles.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Wolfpuck
More Skins More Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
bottom six:

Dalpe-Lndholm-Dwyer
Welsh-Sutter-Nash

That isn't even 20 goals if you combine the 6 players... Kill me now please.
That's brutal. Even rotating Dalpe up and Skinner down doesn't make that any less ugly. Morrow would be a perfect fit on the third line, and a PP unit to boot.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

There isn't a single difference maker in our bottom six right now at even strength. Not one. Even though I would replace Welsh with Bowman in the above lines. Sad as it may be, when you have a Top 6 where everybody in it makes market value your lower lines are going to suffer mightily unless you can work some ELCs into the equation. We just don't have enough guys ready to take jobs.

I'm looking at Boychuk, Bowman, Nash, and Dalpe as guys who still have a modicum of offensive potential to realize and need to establish themselves. One of them has to step it up in a big way or their NHL careers are likely on the line. Nash gave the most to be encouraged about last season but his offense came in fits and starts. If we're going to be a strong team, one of those kids needs to come through.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

FWIW, he scored at nearly the same clip that Skinner did last year.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

At least Boychuk seems to be taking his offseason conditioning seriously:

Zach Boychuk ‏@ZachBoychuk 6s

Last month I found an ebook on how to lose weight and it worked I lost 28 pounds in a month! http://*******.com/kmfrxuu

Either that or he got spam hacked, obv.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
bilpeto
This Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
At least Boychuk seems to be taking his offseason conditioning seriously:

Zach Boychuk ‏@ZachBoychuk 6s

Last month I found an ebook on how to lose weight and it worked I lost 28 pounds in a month! http://*******.com/kmfrxuu

Either that or he got spam hacked, obv.
So you grabbed that tweet six seconds after he/hacker posted it? Somebody needs to get a life.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote