HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs sign G Christopher Gibson (ELC)

Old
07-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
4. Macintyre......been around for a while if he was that good he should already be in the NHL.
He's already had a couple of coffees in the NHL, he's not NHL good but he's AHL great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnleaf81 View Post
His father is English martial arts teacher, fell in love with Finnish girl in London and moved to Finland.
I thought his dad was from Nigeria?

I told my brother this and he was confused on how Gibson fell into the Leafs lap, he was quite pleased about Gibson signing. High reward, low risk.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:13 AM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjes Baumingdyk View Post
He's already had a couple of coffees in the NHL, he's not NHL good but he's AHL great.

I thought his dad was from Nigeria?

I told my brother this and he was confused on how Gibson fell into the Leafs lap, he was quite pleased about Gibson signing. High reward, low risk.
I'm not sure I see that super high potential in him. He really hasn't done anything since being drafted (hence being let go by the kings despite being their top selection). I'm hoping his career takes a big turn though and he can become a top ahler or a backup in the nhl.

edit: when i say hasn't done anything, I should be clear that I mean he hasn't done anything to stand out. It's not like he suddenly became a terrible goalie.

thehockeysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:36 AM
hockeywiz542

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=549937

Quote:
Gibson's Love For Hockey and Ruisleipä

By Mike Ulmer

He sounds French around the edges with an accent that suggests a Francophone kid who grew up with English television and video games.

He looks a Quebec goalie, a reed thin, six-foot-one third generation disciple of Francois Allaire, a goalie whose stock and trade is angles and percentages.

But when he thinks about home, he thinks about his favorite food, a brown sweetbread called ruisleipä.

Christopher Gibson's accent isn't French. He is a Finnish goalie who arrived from Saskatchewan to pursue his career in Chicoutimi, the son of a black belt martial arts instructor from England and a Finnish mother.

He may be the only ruisleipä loving goalie in the 2011 Home Hardware Top Prospects Game although to be fair, that's just a guess. He is likely the only Finnish goalie coached by Don Cherry.

The story begins 30 years ago when a British man named Peter Gibson acquires a black belt and falls in love with a Finnish aux pere named Ulla Perttilahti who is working in England.

The two head back to Finland where the martial arts business thrives. So does the marital one. Ulla takes a job selling medical supplies and they have two children, one who would develop into a young goalie who patterns himself after Mikka Kirprusoff.

Everything is coursing along predictably until the kid goes to a tournament in Quebec.

"After that tournament, all I wanted to do was stay in North America," he said.

"My parents said 'go-go'. They knew I wanted to go and they knew playing in North America would be a big step forward."

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Oh god. Use your head.

Please tell me you're not serious, first off that site's garbage and cheap.

Then when you click on the Leafs, it says things like "Andrew Brunette was added to the Maple Leafs", "Leafs trade Byfuglien to the Jets", "Leafs add Frolov". So its kinda clear its like a fantasy keeper league site or something, idk.

Thirdly, it says Owuya retired from the Leafs in 2012... Its 2013, and he was just in our system.

I wasn't going to be mean and reply, but I was worried you'd post it again.
I think that guy was using a fantasy keeper league's website...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Hextall said the issue was contract limit, you can only have 50 contracts signed and they were pushing the limit so they had to let him go.
He was being nice to the kid too. The kid was drafted and really flattened out. You dont NOT sign your second round picks unless there's something very wrong.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:28 AM
VL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Remember when "Free Wallets" Gustavsson, Scrivens, Ryannas and Owuya where the last batch to solidify Leafs future in net?.

Hopefully the new batch has more success then the last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
Remember when you loved the Raycroft trade?
Whatever happened to that "Razor Sharp" goaltending?

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:17 AM
trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjes Baumingdyk View Post
They signed Mac before they invited Gibby to camp (I think). Anyway, it makes for good form to have a vet to start and the rooks to spell him off.

I said a hip-hop-hibbie the hibbie to the hip hip hoppa you don't stop the pucka, now suckaz back in Stockholm cause he felt all alone. So the Leafs signed the finnish Gibby.

Beat me to it.......

Maybe he saw the logjam in the crease and felt uninspired.
It would be disheartening to look up the depth chart and see the young starter and then a guy like Bernier sitting right there looking to take the starter role himself.

Change of scenery should do him well.

Thanks for the goalie depth LA!

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
http://www.lnhvs.com/news.php?team=27&article=6723

Retires from the Leafs........................but maybe not hockey.
That's a fantasy simulator, tell me you're not serious.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:36 PM
goonx

with goalies, it's really a crap shoot. Late picks becoming vezina winners and top picks never living up to their hype.

Tim Thomas, Lundqvist, Rinne vs. Fleury (still out for debate), Dipietro, Al Montoya

Carey Price is probably the best notable success of being a hyped goalie becoming a #1.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:49 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
with goalies, it's really a crap shoot. Late picks becoming vezina winners and top picks never living up to their hype.

Tim Thomas, Lundqvist, Rinne vs. Fleury (still out for debate), Dipietro, Al Montoya

Carey Price is probably the best notable success of being a hyped goalie becoming a #1.
He is a very driven individual who will only use this as further motivation to work harder at his craft. The jr team had a change of goalie coaches and as Chris is a player who is very receptive to change...this could explain, his season.. He was a huge fan of Marc Denis.

I feel that we have gotten a gift....and he will develop into a NHL goalie as he processes all the necessary attribute to help him succeed.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:45 PM
hockeywiz542

Quote:
Christopher Gibson

Goalie

Born Dec 27 1992

Height 6.01 -- Weight 198 -- Shoots L

Selected by Los Angeles Kings round 2 #49 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Old
07-20-2013, 07:02 PM
hockeywiz542

https://twitter.com/CGibber37/status/358358985323208704

Quote:
Christopher Gibson

‏@CGibber37

Really proud to be part of a great organization #DreamComeTrue #leafs pic.twitter.com/X2gJXsxsZA

3:53 PM - 19 Jul 13

Old
07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...topher_gibson/

Quote:
2011-12: Gibson appeared in a career-high 48 games for Chicoutimi in his third QMJHL season and played for Finland in the 2012 U20 World Junior Championship. He was 27-17-4 with 3 shutouts and had a 2.97 goals against and .893 save percentage for the Sagueneens. Chicoutimi finished fifth in the East Division but then advanced to the playoff semifinals. Gibson was 9-9 with 1 shutout in 18 playoff games and had a 3.12 goals against and .903 save percentage. Gibson was 1-1 in two games for fourth-place Finland at the WJC and had a 4.50 goals against and .866 save percentage.

Talent Analysis

Thanks to his great positioning, any puck that Gibson can see, he's likely going to be able to stop. Technically solid and aggressive in his crease, he moves well and is quick to cut down the angles. In addition to his strong glove hand, he also controls his rebounds extremely well.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:41 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Not going to lie he's a good looking guy. I hope he turns things around.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
source ? I swear he said he was looking at options in North America and he said he has some offers from teams in Sweden
What a joke that was. He'll be out of hockey - did someone say he retired?

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

can some1 give us the low down on the fin's military service enrollment or whatever? is that mandatory?

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Ankka

It's mandatory but you can seek postponement. Many Finnish top sports people who live in abroad try to fix the army so that it's the best time from them, like Mikko Koivu wen't in to the army at age 27, usually it's at age 18. There is also a specific athletics army school where you learn the basic army stuff but you can also uphold you profession also.

Ankka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Finnpin

Few days ago I was just wondering where he might end up and it's good to see him getting signed. Go Gibson!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
DevinH2004

He kind of looks like Pauly D from Jersey Shore.

DevinH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote