HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Connor Brown

Old
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
VanW27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post

The fact that he will be an overager in the OHL pretty much assures that Connor has an uphill battle to make the NHL.

Not high on this kid at all...
He's not an overager. 2013-14 will be his 19 year old season, same as Rielly, Finn and Rupert playing junior this year.

But I agree he's a longshot.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
He's not an overager. 2013-14 will be his 19 year old season, same as Rielly, Finn and Rupert playing junior this year.

But I agree he's a longshot.
Not now he isn't but he will be in the OHL as an overager. I have no doubt in my mind. Jim Hughes talked about it. They are going to keep him with McDavid as long as possible.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
He'll refuse to sign with whichever team drafts him, thus becoming a free agent and signing with the Leafs
Bingo! That's what I was thinking. He could go all Lindros!

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:33 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

My bad on the 'not unrealistic to get 150 points'. Thought for some reason that 150 points was far more common than it was. 100 points sounds more reasonable .

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
My bad on the 'not unrealistic to get 150 points'. Thought for some reason that 150 points was far more common than it was. 100 points sounds more reasonable .
Does it matter either way really? He's going to be the winger for the next couple years of future possible phenom Connor McDavid. He's a skilled guy who gets to ride on the coat tails of one of the next stars in the NHL. Doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot for a potential pro career.

He's got the skill but hooboy that's a frame that does not scream NHL ready for sure. Not even close. He needs to gain like 25lbs.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:50 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Not now he isn't but he will be in the OHL as an overager. I have no doubt in my mind. Jim Hughes talked about it. They are going to keep him with McDavid as long as possible.
That might not be a bad thing. Sometimes teams have a player that could go to the AHL, but return them for an overage year because of the situation they're going back to. San Jose did it this past season, sending Konrad Abeltshauser back as an overager, which nobody was expecting. They said it was because they knew he'd have a great chance at a championship playing with Halifax, and it definitely helped his development.

I'm not saying it's the only reason they'd send him back, but it seems he would be going back to a situation that could be great for his development. I'm assuming Erie will be loaded for a championship run in Brown's overage year.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:58 PM
67Cup

Some strange stuff in this thread...
150 points, but at least the OP backed off on this one. How about, Brown is a good bet to end up with the most points of all Leaf draftees in the CHL, if he stays healthy. Actually, that is an easy bet since Brown with 69 points was second to Leivo with 73. And Leivo will not likely be back as an overager, IMO. Technically, by the way, the highest scoring Leaf draftee was Josh Nicholls with 85 points but I didn't count him since he is now Rangers' property.

And predicting with confidence a year ahead of time that he will be an overager is almost equally nuts. Why not do what the Leafs brass will do, namely watch him for another season before making a decision on that one?

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:36 AM
darrylsittler27

22nd in OHL post draft.

Guys like Connor are longshots the scouts hope have some kind of growth spurt and breakout seasons post draft. He has a chance to see AHL duty. Broll has the advantage of size, Connor will need much more to ever make the NHL.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
That might not be a bad thing. Sometimes teams have a player that could go to the AHL, but return them for an overage year because of the situation they're going back to. San Jose did it this past season, sending Konrad Abeltshauser back as an overager, which nobody was expecting. They said it was because they knew he'd have a great chance at a championship playing with Halifax, and it definitely helped his development.

I'm not saying it's the only reason they'd send him back, but it seems he would be going back to a situation that could be great for his development. I'm assuming Erie will be loaded for a championship run in Brown's overage year.
It's definitely not a bad thing at all. If Brown is going to make the NHL, it will take a long time with a lot of patience. This kid will need an extra year in the OHL and two years on the Marlies. Hopefully by then his body matures so that he has more to offer than just skill. He has a lot of GYM work ahead.

He's a long shot but if he pans out, he could be an effective offensive player.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:48 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Why are you making up stuff about him being an overager?

You thought he was an overager this coming year, and you were wrong. Making up stuff about him needing an extra year, after the year he just had, is silly and wrong.

Last edited by zeke: 07-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:58 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

You thought he was an icerager this coming year, and you were wrong. Making up stuff about him needing an extra year, after the year he just had, is silly and wrong.
Why do we even discuss a player drafted who has never really expected to get tried in the NHL until he is 24-25

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:06 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

We would discuss any prospect who had as good a year as brown did.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:34 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Why do we even discuss a player drafted who has never really expected to get tried in the NHL until he is 24-25
This is Hockey's Future boards.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
This is Hockey's Future boards.
Good point haha

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

You thought he was an overager this coming year, and you were wrong. Making up stuff about him needing an extra year, after the year he just had, is silly and wrong.
I didn't make anything up. I know he is not an overager now, he is 19 lol, im not an idiot. I repeated what Jim Hughes said...he will probably need an extra overage year in the OHL. This to me says he is nowhere close to being g ready for the pros.

Re read my posts for God's sake.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:53 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Jim hughes did not say that.

Old
07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Joey Hoser

At 3:00, he suggests "maybe" he'll go back for an overage year.

No point in arguing about what he said when it's right there.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:38 PM
LeafsAllDay

In Connor Brown's most recent interview on mapleleafs.nhl.com he says he is supposed to gain 8lb a year; ontariohockeyleague.com and hockeydb.com both have him listed at 170lb so he should be 186lb after two more years and 194lb after three.

It is likely that his offensive production is going to increase playing with a more mature Mcdavid in a bigger role. That in addition to his continued weight gain and he is looking pretty damn good for a 6th round pick!

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:30 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
It would be nice for one of these long shot picks to surprise and become solid NHLers for once. Holding out hope for players like Conner Brown, Leivo, Totinato to take a leap in development and make it hard to cut them from camps in the future.

Guys like Mckegg, Blacker have sort of stalled. Even D'amigo hasn't really jumped out to me as the player we saw on team USA.

They are still young though, I think you can't count anyone out until they are hitting 24 and still stuck in the AHL. At that age there is always a shiney new toy coming up behind them.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I don't think McKegg has stalled. I think he will see quite a bit of ice time this year and will produce. He is quite skilled.

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:58 PM
ChrisCall

It's early of course, but i can never say enough about how much i love the Connor Brown pick. I'm glad to see he's off to a tremendous start this year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008792014.html

4G, 5A, 9Pts in 5 games.

ChrisCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
It's early of course, but i can never say enough about how much i love the Connor Brown pick. I'm glad to see he's off to a tremendous start this year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008792014.html

4G, 5A, 9Pts in 5 games.
damn, outperforming McDavid

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Most importantly why visit this thread or post a comment in it?

Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Patience

I agree that McKegg hasn't stalled. He definitely improved last season. His skating has improved substantially. He's probably the Marlies best offensive prospect now and I suspect we'll see stats that will show that this season. He's easy to knock off stride or on his rear end. We'll see about Blacker this season. He kept getting bumped down the Marlies' depth chart under Eakins whenever another defenseman was added. Perhaps he'll fare better under Spott.

Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I agree that McKegg hasn't stalled. He definitely improved last season. His skating has improved substantially. He's probably the Marlies best offensive prospect now and I suspect we'll see stats that will show that this season. He's easy to knock off stride or on his rear end. We'll see about Blacker this season. He kept getting bumped down the Marlies' depth chart under Eakins whenever another defenseman was added. Perhaps he'll fare better under Spott.
Incorrect. (See: Leivo, Josh)

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote