HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013-2014 Schedule Released (Schedule/Divisions/Realignment Discussion)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2013, 09:48 PM
  #176
JohnC
Registered User
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
I think I'm gonna stop watching NHL hockey because of this division name debacle. It's the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of ever

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:56 PM
  #177
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,021
vCash: 500
So does having 2 fewer teams in the Western conference mean it will be easier for them to make the playoffs? How is this fair?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:10 PM
  #178
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
So does having 2 fewer teams in the Western conference mean it will be easier for them to make the playoffs? How is this fair?
They could have put 15 teams in each conference...but I'm guessing they are aiming to add 2 expansion teams to the west within the next 5 years, so that will balance things out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
  #179
Leetch3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
So does having 2 fewer teams in the Western conference mean it will be easier for them to make the playoffs? How is this fair?
playoffs are now by division...so it is a disadvantage to teams in divisions with 8 teams instead of 7. both of those divisions are in the east but if they had left it 15 & 15 there would still be 2 divisions with 8 and 2 divisions with 7

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:21 PM
  #180
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
playoffs are now by division...so it is a disadvantage to teams in divisions with 8 teams instead of 7. both of those divisions are in the east but if they had left it 15 & 15 there would still be 2 divisions with 8 and 2 divisions with 7
True, but with 8/7 and 8/7 at least you'd still have 8 of 15 teams making it in each division. Now the west teams will have an 8/14 chance as opposed to the tougher 8/16 in the east. It would only be harder to win your division when you're in one with 8 teams...but at least you'd have the same shot at making the playoffs as any other team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:59 PM
  #181
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 18,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
And how would you know that? Yea... NHL execs have shown to be a competent bunch.
I've read this thread.

Plus, you don't get into those positions by being incompetent.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
  #182
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I've read this thread.

Plus, you don't get into those positions by being incompetent.
*insert Enron joke here*

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:36 AM
  #183
Captain Monglobster
Registered User
 
Captain Monglobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Palestine
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
We play Carolina the same amount of times we play the Flyers. We don't play every team in the division the same amount of times.

I don't even want to get into the playoff system. I might eventually stop watching the NHL at this rate.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:30 AM
  #184
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 57,552
vCash: 500
9 game road stint to start the season will be tough.

Wow 20+ back to backs for Devils. Talk about a brutal schedule.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:52 AM
  #185
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
They could have put 15 teams in each conference...but I'm guessing they are aiming to add 2 expansion teams to the west within the next 5 years, so that will balance things out.
Ugh.

The league is watered down as it is, IMO. Last thing I want to see is expansion

Ideally there should be 26 or 28 teams.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
  #186
GordonGecko
Custom User Title
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Ugh.

The league is watered down as it is, IMO. Last thing I want to see is expansion

Ideally there should be 26 or 28 teams.
It's watered down x2:

- Too many teams
- Too many games in a season

28 teams would probably be fine (14 in each conference) the schedule should be more like 70 games instead of 82

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:33 AM
  #187
silverfish
Not a GM
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alphabetrium
Country: United States
Posts: 30,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
It's watered down x2:

- Too many teams
- Too many games in a season

28 teams would probably be fine (14 in each conference) the schedule should be more like 70 games instead of 82
Sign me up for 26 and 72. Unfortunately what I'm sure we're soon to see is 32 and 84.

Not like the NHLPA (or NHL, stupidly enough) would ever go for contraction. Oh well.

I just sent my email to Brian Jennings. I'm not expecting a response at all. If I get one, I'll let you guys know what he says.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:36 AM
  #188
Lee Warren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Hi all

I'm finally getting the chance to visit NY during the NHL season and was hoping to take in some Rangers games. Does anyone know when single game tickets will become available for the following games (including the Yankee Stadium game against the Devils)

SUN JAN 19, 2014 CAPITALS RANGERS
TUE JAN 21, 2014 ISLANDERS RANGERS
THU JAN 23, 2014 BLUES RANGERS
SUN JAN 26, 2014 RANGERS DEVILS (Yankee Stadium)

Thanks Lee

Lee Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:12 AM
  #189
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 18,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
*insert Enron joke here*


Fair enough, although I would make a distinction between incompetence and corruption.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  #190
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
why do the rangers play the first nine games on the road? it's not like the knicks will be playing and i think the circus is no longer an obstacle. what gives? seems a bit unfair, unless there's construction or something...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:52 AM
  #191
srsly989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Warren View Post
Hi all

I'm finally getting the chance to visit NY during the NHL season and was hoping to take in some Rangers games. Does anyone know when single game tickets will become available for the following games (including the Yankee Stadium game against the Devils)

SUN JAN 19, 2014 CAPITALS RANGERS
TUE JAN 21, 2014 ISLANDERS RANGERS
THU JAN 23, 2014 BLUES RANGERS
SUN JAN 26, 2014 RANGERS DEVILS (Yankee Stadium)

Thanks Lee
Singles are usually out by late September. The Yankee Stadium game might be different, since the Devils are the host.

srsly989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
  #192
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
why do the rangers play the first nine games on the road? it's not like the knicks will be playing and i think the circus is no longer an obstacle. what gives? seems a bit unfair, unless there's construction or something...
Yup. That's pretty much it. I don't mind, though. We have a lot of new faces and this gives them a chance to bond a bit. We have a schedule about as friendly as it can get to be honest. December should be a great time for this team to get on a solid roll.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
  #193
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
why do the rangers play the first nine games on the road? it's not like the knicks will be playing and i think the circus is no longer an obstacle. what gives? seems a bit unfair, unless there's construction or something...
Not trying to be a jerk, but where have you been the last 3 years? lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
  #194
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but where have you been the last 3 years? lol
japan and the uk.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
  #195
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Yup. That's pretty much it. I don't mind, though. We have a lot of new faces and this gives them a chance to bond a bit. We have a schedule about as friendly as it can get to be honest. December should be a great time for this team to get on a solid roll.
thank you. yeah, it's definitely an opportunity for them to bond. i hope they make it work.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  #196
GordonGecko
Custom User Title
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but where have you been the last 3 years? lol
remember that guy Khan in star trek who was frozen and ejected into space for decades then all of a sudden got woken up by Captain Kirk?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:18 PM
  #197
Lee Warren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
Singles are usually out by late September. The Yankee Stadium game might be different, since the Devils are the host.
Thank you.

Lee Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  #198
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
remember that guy Khan in star trek who was frozen and ejected into space for decades then all of a sudden got woken up by Captain Kirk?
Right. Talk about a mind blowing experience!


broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
  #199
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
japan and the uk.
Fair enough...although i always thought the internet was a worldwide phenomenon.

Seriously though, MSG is in the final phase of a 3 summer ($800,000,000) renovation project. For the past two seasons, and now finally with the upcoming one, the Rangers will not have any home pre-season games and they will also begin the year with a lengthy road trip while the current construction phase is wrapped up. Two summers ago in phase I they renovated the lower bowl and concourses, last summer in phase II they did the upper bowl and concourses, and this summer in phase III they are installing the sky bridges and new center ice scoreboard, redoing the ice making system and renovating the Garden entrance.

http://www.msgtransformation.com/Celebrate.aspx

http://www.msgtransformation.com/EarthCam.aspx

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
  #200
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,962
vCash: 500
Stupid question of the day and likely been asked before;

With the city of Detroit declaring itself bankrupt, how does that affect the red wings and the NHL?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.