HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good would Luke Schenn have been under Carlyle?

Old
07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 500
A #2 stay at home defenseman, you say? Wow, it's almost like that's exactly what he is in Philly.

Vor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
TheProspector

Schenn looked way better than he actually was because he was bigger at an earlier age.

That advantage neutralised when playing against men, and he's been mediocre ever since.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:10 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
A #2 stay at home defenseman, you say? Wow, it's almost like that's exactly what he is in Philly.
Wow, if Schenn is a number 2 D, that must be 1) a NON playoff team 2) a BAD defence. Oh wait!

Mark Fraser.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Wendelstache

drafting a player who's highest potential is adam foote is laughable.

schenn skating was dog ****, i prefer fraser ... eventhough he outright cost us 1 game against boston.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Al14

Who cares... he's long gone!

Water under the bridge!

However, I wouldn't mind if he returned, and brought Brayden with him.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Quares27

Maybe a #4-5? His skating is just horrible and will always hold him back.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:30 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Not good considering he was a turnover machine with us and could not pivot.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:35 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

A top 4 defensemen.

He's still got nice potential, might even buy a Schenn Flyers jersey this year. Hope he continues to play at a high level for the Flyers.

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Yep, and with Schenn getting the second most minutes in ice time, they missed the playoffs for the first time in 5 years!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:14 PM
kilgore111

The Leafs rushed Schenn pure and simple. He should have been left for a year, but Leaf management of the day showed the usual impatience. Why? Because Leaf fans are hockey mad and GM's know their only hope to keep their jobs is to make the playoffs so forget about the long-term. Why are American based teams winning Cups, IMO they have the leeway to show patience needed to properly develop players.

Having said that, getting JVR for Schenn was pretty good, but still the Leafs did not do what was needed to develop a Schenn properly

kilgore111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

Schenn is terrible. I don't care what system he plays in.

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:48 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

No offence, but I feel half the people who are claiming we "rushed" or "ruined" him have no idea the reason you leave a prospect down. I don't think Schenn was rushed, nor do I think he is bad.

@ OP, I don't feel this is the right place for discussion about Schenn. You'd be hard pressed to find people in this thread who have seen more than 10 games of Schenn this year and have this pre-set opinion that he is no longer good, based on a year ago. I put him in a poll vs Fraser and Frason and Schenn came out ahead. I also find it funny how people say Fraser replaced him when they aren't even in the same league.

Don't understand the Schenn hate here, never will. Fan favorite when he was here, hard working kid, likeable guy. Second he is gone BAM! let's look at his flaws only Like Burkie always did, I thank him for his time and wish him the best of luck, cause as I said earlier people are still basing their opinion of him from 2 years ago.

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:17 PM
BayStBully

I'm not sure why some of you think Schenn would suddenly become a "beast" in Randy's system.

He is a slow, defensive-defenseman who can't play on the PK. I for one am extremely glad I never have to watch him on a nightly basis ever again.

BayStBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:47 PM
KapG

Some of the comments in here are ****ing hilarious.

Schenns looked pretty good in Philly...

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Beastly Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

this...

the fraser comparisons are terrible

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:55 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
Schenn barely progressed with the Leafs. At most you can say his offensive zone play improved slightly the year before he was traded. His skating never seemed to get any better. He still has time to improve it, though - Franson seemed to work pretty hard on his skating and playmaking last season.

Everything's gotta be black or white, eh?
Franson and Schenn are different players, though. Franson is some sort of poor man version of Pronger. He is a big guy that can move the puck, but isn't as mean as him. On the other hand, Schenn was supposed to develop into an Adam Foote-style shut down defenceman.

I think Schenn is doing quite fine in Flyers. However, I'm starting to like JVR more due to his versatility. He may be like Giroux in that he can be used in a variety of situations in order to create linematching challenges for the opposition. If he can consistently use his physicality and utilize his creativity, he may end up developing into a very special player.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Paradoc
New User

vCash: 870
I miss having Schenn. Was my favourite player when I just started becoming a hardcore leafs fan. He was mis-managed by the coaching staff which ruined a part of his game. Still think he has top pairing potential.

Paradoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
@ OP, I don't feel this is the right place for discussion about Schenn. You'd be hard pressed to find people in this thread who have seen more than 10 games of Schenn this year and have this pre-set opinion that he is no longer good, based on a year ago. I put him in a poll vs Fraser and Frason and Schenn came out ahead. I also find it funny how people say Fraser replaced him when they aren't even in the same league.

Don't understand the Schenn hate here, never will. Fan favorite when he was here, hard working kid, likeable guy. Second he is gone BAM! let's look at his flaws only Like Burkie always did, I thank him for his time and wish him the best of luck, cause as I said earlier people are still basing their opinion of him from 2 years ago.
That Franson vs Schenn poll was very poorly thought out by you, since Franson and Schenn have very little to do with one another.

Schenn is a slow physical stay at home defenseman who is most effective using his body on the side boards to stop a rush and keeping it simple when he's partnered with a skill defenseman who does the finesse work, thinking and most of the transitional stuff.

Franson is a big wingspan-rangy defender who is not exactly fast but is mobile enough to be a catalyst to the transition game more than he is a classic siege defender. He has a very quick release on the point which makes him very valuable on the point in delivering the puck to the net, which makes him literally the opposite to Schenn's poor, inaccurate and cumbersome point shot.

I think Schenn always got too much love on here relative to the price the Leafs paid to get him and what people thought he was based on where he was picked in the draft. He seemed like a nice personality, but people projected a lot of unjustified hope on that guy because they thought a top pick would equal a superior player.

As far as the poll is concerned, I doubt you have significant amount of people who have watched enough Flyers or Leafs games to actually make those comparisons, nevermind the last time a Leaf player actually won a poll on hfboards.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

From what I saw against Philadelphia, he was mostly the same old same old junk against the Leafs except for maybe the last game they played us when he scored a goal, and in the few NBC games I saw, he was still just a slow guy trying to keep it simple and outlet it to Timonen.

This play was pretty classic at 2:25 :

Old
07-20-2013, 12:21 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Love JvR, he was everything I hoped he would be last season. He brought a lot to the team and I would way rather sacrifice what Schenn may become for JvR actually is.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:24 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Who cares... he's long gone!

Water under the bridge!

However, I wouldn't mind if he returned, and brought Brayden with him.
Don't often agree with you, but so much this....

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Mowerman

Hard to miss Schenn considering the return, but he is being criminally underrated here. Short memories.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:30 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Hard to miss Schenn considering the return, but he is being criminally underrated here. Short memories.
He's certainly going to break out in Philadelphia.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:03 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
It isnt as much Caryle I'm disapointed we never really got to see Schenn work with but Barb Underhill.
His skating is whats most holding him back and she probably really could have helped him with that.
She really helped Franson improve his skating and is now apparently working with Kadri.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:13 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
No its more that winning a trade is some big deal on HF and we cant let the players careers play out a little bit to find out who won.
And many of the people that do that cant keep their own personal biases out of it either. They tear the traaded awy players down to make the ones aquired sound better.

Many Leaf fans have to insist that we won the JVR/Schenn trade and rub it in even tho Philly fans seem quite happy with Schenn.

Bruins fans and many others loved to point out how badly we lost the Kessel trade and it isnt looking so bad for us now.

leaf fans rubbed in the Beauchimin for Lupul and Gardiner trade for a couple years (some still try) but I would bet the Ducks are extremely happy with that trade right now.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote