HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wpg/col

Old
07-21-2013, 03:33 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorix View Post
There are far, far more than just a couple players in the league that Winnipeg's GM would theoretically trade Bogosian for.
This jets fan couldn't agree more.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
You're making us look bad. Duchene and Bogosian are pretty similar in value. I wouldn't blame the Avs one bit if they didn't want to do that trade.

Bogosian is way better than EJ though, I agree there.

Big three? Did you wake up this morning and think, "I'm going to copy annoying Oiler fan tendencies?"

If so, you're still missing the part where you start expanding the number to include players no one else values as highly (i.e. Schultz; big-5)
I've heard that phrase for years. It definitely didn't originate with oiler fans a year ago. It's easier than listing them out as you know I was talking about hunwick, sarich, and McLeod.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
Sorry Avs fans, there are only a couple of people in the league that have the same value as Bogo once you take into account intangibles, and Duchene and ROR are not of that illustrious group. If Bogo gets traded (he won't) then I want it to be a player who will completely push us over into a perennial playoff team. Duchene & ROR don't do that imo.

I also think Bogo is much better than EJ, I'm surprised that's up for debate tbh.
This Jets fan thinks there are many players they'd trade Bogosian for. As much as I like him and believe he'll be a #1 or #2 at some point, IMHO there are more than a few players of equal or better worth than him.

I feel so dirty saying that as I think he's a stud d-man, but...

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:38 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Duchene >> Bogosian no matter how much you like the guy. And I like Bogosian as well.

And what makes Bogosian leaps and bounds better than Erik Johnson? I'd love to see a statistical explanation of that. (I'm not saying its not true, I just don't understand why he's so much better)

jfisher6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Duchene >> Bogosian no matter how much you like the guy. And I like Bogosian as well.

And what makes Bogosian leaps and bounds better than Erik Johnson? I'd love to see a statistical explanation of that. (I'm not saying its not true, I just don't understand why he's so much better)
He is a career minus forty something, he is god dude!

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
You're making us look bad. Duchene and Bogosian are pretty similar in value. I wouldn't blame the Avs one bit if they didn't want to do that trade.
I don't blame the Avs one bit if they wouldn't trade Duchene for Bogosian. In a vacuum their value is probably pretty similar. But I just wouldn't trade Bogo for him. And most Avs fans likely wouldn't trade Duchene for Bogo either.

Also, I said there are only a few players who, when taken into account Bogo's intangibles are of equal value to him. There are plenty who are better than him, that I would likely trade Bogo for in a heartbeat, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Weber, etc etc. But those players will never be traded for Bogo so there's no point in comparing his value to them right now. There are far less players who are of equal value to Bogo.

As for what makes him better than EJ, well I would say that Bogo has had similar offensive production while playing harder minutes, and is much better as a defensive/shutdown dman. He's also 2 years younger.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
cgf

EJ is a phenomenal defensive defensemen, so I'd like to see the case for Bogo being so vastly superior defensively. Other than not come off of a year where he got concussed in a shortened season and was stuck trying to recover playing next to HunnyBunny.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
EJ is a phenomenal defensive defensemen, so I'd like to see the case for Bogo being so vastly superior defensively. Other than not come off of a year where he got concussed in a shortened season and was stuck trying to recover playing next to HunnyBunny.
Oh? My apologies then, as I thought most Avs fans weren't very happy with his defensive play.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Oh? My apologies then, as I thought most Avs fans weren't very happy with his defensive play.
Nope, we're mostly annoyed that under Sacco he had a hard time finding an assist, let alone a goal. He's running out of excuses offensively if he can't produce under Roy. But his defensive game is highly underrated around here when he's not injured (concussion last season, back problems the year before). Not many players have the combination of size, skating, physicality and defensive acumen that he does.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
We're more upset with who he's been given as a partner for top-pairing duties. He's gotten nothing but bottom pairing defensemen for the most part.

EJ is our only really good Dman. Barrie is getting there but EJ is on an island far from the rest of our defense

jfisher6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:41 PM
cgf

Yeah, when EJ's playing well it's just a blast watching him ride even the past forwards off the puck along the boards. The big problem is he's got no confidence in the offensive zone because he's gotten so used to looking out for his partner to do something stupid and give the puck away.

He almost never goes down and gets involved himself and his shot is guaranteed to hit someone because he's more worried about getting back to cover for Quincey, O'Brien, Wilson, HunnyBunny or whatever else crap partner we've thrown out next to him, than he is getting the puck into the net.

Although he is still a train on skates when he does decide to rush the puck up ice, it's just when he gets into the offensive zone that like PTSD all of a sudden all he can think about is what stupid thing his partner is gunna do. Which is why I daydream of him getting to play with a smart, smooth-skating, and reliable partner like Vlasic, Enstrom...or Barrie growing into that caliber of player.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:01 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
EJ is a phenomenal defensive defensemen
Oh, for goodness sake, please stop. He most certainly is not, or did not show it last season.

Sheesh.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:25 PM
B A T M A N*

Mackinnon for Bogo + 2nd

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:26 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1087
Quote:
Sorry, but who is "HunnyBunny"?

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Mackinnon for Bogo + 2nd
Hall for Bogo + 2nd?

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:37 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, please stop. He most certainly is not, or did not show it last season.

Sheesh.
The second part of your response doesn't contradict what I've said at all. Last year was a rough year from him, as he never got going after the concussion. That doesn't mean that he hasn't been excellent in his own zone when healthy for us.

HunnyBunny is the eternally sexy Matt Hunwick

Old
07-21-2013, 08:38 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
The one and only Matt Hunwick.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
shameful, not knowing who HunnyBunny is.

It's Hunwick btw

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:41 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
The second part of your response doesn't contradict what I've said at all. Last year was a rough year from him, as he never got going after the concussion. That doesn't mean that he hasn't been excellent in his own zone when healthy for us.
He's only slightly above average so far in Colorado in my opinion. I'll wait to see what he looks like under Roy.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:42 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
shameful, not knowing who HunnyBunny is.

It's Hunwick btw
Sorry don't follow the Avs. Pretty much concentrated on the East and the Canadian teams in the West. I guess that will all change now that we are division rivals.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Except that he hasn't been excellent in his own zone for Colorado.

Decent? Yes. Reasonable? Yes. OK? Yes.

Phenomenal, exceptional, excellent? Not even remotely close.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
cgf

Not the first time I disagree drastically with your assessment of EJ or Varly. I'm sure it won't be the last *shrug* When EJ's been healthy and playing well he's been awesome. Now it's up to him and Roy to get a full year of 23+ minute a night kicking all kinds of ass EJ.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:14 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Not the first time I disagree drastically with your assessment of EJ or Varly. I'm sure it won't be the last *shrug* When EJ's been healthy and playing well he's been awesome. Now it's up to him and Roy to get a full year of 23+ minute a night kicking all kinds of ass EJ.
Have we disagreed about Varlamov? If so, I don't really remember. I'm generally not terribly opinionated about or critical of him.

As for EJ - a lot of players have been "awesome" when healthy and 'playing well'. How often it truly happens is the question.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:21 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Have we disagreed about Varlamov? If so, I don't really remember. I'm generally not terribly opinionated about or critical of him.

As for EJ - a lot of players have been "awesome" when healthy and 'playing well'. How often it truly happens is the question.
It happened after we got him at the deadline three seasons ago. It happened again the next season once his name got taken out of the running for the C until his back injury, and it happened until he got his concussion last year. That's a lot of "really awesome" EJ when he's been healthy for us.

Might be mixing you up with somebody else on Varly then.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:30 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
It happened after we got him at the deadline three seasons ago. It happened again the next season once his name got taken out of the running for the C until his back injury, and it happened until he got his concussion last year. That's a lot of "really awesome" EJ when he's been healthy for us.

Might be mixing you up with somebody else on Varly then.
Yeah, I admit I'm not terribly good at assessing goaltenders, so I don't generally spout off about them. I like Varlamov's quickness from side-to-side, but feel he lets out really big rebounds a lot - sometimes on pretty rudimentary shots. Other than that, I'm just not sure. Hope that works out.

On EJ's defense, you and I definitely disagree. I welcome the continued discussion, but have not seen what you have seen. At least not as often. I hope something clicks this season.