HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2013, 02:35 PM
  #76
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,108
vCash: 500
Im a fan of Weber. Not of his contract. For that reason hes a big "no thanks" for me.

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  #77
beer123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I suggested Dion + Lupul + for Weber, to see what peoples' opinions were.

Have any of you ever heard of 'context'?

Meh.
The Preds need a center..

Kadri + Phaneuf looks to be more realistic...

beer123 is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  #78
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,578
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer123 View Post
The Preds need a center..

Kadri + Phaneuf looks to be more realistic...
If people are willing to do this then they need their head checked.

(Not you, as I know you are just suggesting what it would be)

Cor is online now  
Old
07-19-2013, 06:38 PM
  #79
BIitz
42
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Parthenon
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,073
vCash: 50
I'd be interested in Mark Fayne around TDD if the Devils are playing poorly. Good top 4 defensemen.

BIitz is offline  
Old
07-19-2013, 10:05 PM
  #80
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
You know his team just finished 4th last right?

Shows how much Norris D-men on their own can do.

Don't get me wrong, Shea Weber is great...but the difference between Weber and Phaneuf really isn't as big as some people like to believe.
I agree

pooleboy is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 06:38 AM
  #81
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector
 
BudMaster17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
It boggles my mind that there are still posters here that don't see Phaneufs value to this team. It's as if they've never watched a game nor understand hockey.
Or watched the last 10 mins of game 7 and the overtime in Game 4

BudMaster17 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  #82
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Or watched the last 10 mins of game 7 and the overtime in Game 4
So therefore he sucks? I'm sure guys like Lidstrom, Lemieux , Gretzky all had a string of poor games in their careers. Heaven forbid Dion doesn't

KuleminFan41 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  #83
CmonLeafs
Registered User
 
CmonLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
So therefore he sucks? I'm sure guys like Lidstrom, Lemieux , Gretzky all had a string of poor games in their careers. Heaven forbid Dion doesn't
To blame that choke job solely on Dion is absurd. Without him, we're not in that game, because we're not even in the playoffs.

CmonLeafs is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 11:42 AM
  #84
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,578
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonLeafs View Post
To blame that choke job solely on Dion is absurd. Without him, we're not in that game, because we're not even in the playoffs.
Dion caused the 2 on 1 in Game 4. Not the goal. That was played terribly by Gunner and Reimer.

As for "The Collapse". I have no idea why Dion was on the ice. It looked like he couldn't put pressure on his right leg. That's coaching. If Franson is out there, he moves Chara and Reimer saves one of the two goals, maybe both.

That collapse was a team thing, Not Dion, Not Carlyle, Not Bozak, The Team.

Cor is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 12:01 PM
  #85
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Dion caused the 2 on 1 in Game 4. Not the goal. That was played terribly by Gunner and Reimer.

As for "The Collapse". I have no idea why Dion was on the ice. It looked like he couldn't put pressure on his right leg. That's coaching. If Franson is out there, he moves Chara and Reimer saves one of the two goals, maybe both.

That collapse was a team thing, Not Dion, Not Carlyle, Not Bozak, The Team.
It was O'Bryne.

Diatomic is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 12:29 PM
  #86
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,578
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
It was O'Bryne.
I was pretty sure it wasn't Gunner, I just assumed though.

Thanks

Cor is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:17 PM
  #87
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Not confident going into the season with only 2 top 4 Dmen (Gunnar+Phaneuf).

Gardiner and Franson will need to improve their D-zone play leaps and bounds for us to have a decent defense.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:20 PM
  #88
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Oh Mr Peeenguin...
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Not confident going into the season with only 2 top 4 Dmen (Gunnar+Phaneuf).

Gardiner and Franson will need to improve their D-zone play leaps and bounds for us to have a decent defense.
IMO training camp will be a big indicator this year for the coaching staff ... An underwhelming camp for Gards or Franson and the Leafs will likely sign a vet on the UFA market or make a trade

At the same time there might be a defenseman who could come up out of nowhere in the system that proves they deserve the minutes .. Highly unlikely but a possibility

BertCorbeau is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:22 PM
  #89
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
An injury to Phaneuf or Gunnar would kill us.

I really, really wanted Scuderi to insulate some of the defensive match-ups.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #90
getyourselfsomerest
Registered User
 
getyourselfsomerest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Dion caused the 2 on 1 in Game 4. Not the goal. That was played terribly by Gunner and Reimer.

As for "The Collapse". I have no idea why Dion was on the ice. It looked like he couldn't put pressure on his right leg. That's coaching. If Franson is out there, he moves Chara and Reimer saves one of the two goals, maybe both.

That collapse was a team thing, Not Dion, Not Carlyle, Not Bozak, The Team.


The same Franson who gave the puck away 3 times on Boston's 1st goal? The same Franson who couldn't catch up to Lucic and then partially screened Reimer on the 2nd goal? Or is it more like the same Franson who was elsewhere picking berries on the OT winner? Gardiner-Franson were downright terrible in their own zone.

And people blame Phaneuf for not pushing Chara out of the way? As if it's something that people just "do" for fun. Gunnarsson was the one who was completely out of position and ended up screening Reimer when he tried to look around Chara.

getyourselfsomerest is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
  #91
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Lets be realistic, To move Chara from the net, almost anyone in the league would need steroids.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
  #92
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Lets be realistic, To move Chara from the net, almost anyone in the league would need steroids.
bad use of hyperbole

Jacob8hockey* is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #93
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Not confident going into the season with only 2 top 4 Dmen (Gunnar+Phaneuf).

Gardiner and Franson will need to improve their D-zone play leaps and bounds for us to have a decent defense.
I thought about that too but I think that we have 2 young guys waiting in the wings, Rielly and Granberg, they will possibly be on the Leafs, sooner than we think and having too many veterans to block them, may derail their development a bit

We still have Liles, a much maligned veteran defenceman, that may pick up the pace this coming season and play more in Carlyle's style and we have added Brennan a stay at home defenceman that may be good fit here with Gardiner and also Marshall probably destined to be this years replacement for Kostka but could step in and play some minutes.

Fans may have to suffer a little, watching our defence but working Rielly and Granberg into the line-up, is a big plus and in the near future we will have a dynamite young defensive core.

Budsfan is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 05:59 PM
  #94
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I thought about that too but I think that we have 2 young guys waiting in the wings, Rielly and Granberg, they will possibly be on the Leafs, sooner than we think and having too many veterans to block them, may derail their development a bit

We still have Liles, a much maligned veteran defenceman, that may pick up the pace this coming season and play more in Carlyle's style and we have added Brennan a stay at home defenceman that may be good fit here with Gardiner and also Marshall probably destined to be this years replacement for Kostka but could step in and play some minutes.

Fans may have to suffer a little, watching our defence but working Rielly and Granberg into the line-up, is a big plus and in the near future we will have a dynamite young defensive core.
For sure, future is bright, but this season will have shoddy defense unless the forwards can apply a lot of support.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 06:04 PM
  #95
officialmark7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
This is Gardiners break through year. I really think if he plays the way he can that he will be in the Norris talks.

officialmark7* is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 06:09 PM
  #96
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,538
vCash: 500
How is Franson not a top 4 D ? He needs to work on a few little things , but that's normal. Last year he showed why Nashville made a mistake trading him. Also I think Gardiner will have his best year yet, being 100% healthy .

Leafs at Knight is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 07:15 PM
  #97
BIitz
42
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Parthenon
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialmark7 View Post
This is Gardiners break through year. I really think if he plays the way he can that he will be in the Norris talks.
Lots of defensemen must be having down years then. I don't think he'll ever even be a finalist for a Norris

BIitz is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 07:16 PM
  #98
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Our defence isn't going to be too bad and with this past season under their belts, Gardiner, Franson and Fraser will make the odd gaff and some here will be jumping all over them but they all have to learn and add Brennan to that group, players like Liles and Marshall should be able to fill in and both Rielly or Granberg can be brought in for any injuries and be slowly worked into the line-up.

I see our Defence....

Phanuef/Gunnarsson
Gardiner/Brennan
Fraser/Franson
Liles/Marshall

Budsfan is online now  
Old
07-20-2013, 07:21 PM
  #99
BIitz
42
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Parthenon
Country: Greece
Posts: 13,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Our defence isn't going to be too bad and with this past season under their belts, Gardiner, Franson and Fraser will make the odd gaff and some here will be jumping all over them but they all have to learn and add Brennan to that group, players like Liles and Marshall should be able to fill in and both Rielly or Granberg can be brought in for any injuries and be slowly worked into the line-up.

I see our Defence....

Phanuef/Gunnarsson
Gardiner/Brennan
Fraser/Franson
Liles/Marshall
The problem I have is that most of them played at a level we don't know is sustainable yet.

All the bolded showed a level of play that they haven't shown before. I'm always careful penciling people into a top 4 spot right away. We've been burned time and time again by 1 season wonders, and it happens to every team. I'd love if Nonis just keeps Liles (although I see no indication he won't). Liles is a good 5/6/7 guy now, and if anyone is playing poorly he can jump up and down the lineup without costing us anything.

The underlined I don't think are ready to play at the NHL level for a full season, mistake free. Especially Marshall. Brennan I can't see playing top 4 either.

BIitz is offline  
Old
07-20-2013, 07:46 PM
  #100
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
The problem I have is that most of them played at a level we don't know is sustainable yet.

All the bolded showed a level of play that they haven't shown before. I'm always careful penciling people into a top 4 spot right away. We've been burned time and time again by 1 season wonders, and it happens to every team. I'd love if Nonis just keeps Liles (although I see no indication he won't). Liles is a good 5/6/7 guy now, and if anyone is playing poorly he can jump up and down the lineup without costing us anything.

The underlined I don't think are ready to play at the NHL level for a full season, mistake free. Especially Marshall. Brennan I can't see playing top 4 either.
I agree but they do have experience and have played at different levels, for a number of years and I think Phanuef/ Gunnarsson and Fraser/Franson, are going to be no problem and be able to play a lot of minutes, the Gardiner/Brennan/Liles, should also be able to play a lot too and any of these pairings, should be ok but the more Gardiner plays, the better he becomes and his offensive flare, is one day going to make him an elite defenceman, I understand Granberg may be his best pairing partner but lets work him in slowly and not throw him to the Lions and one day Gardiner/Granberg, will be a really good pairing for us.

Gardiner/Brennan
Gardiner/Liles
Liles/Brennan

Budsfan is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.