HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues13 vs Blues12

View Poll Results: Are the 2013-14 Blues Better Than '12-13
Yes 52 91.23%
No 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2013, 12:48 PM
SunDin

vCash: 500
Blues13 vs Blues12

Wanted to make a poll but I couldnt figure out how.
Question: Is this team better this year or last year?

My few cents,
JayBo & Petros chemistry can only have gotten better
Perron gone MPJ & Roy in to me is an improvement
Tarasenko 1 year older + training camp + less games/week is a big up

To me, this is a better team this year.
Have I missed out on anything?

SunDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:53 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
Schwartz and Shattenkirk seem to have made great strides to improve

Leopold with Polak would be a decent thing, if that is the pairing.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

yes the new Blues are definitely better but I still think the Blues12 are a quite a bit better than the Blues12/lockout-editon.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
HooliganX2

For me it's a wait and see. Sure they in theory should be better. Until we get some games into the season I will reserves my judgment.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDin View Post
Wanted to make a poll but I couldnt figure out how.
Question: Is this team better this year or last year?

My few cents,
JayBo & Petros chemistry can only have gotten better
Perron gone MPJ & Roy in to me is an improvement
Tarasenko 1 year older + training camp + less games/week is a big up

To me, this is a better team this year.
Have I missed out on anything?
Subtract McDonald. His level of play dropped off pretty dramatically in the last year, but you still have to replace his production. To my mind, his place in the line-up was actually starting to become a detriment to the team, since there wasn't really anywhere else good to play him (not on the bottom 6 due to his size).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
The Legend
GW

I'm not a Blues fan at all, but I was perusing Cap Geek and came across your roster. I must say that you guys have an extremely solid team. I'm sure there are some intricacies I don't know given that I don't follow the team, but from 30,000 feet I think the Blues will go far this year. Good luck.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:37 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
We'll all know during or after the playoffs when it really counts.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I'm not a Blues fan at all, but I was perusing Cap Geek and came across your roster. I must say that you guys have an extremely solid team. I'm sure there are some intricacies I don't know given that I don't follow the team, but from 30,000 feet I think the Blues will go far this year. Good luck.
One would think that most clubs are going to have to make due with a couple holes in their rosters to accomodate the lowered salary cap. The Blues have managed to actually shore up their roster (because in real terms their internal cap has increased), but that has to be the exception rather than the rule around the league.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
We'll all know during or after the playoffs when it really counts.
As much as that sounds like a generalization, I think it is really true. Our team has enough to get to the playoffs but how much better will we be and how have we advanced as a team?

Only time will tell. I do think we have a better squad this year but it will all depend on how they play together

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
On paper? Absolutely.

A full season is only going to help prepare for when it matters. Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo has the potential to be the best pairing in the League, Leopold will hopefully find his game if he is utilised correctly, Roy will hopefully be a significant upgrade on the 2013 McDonald (not saying he played C). The bonus of having Steen in his proper position the full season. Then we'll hopefully see growth from the likes of Tarasenko and Schwartz.

There should be an expectation that we'll be clearly better this coming season. Whether it plays out that way or not is another matter.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
On paper? Absolutely.

A full season is only going to help prepare for when it matters. Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo has the potential to be the best pairing in the League, Leopold will hopefully find his game if he is utilised correctly, Roy will hopefully be a significant upgrade on the 2013 McDonald (not saying he played C). The bonus of having Steen in his proper position the full season. Then we'll hopefully see growth from the likes of Tarasenko and Schwartz.

There should be an expectation that we'll be clearly better this coming season. Whether it plays out that way or not is another matter.
You make a great point about the benefits of adding Roy. People are fixed on what his production will be and poo-pooing that he's past his prime, etc. That remains to be seen. But he certainly frees up Steen (or Sobotka) form that 3C spot to play a more natural position.

The club really missed Steen's intense forecheck during the time he was at Center. I think it was more the absence of his effectiveness at wing, rather than anything wrong he was doing at center, which led to Sobotka being moved into that spot instead. Vlad did an admirable job, but he's still not the guy I want to have slotted in at 3C out of camp. I think fans tend to root for him as an underdog, rather than truly feeling he's instilling the fear of God into the opponents. Berglund at 3C is a luxury for this team, and its nice to know there are capable utility players on the roster if the team needs to mix things up (guys like Sobotka, Porter, Steen, who could all play center if need be, not to mention Aucoin who could come in).

But having lines practice together, with Steen back at the wing, I think this is going to pay off hugely.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:15 PM
The Legend
GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
One would think that most clubs are going to have to make due with a couple holes in their rosters to accomodate the lowered salary cap. The Blues have managed to actually shore up their roster (because in real terms their internal cap has increased), but that has to be the exception rather than the rule around the league.
It just seems like extremely effective planning by your front office. Pietrangelo is still unsigned sure, but the Blues have left almost $10M in cap space just for him and a rainy day. The only real free agent you signed was a one year deal to Roy. It's all just very impressive, especially in a year when so many GM's are being foolish and handing out ridiculous contracts (what else is new).

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:45 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
It just seems like extremely effective planning by your front office. Pietrangelo is still unsigned sure, but the Blues have left almost $10M in cap space just for him and a rainy day. The only real free agent you signed was a one year deal to Roy. It's all just very impressive, especially in a year when so many GM's are being foolish and handing out ridiculous contracts (what else is new).
Pencil in Pietro's contract (maybe 7M AAV or something in that ball park), Pajaarvi (1.5M). There will be a little bit under the cap left....enough to entertain a rental at the trade deadline.

Last edited by 2 Minute Minor: 07-29-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 06:45 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

On paper? Absolutely. In reality? we will see.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:54 AM
BluesBrother

This team should be more balanced than last years team. Losing McDonald I don't see as a problem, maybe he will be missed in the locker room. Perron has huge talent, maybe too much of an artist for this team. We'll see how Roy will generate good passes for guys like stewart. Maybe bergie and MPS
Will click? Our D is very good. Healthy Halak should help a lot. And training camp for hitch is a bonus, plus He knows players better now.. I want to see this years team better, but we'll see.. On paper, absolutely better IMO!

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

I think so, but just to be safe, let someone else play and beat LA please.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBrother View Post
This team should be more balanced than last years team. Losing McDonald I don't see as a problem, maybe he will be missed in the locker room. Perron has huge talent, maybe too much of an artist for this team. We'll see how Roy will generate good passes for guys like stewart. Maybe bergie and MPS
Will click? Our D is very good. Healthy Halak should help a lot. And training camp for hitch is a bonus, plus He knows players better now.. I want to see this years team better, but we'll see.. On paper, absolutely better IMO!
While I agree that we should be better next year; I don't get the "more balanced" thing.
The Blues lost 2 players who were projected to 40 points and picked up one guy who projected for 50 points and one guy who projected for 30 points.

If anything, the Blues got more top heavy this year while solidifying the defensive game in the lower 6. We should be better because of it, but "more balanced" isn't the right term IMO.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:31 AM
BluesBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
While I agree that we should be better next year; I don't get the "more balanced" thing.
The Blues lost 2 players who were projected to 40 points and picked up one guy who projected for 50 points and one guy who projected for 30 points.

If anything, the Blues got more top heavy this year while solidifying the defensive game in the lower 6. We should be better because of it, but "more balanced" isn't the right term IMO.
I understand your point, but for example getting our D set is a huge bonus for the Blues. Last year we had Cole or REDDEN playing with petro at the beginning, WTF? It will be totally different for our team this year. Even with Petro going down for an injury, I can see us winning games now. Last year was different.

I love Perron as a player, but at the same time everyone got frustrated watching Him keeping the puck too long. Maybe Perron would have been a monster with Roy? We never know.

If Hitch can teach MPS to play plain and simple, this deal could end up being a steal for us.

Maybe the term Balanced is wrong, but what I meant considering our Forwards is that now Schwartz and Tarasenko have a better chance to gain PP time and produce. Perron would have been ahead of them both in ice time. And McDonald. It really was sad to see McDonald play last year, in many games I thought He should be the odd man out.

Can't wait season to begin. I tend to lose my objectivity in summer time considering our team. Every year I wait better times, let's hope we can do some damage!

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote