HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 10:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3240 View Post
Preds plane hit a hawk on the way to washington and had to divert back to BNA.
Needless to say the preds players on twitter are...bored.

Rich Clune ‏@richcluneshow 1m
When Matt Hendricks is done his workout the gym needs ice packs and Bengay.
24:07 PM - 6 Dec 13 · Details

its good luck….. in Haiti

(I could have taken the low road and said I hope it was Kane or Toews… but its Christmas! )

Old
12-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Montross

vCash: 500
Here is an article on Puck Daddy. The first one I think I've seen out there suggesting Trotz's time is up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8509--nhl.html

From the article: "The argument is whether that system is a winning one, and the dearth of wins as they near the 30-game mark suggests it isn't. And now you're begin[ning] to lose the fanbase, one of hockey's best, both because the steam [team] is spinning its wheels and the hockey is boring in the meantime.

It's time for something else in Nashville, for the first time ever."

Old
12-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

ESPN ranks the Preds #28, ahead of only the Sabres and Isles.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:51 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
ESPN ranks the Preds #28, ahead of only the Sabres and Isles.
...and the Isles have already whooped us.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:24 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
...and the Isles have already whooped us.
Well they can't beat us again, Preds beat them in Nashville in October.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Preds33

Hutton playing tonight vs Rangers. And Smith probably out tonight as well, this time he's sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper
Looks like Carter Hutton will start tonight. Also all of Craig Smith's gear is here at MSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper
Craig Smith has flu like symptoms

Old
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
MrJoshua

I look at the team as it's structured right now and I find myself wondering if Poile is expecting a couple of down years in a row. It seems like the plan could be as follows:

1. Suck.

2. Draft high. Hopefully get good offensive pieces, unless a potential generational defensive talent like Jones falls in your lap (I seriously think Poile expected to end up with either Barkov or Drouin last year, and was shocked when Jones fell so far).

3. Let the young, high-talent players spend a season or two in the minors to get good seasoning so you aren't rushing anyone, and to generate chemistry with some of the players like Watson and so on that you expect to graduate to the team in the next year or so.

4. After a couple of years of this, you have probably a full line of highly talented offensive players ready to graduate to the team. At this point the defense should be worked into a tightly-meshed machine with Weber peaking, Jones rounding into shape, Josi and Klein continuing to improve, and Ellis either stepping forward to become one of the best third-pairing offensive defensemen in the league or trade bait.

5. Now you're losing some of the grinder contracts as they come off the books, bringing up high-end offensive talent you drafted during the sucking years and combining them with a defensive unit that's been together for a few years and have formed fantastic chemistry. And suddenly this become a dangerous team. Possibly a very dangerous team.

Of course this is probably just me being overly optimistic. But I think it could happen. Yes, in order to make it work we're going to have to suffer through at least another couple of seasons of suckage. Yes, that's going to be incredibly lame. But the defensive squad is young and extremely talented with Weber leading it (and remember, Weber's only 28 - he has YEARS of peak performance left in him). It takes longer to develop defense than offense. The defensive core pieces are either signed to long-term deals or young enough that they won't hit free agency for a long time. They could be rounding into shape nicely just as the expected high-talent high-draft-pick forwards are ready to come up from the minors.

So, yeah, it's conjecture. But when I look at this team, that's the path forward I see. It has the potential to be one of the best defensive units in the league in a couple of seasons. So let the grinders grind for a couple of years and pick some high-talent forwards, marinate them in the minors until ready, then explode onto the scene and have a team full of drafted players with contracts under your control for years and have a legitimate long-term window of Cup contention.

Or maybe we'll just keep sucking. Who knows? But I do at least hold out hope for the future.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Can Hutton keep it under 5? I doubt it.

I don't understand letting him play ever. He's not a NHL goalie.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I look at the team as it's structured right now and I find myself wondering if Poile is expecting a couple of down years in a row. It seems like the plan could be as follows:

1. Suck.

2. Draft high. Hopefully get good offensive pieces, unless a potential generational defensive talent like Jones falls in your lap (I seriously think Poile expected to end up with either Barkov or Drouin last year, and was shocked when Jones fell so far).

3. Let the young, high-talent players spend a season or two in the minors to get good seasoning so you aren't rushing anyone, and to generate chemistry with some of the players like Watson and so on that you expect to graduate to the team in the next year or so.

4. After a couple of years of this, you have probably a full line of highly talented offensive players ready to graduate to the team. At this point the defense should be worked into a tightly-meshed machine with Weber peaking, Jones rounding into shape, Josi and Klein continuing to improve, and Ellis either stepping forward to become one of the best third-pairing offensive defensemen in the league or trade bait.

5. Now you're losing some of the grinder contracts as they come off the books, bringing up high-end offensive talent you drafted during the sucking years and combining them with a defensive unit that's been together for a few years and have formed fantastic chemistry. And suddenly this become a dangerous team. Possibly a very dangerous team.

Of course this is probably just me being overly optimistic. But I think it could happen. Yes, in order to make it work we're going to have to suffer through at least another couple of seasons of suckage. Yes, that's going to be incredibly lame. But the defensive squad is young and extremely talented with Weber leading it (and remember, Weber's only 28 - he has YEARS of peak performance left in him). It takes longer to develop defense than offense. The defensive core pieces are either signed to long-term deals or young enough that they won't hit free agency for a long time. They could be rounding into shape nicely just as the expected high-talent high-draft-pick forwards are ready to come up from the minors.

So, yeah, it's conjecture. But when I look at this team, that's the path forward I see. It has the potential to be one of the best defensive units in the league in a couple of seasons. So let the grinders grind for a couple of years and pick some high-talent forwards, marinate them in the minors until ready, then explode onto the scene and have a team full of drafted players with contracts under your control for years and have a legitimate long-term window of Cup contention.

Or maybe we'll just keep sucking. Who knows? But I do at least hold out hope for the future.
Kinda like what the Blues did a few years ago, and it sure worked. Can we hang on through games with 6,000 butts in the seats, though? Remember when they were giving away food and still couldn't sell tickets?

Old
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

1. Suck.

They should at least tell us what the plan is, this mediocrity has got to stop, if it's go the Chicago way (The Tallon Years) of sucking for a few years, I can live with it... but the team shouldn't allow Poile or Trotz to rebuild the team (they had their chance & both should be gone after this season)

Old
12-10-2013, 06:07 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

They have to give Maz a rest. Should have given him one in the back to back. He's had a rough last couple of games and no it wasn't all his fault but taking a break maybe good for him and Hutton is out to prove himself so lets see if he can.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:13 PM
originalpredfan

Quote:

1. Suck.

So I take it you are implying that the same person who created this situation be the one to give a couple of years to rectify it?

Old
12-10-2013, 10:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:

Oops...

Old
12-11-2013, 01:06 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

It looks like he performed tonight like he did in four of his first six appearances. Unfortunately he's inconsistent .... half of his starts are good, half very problematic ... 1g allowed in over 88 minutes of play in relief of Rinne or Maz ... either Jeckyll or Hyde.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:16 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

argh

Old
12-11-2013, 08:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Oops...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It looks like he performed tonight like he did in four of his first six appearances. Unfortunately he's inconsistent .... half of his starts are good, half very problematic ... 1g allowed in over 88 minutes of play in relief of Rinne or Maz ... either Jeckyll or Hyde.
Or the Rangers were good at making him look good. He did have a few good saves but wait, he'll return to form.

Old
12-13-2013, 04:52 PM
RomanEmpire

Lol I thought this was hilarious.

@VicBartley8: "We're the only line in the NHL that dumps the puck when we're already in the offensive zone" @MattHendy26 #wagons #stayheavy

Old
12-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Montross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Lol I thought this was hilarious.

@VicBartley8: "We're the only line in the NHL that dumps the puck when we're already in the offensive zone" @MattHendy26 #wagons #stayheavy
I would find that funny too if it wasn't true.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Preds33

Hutton named NHL 3rd Star of the week.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696189

Old
12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So if he's following Maz pattern he should fall apart completely soon.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trotz torched Wilson this morning,without naming him directly. "The frustrating thing is that it's the same players making mental errors over and over again."

This in reference to the too-many-men penalties last night, of which Wilson caused two and very nearly caused a third.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Trotz torched Wilson this morning,without naming him directly. "The frustrating thing is that it's the same players making mental errors over and over again."

This in reference to the too-many-men penalties last night, of which Wilson caused two and very nearly caused a third.
I am a huge Trotz fan and do not think we can do better in Nashville but I blame the coaching staff for those. The players have some responsability as well but if you want your forward lines to build some sort of chemistry together it would probably be best to have them play together for more than a game or two. When you start changing lines in the middle of a game like they tend to do often I can see where there could be some issues with who should be on the ice and when.

You don't see Chicago changing their lines in the middle of a game even when we wooped them 7-2...

Old
12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I am a huge Trotz fan and do not think we can do better in Nashville but I blame the coaching staff for those. The players have some responsability as well but if you want your forward lines to build some sort of chemistry together it would probably be best to have them play together for more than a game or two. When you start changing lines in the middle of a game like they tend to do often I can see where there could be some issues with who should be on the ice and when.

You don't see Chicago changing their lines in the middle of a game even when we wooped them 7-2...
Trotz basically explained that sometimes it's coaching, sometimes it's a mental lapse by the player. The LW relieves the LW, the C relieves the C, etc. In Wilson's case, he jumped on the ice to relieve a player that was carrying the puck...so there was essentially no excuse.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Well, there you have it. Via SLake's twitter, Bourque is in for Wilson. We're back to him being scratched.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just...wow. If I was Wilson, I'd want out.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarnberg

I know mistakes were made. But shouldn't Trotz be more worried about the fact that we again scored only one goal? You don't win too many games scoring one goal.

Closed Thread