HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs are in the Atlantic division

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2013, 10:33 AM
  #76
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I agree that the names should provide a nod to hockey's history but, unfortunately, this is Bettman's NHL and names like Patrick, Smythe, Prince of Wales, etc. mean nothing to most Americans.
Let's be frank. They dont mean much to most Canadians either. We're 20 years out of anyone knowing what the Patrick Division stood for. They should've incorporated names like Lindsey, Howe, Orr, etc, into the new formats. People would have more recognition.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:40 AM
  #77
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,931
vCash: 500
I am still confused as to how playoff seeding works. Let's say in our conference, in our division only 3 teams make the playoffs and from the Met division 5 teams make it, how will the seeding work? As in, who plays who. I am still not clear about that. The whole format just does not make sense to me. I think there was nothing wrong with the previous one, I don't know why they had to mess with it.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:48 AM
  #78
KLM-Line
Registered User
 
KLM-Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Munich
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I guess Lake Ontario is sort of the Atlantic.
Quote:
I refuse to call any of these by the stupid names give, it is not the metrosexual division it is the Patrick.


Hilarious. Bettman better plans his next appearance somewhere in the west. He might be confronted with some violent metrosexualism in the
east or worse be thrown into the Atlantic ocean ... the one next to Buffalo.

KLM-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:49 AM
  #79
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I am still confused as to how playoff seeding works. Let's say in our conference, in our division only 3 teams make the playoffs and from the Met division 5 teams make it, how will the seeding work? As in, who plays who. I am still not clear about that. The whole format just does not make sense to me. I think there was nothing wrong with the previous one, I don't know why they had to mess with it.
2nd place plays 3rd place in both divisions no matter what

The higher division seed plays the lower wild card seed whether in the same division or not.

So it is possible for the 1st place team in the atlantic division to play 4th in the met divsion and 1st in the met division to play 4th in the atlantic in the same year.

I think the reason they did this is because of what went on the old format with the Southeast division; there were years when all the teams in that division were weak. While it's less likely to happen with bigger divisions, you'd be getting weak teams in the playoffs if they guaranteed the top 4 make it. They didnt want to go 1 through 8 seeding because they wanted to ensure some divisional matchups.

leeaf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:49 AM
  #80
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 4,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I am still confused as to how playoff seeding works. Let's say in our conference, in our division only 3 teams make the playoffs and from the Met division 5 teams make it, how will the seeding work? As in, who plays who. I am still not clear about that. The whole format just does not make sense to me. I think there was nothing wrong with the previous one, I don't know why they had to mess with it.
Let's see this is the seeding:

Atlantic:

Bos 100
Det 99
Ott 97
Tor 94*
Mtl 93*

* highlights the wild cards

Metro:

Pit 102
Phi 96
Caps 95

Since Pit is the top seed in East, they play Mtl, the lowest wildcard seed. Bos will play Tor, Det vs Ott and Phi vs Caps.

If Mtl wins, they play the winner of Phi vs Caps. If Tor wins, they play the winner of Det vs Ott.

Hope it makes sense.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:07 AM
  #81
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
I'm still confused with how there could be 16 teams in one conferene and 14 in the other.

There should be a playoff spot open for an Eastern conference team in the West. Kind of like a wildcard spot thats only available in the West because they have less teams and a Eastern team can claim it. Say the 9th best team in the East has 93 points and the 8th best team in the West has 92, that 9th place team in the East should have that playoff spot.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:32 AM
  #82
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 39,961
vCash: 500
Metropolitan Division
I can see where this is going:

The Batman and Robin division ala Metropolis

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
  #83
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 39,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I'm still confused with how there could be 16 teams in one conferene and 14 in the other.

There should be a playoff spot open for an Eastern conference team in the West. Kind of like a wildcard spot thats only available in the West because they have less teams and a Eastern team can claim it. Say the 9th best team in the East has 93 points and the 8th best team in the West has 92, that 9th place team in the East should have that playoff spot.
Imediately you think theres open slots available for two more western teams
But it's nothing relocation or expansion couldnt rectify in the near future

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:35 AM
  #84
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,093
vCash: 72
NY Mets to the NHL (E5)

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:43 AM
  #85
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
2nd place plays 3rd place in both divisions no matter what

The higher division seed plays the lower wild card seed whether in the same division or not.

So it is possible for the 1st place team in the atlantic division to play 4th in the met divsion and 1st in the met division to play 4th in the atlantic in the same year.

I think the reason they did this is because of what went on the old format with the Southeast division; there were years when all the teams in that division were weak. While it's less likely to happen with bigger divisions, you'd be getting weak teams in the playoffs if they guaranteed the top 4 make it. They didnt want to go 1 through 8 seeding because they wanted to ensure some divisional matchups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Let's see this is the seeding:

Atlantic:

Bos 100
Det 99
Ott 97
Tor 94*
Mtl 93*

* highlights the wild cards

Metro:

Pit 102
Phi 96
Caps 95

Since Pit is the top seed in East, they play Mtl, the lowest wildcard seed. Bos will play Tor, Det vs Ott and Phi vs Caps.

If Mtl wins, they play the winner of Phi vs Caps. If Tor wins, they play the winner of Det vs Ott.

Hope it makes sense.
Thanks to you both. It makes a lot of sense now.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:03 PM
  #86
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Imediately you think theres open slots available for two more western teams
But it's nothing relocation or expansion couldnt rectify in the near future
They'd have to expand into the Southwest. Not particularly the greatest hockey markets if you catch my drift. Seattle is the only decent option

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  #87
Chandler55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Let's see this is the seeding:

Atlantic:

Bos 100
Det 99
Ott 97
Tor 94*
Mtl 93*

* highlights the wild cards

Metro:

Pit 102
Phi 96
Caps 95

Since Pit is the top seed in East, they play Mtl, the lowest wildcard seed. Bos will play Tor, Det vs Ott and Phi vs Caps.

If Mtl wins, they play the winner of Phi vs Caps. If Tor wins, they play the winner of Det vs Ott.

Hope it makes sense.
ill give my soul to see detroit face ottawa in the playoffs

Chandler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:05 PM
  #88
Rusty545
Registered User
 
Rusty545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Well it seems if you make stupid divisions, it only makes sense to give them stupid names

Rusty545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:11 PM
  #89
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Metropolitan Division
I can see where this is going:

The Batman and Robin division ala Metropolis
That's Superman not Batman

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
  #90
Quarter
Cry Havoc
 
Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
They'd have to expand into the Southwest. Not particularly the greatest hockey markets if you catch my drift. Seattle is the only decent option
An argument could be made for Houston.

Quarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:16 PM
  #91
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
An argument could be made for Houston.
You're right, Houston is another one. It just wasn't 'traditional' enough for me to mention lol. I think those really are the only options though.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:16 PM
  #92
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 39,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
That's Superman not Batman
Oh yeah....Gotham

The Superman Division - i like it

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:04 PM
  #93
crazyaces**
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
So how fair is it that the eastern conference has 2 extra teams...seems so silly to me!

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  #94
Shimso
Registered User
 
Shimso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 50
I'd be happy with renaming it to the Ontario division.
Atlantic - only Boston and FLA are on the Atlantic
vs
Ontario - Toronto & Buffalo on Lake Ontario, Ottawa in the Province of Ontario

Shimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:08 PM
  #95
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Heaven forbid that the NHL name a division that contains one of the largest clusters of metropolitan areas on Earth the Metropolitan division.


rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:09 PM
  #96
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
So how fair is it that the eastern conference has 2 extra teams...seems so silly to me!
I am going to assume that you are either too young to remember what it was like when the Leafs were in the Western conference or too old to accurately remember it.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #97
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty545 View Post
Well it seems if you make stupid divisions, it only makes sense to give them stupid names
Divisions will never be perfect. Remember that any alignment has to be approved by 3/4 of the BoG which means that internal politics comes into play and you'll pretty much always end up with a compromise solution.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
  #98
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
They'd have to expand into the Southwest. Not particularly the greatest hockey markets if you catch my drift. Seattle is the only decent option
Portland would also seem to be an option. The Trailblazers apparently expressed interest in buying and relocating the Coyotes.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:03 PM
  #99
korndog81
Registered User
 
korndog81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Parry Sound
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Oh yeah....Gotham

The Superman Division - i like it
So would Spider-Man be the Atlantic since he's only across the lake from superman?

korndog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:36 PM
  #100
OneLeafsDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
(pacific, kariya) (central, Hull) (north east, Orr) (atlantic, Stevens)..maybe?

OneLeafsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.