HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent FRENZY! Part IV Trade and proposals

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Duffman955

vCash: 500
No way I pay franson over 3mil. Has one good half season by the time he is 25.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
WTF - when did that deal with Josi happen?! Where was I?!

that would be a good deal for the leafs, but the term is downright terrifying given our defensive prospects

It would certainly have to have trade options, and I just cant see him taking so little at the start because he has put up PTS, and people pay for PTS.

However, maybe if the cap is coming down and the percents are similar it will work
He put up points, but he was playing soft minutes, and half his points are from the PP.

He doesn't have a great track record, so I think a Josi contract would flatter him.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-22-2013, 08:43 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I find it hilarious that people are stressing over the Leafs cap situation. I swear, sometimes it seems like fans think the Leafs management don't realize the situation they are in. These guys are paid to think three steps ahead. Every single move is planned and calculated, and every possible scenario is analyzed before it happens. Take my advice, find something else to worry about, because it's not worth the headache. Everything will sort itself out by October.
I find your post hilarious thinking that the Leafs management (or any management for that matter) is beyond making contractual mistakes.

In the last several years alone the Leafs have bought out Tucker, Armstrong, Domi, Komisarek, Garbovski, and jettisoned Kubina, Connolly and Lombardi. Heck we were even lucky to turn mistakes into good assets (Beauchemin for Gards/Lupul and Lebda/Franson, etc).

Heck, 1 year after Grabbo signs a 5 year extension we buy him out!

We are not above making mistakes. We have several RFA's with limited cap space avail. All it takes is one of them to get more than anticipated (via arbitrator, offer sheet, etc) and suddenly we are in trouble.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He's posted some superb Offensive numbers, I'm not too fond of him either from his play last season (easy minute, 1st PP etc) but he's going to get 3.5mil +

Old
07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
He's posted some superb Offensive numbers, I'm not too fond of him either from his play last season (easy minute, 1st PP etc) but he's going to get 3.5mil +
I'd take a 1st. and a 3rd. for him.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'd take a 1st. and a 3rd. for him.
These players will be re-signed, or dealt but Nonis is a pretty good GM when it comes to signing players and he doesn't over pay but sometimes, what we consider isn't a good cap number, really comes down to market value of the player and what someone else will pay.

I'm not worried about our RFA's they are good young players and will be signed for a fair market value and be prepared, that it won't jive, with our expected numbers but When signed, I really like our team and I'm pretty sure, there will not be another repeat, of last season's final game.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Franson's strong along the boards, one of the best point-shots in the league (insanely quick release, almost always hits the net, is hard, and he shoots low), has a decent outlet pass (though it's absolutely atrocious when he's tired/at the end of a shift). Skating's a little weak, and overall defensive awareness needs some upgrading, but I think he'll be a good top-four Dman for the Leafs for a long time.

AND he's a good ol' Canadian boy.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
rumman

Quote:
If Phaneuf's worth 6.5, then Franson's easily worth 3+ million IMO, but Dion isn't worth 6.5, so Franson's worth between 2.75 and 3.25.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Budsfan

Leafs, Gunnarsson Agree to Terms

The Toronto Maple Leafs and defenseman Carl Gunnarsson have avoided arbitration and have agreed to terms on a three year, $9.45M deal.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Corsi Rel QoC shows Gunnarsson playing 11th. toughest, with Alzner facing 69th. toughest for defensemen who played 30+ games.

Alzner is getting 2.8 per season, so even 12.5% for giving up 25% more of his UFA status puts him at 3.1.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428209

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs have avoided salary arbitration with defenceman Carl Gunnarsson by agreeing to a three-year, $9.45 million deal.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
$6.57 million remaining for Kadri, Franson, and Fraser. Call it $6 million to leave a little room for an injury call up through the season. If Fraser gets $1 million in arbitration, and that's a low estimate, then Kadri and Franson have $5 million to split between them. I wonder if people are starting to see what I've been talking about for weeks yet?

Old
07-22-2013, 04:48 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Please resign Kadri so I stop worrying. Thanks.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
$6.57 million remaining for Kadri, Franson, and Fraser. Call it $6 million to leave a little room for an injury call up through the season. If Fraser gets $1 million in arbitration, and that's a low estimate, then Kadri and Franson have $5 million to split between them. I wonder if people are starting to see what I've been talking about for weeks yet?
Maybe Nonis is trying to Trade Liles, that would free up alot of cap

Old
07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Maybe Nonis is trying to Trade Liles, that would free up alot of cap
Every team in the league is trying to shed salary. Are you sending our 1st out with him to get rid of him?

Old
07-22-2013, 05:17 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Franson's strong along the boards, one of the best point-shots in the league (insanely quick release, almost always hits the net, is hard, and he shoots low), has a decent outlet pass (though it's absolutely atrocious when he's tired/at the end of a shift). Skating's a little weak, and overall defensive awareness needs some upgrading, but I think he'll be a good top-four Dman for the Leafs for a long time.

AND he's a good ol' Canadian boy.
I'd say he's average along the boards.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
If Phaneuf's worth 6.5, then Franson's easily worth 3+ million IMO, but Dion isn't worth 6.5, so Franson's worth between 2.75 and 3.25.
Oh, you are comparing Phaneuf to Franson?

We will see how much you like Franson if he plays Phaneufs minutes.

(Hint: leafs fans will be ready to burn his house down...)

Seriously, there is a reason he has never played top 4 minutes.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
rumman

Quote:
Oh, you are comparing Phaneuf to Franson?

We will see how much you like Franson if he plays Phaneufs minutes.

(Hint: leafs fans will be ready to burn his house down...)

Seriously, there is a reason he has never played top 4 minutes.
at half the price, Franson's a waaaaaay better buy IMO.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
at half the price, Franson's a waaaaaay better buy IMO.
How?

So he can play half the minutes Phaneuf does?

He looked like komiserek when he played against non 4th liners.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:53 AM
stanleyorbust

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...143219395.html

Interesting article regarding "bridge contracts"

If you believe Kadri is a true PPG centerman... do you sign him to a two year contract with cap of 3-3.5 range.. and then have to re-sign him at Giroux money (8 mill range)? Over 5 years that would cost 31 million and resulting cap space.

Or do "take the risk" hes the read deal and offer him a 5 year, 20-25 million contract to lock him up?

Old
07-23-2013, 08:01 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyorbust View Post

If you believe Kadri is a true PPG centerman... do you sign him to a two year contract with cap of 3-3.5 range.. and then have to re-sign him at Giroux money (8 mill range)? Over 5 years that would cost 31 million and resulting cap space.

Or do "take the risk" hes the read deal and offer him a 5 year, 20-25 million contract to lock him up?
Worked out really well for Tavares, OEL, Keith, etc deals. Not so much for Myers and probably a few others that I cant think of righht now.

With Kadri? If we could get him on a 5+ year deal, Id give him around 5M. I think its very doubtful be becomes a legitimate #1 guy, but 5M is still a pretty good deal for an upper tier #2 guy / 1B guy. Risk on both sides, which is fair.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Give him the bridge deal.

If he's the real deal he's worth the money.

Three quarters of a 48 game season isn't proof enough, especially when the best games were early when the AHL players were game ready with NHL players playing theirselves into shape.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:08 AM
KlattNazty

I'd either be looking to do 5/6 years on a decently mid/low range contract, or give him the bridge.

$4.5 x 6 years / dreaming

Old
07-23-2013, 08:27 AM
leugangen

Honestly, I try to get Kadri locked up for 8 years at 4.5-5 mil.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:28 AM
stanleyorbust

Quote:
Give him the bridge deal.

If he's the real deal he's worth the money.

Three quarters of a 48 game season isn't proof enough, especially when the best games were early when the AHL players were game ready with NHL players playing theirselves into shape.
This is a valid point. Its only a 48 game body of work, however Kadri does have pedigree on his side as he was a 1st round draft choice with high expectations. So his play is not a surprise by any means.

I have no issue paying him what hes worth... the attraction to a deal now is that if he turns into Claude Giroux, you're paying him 5 million a year. However you could also end up with "Mike Riberiro" which in fairness isn't all that bad either.

You seemed pretty close on the Gunnarson deal, what do you think they sign him for ULF?

Old
07-23-2013, 08:39 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
This is a valid point. Its only a 48 game body of work, however Kadri does have pedigree on his side as he was a 1st round draft choice with high expectations. So his play is not a surprise by any means.

I have no issue paying him what hes worth... the attraction to a deal now is that if he turns into Claude Giroux, you're paying him 5 million a year. However you could also end up with "Mike Riberiro" which in fairness isn't all that bad either.

You seemed pretty close on the Gunnarson deal, what do you think they sign him for ULF?
I don't know why they wouldn't go bridge deal, and I'm thinking it should be around 2.8, but I won't be surprised if it is 3.25. Unlike Gunnarsson, who has been a NHL player for 3 years, Kadri has just one year and a short one at that.

I'd like to see a one year deal at 2.5, and then Kadri will either have a lot of leverage or he'll have little and they'll know about Kessel and Phaneuf.

Closed Thread