HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I hope nonis gets a superstar center from the AHL to play for the marlies. We need a great player to add to our top 6 and give guys like biggs confidence.

Biggs-Superstar-Ashton
Leivo-Mckegg-Ross

Still wouldnt be a great top 6 but at least the marlies would have a chance of scoring 2+ goals a game. Otherwise we will be the AHL version of nashville.

Then bodie and smith can join our bottom six with guys like broll, ryan, devane, creszensi, carrick
Spencer Abbott will most definitely be in the top 6 on the Marlies and I predict he'll finish duel McKegg for 2nd highest scorer on the team behind Smith.

On paper it certainly looks like the Marlies will take a step back after having lost Eakins, Colborne, Hamilton, Ranger, Zigomanis, Scott who were all pivotal that were on the roster at the end of the year.

It's okay though because a lot of new faces like Biggs, Broll, Percy, Leivo, Granberg will be joining the roster and need opportunities to get lots of minutes to grow and hopefully one day make the big club.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
KlattNazty

How many people consider the following to be an upgrade, and how many a downgrade?

In: Clarkson, Bolland, Ranger, Bernier

Out: Grabovski, MacArthur, Scrivens, Frattin

Talking about the roster pieces only.

Just curious because lots of people argue we got worse.

EDIT: So far, seems like people have the same opinion as I do. Upgraded D? Check. Potential the best shutdown line in the league? Check. Upgraded top 6? Check. Depth in goal / potential for upgrade? Check.

I agree. Upgrades and with lower salary cap!

Last edited by KlattNazty: 08-06-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old
08-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Animal

A clear upgrade in my opinion. Everything seemed to go our way last season, and I feel we added pieces that prevent us from falling back down. More depth in net, more depth on D with ranger back there, and a true shutdown centre and bruising power forward.

All of this with a lower salary cap. I'd say that's a good offseason

Old
08-06-2013, 10:42 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

A slight upgrade
The out guys were basically our 3rd line and backup goalie so no big deal

Old
08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
How many people consider the following to be an upgrade, and how many a downgrade?

Easily better.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Gimme your # gurl

vCash: 50
I think we moderately upgraded, with the potential of it becoming a massive upgrade. That would be the case where Bernier goes lights out/Clarkson has 50+ pt 100+ PIM/Bolland goes beast mode in the playoffs again/Ranger regains top 4 form.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

Quote:

EDIT: So far, seems like people have the same opinion as I do. Upgraded D? Check. Potential the best shutdown line in the league? Check. Upgraded top 6? Check. Depth in goal / potential for upgrade? Check.

We're situationally better and have not lost much offense in the process. Kessel, Kadri, Lupul and JVR are still our top scoring forwards, with Phaneuf, Gardiner, (maybe Liles) and hopefully Franson still being our top offensive d-men. The scorers we did lose produced poorly this year and their offensive clip in this same year in which we didn't have any offensive troubles can be matched or bettered by the new guys.

We can expect the new additions to replace the production we got this year from Grabbo and company and also see them be a greater help defensively. In Clarkson we get a tough guy and net front presence. With Bolland we get a defensively-conscious center with playoff experience who is good on the dot and can be used with McClement in must-win draws. With Ranger, I'd expect a Gunnarsson kind of game with solid defense in his limited minutes and with anything else being gravy.

I'm not quite certain that we have a newer and more legitimate shutdown line, but the kind of players we did get should be helpful regardless of where they are shuffled into the lineup.

I'm interested with seeing if Ranger can rebound and if we are able to free up some cap space, I'd recommend we buy low on Ian White for a quality depth or lower 5/6 offensive defense to go with Ranger.

As for the goaltending situation, I'm really happy. We have a legitimate top pairing that can not only push one another, but could also help each other improve on their weaknesses.

I'm unhappy with the Bozak term as I see him as a similar player to Bolland without the Stanley Cup rings. Everything about him speaks medicore and I'm not sure if his defensive game will be able to help offset his less than mediocre offense.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:07 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
A slight upgrade
The out guys were basically our 3rd line and backup goalie so no big deal
i disagree.

bernier is possibly our starting goalie, he is going to get the opportunity to take it at least. he is the best goalie prospect/ young goalie we have had since rask. i think it is not a stretch to say he is as good or better then reimer.

clarkson was brought in to play on the 2nd line. he is a better option there then anything we had last season. he solidifies our top 6.

bolland is a significantly better defensive center then grabovski. he is almost as good defensively as mclemment imo but he has some offensive upside. he is a legit 3rd line center which is something we have missed for some time now.

ranger at $1 million is a steal. he is better then anything we could have possibly put into the 5 spot with the exception of possibly reilly. he also was a top 4 nhl defenseman not so long ago and he might be able to become that again. i think most would agree that a ranger-fraser pairing is a lot more attractive then a liles-fraser pairing. ranger also should be able to take some of phaneufs pk time which should improve phaneufs play.

bottom line, these might not be flashy pieces but almost every contending team makes it deep in the playoffs because of their secondary/ roll players. nonis did a good job bringing these things in. had nonis used the compliance buyout on liles instead of komisarek there would be no cap issue right now.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

The last time Ranger was an NHL defensemen he regularly led his team in ice time, or was 2nd. He could be a legit 2D for us. I'd rather have better, but there is a good chance he's better then a few of our players. He could be a good partner for Gardiner on the 2nd pairing.

Right now I'm leaning on moving Franson rather then another buyout used on Liles. The difference between the 2 isn't that drastic and Franson would actually hold some value. Liles may be a tough sell for Nonis just to dump for nothing with his salary. We aren't counting on Franson being more then a 4 in the long run, it isn't a big loss if ends up more useful then Liles, for someone else. Another 2nd could help us considering Nonis has traded our away for a couple years now.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:46 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i disagree.

bernier is possibly our starting goalie, he is going to get the opportunity to take it at least. he is the best goalie prospect/ young goalie we have had since rask. i think it is not a stretch to say he is as good or better then reimer.

clarkson was brought in to play on the 2nd line. he is a better option there then anything we had last season. he solidifies our top 6.

bolland is a significantly better defensive center then grabovski. he is almost as good defensively as mclemment imo but he has some offensive upside. he is a legit 3rd line center which is something we have missed for some time now.

ranger at $1 million is a steal. he is better then anything we could have possibly put into the 5 spot with the exception of possibly reilly. he also was a top 4 nhl defenseman not so long ago and he might be able to become that again. i think most would agree that a ranger-fraser pairing is a lot more attractive then a liles-fraser pairing. ranger also should be able to take some of phaneufs pk time which should improve phaneufs play.

bottom line, these might not be flashy pieces but almost every contending team makes it deep in the playoffs because of their secondary/ roll players. nonis did a good job bringing these things in. had nonis used the compliance buyout on liles instead of komisarek there would be no cap issue right now.
Good argument
But we haven't seen them in blue and white yet.
The pessimist would say:

-Bernier is too small
-Clarkson is overrated he's not that quick and stinks defensively
-Bolland is smallish and will struggle vs bergeron staal malkin types
-Ranger hasn't proven himself enough at the NHL level to really say what he could bring

Old
08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

Bernier > Scrivens
Clarkson > Frattin
Bolland > Grabovski (Weird one. If this were for a scoring line it would be Grabovski)
Ranger =/ MacArthur

Old
08-06-2013, 09:24 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Bernier > Scrivens
Clarkson > Frattin
Bolland > Grabovski (Weird one. If this were for a scoring line it would be Grabovski)
Ranger =/ MacArthur
How does Ranger who plays a different position than Mac, and hasnt played in the NHL for a while prove to be equal or better, and what evidence do you have that Bernier is the better goalie?

Old
08-07-2013, 04:42 AM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
How does Ranger who plays a different position than Mac, and hasnt played in the NHL for a while prove to be equal or better, and what evidence do you have that Bernier is the better goalie?
That isn't obvious? Stats for one.

Old
08-07-2013, 07:28 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Bernier > Scrivens
With 63 total NHL games played I'd say that's yet to be determined. It looks that way, but Leafs fans should be wary of goalies after our string of failures. Pogge had great pedigree, so did Raycroft, Toskala looked like a very good backup in San Jose, etc.

Quote:
Clarkson > Frattin
Of course I agree, but I always thought Frattin was on the verge of breaking out and being a really solid top 6 guy. He shows flashes of physical dominance and really good hands. I feel like they're probably on opposite trajectories, with Frattin getting better (how much better we obviously can't know) with Clarkson probably having already peaked.

Quote:
Can't argue with that, but Bolland isn't really filling Grabovski's role on this team.

Quote:
Ranger =/ MacArthur
This one doesn't make any sense though.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Cool Hand Luke

I wonder what we could get for Kulemin? Which teams are rumoured to be interested. I think this is the time to trade the guy. With Clarkson, JVR, Lupul, and Kessel, the dude is never going to see top 6 minutes, and he's being wasted and overpaid on the 3rd line. We could go out and sign a guy like Morrow or Raymond for 2 million or less, or just even rotate guys from the Marlies to fit that LW position until someone fits (Biggs, Leivo, D'Amigo, Ashton). There's our capspace. Maybe someone might even take Liles in the deal.

Where could Kulie go?

Old
08-07-2013, 08:14 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
That isn't obvious? Stats for one.
By all means post them. Obviously Scrivens has very little game experience, but for someone who has been in the NHL as long as Bernier, he doesnt either.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:15 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I wonder what we could get for Kulemin? Which teams are rumoured to be interested. I think this is the time to trade the guy. With Clarkson, JVR, Lupul, and Kessel, the dude is never going to see top 6 minutes, and he's being wasted and overpaid on the 3rd line. We could go out and sign a guy like Morrow or Raymond for 2 million or less, or just even rotate guys from the Marlies to fit that LW position until someone fits (Biggs, Leivo, D'Amigo, Ashton). There's our capspace. Maybe someone might even take Liles in the deal.

Where could Kulie go?
The Leafs as a team would get much worse by trading Kulemin, IMHO.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Does anyone think we could get Tom Wilson for him from Washington? They might bite with Kulemin giving Grabo some extra incentive to sign with his buddy. They definitely need a 2nd line center.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post

Of course I agree, but I always thought Frattin was on the verge of breaking out and being a really solid top 6 guy. He shows flashes of physical dominance and really good hands. I feel like they're probably on opposite trajectories, with Frattin getting better (how much better we obviously can't know) with Clarkson probably having already peaked.

Physical dominance? Where did you see that? Do you mean when guys would try and hit him occasionally and they would bounce off?

Guy was far from physical dominant. They tried constantly to coax the physical play initiation out of him, but he isnt that player. He doesnt engage consistently with his body. He might learn to, but he did not show much of that with us.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:20 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:

lost a lot of offensive depth but got tougher and probably better defensively. Frattin is kind of the wild card for me. Let's see how he does in L.A.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:39 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

Goalie stats on LA are sure to be buttered.
Remember Toskala's stats when he was on SJ ?

Old
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Antropovsky

Colborne, clarkson and bolland over frattin, grabovski and Mac. One thing is for certain, we've definitely lost team speed.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Goalie stats on LA are sure to be buttered.
Remember Toskala's stats when he was on SJ ?
Then may god help quick if he's ever moved to a different team, because he only had a .902 sv%. Bernier on the other hand had a 922%.

Old
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Punch Drunk Loov
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 2835
Except the Leafs aren't brutal like they were when they acquired Raycroft and Toskala

Old
08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
Except the Leafs aren't brutal like they were when they acquired Raycroft and Toskala
yep. our team was ****** back then. we've come along way, thank god. i have a gut feeling that bernier will out-duel reimer this year, but it sucks cause reimer is a fav player of mine.

Closed Thread