HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 09:26 PM
FifthLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Maple Leafs View Post
I think the rumblings about Phaneuf were legit and now that New Jersey has been sold we may see a deal go down. They need to make a splash after losing Kovalchuk and they have the cap space. This would solve the cap space issue for Franson and Kadri for sure. Hmmmmm......
annnnddd where are these rumors stemming from?

Old
08-15-2013, 09:37 PM
HeroNtF

With phanuef and current team we are competitive now. Next couple years possibly contenders.

without phanuef we are out of playoffs this year.
And the coming years are more uncertain.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:45 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Calder is a trophy for rookies, so I don't know what you're getting at when you say he is "already a Calder winner". Andrew Raycroft was a Calder winner too.
I'm sorry, but if you think Landeskog's career is going to unfold like Raycroft's, you haven't watched him play much. Sure, he could have taken a smaller bridge deal, but at the end of it, he'd be making more than Duchene. 5.5 is only a 2 million dollar raise and they lock their franchise player down for 7 more years. He's an absolute bargain.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Drew311
Liquor Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
Landeskog is already a Norris Trophy winner and captain of his team. I'm sorry but points aren't everything. He's the heart and soul of that team. I would kill to have him on the Leafs. That contract will be a steal. It's probably the contract Montreal wishes they gave to Subban.
I just don't get the rush to sign him. He still has a year left on his ELC after suffering a concussion.

I love the kid too, but it's not set in stone that he'll be a 5.5 million dollar player for the next 7 years, especially if he has reoccurring head issues.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
annnnddd where are these rumors stemming from?
just a hunch.....

Old
08-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Drew311
Liquor Smurf

Quote:
just a hunch.....
Please stop hunching.....

Old
08-15-2013, 10:11 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Please stop hunching.....
Nope....this board is made up of hunching. I like to read other people's speculation too.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Landeskog is already a Norris Trophy winner and captain of his team. I'm sorry but points aren't everything. He's the heart and soul of that team. I would kill to have him on the Leafs. That contract will be a steal. It's probably the contract Montreal wishes they gave to Subban.
He also has played 1.5 NHL seasons and not yet scored 100 pts.

Its outrageous and is the epitome of paying for potential, which I greatly dislike.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE Lando, but I dislike just as much giving out contracts which have not yet been earned.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:14 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
It's not just about hits. He's soft as butter in front of his own net, especially for his frame.
You have the wrong player ... your describing Gunnarson, some of the many parts of his game that go's unnoticed around here yet he's Mr. underrated.

Franson is twice the player in almost every area of the game yet I find it astonishing in here how so many view that Gunnarson is more important to this team or even important at all as a matter of fact.

The Leafs will regret the day if they lose Franson cause of the cap and practically waste money on a tweener like Gunnarson in the process. What is it with this fan base and management with this love for mediocre players anyway? These are the guys you trade when they peak in value and don't look back. MacArthur 2.0 he's worth more in trade than to re-sign and eat cap space while you have 2 key guys still to sign in Franson and Kadri.

The situation should be reverse. Franson should have been a priority to sign well before Gunnarson and it should be Gunnarson sitting right now without a contract with the Leafs trying to fit him in instead.

Every GM is guilty of mistakes in this profession while many on here whine about Clarkson etc. as far as I'm concern not trading Gunnarson while his value is still high and ******* around with both Kadri & Franson is Nonnis's off season mistake.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:20 PM
FriedEgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
You have the wrong player ... your describing Gunnarson, some of the many parts of his game that go's unnoticed around here yet he's Mr. underrated.

Franson is twice the player in almost every area of the game yet I find it astonishing in here how so many view that Gunnarson is more important to this team or even important at all as a matter of fact.

The Leafs will regret the day if they lose Franson cause of the cap and practically waste money on a tweener like Gunnarson in the process. What is it with this fan base and management with this love for mediocre players anyway? These are the guys you trade when they peak in value and don't look back. MacArthur 2.0 he's worth more in trade than to re-sign and eat cap space while you have 2 key guys still to sign in Franson and Kadri.

The situation should be reverse. Franson should have been a priority to sign well before Gunnarson and it should be Gunnarson sitting right now without a contract with the Leafs trying to fit him in instead.

Every GM is guilty of mistakes in this profession while many on here whine about Clarkson etc. as far as I'm concern not trading Gunnarson while his value is still high and ******* around with both Kadri & Franson is Nonnis's off season mistake.
I agree 100%. I keep reading gunner is underrated but I just don't see it (watch the Tampa game where st. Louis torched the leafs) Would have rathered him sitting without a contract right now. He will be tough to move with that contract. I really hope dion has a new partner this year.

Old
08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Landeskog is a very good young player, but that contract is steep at this stage, no doubt in my mind. On the other hand, he's not the first young guy in the past few years to get a big 2nd contract. All I know is that it makes Kadri's contract talks more complicated.

“If you think there's no pain coming, there's pain coming.” -Mike Babcock
Bring back Joe Bowen.
Old
08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Landeskog's contract (7 years @ 5.57) is insane. Kadri's agent is likely licking his chops
Clarkson's contract is insane. Landeskog does everything well. Points aren't everything. What do you think Kadri will get?

Old
08-15-2013, 11:36 PM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
Clarkson's contract is insane. Landeskog does everything well. Points aren't everything. What do you think Kadri will get?
You can't compare a UFA and RFA contract, come on. And if points aren't everything, how is Clarkson's contract insane?

Old
08-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
You can't compare a UFA and RFA contract, come on. And if points aren't everything, how is Clarkson's contract insane?
I was comparing Landeskog to Kadri. blasted_Sabre said Landeskog's contract is insane and Kadri must be licking his chops. Kadri will most likely get the same deal.

Clarkson is a good player and I know free agents get more money(I heard another team offered more)

Old
08-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if you think Landeskog's career is going to unfold like Raycroft's, you haven't watched him play much. Sure, he could have taken a smaller bridge deal, but at the end of it, he'd be making more than Duchene. 5.5 is only a 2 million dollar raise and they lock their franchise player down for 7 more years. He's an absolute bargain.
I haven't made any comparisons to Raycroft, I'm just saying that a Calder trophy isn't all that special. You seem to want to make a big deal of it, and use phrasing that suggests that you don't even know what the trophy is.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:25 AM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Sure Landeskog could play himself into that contract, he could also end up stagnating and being a Tyler Myers type of situation ... It's a gamble to give a kid that much money/term with only a season and 1/4 under his belt

Old
08-16-2013, 04:04 AM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
I haven't made any comparisons to Raycroft, I'm just saying that a Calder trophy isn't all that special. You seem to want to make a big deal of it, and use phrasing that suggests that you don't even know what the trophy is.
Well, saying "Andrew Raycroft also won a Calder" is kind of a comparison, right? I do get what you're saying, but things like a Calder and the fact that he's the youngest captain in NHL history do affect how negotiations go. Absolutely, that is a ton of money for a 20-year old. But he's maybe one of only 2 or 3 20-year olds I'd be willing to give that kind of term to. And again, it's only a 2 million dollar raise to lock him down for 7 more years. (I would love to give Kadri a 2 million dollar raise and sign him for the next 7.) The Avalanche know what they have in this kid and made the right decision.

Old
08-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Nope....this board is made up of hunching. I like to read other people's speculation too.
I actually agree with your hunch. Everyone keeps talking about Franson, but I think Nonis moves Phaneuf. And again, if losing one guy moves us from 4th place in the conference last season to 9th or worse, than we are in trouble anyways.

I just can't see what NJ offers us, unless its Larsson. He would be amazing for this team.

A future of Reilly-Larsson, Gardiner-Franson, Gunnarsson-Granberg would be SICK.

Plus, the Landskog thing might have something to do with being named the youngest captain in NHL history. The Calder is over-rated, but being the captain of an NHL team at 19 is not.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I actually agree with your hunch. Everyone keeps talking about Franson, but I think Nonis moves Phaneuf. And again, if losing one guy moves us from 4th place in the conference last season to 9th or worse, than we are in trouble anyways.

I just can't see what NJ offers us, unless its Larsson. He would be amazing for this team.

A future of Reilly-Larsson, Gardiner-Franson, Gunnarsson-Granberg would be SICK.

Plus, the Landskog thing might have something to do with being named the youngest captain in NHL history. The Calder is over-rated, but being the captain of an NHL team at 19 is not.
I agree with this. It would be difficult to name the kid Captain and then be hesitant to commit to him long term.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
I was comparing Landeskog to Kadri. blasted_Sabre said Landeskog's contract is insane and Kadri must be licking his chops. Kadri will most likely get the same deal.

Clarkson is a good player and I know free agents get more money(I heard another team offered more)
If Kadri gets that deal I'll complain then too.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:34 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I agree with this. It would be difficult to name the kid Captain and then be hesitant to commit to him long term.
Agreed - I think what we dont see is a huge factor with him. He is so good on and off the ice. And its not like he didnt score well during his rookie year. Rookie performance + incredible maturity + team captain + high end precedence he set for himself in junior = manz get paid.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:09 AM
pspot

for discussion puprposes Phanuef for Henrique, Fayne and prospect or pick, maybe conditional pick if he resigns

downgrade on D talent but resign Franson and gives Carlyle two RHD in the mold he likes, big puck movers. He could probably help Fayne solidify his game

Henrique really adds to the depth of the top 9 and improves the two way ability. So team defense would improve.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Henrique/Bolland/Kulemin

that's three lines that can score, strong forechecking, and play a responsible two way game. I think Carlyle could control games with that lineup

Last edited by pspot: 08-16-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
08-16-2013, 09:10 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:

i really think you underestimate gunnarson. by no means is he a top pairing defenseman but he is a legit top 4 guy on just about every team in the nhl. he is also fairly cheap at only $3.15 million for the next 3 seasons.

franson may very well end up being substantially better then gunnarson but right now imo gunnarson is very steady in his own end and is the best option to be paired with phaneuf. hyptothetically if the leafs signed franson and not gunnarson who would we put with phaneuf?

phaneuf-liles?ranger? reilly?
gardiner-franson

you also dont know what franson wants exactly contract wise. im sure if franson was willing to take $3.15 x 3 years nonis would have given it to him and it would be done with. its easy to say that franson was not the priority when he should be but we dont really know the facts. i cant see nonis not having conversations with all the ufa/rfas to get them extended months ago. franson may want a contract similar to jvrs (4.2 x 7 years ). is that a contract that you are willing to offer him?

hockey is also stupid political. carlyle might not like franson. franson might be a total ****** bag behind closed doors? who knows?

you imply that nonis is at fault for "******* around" with kadri and franson. i think it is a little unfair considering we dont know the facts. i dont think the leafs cap situation is the problem holding back franson/kadri. i think if nonis and kadri/franson could agree to contracts that make sense he would find space for them. the issue is agreeing to terms on a contract, not the leafs cap situation.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM
WilliamNylander
Captain Matthews

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
for discussion puprposes Phanuef for Henrique, Fayne and prospect or pick, maybe conditional pick if he resigns

downgrade on D talent but resign Franson and gives Carlyle two RHD in the mold he likes, big puck movers. He could probably help Fayne solidify his game

Henrique really adds to the depth of the top 9 and improves the two way ability. So team defense would improve.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson
Henrique/Bolland/Kulemin

that's three lines that can score, strong forechecking, and play a responsible two way game. I think Carlyle could control games with that lineup
The problem is that without Phaneuf, our D takes an enormous hit. He plays the toughest competition in the league every night, and is the reason other guys (Fraser, Franson, etc.) succeed because they take the easier match ups.

I think with that trade, we go back to being a bottom 10 team in the league and potentially a lottery team. If Phaneuf went to NJ, I'd have to imagine Larsson+ coming back

Old
08-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:

Franson wasn't trusted by all of Trotz, Wilson and Carlyle. Gunnarson meanwhile has been a top PK and shutdown player for both Wilson and Carlyle over multiple seasons because he's much better defensively.

Offence isn't the problem for the Leafs. With Gardiner back on track and Rielly coming along where are the PP minutes to play Franson going to come from down the road? If Franson is still with the team we'll be talking about him just like most people talk about Liles who saw his numbers plummet after he lost his PP spot. Both Franson and Liles are examples of players who need to be put in offensive roles.

Lots of other teams still have RFAs like Stepan, Hodgson, Cowen, Henrique, Pietrangelo, Boedker. This is the same as any off-season. Last I checked it's only mid-August.

Closed Thread